Is there really that big of a difference between squatting/oly lifts with actual weightlifting shoes and squatting/oly...

Is there really that big of a difference between squatting/oly lifts with actual weightlifting shoes and squatting/oly lifting without them?

no big difference if you're flexible

If you're not, there is a lot of difference

I wear an old pair of wrestling shoes I got at a thrift store. Comfiest shoe I've ever worn. GOAT for lifting. Never gonna wear anything but to the gym unless I actually start lift heavy enough to warrant buying actual weightlifting shoes.

Yes it makes a difference but only if you lift big

i lift barefoot or in socks. anyone else do this?

just for deadlift, i would if i were flexible enough

For lowbar squatting, matter of preference.
For highbar squatting, not as necessary if you have good ankle mobility. But it helps with staying more upright regardless.
Same for front squats, but helps to a larger extent as it requires even more ankle mobility.

For cleans and snatches, they allow you to catch the bar deeper and stay more upright.

If you're just doing strength training, and your mobility is good enough, they are not a necessity.
If you're doing actual weightlifting, not wearing them is literally handicapping yourself.
There's a reason even the most elite weightlifters with the most amazing ankle flexibility still wear weightlifting shoes.

Besides that, there's also the benefit of the sole being non-compressible and giving you very good stability, and the straps help preventing your feet from rocking around inside the shoes too much. But these features can also be found in flat shoes, as in some wrestling shoes.

I do low bar squats. Main reason I wear lifting shoes for them is because they are shoes that are made for lifting. They provide support around the entire foot yet have no cushion. It's very hard to find hard soled shoes that also have good arch support as well as a strap

From what I've heard they are mainly for flexibility reasons. Unless you are moving large weights you will look like a tool in them.

They help me keep my torso a little more upright in the hole

I own these exact shoes. They are the difference between being able to squat to depth or not for me. Do recommend. Fuck mobility work.

There are people who are extremely flexible and have no problem getting their knee over their toes in the bottom of the squat. For those people, it makes no difference.

I've had issues with leaning forward while trying to rise out of my bottomed out position when I'm doing ATG squats

Will these help with that issue?

Yes, that's the point.

they're for weaklings

Would it be weird to wear oly shoes outside of the gym

>Yes it makes a difference but only if you lift big
How new are you to lifting? It has nothing to do with how much weight you can lift. They just make hitting the correct positions a bit easier.

Yes, I just bought Romaleos and had them for 3 weeks until my car got broken into and they stole my gym bag with them in it. Squats just aren't the same without them

maybe he'd have hit depth if he wore lifting shoes

of course it does. its autistic to imply that you would NEED special shoes to squat right. You can squat perfectly without.
imo the ONLY reason you need oly shoes is if you're planning to compete.
If you're lifting for gains, strength, and health, shoes wont do anything

I guess so but there's also no reason NOT to wear them just lifting recreationally, kinda seems like there's just benefits upon benefits of wearing them to lift and not really any negatives

>telling arnold how to squat
lmao

a bodybuilder can squat however he wants; I was merely pointing out that you made a mistake in using Arnold as an example of a proper squat.

it helps my barpath a bit.

They significantly increase knee stress in the squat. Lotta times that won't matter, but it is a reason for some people to not use them.

For me the biggest difference was the stability that my adipowers bring to table. It really gives you a secure feeling while having squatting, so you can focus on the squat itself, not your foot position or ancle movement during the squat

>that back angle with that bar position
>those inward knees
my goodness, it's surreal what a stark contrast there is between us and our forefathers.

I have those in OPs picture.

It helped me alot, It's like you melted with the ground.

Most people over 180cm need those to squat deep without buttwink/form breakdown
If you are very flexible/a manlet, no, tgey are not needed

>that guy that uses oly shoes exclusively for squatting

If you don't do clean & snatch you don't need them. Actually you look like an idiot if you still take them.

t. 5'7 manlet

Do you even lift?

You sound like one of those guys curling in the squat rack with a baseball cap

Ffs people on this board. Probably hardly hit 2 pl8 but bitch about Arnold's form.
Just do pic related op

I squat and DL in socks fa m

6'3'' here and no I squat 4 pl8 after lifting for about 3 years.

People rather buy oly shoes instead of fixing their mobility

There is still a big difference fella

Yes, OP they definitely help. I finally got as pair last year and I can notice a big difference in my squat depth and the depth at which I start my DL, which lets me use more hammy.

I clean about the same, but again I can sit deeper in the hole.

They aren't some miracle which will double your lifts, but they help with mobility and less stress on your lower back, which is immediately noticeable.

Have pretty bad numbers here desu. However I got a good deal on OP's pic... I feel much more stable doing squats and OHP in them. I figure If I'm going to lift heavy things by putting them over my head and putting them on my back I might as well use every advantage I can do get the movement right.

So you can make fun of me for being dyel and using them, but I am improving so there you go.

It's so he can hit his quads harder. His position puts max tension on them.

kek I do lmao4pl8 deep without oly shoes. that being said. should have used this pic as an example and not the first one