Lifting at home vs Gym

Do i save up for a gym membership or do i save up for some dumbells / weights? If so, how many / which ones?

I'm the type of person that doesn't like crowded places & lifted for many years at home. Now I go to the gym & I find all the hot broads in tight clothing make for great scenery & motivation.

Well, i dont mind crowded places or anything. It's more about time. They're doing construction on the roads leading to the nearest gym, so it's hard to reach, even by bike. I wouldn't have to do any of that if i lift at home. But lifting at home would mean i dont have all the equipment of a regular gym.

I used to work out at home because I could work out """whenever""" and without social stress. Eventually I didn't work out any more and my intensity & concentration suffered a lot. So now it's gym again.

I work out at home and it rules. I have a very cheap rack, bench, barbell, dumbells, stretchy band things, and a tower for dips and chin ups. Probably spent like $600 total.

home gym masterrace

Gym is miles better. Less anti social and the equipment is likely to be much better. Most of the home gyms posted on Veeky Forums are beyond poverty setups.

homegym is miles better. less people and personal equipment of your own choice. most gyms are beyond many cons

if you are a beginner, you better go to the gym for a while.
if you're intermediate but have no money for a rack, it's a hard question
if you can buy a rack then go full power homegym master race

I'm a poor fag with weights but no rack and even though i can only squat as much as I snatch (which is awful) it's still pretty sweet compared to my local gym.

I got the 200$ oly weight set from Dick's sporting goods. It's a cheap bar and the 45's aren't oly diameter but it's still a killer deal.
I built my own squat rack, but got a bench free.

I lifted for 6 years in total, 3 at local gym, 3 in my own home gym.

>Home gym

Pros

-Save time on traveling back/forth to the gym (this alone saves me bout 2 hours of travel time every week, it adds up)
-Save money on gas
-Save money on needing to wash gym clothing (i never went to the gym with dirty clothes, but i lift at home in stinky ass nasty rags)
-Don't need to worry about catching an STD using equipment dozens/hundreds of other people have sweated on
-Don't need to worry about shit you want to use being in use
-No fee's
-Play your own music or no music at all or even watch chinese cartoons in between sets (i dont watch anime)
-much cheaper in the long-run, equipment will last a lifetime since you're the only person using it

Con's

-You need space
-You need solid/lat ground
-You need a few thousand dollars to get EVERYTHING you need including accessory equipment (Ive spend about $3000 in total)
-If you're a normie, you'll probably lose motivation and stop, since you don't have to go out to lift.

>Local gym

Pros

-fun atmosphere
-can be more motivating for some people
-social gains for autists

Con's

-expensive over the long run
-travel time
-might have to wait for equipment in use if at peak times
Overall, the home gym has so much more benefits, but I would still recommend you lift at a local gym at first, to see if you'll stick with it. Then if you fall in love with lifting, then you should start purchasing equipment for home, slowly over time.......eventually build up a fully decked out gym at home and then let your membership at your local gym end, then just lift at home full-time. That's what i did.

Sounds like you're locked & loaded with excuses right off the bat. Don't bother. Suicide will suffice.

I dont fucking want to drive to the nearest gym whenever I have to train. Also I dont want to wait to use certain shit like squat racks.
I like to squat barefoot, most gyms dont allow that.

My squat rack with bench + bar and weights was like 600€. The nearest gym here is 30€ per month. I want to do this for a while so I decided to get a home gym to save money and most importantly time.

Home gym. I have a bench and a squat rack and an elliptical. Never have to share.

I built a work shop years a go in my back yard which I've converted half into a home gym now days. Got some plates and two bars from a gym that was upgrading equipment and brought a decent power rack. Dont need much else to stay big and strong.
The gyms where I live were either no proper free weights, or too crowded and people constantly working in

Sorry as to answer OP's question get a power rack with an Olympic bar and weights, the weights don't need to be expensive just make sure they are close in weight to what they should be but a decent power rack is a must have read gym forums for what people reccomend I have a bodymax cf475 and its very well built and strong.
As for weights speccifically

x2 20kg
X2 15kg
X2 10kg
X4 5kg
X4 2.5kg
X2 1.25kg

Something like that

switch to zurcher/jefferson squats if you don't have a rack my friend

Yeah because having to spend an extra hour travelling back and forth to the gym is a bad excuse. Kill yourself.

user is right OP, you are full of excuses. If you are so damn sure you are not going to spend an extra hour going to the gym then go and buy your dumbells already and lift home.

If you have your own basement/garage and a lot of money home gym is great, just don't ram the squat rack though your ceiling. If you just buy dumbbells you won't be able to progress very well and won't be able to do several important exercises, so you better go to a gym.

A home gym absolutely shits on a normal gym. You play your own music, have unlimited usage of the weights and machines, get to take as much time as you want doing everything, etc.
A home gym is a must for anyone who has the space for it in their house. You can get yourself a godly set up for under $1000 and it's a much better long term investment than paying to go to a gym.

Craigslist is your friend.
I got an Olympic weight set and squat rack for $300.
Picked up a cheap bench for $30.
I'm a big guy for you, so I don't worry too much about getting murdered by craigslist randos. I always tell someone exactly where I'm going.
I just picked up an ez-curl bar and dumbbell handle from sports authority going-outta-business for $40.
I do pullups and curls on the squat rack. I play autistic Veeky Forums parody songs as loud as I want, senpai.
Total $370. Would have gotten me 6 months, probably less at the nearest gym. (Local rec center)
Bonus: my high test wife lifts too.
Double bonus: We fuck hard on the incline bench and do nifty upside-down maneuvers on the rack.
Home gym WINS.
Pic related.

Lifting at home = naked deadlift.
Fuck yeah, breathe in your sweaty man-stink.
Touch your hangy sack on the floor.

>"I'm a big guy for you"
>~200lbs in the entire room