Im going to try and bench press 1pl8 for the first time!!

im going to try and bench press 1pl8 for the first time!!

wish me luck!

Send me a postcard from Snap city.

Good luck, OP.

I only got 2 reps, and had to be spotted for 3 more.

God damn I hate being so weak.

Put your phone down and lift

I remember my first time benching 1pl8. Now I warm up with it. You will too, eventually.

I remember my first time benching 2pl8. Now I warm up with it. You will too, eventually.

Some advice if still lurking
Brace and psyche up, I have grip problems because I get nervous and palms get sweaty, right now I'm @ 1.2pl8x5-8 and every time I want to up the weight I get the feeling the bar's gonna fall on my chest, it's just your mind being a pussy just get in proper form and press like your life depends on it

I remember my first time benching 4pl8. Now I warm up with it. You'll get there eventually.

>not warming up with 7pl8

DYELs

I remember my first time benching 8pl8. Now I warm up with it. You will too, eventually.

I too get nervous. My knees get weak, my palms get sweaty, I often vomit on my sweater before the workout. Often times though, on the surface I appear to be calm and ready.

I remember my first time benching 2hondacivics8. Now it's my warm up. You'll get there too, eventually.

use chalk?

Not related to OP but I have a question.
I am a 66kg (148 lbs) manlet skeleton and I've been maintaining this weight for 5 months. In that time period bench went from 57kg (128 lbs) 5rm up to 70kg (157 lbs) 5rm.

Is this a decent progress for constantly being on maintenance? I plan to bulk up during this winter.

fucking kek, thank you

no. you should be benching AT LEAST 4hondacivics8 by now.

>tfw lifting for 1 year
>still cant bench 1pl8 for reps

when I started i couldnt even rep the bar. i am filled with hatred and selfloathing whenever i think about how miserable my """"progress"""" has been thus far.

fuck i hate lifting sometimes

You're probably doing it wrong then.

Yes, probably.

5'7". 135lbs. Started two months ago, could only lift bar. Up to 105lbs 5rm now.

Barbell press
Seriously, helps build stabilizers, great for chest and triceps. If you can do barbell around 40-45 lbs you should easily be able to do bench.

what the fuck man

I'm benching 1pl8 for reps and I just started lifting

you're okay man
it took me a LONG time to get really comfortable and confident with benching.

I know. The weird thing is that i have never been especially skinny or fat, just kinda normal looking. As a kid I liked sports, and I did a lot of running and football and stuff.

I have no idea what could have caused me to be so weak...

What were you doing beforehand that helped you bench almost your own BW right at the start?
I guess that's not too bad if you were on maintenance.
For comparison my bench went from 95 to 175 in 5 months and I put on 25 lbs.
The general consensus is that unless you're really fat, you should eat like crazy and put on weight in your first year.

what the fuck man

I'm benching 3pl8 for reps and I just started lifting

WTF man I did couch to 5K and I literally
>Got off couch
>Ran 5K

>What were you doing beforehand that helped you bench almost your own BW right at the start?

I was never in particularly terrible shape for a skeleton (bodyweight excercises here and there, tennis, cycling) so I guess that helped a little.

>For comparison my bench went from 95 to 175 in 5 months and I put on 25 lbs.

I guess bulking up really helps a lot with increasing lifts. Will have to eat like a pig this winter it seems.

watch mark rippetoe's bench video

and the "retract the fucking scapula" video

those helped me a lot, i was stuck at 105 then after that ive gone up to 1pl8 in about 3 weeks (just got 1pl8 yesterday)

Lol bro when I couldn't bench 1 plate I still looked decent
You'll get there soon enough. Just make sure to hop on a good program with a proven progression
I recommend 3dmj's programs

keep tight as fuck

You ever heard of shoulder packing, shoulders down and back at all times, it's really hard to do that wrong on wieghted pushups my favorite btw

I used to run 5k m8 now it's my warm up

I used to run 10k m8 now it's my warm up

I used to run Windows 98 now it's my warmup

nice