/cycling/

Who here /cycling/?

I'm thinking of building a fixed gear for commuting. Or should I just build a singlespeed? I don't know that much about bicycles desu.

Other urls found in this thread:

bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_latte_x.htm
active.com/cycling/articles/cycling-cadence-in-training-and-racing
patrickseabase.com/
konaworld.com/paddy_wagon.cfm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

today I was gonna inflate the tires of my car and I had to wait for this skeleton dressed like a fucking cycling banner to inflate the tires of his 2000€ bicycle, literally had to wait 30 minutes for the fucker to get it right

you deserve to die tbhwy pham, you're so obnoxiously annoying that the only thing I can think off every time I overtake one of you is hit and run

>fixed gear
Don't fall for this meme. Also, be sure to carry a gun in case you run into muslim extremists like this guy who hates freedom.

No I'm natty

>Fixie
>mfw

do you live in a flat place?

Gearing is extremely light for the benefit it provides.

For commuting I would either search craigslist for a 90's hard tail mountain bike (like a trek 800) or get something off bikesdirect

if you have a lot of money then a trek fx 7.2 is pretty popular but I don't like riding really nice bikes for commuting

lol, pussy

I'd whip you silly and fuck you stupid if you tried getting salty with me

That's a solid bike recommendation, heavy though.

Depending on how much gear they are hauling I'd go with a lighter road bike or a touring bike for hauling.

>cycling
>gear
PHRASING

nigga fixed gears are memes
I got 3 gears in front and 8 in back
it is really useful

>More than 2 gears on the front
Never
gonna
make
it

bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/cafe_latte_x.htm

I ride this sucker. Can't beat it for the money (unless you get really lucky on craigslist)

lmao you wouldn't do shit you fucking retarded autist, you would dwarf in embarrassment and self-consciousness as soon as I got out of the car for you to contemplate the 230lb at 6'7" of a beast that would rape you with your fucking stupid bike

>Pumping bike tyres with the garage machine instead of with a regular track pump
Jesus fuck burgerstanis, a new low.

Don't listen to freds. Fixed gear improves your cadence and trains your legs like no other. Just make sure to get a front brake and you will be alright m8.

>Fixed gear improves your cadence

gears are actually a great thing, i drive 2x10 gears, great stuff, better than 3x7, since changing gears on the back wheel takes less time.
Fixed gears are only good for one thing, spotting idiots.

>Fixed gear improves your cadence
It's the opposite stupid.

>implying

Are you baiting me retard? How is not being able to coast NOT going to involuntarily improve your cadence?

With fixed gear you either pedal or you don't fucking fred.

do you know what cadence means?

Velodrome cycling is actually pretty great, just inaccessible for most.

how does being forced to pedal imply that you are pedaling at the proper cadence?

>Typical_Cyclist_Body.jpg

jesus christ the delusion

>In cycling, cadence (or pedalling rate) is the number of revolutions of the crank per minute; roughly speaking, this is the rate at which a cyclist is pedalling/turning the pedals.

THIS

fixed gear gives you massive quads/calf gainz, especially if you lift

>implying I can't just pedal in an improperly high gear for the same effect

because you learn how to control your RPMs by either resisting or adapting to the fixed gear which as a bonus also gives you a nice workout.

OK, you got a point there.

You must be new to /n/ huh

I think that you are honestly mentally handicapped, which isn't surprising considering the typical fixie rider

A fixie is literally the antithesis to developing proper cadence. Nothing you say is going to change that.

and using a fixy, you'll have proper cadence at exactly one speed.
What do if
- you get stronger/are too weak
- wind turns
- uphill/downhill
- other vehicles/peoples in front of you
- you want to fast/slow?

>230
>6'7"
>beast

Pick one you lanklet mother fucker

Not him, but I once cycled on a really really steep hill, and I had to use the smallest front gear (though it's barely ever needed), the middle gear is good on moderate inclines and the big one is for speed, so fuck off with your two gears meme.

nice argument dumbshit anything to back it up? or are we going to continue with the smug weekend warrior attitude?

>using the cuck ring under any circumstances
top kek,

You adapt. This is exactly what gives you the workout after all.

>cuck ring
top kek

Don't go fixed gear. Only hipster faggots do that. It's literally a fashion thing, NOT something you do for function.

>You adapt. This is exactly what gives you the workout after all.
So if I'm too strong for that fixie I adapt to being weaker? Great.

fixies are for hipsters to coast to the bar and then take an uber back at night

Up the gear ratio and suffer again.

I guess you have proof of all the pro riders using this mind-blowing method.

You know how I know you're new

Post body and leg pics oh master fixie cyclist man

if you want the best of both worlds use a single-speed chainring up front and a 3 speed IGH in the back

that will give you a ton more flexibility than a fixie without sacrificing looks or simplicity

generally the second gear of an IGH is mechanically fixed so there are no frictional losses via planetary gears

Ask him

you mean like changing gears?

he does his sport in very controlled environment, has nothing to do with real life or the fun of riding in the nature.

What's the matter? nothing to back up your shitposting?

No, you're not allowed to use changing gears, you must only have 20 different fixy bikes with different gear ratios.

This

>he does his sport in very controlled environment

So? He does this on fixed gear because you need all that strength in that sport and for someone posting on fit how could you be against legs like those?

Why so dyel?

Just get a wheel that flips back and forth user

I usually ride single speed when riding to work or the store and fixed gear on trails. Just don't get gears or you're a pussy.

See Youre all the evidence I need boyo. Get to it

Trusts me if there were a safe way of shifting gears on a fixed gear a lot of track riders would use it as a tool. But there isn't so you either go fixed single speed and change ratios when needed or you coast like a dyel roadie.

I do road cycling too but for a decent leg workout fixed gear is the way to go.

Why changing topic like that? Prove that fixed gears don't improve cadence first smartass.

active.com/cycling/articles/cycling-cadence-in-training-and-racing
>In my experience, the only people who attach sexual competency issues to the gearing on their bike are folks who don't climb.

Proper cadence: 60-90 rpm
Terrain: variable
Gearing: x

x * v = 60-90rpm

If fixie, x = 1. If geared, x = [1...24] or more.

TRIFORCE, gearing allows you to maintain proper cadence over a much wider terrain

If you want to have legs like this guy, go to the gym and do squats/test. Much more efficient.

We seem to have different ideas of what riding a bike should be like, what it should achieve. I like climbing mountains, riding in the nature or a city. But if you want to do laps in a closed building or just train your legs with cardio, then go for the fixie and do your laps.

ITT:

>hey anons, I need a bike for commuting

>WHY AREN'T YOU TRAINING FOR THE VELODROME FAGGOT

>Trusts me if there were a safe way of shifting gears on a fixed gear a lot of track riders would use it as a tool.
you mean like a non-fixie?

>But if you want to do laps in a closed building or just train your legs with cardio, then go for the fixie and do your laps.

And why should I listen to you? If I want to ride my fixed gear on the street I will. Gives me a great leg workout which I enjoy. Have a problem with that? Is is it the fixter stigma that you can't get over? Would you consider Sheldon Brown an idiot fixter aswell?

I run a front brake and cause no trouble so fuck off and go be an elitist cunt somewhere else.

I don't think you can get a fixed gear (no coasting) bikes with gears don't you? or are you retarded and did not understand what I was telling you?

why don't you use gears and train even better? you know, like always using the cadence that's best for your insane leg-gains?
Who the fuck is Sheldon Brown?

>Sheldon Brown

it's babby's first bike mechanic for hipsters

a lot of his information is bad tbqh, but the meme lives because he died >too soon

>Who the fuck is Sheldon Brown

Oh boy I think we are done here.

>I live in an incredibly flat place and therefore OP (and everyone else) must also

not him but honestly knowing or not knowing who sheldon brown is makes no difference

sheldon brown is the richard stallman of bicycles

that doesn't mean that somebody that is proficient at computers needs to know who he is

I also don't get why anyone would like no coasting. I mean the best you can hope for is looking not even more retarted as this guy patrickseabase.com/ when you try to break.

Of course I'm retarded.

Is developing a steady low cadance at increased resistance a bad thing now?

Is developing a steady fast cadance at high speeds a bad thing now?

Also do you change Terrain much on track or flat streets?

It's like I'm not on Veeky Forums anymore since when being a fred holocaust survivor is encouraged here?

Second hand peace of shit for £90 but it saves me £14 a day 4 times a week too and from work

so he's exactly like this jizz guy for fixie-hipsters?

travel cost*(busses taxies you get the point

>steady fast
>steady low

what is this shit

>Also do you change Terrain much on track or flat streets?

Are you seriously >implying that everyone commutes on a track/flat streets?

>It's like I'm not on Veeky Forums anymore since when being a fred holocaust survivor is encouraged here?

Ah the insult of last resort. Don't be Veeky Forums to get good at your sport, be Veeky Forums to smash grylls...amirite?

yes

>I also don't get why anyone would like no coasting.

Because if you don't like it doesn't mean everybody else should share your opinion.

>I mean the best you can hope for is looking not even more retarted as this guy patrickseabase.com/ when you try to break.

There is a front brake for a reason there USE IT

>Is developing a steady low cadance at increased resistance a bad thing now?
>Is developing a steady fast cadance at high speeds a bad thing now?

>implying this isn't nonsense
>implying this can't be done more effectively with gearing

>Because if you don't like it doesn't mean everybody else should share your opinion.
true story and I said nothing like that. I said I do not understand it. So please enlighten me.

>There is a front brake for a reason there USE IT
So you use mainly your front break? or do you combine backpedaling/blocking your backwheel with the front break? sounds instable.

>It's like I'm not on Veeky Forums anymore since when being a fred holocaust survivor is encouraged here?
>>>/crybaby/

>what is this shit

It's the ability to not eat the pavement or die of a heart attack when the resistance of pedaling changes.

>Are you seriously >implying that everyone commutes on a track/flat streets?

Unless you live in some village with no pavement you can ride at pretty much any city. Your typical dyel fixters can even ride in SF.

>Ah the insult of last resort. Don't be Veeky Forums to get good at your sport, be Veeky Forums to smash grylls...amirite?

yeah, what is this shit

>So you use mainly your front break? or do you combine backpedaling/blocking your backwheel with the front break? sounds instable.

Instable how? Do you have chicken legs that will break if you apply mild resistance? or is slamming the rear brake and skidding considered "stable" now?

cool post dude well done

Also

>true story and I said nothing like that. I said I do not understand it. So please enlighten me.

Try it yourself dumbfuck

and

70% of braking comes from the front brake which I forgot to mention but then again I'm not surprised you are unfamiliar with such things.

when you (back-)pedale one side of the bike gets pressed down, the other side lifted. That's why seabase always slithers in one direct when he breaks.
When you then also have a strong force from the breaking on your wheels (front and rear), you don't have much friction left to balance out this uneven weight distribution between the two sides of your bike.
If you break just normally, you don't have more weight on one side, and the whole force from breaking only points into on direction: the only direction you have two wheel to cover that force.

>Try it yourself dumbfuck
You really know how to persuade people.

he probably threw this guy over the bridge because he's using a fixie.

Yes op.
Im planning to get a bike for commuting and trails.
Eventually downhill shit.
Im looking at a trek marlin 5

Plus saving money and cardio that isn't boring

>when you (back-)pedale one side of the bike gets pressed down, the other side lifted.

You don't "back pedale" you gradally slow down by applying resistance if you want to change the speed. Combine that with the front brake which as I said gives you 70 percent of braking power and you come to a complete stop. If you use the rear brake to stop you are doing it wrong and should learn how to stop properly. Rear brakes are mostly used on fast descents to control the speed because the front brake in that case is risky and could flip you over.

>You really know how to persuade people.

What else do you want me to say if the whole thread is against being labaled a "fixter" for trying one?

It seems like the general opinion of other freds will kill you while asleep if you tried things that are considered "uncool" by the roadies. Just try it, don't like it? Fine. It's the people who never tried it and talk shit that pisses me off.

>fixed gear on a steep hill

>fixies
>coast

Are you even trying?

Fixed gears blew up in 2008-9ish, but now they've settled down. They're great for noobies because they're simple as fuck. You just pedal. Single speeds are equally great.

Most people I see riding geared bicycles for transport are always horribly cross chained (usually smallest front ring, smallest rear cog). Most people don't know shit about derailleurs. Maintenance, how to shift, when to shift, etc. It's just easier to ride one gear. Use brakes though, remove for velodrome madness.

>how to shift, when to shift
nigga acting like he's driving a car, you're on a bicycle, shut the fuck up.

Why not get something like this:

konaworld.com/paddy_wagon.cfm

I have the 2015 model with drop bars. The wheel has both a fixed gear and a free gear so you can try both of em out.

You must be the brains in your social circle

For cycling the more you spend the less benefits you can get after a certain point. For instance, I ride a steel frame road bicycle with shimano claris (entry level) which I bought over a year ago, I own cheap wheels and cheap tires and barely have to invest any money in it. As long as you clean it and lube the chain, pump the tires etc you'll be good to go.

I ride my bicycle every day and I'm not super worried that it will get pinched because I have a nice strong D lock and a cable chain that goes around the wheels.

I've saved more than the cost of the bicycle in commuting and traveling, I also have burned many, many calories. One thing that people don't talk too much about cycling is that apart from the benefits it's really fun. I listen to music and podcasts when I ride my bicycle and it definitely improves me mood versus catching a train or a tram.

It's winter in Australia where I am right now and I find that cycling warms me up so I'm not cold. If I was walking around in cold weather I'd be really cold and uncomfortable but as long as you have gloves (hands get REALLY FUCKING cold if you go downhill in the morning) and a jacket you'll be completely fine.

You also get some decent thigh gainz from cycling.

Single speeds and fixies are a meme, you'll instantly regret your purchase as soon as you have to go up a hill.

>One thing that people don't talk too much about cycling is that apart from the benefits it's really fun
>Unless it's single speeds or fixies
>That's no fun oh no because if you have fun riding anything other than my choice of transportation you are a meme

>Single speeds and fixies are a meme, you'll instantly regret your purchase as soon as you have to go up a hill.

You'll get used to it eventually if you live in a relatively flat place. I did in Toronto.

Cycling is one of the best ways to lose weight. You should go buy a $50 Target brand bike and ride it for 2 months then upgrade to something like the guy is carrying in the pic.

The only good thing about Florida is the trails for cycling.

kek

>I listen to music and podcasts when I ride my bicycle

I've always wanted to do this but it seems p dangerous. Especially since pedestrians on trails are fucking retarded. Like the dog walkers who let their leashed dog go to the other side of the trail while they stand on the other side.

I dunno, I live in a place with hills. Regardless, it's better on your knees to switch gears from lower to higher resistance depending on your speed.

They're fun but like a BMX or a Mountain bike they're impractical for actual transportation and recreational fitness. You can do them and enjoy it but you should get a geared road bicycle for fast transportation and good fitness.

It depends where you live. I've noticed that I can still hear traffic and other stuff better than if I was inside a car with the windows up with headphones in. Also, on trails I find that I'm going fast enough to see things coming from ages away.