Metabolic damage?

'sup fit

I am a recovering fatso and I'm like 2 months into changing my diet (Not really calling it a diet though, as I want to keep eating healthy after losing weight)

So I started with 264 to 275 pounds (or 120-125 kilos). I am about 6ft (185cm) tall.
I am now down to 240 pounds (109 kilo) after two months.
I know that it's bad if you eat much too less and your body will stop using it's reserves and what not. So I still eat 3 meals per day (except for the weekends when I sleep till noon, but I'll eat more lunch then so yeah), but when I checked my caloric intake for the past few weeks I realized that I have about two days each week where I'll only eat 1000 calories or less.

However we'll also have some sort of family lunch once a week, ond these days I usually eat over 2000 calories. I'd say on a regular day I eat about 1500 calories.

I also do cardio for one hour 3 times a week (about 1 hour cycling/500 calories).

My main issue is that I've read some shit about metabolic disorder and how it can seriously fuck you up in the long run. Do you think I am in danger for that? I've done some research and also looked at the stickies but I'm still kinda unsure. Also sorry if I used the wrong terminology and what not, I'm a complete newfag to Veeky Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

if you are worried about your metabolism slowing down just eat a hot pepper, metabolic damage is a meme just eat less calories than your BMR(calculate again every time you lose a kilogram) and you should be good

What do you mean metabolic damage is a meme? I've read about people saying it's a myth but because there are people who say it's real, and people who say it's not real, I'll just assume it's real so I can deal with it in case I really do "get" it.

Also my metabolism seems to be doing weird things, for example the last 2 weeks I lost one kilo more than the 2 weeks before, even though I ate more...

How does a hot pepper help? Is this also a meme?

Again, I am a complete newfag (that's why I'm fat I guess)

bump

Yeah I guess I'll just post again in a few hours

Metabolic damage doesn't really happen until you hit dangerously low levels of body-fat. If you have some sort of genetic condition staying on a very low calorie diet (sub 800 calories daily) can trigger it.

Otherwise, the process doesn't start until you dip below 4% body-fat. It really is only triggered by hanging around 2-3% for an extended period of time - your energy stores are stretched so thin at that point that your body will start to shut down hormonal processes to keep you alive that much longer.

Keep it up, 30 pounds in 2 months is great progress - you'll be out of the woods in no time.

There's no particularly good evidence for metabolic damage. The best I've seen is the recent paper on "Biggest Loser" contestants that undertook a brutal crash diets. The sample size is tiny and it's not at all clear that any effect would also be present given a more sensible fat-loss regime. Or that it was a result of the crash diet rather than the years of being fat.

Don't worry about your exact numbers. Water can make a big difference. You want the trend to be downwards, and it is. Keep it up.

You sound kinda convincing, thanks for the input

Yes I also saw that one. But honestly it's pretty obviously that they are gonna get fat again when they're home again. If you need some tv show to lose weight in the first place, it's clear that things are gonna worsen once you go back to normal life..

So I guess I'll just keep going, eat what I want as long as it's not too much, and just keep doing cardio a few times a week.

youll be fine.
go get a RMR test if you actually care that much.
im down from 255-169 today. Im going to get a RMR test next week

>eat what I want as long as it's not too much
Pretty much. Bear in mind that as you get lighter you'll need less food, so "not too much" will also mean less.

And keep weighing yourself after you've reached a desirable weight to make sure you aren't putting it straight back on.

Keep it up and you can make it.

Yes I use an app called my fitness pal since about a month. Never slacked off in keeping track either. Also I weigh myself every 2 weeks, so I can see if the trend is positive. I'll weigh myself more often once I reach a lower weight I guess.

I'm also kinda shocked how positive this community is. You usually just hear that Veeky Forums is a bunch of virgin assholes and what not. Thanks guys.

I'm not really a full fatty, but the office job and the end of teenage hood hit me hard.
Now I have a undeniable gut.
I've done the basic things like cutting sweets, sugary drinks and eating less calorie dense foods.
But I'm not really keeping track of the things I eat.
What is a good source on that where I can look up the calorie count on things and figure out what is what.
I'd prefer a table rather than scoobses calculator because I like getting creative with cooking.

myfitnesspal

>I'm also kinda shocked how positive this community is.
Veeky Forums is pretty helpful when OP isn't a retard that hasn't read the sticky and clearly isn't willing to put in any work.

OP here.

Myfitnesspal is really great. Most of the foods you'll buy is registered there by the community, so you can just search for it and you'll find it. Also you can scan the BAR-Code (or however you americans call it, just the code with the lines of different width.) and it will show you how much calories it has.
The only "downside" is that you'll have to learn how much of whatever is in a portion of homecooked food. But that is kind of an useful skill anyway.

dont get any piercings or tattoos and fit will love you, especially if you arent fat anymore, or trying

>Most of the foods you'll buy
I'm eastern european so I doubt it, I'd still use it.
I need general measurements, trying to do it by feeling has had mixed results.
I've felt lightheaded after eating only vegetables and yoghurt for two days.
So I want to figure out a long term strategy.

Not gonna happen either way. Tattoos are for plebs and piercings are for women (call me a sexist all you want)

tfw i have both and am male and bitches love them both

It's still a great tool. I'm swiss and even though we're a pretty small country many of the food items are on there. You can also register stuff yourself if you want to.

Sometimes if something is not available I'll just take something that sounds very similar. I don't think that it matters if you're about 50 calories off sometimes. It's the trend that matters.

I wouldn't do that yoghurt shit. I drink beer and eat meat on a regular basis. Just do one big satisfying meal, and two smaller meals per day. I'd recommend having the big meal for lunch, then you have something to look forward to, and you're energized afterwards.

Yoghurt and vegetables are fine for dinner, because you won't need much energy at evening/night anyway. That strategy worked for me so far.

Well I personally don't mind if you have them. It's just not for me.
Bitches just love you for what you do. If I tell them that I don't have any because I want to keep my body clean and don't want any regrets later they're like "oh yeah I can so relate to that yadda yadda"

>metabolism slowing down just eat a hot pepper

False. Eating hot shit has nothing to do with it. There are no foods that will speed up metabolism. Some studies have shown that very spicy foods can increase metabolism, the boost won’t last and after about 30 minutes the rate of metabolism will be back where it started

i love you too user

So I'll just eat a very hot pepper every 30 minutes

metabolic disorders are either genetic or due to other complications e.g. in the womb or injuries.

just keep a steady TDEE*0.8 and recalculate every other week. Doing a crash site like PSMF is possible for sure, but it's a serious test of willpower because your hypothalamus will be ramping up cravings for everything and crashing metabolic functions to compensate for the ridiculous and rapid change in diet. That's why most people fail to lose weight and keep it off.

If you go over your goal for 1 day, take that out of the next (or split it up over 5 days or however you like). If your goal is 1600 cal a day but you know you'll eat 2200 one day, just take (2200-1600)/6=100 calories out of your normal daily goal. So set your goal for 1500 daily instead, and that lets you eat 2200 with your family once a week.

Google "Scooby calculator" to estimate your TDEE and goals

"Metabolic damage" is caused by cutting too harshly which causes a loss in muscle mass because they expend unnecessary energy and the body nukes them to try and survive through the starvation period.

You can avoid that by eating at no less than a 20-25% deficit of your tdee (brm + how many calories extra you burn daily) consistently.

I've been using Scooby's site to track my calorie needs for awhile, so I'd recommend using it to figure out your tdee and how much you should eat daily.

scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/