The 1/2/3/4 is a meme made so fatties can feel good about them self's, the real is ohp for 0.75xbw,bench for 1...

The 1/2/3/4 is a meme made so fatties can feel good about them self's, the real is ohp for 0.75xbw,bench for 1.25xbe squat for 2xbw and greater than 2 for diddy

Other urls found in this thread:

symmetricstrength.com/,
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

whatever, manlet

Bodyweight is a better measure of strength but 1/2/3/4 isn't worthless. For the vast majority of people that implies 'strong', although for lighter people it is much more of an accomplishment than it is for heavier people.

>tfw 1 and 3 but probably a year away from 2 and 4

OHP is a stupid and dumb lift and it can fuck off

My shoulders are my best feature and all I do is bench and OHP.

I don't think it's possible to be able to OHP 1 plate or greater and not have decent juicy delts.

1/2/3/4 isn't strong at all

ohped 55kg for 5,5,9 last session (greyskull lp training for 4 months) and i can't see my shoulders

ohp is so easy compared to bench squat dead for me

I OHPd 47.5kg 9 reps last week, haven't one rep maxed for ages but it should be around 1pl8

I wouldn't say my delts are especially juicy. Still feel pretty dyel. My bench is only at 62.5kg 10 reps though, so nowhere near 2pl8. Think that ruins it.

Fuck off you autist

Anecdotal. Too many variables at play; maybe you do it completely fucking wrong, maybe your range of motion is a joke, maybe you're using legs and push pressing, maybe you had a decent base before you started, maybe you're fat as fuck and lifting heavy weights is easier. Maybe you have decent shoulders and are body dysmorphic.

Who knows?

I think most people who can lift 60kg or more for reps with a strict overhead press will have good shoulders, and look good in general. That's not something that you can achieve quickly for most people.

I'm a manlet and I'm at 1/1.5(due to fucked up left arm)/3/4

Took me about 2 years. Hardest to archive was the 4pl8 DL the others came pretty fast for me.

>I can OHP 47kg so 60kg should be fine

wew

OHP progresses very slowly dude, most people blow through it pretty fast until around the 45-47 mark and then it's a fucking slow grind.

Thinking you can OHP 45kg so you'll be able to do 60kg in no time is a recipe for pretty heavy disappointment.

1 plate OHP is pretty decent but the only thing I take notice of is people who can press their bodyweight or greater.

That's the point at which OHP becomes legitimately impressive.

it's literally not. Unless you weigh like 52 kg you are going to have a low 300s wilks, which is like intermediate.

It's not even close to world class by any means, but it puts you ahead of the vast majority of people and a huge chunk of regular gym goers.

I am 6'1

I was under the impression that unless specified these numbers usually refer to 1RM? Or is it 5reps, 10reps?

I'm saying I could pull a 60kg 1rm now, but yeah years until I can do it 10 times in a row.

It is 5 rep max.
How ever most people who say they can for 5 only do it for one at the most

finally hit >bodyweight ohp last week 82.5kg

1/2/3/4 isn't and never has been 5rm.

The fuck it is.

1/2/3/4/5 5rep max would be insane for more people.

Weakling detected. Lift harder, twink

Yes it is, you shouldnt even touch weight that you cant rep for 5

You need to open your eyes.
It is amazing to the male who can't run a mile and eats at McDonald's

Unless your an experienced powerlifter (+5 years) or on gear you should not touch led than 3.
1/2/3/4 is based on how much weight you train with, so you can rank your self against other gym goers.

>1rep 2pl8 bench
lmao
that means for 5rep is like ~85
that's fucking nothing

this coming from someone that weighs 80 at their heaviest

>bench for 1.25
>ohp for 0.75
>squat/dl 2.

Wat.

No.

It's 1/1.5/2.5/3. X bw.

Lighter people often also have shorter limbs which make the lifts easier.

>you shouldnt even touch weight that you cant rep for 5

Momscience

So you're like 170cm?

I have a suspicion you're push pressing if your shoulders legitimately aren't developed and you find "OHP" easy.

But less total muscle mass to move the weight

Go to symmetricstrength.com/, put 1/2/3/4 and see how is the rating for your BW.

Eh, 1/2/3/4 is way more than I see anyone in the gym ever using... That is if I actually even see anyone squatting or deadlifting. It's pretty impressive by normie standards.

If you're a serious weight lifter, though, it's not particularly impressive. I've always thought the nomenclature was for 1RM, but it is a goal of mine to have it be a 5RM. Presently 1/2/2.5/3.25 for reps.

Obviously it is serious weightlifting standards not normie

The quality of these ripped Donald Trump shoops is in direct proportion to his polling numbers

Lad, surpassing 99% of normie lifters takes 6 months in the gym, no shit we dont measure lifts against them

>It's pretty impressive by normie standards.
they can even squat 1xbw or do a single pullup

why would you bother comparing yourself to them?

i do seated ohp so probly not

...and your entire board is one big homo hook up fest.

It shouldn't be for 1RMs.

Anyone lifting less than 1/2/3/4 for 5 reps really has no fucking reason to be testing their 1RM. It's like bragging about successfully finishing high school.

I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure most people mean 1RM when they say they lift 1/2/3/4. Either way it's a pointlessly arbitrary strength gauge.

So you're doing an easier version of an exercise and wondering why it's not translating to your goals?

Listen here you dips.

1/2/3/4 and bodyweight ratios are both sub-optimal for measuring strength. But both have their place.

They are useful for giving rough estimates, without having to use complicated formulas and odd numbers down to half a kilogram.

They also only apply to novice and intermediate lifters of average height, weight and bodyfat. (i.e. 170-190 cm, 60-100kg)
>inb4 retards saying "what about skeletal lanklets 190cm@60kg
see above "average bodyfat". people like: ~170cm@60-80kg, ~180cm@70-90kg, ~190cm@80-100kg
Again, this is rough estimates as well. of course there are still going to be significant differences when comparing the extremes.

1/2/3/4 for 1RM is a rough estimate of what to reach withing 1-2 years of training.
Is anyone going to reach them within one week of eachother? most likely not.
A 4pl8 deadlift is far harder than a 1pl8 OHP.
It's still a good goal for a noob lifter to shoot for in his first 1-2 years of training.

Does it classify someone as "strong"?
Again, it's really only useful for novice and intermediate lifters.
Is it "strong" for someone who's been "lifting" for 5 years? Not at all.
For someone who's been lifting for 3 months? definitely.
For someone who's been lifting for a year? Yeah. Not exceptional, but good.

Lifting produces extremely diminishing returns over the years.
You can't compare a 6 month lifter to a 2 year lifter, or even a 1 year lifter.
But you can compare a 5 year lifter to a 10 year lifter.

Do you want to accurately compare strength? Use a formula.
Do you want to quickly and easily compare two lifters of different bodyweights? Use bodyweight ratios.
Do you want to set goals for yourself? Use pl8s and bodyweight ratios.

There are too many variables affecting your lifitng performance. Which is why these "standards" can really only be applied to "Average" lifters.
fatass? doesn't apply.
skeleton? doesn't apply
midget? doesn't apply
giant? doesn't apply

1x bodyweight for OHP? Fuck me.

I'm usually pretty optimistic but I'm 6'5" and a 2plate OHP seems fucking daunting.

I do 3x5x70 ohp and my shoulders are meh. It's about genetics and bone structure I guess. Unless you are lifting for very long and/or you are on sterons.

Not everyone does 3x5,4,3 and for everyone that doesn't, 5rep max is just as useless a standard. I personally never test my 1RM max, I estimate it using available calculators that are based on statistical studies. It's not 100% accurate, but it's unbiased: It's no more likely to overestimate than it is to underestimate.

It's fine if you want to 1/2/3/4 with 5reps, it's also a perfectly valid standard, but fucking write the rep count. If nothing is there, 1rm is implied. 1pl8 = 1x1pl8

this, they're all imperfect in absolute but have their place.
But of course autists on this site need to pick their one ABSOLUTE RULE and everything else must be shit.
1/2/3/4 is a good goal to set yourself as you start lifting.
It makes you stronger than most people, you should have a decent body as you reach it, of course it's not strong by the standards of someone that competes, but that goes for everything in every sport. It's like having a EGA handicap of 1 or 2. You're leagues better than most of the amateurs out there but you're a shit compared to pros

It's 1/2/3/4 for 1RM
And it's what you should expect to reach in 1-2 years of lifting. Nothing more, nothing less.

guarantee this faggots a push presser

congrats!

belt?

I know of at least 10 people who've gotten to 1/2/3/4 for 5 within their first year of lifting. Most serious strength coaches consider these numbers to be the /baseline standard/ for 6-12 months, and the geneticall gifted can get there even faster.

Even I achieved those numbers within 1 year of serious lifting, and I have confirmed shit-tier genetics for athleticism according to every reliable metric. I'm not implying this was easy, because it wasn't. But I still did it.

Maybe you can only expect less if you're a lazy faggot who knows dick about training, but we can't all be as magnificently shit as you are.

t. low bar squatting fatty

Belts help with OHP because they brace the core, and a braced core helps you lift more!

So is it 1/2/3/4 for 1RM or what? Because atm has a 80kg DYEL that looks like utter shit I can OHP lmao1pl8, bench 90, squat 120 and deadlift 140 for 1RM's. This doesn't strike me as anywhere near impressive desu.

Because none of them are impressive, you should be able to do all of those for 5 at your bodyweight fairly comfortably.

With what time frame?

This and also helps lower the risk of potential injury.

This

I said "within 1-2 years", that means up to 2 years.
And that includes all kinds of different factors that could negatively affect training.

>previous experience training/working out/sports
>nutrition and rest
>injuries
>technique
>mentality

Of course you can easily reach 1/2/3/4 for reps in less than a year if you played sports all your life, do a proper program with a calorie surplus, are consistent, get good rest and sleep and train around experienced people or even with a coach.

But if you're a fatass or skeleton who never did any activity, get all your information from the internet, little knowledge about nutrition, shitty sleep pattern and train in a commercial gym where you're the only person who squats, and you are knocked out by an injury for 2 months, that's a totally different story.

Like me. I've been "going to the gym" for 4 years now. Started when I was 19, did zero exercise before.
Only started lifting (i.e. with barbells, squats and deadlifts) 2 years ago.
Over these 2 years I was injured and couldn't lift for ~4 months.
I was cutting for a combined 4-6 months as well.
That's almost a year where my progress was slowed or stopped.

I completed 1/2/3/4 for 1 in december, i.e. after 1.5 years. (OHP and bench a bit earlier, deadlift a bit later)

So it took me 3.5 years in the gym to reach a 1/2/3/4 1RM.
But if I condensed it down to the timeframe where I was actually seriously lifting and my progress was good or ideal, it's only 6-8 months.

Current stats: 75/115/150/200 (kilograms) @73kg

>train in a commercial gym where you're the only person who squats
I think this is part of my problem (but with deadlifts). I've rarely seen people deadlifting, but when I do it's usually a DYEL struggling with lmao1plaet. Nobody for me to really compare to or ask for tips, and I learn from experience... Videos and reading only do so much.

I can do these measures easily except for squat because of shitty knees (had fucked up knees before lifting)

>190cm
>80-100kg
That's pretty tiny, you'll get heavier than that fast as fuck without necessarily getting much stronger at that height.

so you're a fatty right?

not at all. 75kg
What makes you think that?

>ants are so strong!

No I'm not some fat powerlifer, I just think this logic is completely retarded. You are not stronger than someone because you weigh 50 pounds less than them. Is a 30 pound bicycle faster than a corvette?