Are deadlifts overrated?

Are deadlifts overrated?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUcHKAj_tc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I do stiff legged ones... Only thing that seems to hit hamstrings good enough without looking like I'm "presenting" to the whole gym for anal (good mornings)

No.

Do whatever you want to do

No, just be safe and make sure you find what variation's best for your body type. At 6'1, i have extremely long femurs and shorter arms, so sumo is the way to go.

Yes. I just do curls 3x8 Monday through Friday. Girls drool over my arms.

Deadlifts are for gays who go to the gay gym with all the gay male nurses and gay male airline stewardesses. Have fun with that. No really. Please do have fun with that, if it's what you're in to.

no, they're underrated

CRAKA WHAYTE BOIS CANT DEADLIFT LIKE THE TRUE NEGRO WE WUZ KANGZ OF KILLLIFTS

>so sumo is the way to go.

No, it's literally one of the best exercises you can do.

Deadlifts are my favorite exercise. I feel like a Greek god lifting up 2pl8 and feeling my back muscles clench to bring the weight up.

It's like Military Press without the shittiness!

snap city bitch snap snap city bitch

Fuck, that was painful to watch.

>those knees

it hurts

>I feel like a Greek god lifting 2pl8
Please be a troll

Please

Yes, they're extremely overrated.

It only makes sense to them if you're into powerlifting or strongman, in which case they're part of your sport, so there's really no getting away from them. If you're a competitive bodybuilder it might also makes sense if you want to work your lower back, although many top bodybuilders obviously don't do deadlifts.

I really don't see the use for someone who just wants to look jacked and doesn't plan on competing (which is the vast majority of people who lift). Any muscle deadlifts target you can target better with other exercises. inb4 king of all exercises, targets so many muscle groups, so what? Bench press activates my lats when I push from the bottom, that doesn't mean I use it as a lat builder, I'd rather do pull ups or rows. Same goes for every muscle group deadlifts activate - hamstring, glutes, lats, traps.

Let's face it, the only reason anyone likes doing deadlifts is because it looks badass to pick up a lot of weight from the ground. There's pretty much no other real reason.

They are overrated.

At least for most people.

I have lean, athletic legs that look better than almost every guy I see deadlifting in MY gym (I know there's people out there that look better than me) and it's mostly to do with calves

I've always been athletic, so running/sprinting/jumping/dodging has always been something I did. Throughout my life I've developed nice legs naturally.

I'd say do sprints/plyometrics instead of trying to deadlift a shitton of weight

whatislegcurls

Jón Páll said it best.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUcHKAj_tc

>Greek god
2pl8 might look strong to complete noobs but anyone with a little experience and especially Veeky Forums is not impressed

It really took you four paragraphs to explain why you're a little bitch? Shit boi

you can't ditch an exercise because you're self-conscious man, i used to have the same problem with good mornings but then i stopped giving a shit and now they're my favorite lift

progress is personal, stop projecting your insecurities.

When I do good mornings I do 4 sets. 2 sets wide, like ludicrously wide, and 2 sets really narrow. Thrashes my entire posterior chain.

Underrated if anything
What are you some kind of faggot?

interesting, i might have to try out different width variations. ATM i just drop-set the shit out of them after my main sets. feelsgood/badman.

this is hard to watch

That much text to tell everyone you're a faggot choking on dicks daily?
gonna be more direct little lady

Where do you guys program in your good mornings? Before/after deadlifts or as a replacement for them?

Please post a current so the heavy deadlifters here can have a laugh

this desu

I usually do mine after squats honestly, and it might be 3 weeks between doing them. I'm always trying to switch things up. My gym has all the specialty bars as well, so I use buffalo bar, cambered bar, safety bar, and standard bar. Fucking love using the cambered bar for good mornings.

as a replacement... well, not exactly a replacement, since they're kinda different. i do GMs and leg curl for my hams though. but ultimately GMs are more of a low back move.

So if you don't want to be athletic and don't want to be a bodybuilder, don't deadlift. Sweet.

ah, and same as the user above, after squats. not sure i could reach my potential on squats after doing GMs.

Nope.

But squats definitely are.

This, I always recommend front squats and/or leg curls after deadlifts. Flat footed prowler pushes are really good too. And always crush your upper back, like every fucking day.

Weightlifting in general is over rated

Thanks, I'll try throwing them in my next leg workout.

You can be athletic and aesthetic without deadlifting.

All I said is that if you want to compete in powerlifting/strongman there's no getting around doing them. You can be athletic without competing in these.

There have been many top-tier bodybuilders and even Mr. Olympias that don't deadlift, so you can bodybuild without it as well.

What men on grams of steroids do has almost nothing to do with what you should be training.

>avoid a lift widely agreed upon as effective and commonly used across several athletic, strength based and muscular pursuits because some have been successful without it

Strong logic m8

most olympia winners deadlift tho. Also top body builders do it, zyzz, lazarov, jeff did it even if they juiced.

Just fucking do it, stop being a numale for once

deadlifts are the only lift clinically proven to raise serum T
>the only lift

I'd agree that a lot of variables change when you take drugs, but a lot of things stay the same. If an exercise works for a guy when he's natty it'll work for him when he's on gear, the opposite also being true.

It's useful for some people. It's definitely useful for athletes because it does actually translate well to various movements in different sports, which is a point I neglected. In my original comment I was thinking more about it's usefulness to regular lifters who just want to look good, for whom I still think deadlifts hold little value.

Got some bulging discs so I'd rather stay away from it senpai. Used to do them, didn't do much for me.

>not posting pic of lean athletic legs
ok

>I injured myself doing stupid shit or poor form so I can't do deadlifts therefore other people don't have much to gain from deadlifts

fox and the grapes, god your pathetic

If you like deadlifts then by all means keep doing them familia, more power to you. I was just stating an opinion in and contributing to the discussion. I think it's fair for me to have an opinion on an exercise even if I don't do it anymore. Still haven't had anyone refute any points I made, maybe try to do that instead of getting mad.

>injured idiot thinks his opinion on a lift he no longer performs in anyway adds value to a discussion

it just keeps coming, you can't make this stuff up folks