Be 29 yrs old

>be 29 yrs old
>be 5'9.5
>pic related
>was in Boy Scouts, got to rank of Life (the rank before Eagle)
>was in karate, never moved beyond white
>was in Tae Kwon Do - ATA, got to Orange (2nd belt)
>was in university, became a drop out with 3.0 GPA and two classes left to graduate
>work in private security for seven years
>work as an armed bicycle officer on the Las Vegas strip for $14/hr.
>married have three small boys
>rent do not own

I think that is enough about me... my problem is I have never really stuck with anything and actually finished it. I am somewhat active due to my work, however I drink like a water buffalo - beer more than liquor...(picture coming) and am essentially a functional alcoholic. I can't hold a diet for about 48hrs. and I can't hold an exercise regimen...

My question is essentially, how do you stick with an entirely new program? How do you - or CAN you be a functional alcoholic and still lose weight? I need my alcohol because it is my ultimate stress reliever; a respite to all my mistakes of the past and ultimately a period of time in my day where I can legitimately not give fuck; this is coming from someone who gives too much of a fuck (I sweat the little stuff, take what people say to heart and hold on to grudges from complete strangers).

How did* you guys stay focused when just starting out? I don't feel my problem is remotely laziness, it is something more of a depression nature. Either way I really have a problem finishing something I start, and alcohol is a nice respite where I can forget my troubles for a while (or at least be in a position where at .08 BAC I no longer am capable of giving a fuck).

Is there a way I can incorporate an intense exercise regimen that allows for the excess calories of alcohol consumption, eating otherwise 'okay' foods and not be a fatass rentacop?

>read the sticky
>no help for boozers

Nigga I was 135 at 5' 8" and am likewise an alcoholic. I was drunk literally from the moment I woke up until I passed out somewhere. Just get plenty of exercise and dont eat.

>and dont eat.
That doesn't really sound healthy or practical. What exactly is 'plenty of exercise,' aerobic or anarobic?

Fix your head and the body will follow.

Alcohol decreases muscles, increases depression, and lowers testosterone.

.... counseling?

That's funny. There's no orange belt in Tae Kwon Do

>this guy

I was living your life a few years ago. Except booze turned to prescription drug use/abuse.

I just quit everything cold turkey. Moderate exercise daily, switched to a vegan diet, and just focused on the things I enjoy.

I have never met someone with the beer bottle collection like this that wasn't a faggot

This post belongs on Reddit, please leave fatty. Read the sticky and figure it out yourself.

"the pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret"

>2 classes away from graduating
Obv answer is go and finish those classes and apply for jobs in your field. Cmon man if not for yourself then for your children

>vegan
Smh

Thats... Actually quite true

Switch from bear to vodka, drink it straight ofc

Sounds like ADD and social anxiety.

You most likey have problems communicating without booze and low self esteem.

You're self-medicating with alcohol, I think your realize that too. So, the perspective I'm seeing is you're still young, you're only class 1 obese so that's like 60 pounds till you hit the true normal range, but if you don't take steps now to better your life you'll find yourself deeper and deeper in shit until you really hit rock bottom. It's a long way down.

Some suggestions:

Right off, just count calories. Keep track of whatever you eat, make sure you track the alchohol, keep it 200-300 calories below your TDEE and you'll lose weight.

Take steps to take control of your habits. Get a firm handle on your alcohol consumption before something happens in your life that drives you deeper into the drink. You can try limiting yourself to 2 beers a day, you can try limiting the nights you drink to 3 nights a week. Slow and actionable changes are key here.

It sounds like you have the spark of motivation. So start today - take advantage of the feeling. When it starts to wane, that's when you need discipline. Some people say that's all you need and that motivation is worthless, but in my experience it's best to leaven the one with the other. That way when you're feeling motivated it reinforces your discipline, and when you're not your discipline can carry you out of those gloomy days.

Good luck, brother. You got this, you just got to do it.

i was like you OP.

I went to my local AA meeting and I haven't touched alcohol for 6 months. I feel so much better and I'm the most fit I've ever been. Best of all my depression has, for the most part, faded. No more thoughts of suicide for no apparent reason.

Give it a shot. It's pretty lame at first but it works.

Don't eat so much. CACO. STFU and put down the fork you fat sack of garbage.

>your 1RM

Look you really need to quit thinking in terms of diets and programs and generally things you get done with.

Make small changes and work your way up gradually. Make them into a habit, small stuff really.
Those 5 fish tacos you were going to eat tonight, well just eat 3.
Try to switch up a few beers for light beers however faggy that sounds.
If you can't give up soda for water just drink the diet kind.
Small stuff man.

Also if you want to lose weight and by god you should, you need to remember that it's mainly up to your diet you can not outrun your fork.
Count your calories.
Exercise only compliments your calorie reduction.

Godspeed mang.

>My question is essentially, how do you stick with an entirely new program? How do you - or CAN you be a functional alcoholic and still lose weight?

you cant, especially not if you drink beer
there's absolutely no way you can have a balanced diet while consuming so many useless calories

if you absolutely cant face reality, maybe consider a different drug like pot, although obviously everything will have it's downsides

Not the op but similar.
Will it help if I'm a fedora?
How to quit when your friends still drink?

Former fatty to thin to fatty again and now thin again. Stop drinking. Seriously. I lost easily ten to fifteen pounds without additional exercise. Not drinking sucks, but I cleared up my alcoholism and feel and look better.

You admitted yourself your a functioning alcoholic, if your health was a concern you would've quit drinking before it moved in to problem territory. Switch to vodka and do lots of cardio. How retarded do you have to be to not figure this shit out?

Man, OP, you have to balance your booze out if you are going to be healthy. You have to compromise somewhere.

Me personally, I stick to hard liquor (fewer calories) except for special occasions and I don't drink more than once or twice a week.

There is no way you can drink all the time and expect to be healthy. Your body can't handle it.

>14/hour
>family

I don't know the cost of living where you're from but is that enough to support you all? I assume your wife works too but 14 an hour seems really small.

after 90 days of doing the 12 steps I didn't even feel like drinking. I go out to bars and clubs and drink water and I'm fine with it.

yes, everyone is welcomed, you can even wear a fedora if you want.

Yes, it's worth a shot.

Switch to vodka if you absolutely cant/wont give up daily alcohol.
>Count calories.
But really, just go to therapy brah. Not even trolling here, you really need help to prevent alcohol/fat from ruining your life.
You have three boys. I have two brothers. At some point my dad got his shit under control and we all turned out allright. You need to be a dad to those kids man. They NEED to be able to look up to you.

Take your last two classes and finish your degree. You must do it user!

do not listen to non-alcoholics like this guy

switching to vodka will not help anything. Go to AA it's free

OP for once doesn't suck balls and actually has a serious, important question. Monitoring...

Why do you collect garbage like it's art?

How dare you call me a non-alcoholic! I-Im just a lil sober right now b-but I totally drink like, a lot.

You do have a point tho. If alcoholics could drink in moderation then they would not be alcoholics.

you say the sticky doesn't help but it's the same principles for any human with limbs: eat less. move more. as far as the booze goes I only drink spirits now, easier on kcals

managing hunger is tough and I find fibrous foods and lots of water to be key. intermittent fasting is popular and I like it because I can work through hunger all day and then feast at home and still be in a deficit

glhf op

>ATA

OP here, I just got back from 'exercising'

Of course the first time will suck. It gets better quickly.

>thank you in particular for your post; whats TDEE?
>Never touched pot, and can't due to my job, but I get what your saying
Las Vegas, NV. She is an EMT-Advanced.
Thank you all for your comments, I'll be saving this bread offline for further reading.

I want to 'cut down' on booze before quitting cold turkey - if that isn't making excuses... I don't smoke so that is a plus I guess.

Thanks... I think I need some headphones and music, might help. I am breathing inna nose and outta mouth but I get winded easily and go 'fuck it' and just pant through both to catch my breath. My run was very intermittant. I am going to look up some youtube videos on "how" to run right now...

What app is that

Runkeeper - GPS Track Run Walk by FitnessKeeper, Inc.

I put the full title info because there is a knockoff. Another Security bro at work uses it and recommends it. There is a lot of 'pay to use' stuff but for what I just did, it is free.

>alcohol is my ultimate stress reliever

Every single dollar you spend on booze is one dollar less your kids will have. Think about it every time you feel like taking a sip.

>what's TDEE

Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Just google TDEE calculators to get an idea of how much energy you're using daily. Eat 500-700 calories lower than that daily. It's better to underestimate your activity levels, especially if you're 25+% body fat.

>I want to 'cut down' on booze before quitting cold turkey - if that isn't making excuses... I don't smoke so that is a plus I guess

A lot of people say cold turkey or bust, but if you're disciplined you can cut back. I've tried to quit smoking cold turkey a handful of times - I only found success after cutting back from a pack a day to a half pack to a third of a pack, etc.

Enjoy your habit, but don't let it control you.

>I think I need some headphones and music, might help.

Definitely. If you're running, definitely check out Couch to 5k - it's a fantastic interval program that will have you running a 5k in just about 9 weeks. Tons of people have cooked up podcasts with music timed to the intervals - makes it a real breeze.

14minute per mile run
>run

>I need my alcohol because

Because nothing. This is completely pathetic. Keep making excuses and keep making a fool of yourself.

Nobody cares about your life story and why you're special and it harder for you than anyone else. The ONLY thing that exist is results.

this desu

>uhhh Veeky Forums how do i lose weight XDDD

KILL YOURSELF