Just switched to PPL from upper/lower, lost strength in a few things on push. Why...

Just switched to PPL from upper/lower, lost strength in a few things on push. Why? I added some more stuff to my routine that i didn't do before, such as incline bench and dips. Also started supersetring shoulder press and lat raises. Regressed in tricep overhead extension and chest flyes.

Could it be that due to my exhausting certain muscles more from the added stuff, i went down in other stuff?

Other urls found in this thread:

muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout?
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Recovery

What about it?

I had been on a full body every other day since i started, no problems, made consistent gains. Switched to upper/lower, went 6 days a week, again made gains. If anything PPL has me putting more days between muscle groups. Could it be that a decreased frequency is fucking me over, even rhough i'm still going 6 days a week?

What is recovery of the nervous system

Add up total poundage from each workout and compare total amount of performed between each workout.

That or with super setting, you're not allowing time for creatine phosphate to replenish quickly enough.

how long have you been doing this routine? You are probably doing more sets per muscle group than you were before. If you havent been doing it for very long your body most likely isnt used to it yet and you are fatiguing. Keep it up and make sure you are eating enough and you should be fine. Also it probably doesnt need to be said but make sure you are doing your lifts in the right order. Most compound/heaviest weight --> isolated/lowest weight

I do bench first, and it's the only one i'm still progressing in. Just hit a new personal record last session and did it again this time, so that's a plus. But the subsequent addition of incline bench and dips put my triceps and chest to work more than usual, so.., maybe you're right.

On the other hand, i do wonder if i've been working out too much like others have said. I'm experiencing a lot of forearm pain, and last session I may have fucked up my right forearm doing dips-- it went numb for a while, and it's been unusially weak ever since. Multiple injuries are supposed to be a sign of overtraining so I dunno. Also might not be eating enough but am definitely getting enough sleep. I guess i'll up my calories and see if that helps...

Ah, and I've been on PPL for only a week.

What's your push routine?

DB bench 3x10 (2 warmup sets)

DB incline bench 3x10

DB shoulder press/lateral raises 3x10, 3xdropsets (supersets)

Dips 3x10

Tricep overhead extensions 3x10

Chest flyes (machine) 3x10

I occasionally will incorporate dropsets into things if I couldn't hit 3x10 for some reason or if I felt that my form was slacking.

Keep in mind that 4day week UL is legit science, whereas 6day week PPL is pure bro science.

what about 6 day/week UL?

tbqh i wish i could gym 7 days a week but that might be pushing it

also scientific sauce pls

>what about 6 day/week UL?

no

recovery is just as important as lifting

you body can only naturally repair as much tissue within x time as naturally possible

if you want more days in the gym (AND ACTUALLY GET A BENEFIT FROM BEING IN THE GYM EXTRA DAYS) you need to get on steroids.

Just like a burn victim in hospital, who is given steroids to heal faster...it's the same shit. I don't think you guys realize how important steroids are for recovery.

Just imagine you're in an RPG game and you're having to deal with regeneration/recovery mechanics in order to expend energy and have down-time, due to slow regeneration. Then you find a special potion buff that gives you 200-300% bonus regeneration, now you have much less down time. That is how steroids work.

ok this is what confuses me then:

full body, every other day from the very beginning... gains were great.

UL 6 days/week would put the exact same amount of time, 48 hrs, between each muscle group.

i started splitting stuff for a.) the sake of adding more stuff, b.) to be able to focus on either upper or lower with more intensity.

You probably didn't lose strength, you just can't lift as much after all that volume beforehand. I bet if you did overhead extensions and flyes at the beginning, you'd be moving whatever weight you could move before.

Yes! Dips always give me this neuropathy, like zaps shooting through my arm. I think its just something that pinches nerves if you go too deep or do it with swollen arms.

yeah i wonder if my wrist position was all fucked and i compressed a nerve or some shit because on my first set today the same thing happened in my right thumb, but then i realized that i could swing the bars over so that they were closer and finished my sets without any further fuckery. also my wrists are bony as hell... might have to do some wrist curls or something, it's ridiculous.

might fuck up my big lifts though... i may be good dropping the flyes altogether, but doing isolation first?

Follow an actual program instead of something you made up yourself. I suggest something in the sticky.

Yes it's true, protein synthesis for a natty lasts 24-48 hours, I think 36 hours is the actual peak and then it drops down dramatically after that.

But that doesn't take into account recovery.

With UL x Ul xx ; those last 2 days off are extremely important for recovery of joints, tendons, CNS.

Joints, tendons and CNS recovery is literally the building blocks of your progress. Most important is joints and tendons, since CNS under-recovery generally takes weeks to take effect.

To give you a good example. Back when I did ULxULxx. 80-90%+ of my PR's would come on the first UL, after the 2 day break. I'd pretty much almost never hit a PR on the 2nd sessions of UL during the week. The reason for that is the 2 day break during the first UL session of the week, my joints and tendons recovered much better with a full 48 hours off which allowed me to push really hard on that first UL session of the week. The same could not be said for the second UL session of the week.

I'm not suggesting you do isolation first, just pointing out that if you DID, you'd probably notice no strength loss

If you add more volume to your program, of course your last lifts will lag a bit

Also this

Thoughts on muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout? What program did you use?