Running

Running thread, all types of running welcome. Shoes, gear, technique and more.

Other urls found in this thread:

brooksrunning.com/en_us/mens-beast-14-running-shoes/110171.html
youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Also, what new shoes do fellow 5-10k runners recommend? Looking to get a new pair soon. These are the Nike Zoom Vomero 10s. Looked into getting the Pegasus, any suggestions?

Am I gonna fuck my shit up by running 10k three times a week (Tues, Thur, Sat)? MWF I lift weights and run a mile or two on the treadmill and currently run 10k on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Would the extra run on Saturday not be sustainable? Still learning a lot about running.

You can work up to it, certainly. I know people running 80-100 miles a week. Make sure you sleep and eat enough.

I keep getting a pain in the left side of my neck everytime I run, halp

Whoa, I can't imagine hitting that mileage. Thanks though, gonna try easing into it this Saturday then.

Try to improve your posture, friendo.

Personally I'm not a fan of Nike running shoes. I prefer Brooks or Saucony since they specialize in running shoes. Nike obviously does all kinds of sports. I would go to a running store and have them examine your pronation and form. From there they can suggest what type of shoe you need. Then you can go online and buy last year's model since all they do is add pretty colors.
I prefer Saucony Kimvaras.
And I can't remember the name, but I run races, and trail races, in black Mizuno shoes. They're orange and black. Kind of ugly but nice.

in what way? I assume my shoulders are too tight or something but if I leave them loose it still hurts, I'm thinking of going to the local running club and see what they can do for me

You should be going for time and consistency when you start running, not mileage. 10k is 6.2 miles, but that doesn't matter much if you can't run at a consistent pace and fast. Aim to keep your heart rate up consistently DAILY. Not three days a week with 18 miles total.

Brooks shoes are best shoes. This is the model I utilize.
brooksrunning.com/en_us/mens-beast-14-running-shoes/110171.html

Thanks brehs

Just me, try to run at six miles per hour at first. That's a easy 10 minute mile that won't kill you...unless you suck.

Too slow famalamadingdong.

It depends on goals, really. If he or she wants to run further and casually, then adding mileage is the way to go. Along the way, interval training, tempo runs, repeats, etc. will be necessary to keep up, maybe. Running competitively, then yes, he or she might want to run at a consistent, fast race pace and improve from there. That's how we train at cross country. But for a casual runner looking to increase only mileage, then running further is going to be the best way to do so.

I've finally decided to lose weight, but I weigh 100kg and the last time I went running I got shin splints. Should I use a bike at the gym, or invest in decent shoes?

Invest in good, quality running shoes and fix your form. Make sure to stretch, foam roll, and all that good jazz.

Is running worth it bros?

I run about 2 miles/day 5 days a week since I don't want to buy a $300 parking pass from my school. Also, waiting for a parking spot takes fucking forever, so it saves time for me just to park off campus then jog to class.

I used to do cross country back in HS but all it did was make me dyel

I started doing HIIT a few months ago and it's fucking ridiculous how much more endurance I have.

I never even noticed until I started swimming laps. When I swam 3x a week a couple years ago I was fucking panting and dying at 500m. Now I can go 1km+ no fucking problem, and I haven't swam in years.

Just crazy.

I'm in cross country as well so that's how I train, that's the way to train for the fastest results.

Then do a 8 minute mile, right now I'm sitting at a 14:38 two mile. So a little over 7:19 mile and I want to drop it to a solid 7 minute mile. With full kit and a rifle I've got a 10 minute mile (Aprox).

I've recently started doing squats, and my legs are killing me on the days after, which I usually run on. Should I not run at all after leg days or is it okay to still run?

I run and lift. People think I'm shredded when I'm shirtless.
With a good diet, smart programming, stretching/mobility, you can combine lifting and running.
However, I don't run long distances anymore. After XC, I switched to HIIT at the track twice a week.
I would say it's worth it since the heart is the most important muscle in the body.
If running scares you, do biking or swimming.

Shin splints come from too much running or inexperienced running. Even skinny people get shin splints, I had them when I started cross country in high school. They go away eventually after you train daily and lose weight too. Get fitted with actual running shoes by a professional. You're just gonna have to run through those shin splints, running is pain. If you aren't uncomfortable you're doing it wrong.

Yeah imo its worth it. I'm a lean build runner though, I don't do marathons, I run 5ks and 10ks and at most half marathons.

I weigh 110 lbs at 5'9. I'm a complete skelly above the belt, but what little fat I do have is all in my thighs and butt. Should I do running and eating at a deficit until I cut down on that body fat before bulking up and lifting?

>1km+ no problem
M8...running distance will do that too. That's less than a warm up for most.

I'm not saying I'm swimming some really far amount. I'm more commenting on where I am now vs where I am before. I've only gone swimming twice now in my current routine, and both times it was right before the pool closed. I got to 1km, which was hard for me before, so I haven't tested what my upper limit is right now.

Of course I'm just in general much better shape than I was in 2013, so that could be factor, but my whole life my endurance has been total shit so it's really cool to not have that problem now.

And yes, obviously long distance running will do that too. What's cool to me is that I was skeptical that HIIT was just a meme, but doing high intensity shit for 20 minutes really did have a noticeable effect on my endurance.

Stats and lifts?

I can run a sub 17:00min 5k and my squat is shit.
I'm 5'10" 161lbs and I squat 245 3x5
Does running have no correlation with squat?

anyone got a proper running form infographic?

Not an infograph but a vid:
youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo
Can't link the the other vid right now, but it explains two types of runners, gazelles and gliders.

thanks

5'11 168 lb 19 years old
I'm not even that big, honestly, and neither are my lifts. Never used a strength routine but just been doing PPL for about 5 months. I've hopped onto a more logical linear progression PPL about two weeks ago to get my numbers up, however.
5x5 stats:

200 bench
125 OHP
200 squat (previously torn sartorius and can't squat too much)
315 deadlift (1x5)

It goes to show what it takes to be "shredded." But I don't care much for my lifts. I care more about physique and being lean and running. I would like to focus on triathlons following college.

You're training slow twitch muscle fibers when running long (relative) distances. Squats train fast twitch muscle fibers. The correlation between running and squats should be negative for this reason. You can still train both, and be reasonably strong and a reasonably good runner (soccer players), but in order to optimize one or the other, you would need to pick one

how often do you guys change your running shoes? iv had mine about a year and a half using them maybe 3 times a week on treadmill. they still feel good, is it time for a new pair?

Depends on your mileage. Running 40-50 miles a week will be 4-6 months

Makes sense. How come my squat goes up or down while running? Is it because of fatigue? It goes from 245 for 3x5 to 205 to 225 for 3x3-5

Another user stated it, fast/slow twitch muscles.
However I'll add, yes they do work together though. People that never do cardio or repetitive workouts (calf raises) have an imbalance in their muscles.
People that do a lot of circuit training usually have equally strong fast/slow muscle growth, they also tend to have a much more cut or aesthetic look because their muscles are larger all around (opposed to just people who lift heavy weights and than take breaks) who have big arms, but they look like shit.

Slow twitch muscles can help with stabilization during power muscle exercises and can help you begin to do your heavier weights at a faster speed.

I been thinking of getting into barefoot running... am I making a bad choice or not?

Whenever I run my nuts start to hurt

Feels like their pushing themselves back up inside of me, dosnt go away until aftrr ive finished running

That's natural, any exercise that causes the heart to pump at an abnormal level forces muscles within your groin to tighten.
One set pulls the testicles up towards your body, this is to keep them safe and not dangling.
The other pinches off your dick and redirects blood back towards the body.
Your dick shrivels up slightly (looks a little pale) which is also a safety method.

There are also parts of your toes, arms, and even a portion of your brain that gets limited blood flow.
So if your toes ever go numb during a run, that's why.
To relax said muscles as quickly as possible do hip flexor/groin stretches and when you're alone lightly rub the inside of your thighs and gooch, will stimulate blood flow.

I thought you were supposed to wait for shin splints to heal. Aren't they like micro fractures in your muscle and bone? How is more running going to help that?

Thanks man, appreciate it

lmao cav scouts

So bad ass they have to compare themselves to the infantry at every turn

Can you explain why my squat goes up or down while running? I run 40-50 miles a week and lots of hills since it's trail running.
I'm doing SS, but it's hard to do it with my squat numbers not being steady. I'm going to cut to 150 for an upcoming run soon.
My Deadlift stays the same though 325 for 1x5.

work on hamstring and adductor flexibility. Look up frog stretch.

Fatigue. If you're muscles are not fully recovered from a demanding run, you're squat will suffer. You may also be low on glycogen for a day or two after a long run if you aren't eating enough. This will also cause your lifts to suffer. Honestly, that's a lot of running to be able to make steady gains.

Also, it hurts my ego.
I was thinking of squatting everyday to grease the groove, and ingraine my squat technique

This seems like a good place to ask this. I pretty much never do serious cardio, but two weeks ago I went for a 6km run. It wasn't over rough terrain and I didn't go terribly fast either, but the next day I felt pain in the sole/outer side of my left foot. Two days later I was walking around town and was limping because it had gotten pretty damn uncomfortable, not extremely painful or anything but definitely enough to make me worried. Also the pain only flares up when I actually walk. Standing still or walking on my tiptoes is no problem. It has been almost two weeks now and the pain has gotten better but not disappeared completely, largely due to the fact that I have been mostly sitting on my ass the whole time.
Any ideas what could have happened? I'm not a fattie and consider myself decently fit, and have never had issues like this when running before.

Meant to post that to you.
I shouldn't expect much gains while doing that?
I don't want to have an imbalanced upper body because I can do 70lb chin up 3x5 and 60lb dips 3x5 and end up having small legs.
Also, it hurts my ego with my squat going up and down and not my deadlift
I was thinking of squatting everyday to grease the groove, and ingraine my squat technique. Would that be a good idea? I did that for pullups when I was a noob at them.

I run for 4 months straight with out a problem then all of sudden bam IT band starts acting up. Stop running now it has been three months since I have ran. This has happened to me twice now. Any reason?

You're just feeling DOMS which will go away after your body becomes more accustomed to lifting. Just give it a few workouts

NP, if it is causing you physical pain.
Check it next time, are your balls extra sensitive or seem abnormal?
Don't get it in your head that something is wrong right off the bat, it's our dick and balls. As men we generally assume the worst like a pimple on your balls becoming genital herpes (when you obviously couldn't of gotten genital herpes) just cop a feel, if it seems abnormal ice it and see if that helps reduce swelling or pain.
>note when icing your balls double wrap that shit in a shirt or pillow case it should feel cool but not cold like when you regularly ice something cold is not good
ive had it happen before where running for some reason irritated my balls possibly from heat or chaffing of legs.
GLHF user

Hills are considered HIIT and while you might consider your run to be SS cardio, hill training is more akin to sprints, it's a lifting of your entire body via your legs. It's pretty much really fast paced squats. I'd assume your squat if suffering because the muscle groups while not entirely the same, share some of the same muscles in the movements.
To keep things more stabilized I suggest doing what I do.
Which is front load all leg workouts
Mondays I do squats, leg presses.
Tue I run SS, no hills, decent distance.
Thur I do Slow twitch workouts (calf raises, iron mikes) both weighted and body weight, the weighted is purely for stabilizer groups, the body weight is all about high reps which gives you sick calfs.
Fri I run sprints and hills which involves a lot of slow twitch muscles because of the ability to either push yourself extremely fast or move your body weight up something.

Your workouts need to be spread out like that.
If not you will burn out super fast, cardio is a lot more punishing in my opinion than lifting.
I'm pretty high, so I wish I could give you more advice on it, but just take with it that in the cardio world, generally getting your heavy lifting out of the way is better.

>try running in my neighbourhood
>asshole white trash neighbours let their dog loose
>chases me everytime

I swear to God, I'm going to curbstomp that fucking thing if it ever bites me.

Is a flipbelt a good investment if I want to carry my phone, headphones, and wallet with me when I run?

Hey Veeky Forums I'm kind of a bigguy and I want to get off my ass and begin hitting the gym. What's a good shoe for someone who wants to begin jogging from basically couch to 5k and is also flat-footed but doesn't want to spend $200 on shoes?

How's your flexibility and mobility?

>Trail running

Cardio I enjoy.
Dry here so I hopped around the roots in a dried out riverbed. Variety of terrain and elevation. And it's fun to do some sprints on trails too.

Pick up a towel with your toes for 20 reps three times a week. Focus on using the front of your calves (if that makes any sense).

Best cure for running woes is more runnings.

I have a question...how hard is it for the average runner to Boston qualify? And how long would it take to build up to a marathon, then build up to a BQ marathon? I can run a half, and I'm training for a full.

Senpai for running shoes that will work you need to spend $130+ That's for everyone, not just flat footed people.

Massachusetts sucks dick, NH is the best

Do. Not. Run. Through. Shinsplints.
It gets worse untill you limp while walking. I got them a bunch when I first started running. Each time I had to take about a month off before they didn't hurt anymore. What fixed it for me was a slow build up of mileage and I swear by running on the balls of your feet. (no healstriking)

You really need to get better at dealing with dogs user, but in reality.
If it chases you again, aim a kick right where it's shoulders and neck meet. It's center of gravity is around this area and it will send the dog spinning.
>pic related
Note the house number, call the local sheriff.
Roads and any side walk directly parallel to a road is public property, the dog is off its leash and considered at large which is illegal in most states.

I honestly learn each dog in areas I run and deal with them accordingly, two black dogs always try to chase me just slow down to a light jog and tell them flat out "stay there" make eye contact, if they move I tell them to "get", and than I move on.
Pretty loveable Lab named Gunner though that's too stupid to listen to me, so I made friends. Stupid dog now goes on runs with me, get back to my home. Pat him twice and tell him goodbye.
He just walks home.

Squats helped me not get shin splints. Go deep

FUCKING RETARD LMAO. Shin splints aren't injury, and running on the balls of your feet isn't some special technique, it's what you're always supposed to do. You gradually increase mileage but shin splints are an injury. Get that through your head. Your month off was a waste and any coach or physical therapist would say the same thing.

Personal opinion, go ahead and bulk. I understand there is no such thing as spot reduction, but running does improve leg muscle (biking is better) and you can "spot reduce" fat by putting muscle underneath it, which makes it seem less obvious.

Any night runners here? I need a recommendation on a new flash light to take with me. I'm looking for someone handheld since headlamps are annoying.

Just started c25k (week 3). I'm dieing in this heat. I run in sweat pants, boxers, and a cotton undershirt. When I'm done I'm just waited down by my cloths. What clothing choices should I buy?

Thank you for helping a new runbro

So I got bit by the running bug, and have been slowly upping my mileage. I love the way it makes me feel and look and I've fallen in love with it.

Thing is, I think I've got a nasty case of plantar fasciitis. I've got all the symptoms (sharp pain right above heel, mostly in morning or after sitting for a while). I've looked at some stretches and other stuff online...anyone have experience with it? I think the worst part is not being able to run, I miss it :(

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to spread my workouts.
Is it possible to grease the groove with squats like pull ups?

"Shin splints aren't injury..."
"...but shin splints are an injury."
Help me understand what you meant here.

Try walking instead until you are able to run again

Triathlon master race here.. Hoka One One Clifton 3's drop on Friday! Standing by waiting to order.

Hitting around 30ish miles a week..need to step my run distances up a bit.

5k: 18 minutes
10k: 40 minutes
Mile:4:43
Balanced with a 305 bench and 7:05 500 CSS swim and a 23 point 50 free
My #1 tip: Eat like a motherfucker. If your on the computer, at work, reading, whatever, snack like crazy. I eat around 8000 calories per day and im gaining muscle very slowly with almost no fat gain. Running a 10k and swimming for an hour each day burns an insane amount of calories. Eat big to keep those lfis up

General rule of running.
Build up to your:
Time goal
Distance goal
Speed goal

Jumping up to a huge milestone is how you get injured and set back 3/4 weeks for recovery

After 5 years of running I've built up to 10 mile jogs comfortably without bullshit speed for maybe 2 or 3 times a week

That isn't.... too bad... Any recommendations though?

Aren't* sorry autocorrect. On my phone. They aren't an injury.

See

Same guy here. Running can be absolutely terrible and also best thing you'll ever do in life.

Running on a treadmill breathing in people's smelly breath is awful but running out doors early in the morning, experiencing nature, enjoying the scenery, feeling a crisp breeze in your cheeks is a dream you can experience every day of your life. Think about how much you'll miss running when you turn older. Or just appreciate the movements paraplegics will never experience again. Running is freedom. Running is amazing. Don't miss out on this experience

Leg press user.
It's not greater than squat because it doesn't work out nearly as much, but it's on par with squat because you can press so much more weight.
If you need to focus entirely on keeping your legs big, switch to leg press. You can pretty much do this whenever you want also as I've found it matters little day before or after I run.
Squats matter a lot for me though.

Even walking hurts...I bought some heel support insoles, and they help a bit, but it's been 2 weeks and no real progress.

Gotcha, however I never described shinsplints as an injury. Jury's out on what it really is, but from what I know they do get worse when you try to run through them and the best way to get rid of them is to stop running/decrease mileage. I'll admit, the reason I said don't run through them is from repeatedly trying to run through them only to have it get worse, so it could just be a personal thing. However the idea of stop running or decrease mileage is pretty common knowledge.

Sports physician here. You are an idiot. This is why you shouldn't listen to medical advice on Veeky Forums holy shit. If you get shin splints, follow active rehabilitation. Anything that doesn't hurt - do it. Anything that does - stay away from it. Someone mentioned here picking up a towel with your toes which is great. Also standing on a balance ball for 1 minute on each leg 3 times will make your lower extremities in your feet and upper ankle very strong which is great rehab for shin splints. Stretch and foam roll your calves a lot and apply heat to the area a lot. Also get orthotics and some good quality running shoes, I like asics keyano's (not sure about the spelling on those)

Hmmm...funny because I ran through it and it fixed itself...like all my running injuries. I listen to my coaches and physical therapists Internet "sports physician". Explain?

If you happen to be running in boxers + basketball shorts you are doing it wrong. buying running shorts with liner on the inside for securing your goods might help.

Get better shoes and form famalam.

Singlets/topless and 1inch inseam shorts or amazons seobeans running shorts (show off glutes)
You gotta have people mirin

Thanks

>20:08:41
Thanks bro.
What about glutes? I like my bf miring my glutes. No homo

No, we just said the problem is fatigue. Squatting more will give your body less time to recover. If anything squat less. My suggestion is you stop SS and start doing a PLP routine. Schedule your leg day at least two days after a run. Don't run for those two days, and eat big to get big. You should be recovered by leg day. Run on your other lifting days and even after your lifts on leg day if you have to, but give yourself time to recover before squatting.

I need motivation to pick up running.

Not some shitty picture with Bruce Lee in the background with "inspirational" text, but maybe a long list of positives to cardio training. Or just your own success stories.

Thanks guys.

I run everyday except Sundays usually 8-9miles a day and all of those include long inclines of hills. I don't plan on bulking because I want to stay the same weight for races but I eat enough to stay at maintenance.
Can't I keep squatting for strength instead since it is all motor pattern?

What the crap. Miring.
How long have you been lifting? And your stats?
How is your mile time so fast, but you can't run a 5k sub 15:00 are you heavy/do track?

Cyclist here!
Running is for faggots!

*farts*

The only differences between the leg press and squats are the lack of stress on the back and knees and the fact you aren't working out stabilizers nearly as much on the leg press.
I had to look it up to double check, think the same problems with bench press using the incline machine.
As far as muscle mass goes, it's the same, but actual strength it's a little bit less controlled.
That's fine though because you should easily move to 4pl8 leg press within a few months time, I skipped 2, went to 3, and after only a month at 3 with some different variables I jumped straight to 4 and than had to do linear progression again.
You can make your glutes look bigger and more "toned" by doing iron mikes (walking lunge). It's actually a lot more effective for butt development than squats or any of Trappy's plans.
The reason for this is a much broader range of motion in the walking lunge, the glutes are also mainly slow twitch muscles (meaning you build more muscle by repetitive motion) so doing one hundred on each side will easily build up your ass much faster than squats and give it a much rounder juicier appearance.
The glutes do have some fast twitch muscles in there, so weight lifting is helpful for the whole thing, but not nearly as the cardio side of it.
I suggest trying leg press. With a 5x10 walking lunge, and 5x10 body squat circuit on a different day. Keep your leg press and big weight exercises at the start of your week, do your usual cardio and than do the body weight circuit training near the end.

Until you get a good pair of running shorts. You will know freedom.
Just don't be fat if you're going topless or wearing very short inseam shorts.
If you are fat wear 5in. You can purchase these at Marshall's or tjmaxx very cheap
You can also buy singlets from Marshall's tjmaxx and target
Sky's out Thighs out

Holy shit how much fucking broscience can one post have.

If you want big glutes, look up bret Contreras t-nation post. Hes a literal expert on glute training.

Thanks for all the tips. I will try them.
Also, I have never done leg presses, but the consensus is to not lock out the knees and have a slight bend to them?