Pain below knee/above shins from squats

Anyone get pain here doing squats? I noticed it after trying to backsquat 315# a few days ago, much more than what I usually lift, and I'm hoping nothing is torn. The paints only noticeable if I squat/bend my knee below parallel or if I'm not warmed up, seems to hurt less if I have a wider stance with my knees pointed outwards versus straight ahead. Anybody have this before, and what was it? I work tomorrow, so can't see a doc just yet. Currently rehabbing it by warming up more and lifting lighter.

Bumping.

im getting pain right in the middle of my knee when i put pressure on my foot. or just from existing. just a general stinging pain. i think it was from doing 300lbs farmers walks for 20 mins

Bruh you may have to lay off the squats for a while, sounds like you have patella tendonitis or "jumpers knee". Would suggest you see a doc or hit up the Physio for a sesson on how to recover from it. Ive been recovering from a knee injury since last year and it developed due to an imbalance in the muscles. Too much stress is being placed in that particular area. I'd suggest that you lay off anything that triggers the pain and REST. I had to do water running for a while to get back to a decent state as walking up and down stairs was triggering it.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look that up, I appreciate having someplace to start.

from squats?

>Pain in knee from squats
Dude that's like, squat expecations 101, lay off any movements that puts weight on the knee and go see a doc

Also I mean specifically a traumatologist, don't waste time passing by others

Squats and running. I'm a firefighter, so there's no way to avoid physical work-- hell, we were just running hoselines and bundles last night at a wildfire, and I could feel it in my knee and ankle (one side is worse than the other, I think from an old soccer injury). The best I can do is tone down the workout and eat less to make up for not hitting the treadmill.

Perhaps osgood schlatters? If there's a lump there you should get it checked out. Idk, that's what I've got so google that shit

running causes shin, foot injuries mostly rather than squats though, unless you were carrying heavy ass shit

your mobility sucks

your squatting way too much weight with scrub rom while panic breaking for the entire descent and stopping above parallel due to shit mobility

less weight, more reps, get comfortably going deeper

When i had pain in that area i grew half an inch When it went away.

>When i had pain in that area i grew half an inch When it went away.
how did you gt that pain, how old were you?

No kidding. We were all doing this one rep max thing, and I bit off more than I could chew.

>From squats

Nah football/soccer injury. But the principe is the same as my vmo was not doing its job due to being dormant for months, which was leading the pressure to be directed to the place of pain. Imbalances are the cause of most training pain.

anyone ever had a torn meniscus? if so how did you treat it? were you still squatting?

you could need surgery next time. stay on top of your ego

Post your form. It may be nothing, people here are paranoid af. Just focus on doing the lift correctly.

Bang on. I have the exact same thing as OP (had it in both knees). It is caused by muscle tightness which forces you to but a sheer strain through thr front of the knee rather than having the weight resting purely on your muscles. Best thing to do is start a flexibility routine to loosen up primarily the hamstrings quads and hip flexors. Think 3rd world squat with ease and being able to passively touch your toes with straight legs kind of flexibility. Thats the ballpark I'm at now and no problems since. Recommend r/flexibility hip flexor month/routine/shit.

had the same issue for a week because i was trying out different stances for squats. luckliy the pain is gone since i went back to my old squatting stance

About to hit the sack, so no can do, but I know the weight was the issue. We were being stupid in the weight room, pushing each other to go higher than what was safe. My form and ROM is good when I stay within a reasonable limit, just got caught up with the guys. Thank goodness they didn't decide to start comparing cocks or something, with all the peer pressure. No homo.

Yeah, I don't want to be one of those guys with both knees shot and not even 45 yet. I want to be able to play with my kids and stuff in the future when I do have them, so I gotta stay smart about things.

Thanks, gonna do that as well as incline body squats. Saw that online as physical rehab for the injury. How are your knees now?

Honestly, I don't think they will ever be the same. I have calcified build ups as a result of the tendonitis below both knee caps (feels like a hard bump) and when I don't stretch the old pain creeps back up. Running long distances is also probably off the cards. After about 30 mins on concrete they tend to get sore regardless of how stretched I am.

I'm 21 yo for reference. But after this regime I'm on now I'm back playing rugby for uni. Squatting 100kg+ again and deadlifting 150+again. (90kg BW so not impressive but nice to be able to do the movements without pain).

Man, that's rough. I hope you'll be feeling better soon. Hang in there.

I didn't mean to come across as all negative - I'm doing great and I wouldn't consider myself held back by my knees anymore. I just didn't want to sugar coat it for the OP in terms of recovery etc.

It's an extremely frustrating injury but its treatable and quickly fixable if caught early and responded to in the correct manner. I have mates who've fucked their ACL's from training sessions and it makes me look like a bitch with my knee conditions.

anyone know a solution to really bad cramps? i cant move at all because my muscle starts twitching and tightening when i do, also i did an intense leg day today.

that sounds an awful lot like osgood-schlatters disease

I get knee pain from squats too, forcing me to have a 2 month pause form them now.

I know that my hams and glutes are under developed and lacking behind.
My quads are tight and so are my hip flexors.
And my hamstrings are very short too (feat of weak muscles is often them being short).

I will work on all these coming weeks, but I don't get how the things I mentioned could possibly cause knee pain in the squat. (My form is on point, no knee caving, no excessive knee travel, weight might foot).

I also get that shit that when I sit with bent knees for an extended amount of time, my knees start cramping up and I needs to extend my legs to relieve that.
I have no idea what is going on. And I have no idea how tight and imbalanced muscle could cause this, but it's my last possible attempt at fixing it.

I get this all the time, foam roll/stretch works for me

I mean you're kind of right just because PT is basically OSD but for adults. I was 18 when I first started getting pain and afaik OSD is more of a developmental thing for growing kids age 14/15/16 something like that.

I've actually been to doctors/physios and they've diagnosed it as PT by the way so I'm not completely talking out my arse. The problem is not many of them see it as an actual issue. Doctors don't tend to be a fan of heavy weightlifting so the solution is often 'stop squatting' or take it light etc. They told me to stretch generically because it may help but I basically had to find a routine myself and see how my knee responded to stretching different muscles. There really isn't much useful info online so I suspect people who get it when squatting are a relative minority.

Still recovering from an ACL reconstruction, go see a doctor immediately. Didn't get this injury from weightlifting, but I dropped almost everything in squat and deadlift. Currently sitting at 135 squat and 135 dead 6 months out of surgery, my maxes were 450 and 475. I don't wish this on any one. Go see the doc user any injury that requires surgery is terrifying for gains. My knee is still a noodle, while my other is semi normal.

Wow the site is working again!

Bad form caused it. Right now you should RICE until it feels safe to lift on.

Alright OP in my experience this is bursitis. Excersise tightens your hams and pulls a tendon over the bursa in your knee causing it to become inflamed. Stretch the hams and foam roll the back of your knee on the inside to hit that tendon. I've found that relief comes with just a little stretching and rolling.

after you take a break and RICE it make sure you
Keep your knees inline with your shins

it works. puts more of the squat on the legs/ass and less stress on your knees

Did this and my knees ache anyways.

It just means you did too much, also that's what you get for doing maxes. It's tendonitis for overworking, the fact that you're a firefighter probably won't help, but as long as you don't squat it should be fine because squating 300lbs means you already have tons of muscle. I would just work on flexibility.

Do you feel any lumps there just below your kneecaps, at the top of our shins? If so, you may have Osgood-Schlatter disease (like I do, which is in its ossified, or "transformed into permanent bone" state).

OP here, nope, no lumps. That was one of the first things I checked for. Welp, time to head to work, thanks for the replies everyone. Here, have another lizard...