Health and Nutrition thread

Hi Veeky Forums

My father's dying of high blood pressure / cholesterol at 58 years old. His doctor told him nine years ago he statistically had ten years to live after which he cut all fats out of his diet and went on a 1000+ cal deficit diet he thought up himself. He abandoned the diet after losing 40 pounds and got it all back, and never tried since because it was too miserable and energy consuming.

He's recently been complaining about chest pains and saw a doctor who told him he should be mindful of his blood pressure.

Do you know of any good literature I could read to understand the relation between cholesterol / dietary fat / body fat / heart disease / general nutrition so I can send him in the right direction ?

Thank you for your help

Other urls found in this thread:

nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-treat-high-blood-pressure-with-diet/
sciencebasedmedicine.org/death-as-a-foodborne-illness-curable-by-veganism/
donmatesz.
acc.org/guidelines#sort=@foriginalz32xpostedz32xdate86069 descending&f:TopicSearchFacet=[epicholesterol,cholesterol]&f:@fdocumentz32xtype86069=[guidelines]
annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638
sciencemag.org/news/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/mar/chowdhuryp1.pdf
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/apr/chowdhurypart2.pdf
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/may/chowdhuryp3.pdf
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/may/chowdhurysupp.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

All the info in the world won't help him if he can't stick to a healthy diet

The guy's stubborn as hell, but If i put the right info in his hands which will more liveable than 0 dietary fat and a 1500 kcal deficit he might give it a try.

stop feeding him bacon and eggs
make him work out
feed him high doses of fish oil (high EPA)

nutritionfacts.org/video/how-to-treat-high-blood-pressure-with-diet/

This website has easy to understand advice for treating health problems mainly through food

>stop feeding him bacon and eggs

He'll get countless stints put in, he'll be gucci

yeah brah keep eating that bacon, i'm sure you'll be fine
he's at the risk of fucking dieing, would you be stubborn and keep eating 6 eggs a day?

flax-seed oil, eggs, beans, lentils, fatty fish.

go.

>He abandoned the diet after losing 40 pounds and got it all back

rekt

>good literature

Yeah, read the fucking sticky, both of you.

When you're done, read the fucking sticky one more time.

>Do you know of any good literature I could read to understand the relation between cholesterol / dietary fat / body fat / heart disease / general nutrition so I can send him in the right direction ?

How Not To Die by Michael Greger

NutritionFacts.org has a wealth of information on eating a healthy diet.

Does anyone have a PDF for this ? TPB gives nothing

magnesium 400-1000 mg / d (if no cancer is diagnosed) + mega dosing vitamin E +

You can always buy the real book. 11 dollars is a very low capital investment if it saves your father's life.

He should eat beans everyday, and a minimum of 500g of fruits and veggies each day. That will help.
Truth^

This, not sure about the VitE though

Also, cutting out fats is not the way to go. I would reduce dietary cholesterol though. Just eat lots of fiber and not too much salt

sciencebasedmedicine.org/death-as-a-foodborne-illness-curable-by-veganism/

These are the only foods you should eat for overall healthiness. They are great sources of nutrients with no anti nutrients or pesticides and promote good vascular health

White rice
Pea protein
Avocado
Pasture raised eggs
Purple sweet potatoes
Unpasteurized sauerkraut (for probiotics)

Pretty sure this will cover all your vitamin and mineral needs. Other than vitamin A and omega 3-6, you should still supplement since it is common to be deficient no matter which diet you are on

I dont expect you to only eat this for the rest of your life but try to make an effort to make it 90% of what you eat.

Obviously dont go crazy with the avocado and eggs those are only to meet your daily fat requirements. Best sources of omega 3 and 6 fats

The author of the article calls herself a skeptic but she intentionally misrepresents Greger, cherry-picks sources and uses strawman arguments.

She hates plant-based diets. She's a grumpy old lady.

donmatesz.
blogspot.com/2013/02/harriet-halls-critique-of-gregers.html

Harriet Hall brings her own biases to the table

This, but without the eggs, make the rice brown and eat it with other whole grains like oats, rye, and barley, and eat actual peas instead of pea protein. Also lots of green vegetables.

>without eggs
No eggs are the best source of DHA

>brown rice and grains
No. Mold contamination.

>eat actual peas
No reason to it's easier just to mix the protein powder with water

>green vegetables
No. Purple sweet potatoes are a better source of vitamins and usually have way less pesticides

Alright, can you provide some sources for your claims. Otherwise it's just broscience.

Algae-based supplements is convenient for Omega-3 EPA DHA. Contains no mercury or dioxins.

>No eggs are the best source of DHA

Where did you hear that? Even if eggs were a decent source of DHA (they aren't), they aren't worth it overall

>No. Mold contamination.

Any evidence that this is something with a significant effect on cardiovascular health, to the point where it would neutralize the well established benefits of whole grain foods?

>No reason to it's easier just to mix the protein powder with water

More fiber, phytosterols, and micronutrients.

>No. Purple sweet potatoes are a better source of vitamins and usually have way less pesticides

Even better would be both, and organic if you think pesticides are that big a deal. Greens increase nitric oxide production and are a good source of vitamin K, which is involved in clotting.

You've got some weird Ray Peat tier nutrition beliefs

> organic if you think pesticides are that big a deal

organic doesn't mean your fruit and veggies are pesticide-free.

I'm throwing you a bone by even acknowledging "don't eat vegetables because pesticides" as a serious point of discussion

im not the guy who you're in an argument with.

Ask an RD, not Veeky Forums.

It really makes no difference to me what you eat
Im just posting what I found and you can go with it or not it's not gonna matter to me at the end of the day

stubborn old guy who doesn't want to do internet searches to help him.

>stubborn as hell, but If i put the right info in his hands

if you've everbeen to an AA/NA meeting, or hell even an OA meeting, you'd know this is bullshit.

Underrated

7day water fasts. ketosis after 3 days, starts burning fat from blood vessels veins and around organ, burns the toxins for energy.

look it up if ur srs

also avoid all refined carbs alcohol satured fats etc

pomegranade juice fresh, every fucking day

is not the consumption of fats, but what kinds of fats the consumes , should consume monounsaturated fats (such as olive oil or peanut ) and saturated oil ( such as butter ) , you have to restrict the consumption of polyunsaturated fats like sunflower oils since sold many chemical processes that degrade nutrients.
In short you should start eating more fat foods like olive oil, coconut oil , peanuts , nuts, and an important tip , for frying food only have to do with lard , because saturated fat is more resistant to heat and retains nutrients

restrict sodium intake. sodium causes blood volume to increase which leads to increased blood pressure.

the problem with high blood pressure is that it puts strain on arterial walls. the strain can lead to ruptures which heighten the likelihood of fatty deposits forming in the wound and lowering the inner diameter of the vessel.

try starting with literally any

biochemistry 101 textbook
human physiology 101 textbook
human pathology 101 textbook
cardiology 101 textbook
nutrition 101 textbook

you would know this template if you formally studied anything remotely related to biomed or even science in general though. instead you're just some edgy underaged pop sci cretin who wants to feel pseudo-intellectual by fraudulently impressing his parents with his fog of ignorance. that's why you ask this on Veeky Forums out of all places. retardation is often genetic after all.

so instead please direct him to some empty fad diet drivel to build up the delusion of being educated despite not having any actual knowledge / understanding. dumbed down misinterpretation and conspiratorial shoehorning are the best approaches to these extremely nuanced topics for someone on your intellectual level.

I don't know of any books besides general medical book but I can give you some advice from the little medical training I've had so far.

Part 1

Cholesterol comes in two forms, HDL and LDL. Both are lipoproteins that surround fat for transport. Fat itself is non polar meaning it cannot move easily throughout the aqueous body (think of oil in water) without these lipoproteins whose have one nonpolar side to face the fats while the polar side protrudes outward and allows for movement in the aqueous environment.

Both levels will rise from increased fat consumption but as google will show, there's a whole list of things that can effect the ratio of the two. LDL is considered the bad cholesterol since clumps of LDL can form block blood flow in the cardiovascular system. HDL is considered the good cholesterol because it can also carry LDL into the liver for decomposition reducing the risk and severity of these clumps of LDL. Generally people will not need to be concerned with LDL unless they are sedentary, obese or have cardiovascular problems or a combination of all three.

Your dietary fats come in two flavors, saturated, and unsaturated and trans fats are unsaturated fats. Saturated fast mean that the entire chemical structure of the fat is compossed of CH2 and CH3 with no double bond or other functional groups in the main chain besides the carboxylic acid at the end. This means they are more stable than unsaturated fats and are generally harder to break down. However, it generally is fine to have tons of saturated fats as long as you are not sedentary, obese or have cardiovascular problems. Even people with these issues can have the fats they just need to reduce the intake. Unsaturated fats have a double bond in the structure which is where a lot of chemical reactions can happen making the fat easy to break down. This is why unsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature. These fats due to being so easy to break down rarely create problems in the system.

Part 2

However one type of unsaturated fats are the worst fats you can eat which are trans fat. Going back to the double bond, there are two types of structures created with carbon double bonds. One is a cis double bond where the two groups stick out the same side and one which is called trans where the two group stick out on opposite sides. Unsaturted fats are naturally cis but due to new methods design to make the unsaturated fats be solid at room temperature, trans fats were created. The trans formation is again extremely stable and the body has an extremely hard time breaking down this unfamiliar chemical composition meaning it stays and clots your system for an extremely long time. Everyone should avoid trans fats.

Heart disease is a broad term and one I can't really go into without spamming the thread. Just realize the heart works via systems of high pressure ventricles pumping blood to low pressure atriums and to other parts of the body via high pressure to low pressure. Since the ventricles have to constantly be in high pressure in order for the body to work, putting extra strain on the heart constantly can force the heart to create even thicker ventricle walls making the heart heavier and increasing the strain on the heart further. Obviously, blockages in the cardiovascular system will increase the strain on the heart and cause this effect. The reason exercise does not produce this effect and benefictially helps the heart is because the stress of exercise is short term and while both increase the size of the ventricles, the person who is exercising will also have a lower heart rate overall due to larger blood being pumped into the body while the other person is simply trying to maintain the status quo heart rate and also has the extra strain of a heavier and thicker heart.

Excessive bodyfat can hurt you in many different ways from excessive fats in the system to causing, again, constant excessive strain on the system.

Dese vegans and their anger issues due to Vit B deficiency.

Thanks!

>should consume... saturated oil (such as butter)

This kills OP's father

> it generally is fine to have tons of saturated fats as long as you are not sedentary, obese or have cardiovascular problems. Even people with these issues can have the fats they just need to reduce the intake.

For virtually everyone, as little as possible is the preferred intake. No more than 5-6 percent of calories, even less if you're in a position like OP's father.

Just give him cardiology guidelines on the subject
acc.org/guidelines#sort=@foriginalz32xpostedz32xdate86069 descending&f:TopicSearchFacet=[epicholesterol,cholesterol]&f:@fdocumentz32xtype86069=[guidelines]

>For virtually everyone, as little as possible is the preferred intake. No more than 5-6 percent of calories, even less if you're in a position like OP's father.

Why is that? As far as I've learned saturated fats will generally not cause any permanent damage and only temporarily increases the risk of heart attacks, failures and such but this does not matter in healthy individuals whose risk is practically zero ie most people without those issues.

Mfw reading about trans fats and heart hypertrophy

Fuck!!!! Readimg about thr heart in general gives me the chills, years of being a fatty definitely have not treated my heart well (physically and emotionally) and I seriously am afraid of some big dmg

They increase the amount of LDL in circulation, which over time can lead to atherosclerosis. This is a chronic disease of course, so it's not like one fatty meal will kill you, but a healthy man free of disease who doesn't take preventative measures like maintaining low LDL levels will likely turn into an unhealthy older man with hardened arteries.

Any type of fat has to be carried in the bloodstream mate

I'm glad almost all keto subscribers will be dead within 15 years

CUTTING FAT IS THE WORST THING TO DO

CUT CARBS, LOWER INSULIN, INCREASE SATURATED FAT INTAKE

SERIOUSLY OP NOT TROLLING

Stop trying to kill OP's dad with your diet fads

Do you know if the build up of plaque from consumption of saturated fats still proceeds in relatively healthy individuals?

I could be wrong about this no doubt but I remember learning that the increase in LDL in healthy individuals, especially those that exercise, is not significant enough to do any real damage. The argument is that LDL build up and plaque will be removed by HDL far before they can build up enough to do any damage unless the patient has other risk factors that effect the system.

I also say this due to me seeing a meta data analysis that showed no significant effect between excessive consumption of saturated fats and heart disease. I don't believe that saturated fats are completely good for you but I also don't believe they are completely bad. Honestly it's a complex topic though when you get into the specifics like this but perhaps if they had further divided the participants by risk factors such as age and activity an interaction would be observed.

Here's the meta analysis in question. Perhaps I missed something about it. annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638

Anyone can develop heart disease, including physically active people. Saying high LDL in healthy individuals isn't a problem is like saying high blood pressure in healthy individuals isn't a problem. It may not be something that you get diagnosed with and then instantly you're sent to the emergency room and put on life support, but over time it turns a seemingly healthy person into a heart disease patient.

>I also say this due to me seeing a meta data analysis that showed no significant effect between excessive consumption of saturated fats and heart disease.
>Here's the meta analysis in question. Perhaps I missed something about it. annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1846638

You can't take a meta-analysis like this at face value. This one in particular was very controversial when it released and was almost retracted after it was found to have dozens of errors.

sciencemag.org/news/2014/03/scientists-fix-errors-controversial-paper-about-saturated-fats

I'm not even on keto, just not stuck in the 90s

Listen to me OP, get him to the doctor to receive medication. Then, highly processed food, fast food, very salty food, fried foods, trans fat (not even a gram of this one, literal poison), sugar, syrup, corn, bread, omega 6 rich oils (cotton seed and sunflower for example)gone from his diet. His carbohydrate sources should be veggies (lots of them), fruits, legumes mainly and occasionally rice, potatoes or sweet potatoes. And his fat sources should be the meat he eats (leaner is better), extra virgin olive oil, some nuts and a lot of rich in omega 3 fishes, no tilapia shit, I speak salmon, tuna, sardines, etc.

I'll be damned if it isn't flawed. Ok I will look more into this especially before I post advice like this again. Thank you user!

NP. If you want to see a detailed critcism of the paper, this is pretty good

drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/mar/chowdhuryp1.pdf
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/apr/chowdhurypart2.pdf
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/may/chowdhuryp3.pdf
drmcdougall.com/misc/2014nl/may/chowdhurysupp.pdf

>this whole thread

In my experience the people most vocal and convincing about something are usually the people who are wrong. Its like they need you to believe them.

For those taking this thread seriously, its probably best to do your own research, rather than asking strangers on a Japanese image board

his arteries are already clogged. Losing weight =/= cleaning up your arteries.

Don't worry OP he might be ok, I'll give you some advice.

Make him do LIGHT exercise, like walking or bike, he needs this in order to make the organism work better. Add some LIGHT weights and you're ok.

As for diet, check the DASH diet. He needs vegetables, fruits, chicken, fish, tons of water and other healthy stuff. Stay away from anything processed. Say good bye to salt and animal fats. Keep him in the 1500-2000 range, or less if he's obese.

As for meds, I wouldn't advice meds to low cholesterol, as they might give him secondary effects like muscle pain, that can easily keep him away from working out which is bad. He needs meds for his BP though. Aspirin is also a good friend as it will keep him away from a heart attack. Get him to a cardiologist so he can check him properly.

He won't be a teenager again but doint it right he can live 20 more years.

McDougall diet as base, add fat free animal products (tuna, 0% milk, cottage cheese, low fat cheeses, gelatin(mix gelatin with cold water, let it swell and mix that to sauces and hot drinks)) for protein.

Eat as much as you want (its easy to undereat when doing this.)

Cheat once every ~2 weeks with one meal - steak or something.