What's the #1 mistake you made as a novice?

What's the #1 mistake you made as a novice?

Other urls found in this thread:

powerliftingtowin.com/greyskull-lp/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8v6frDJHc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thinking ss was a meme, and i was clever for avoiding it.

being born
follow by
continuing to breath

I made the mistake of doing ss. Should have never listened to fit

>Anabolic Window meme
>Just east protein
>Workouts consisting of only isolation exercises

Being intimidated by compound lifts and wasting time with machines and isolation a with no plan.

Nice troll

Thinking carbs were the devil and going into drastic caloric deficits.

i started properly with SL 5x5 great gains, my mistake was not eating big and therefore not getting big

Doing SS
Should have sheiko.....

I started lifting to repress my tranny feelings

Dirty bulking

Doing 8 hour arms workout

hello me

Not eating enough

Thinking training was enough to make gains without focusing on diet whatsoever. I actually made decent gains the first year starting from Auschwitz mode without changing my shitty low cal starved nigger diet before I hit a limit.

After losing 50lbs I got lazy and gained 40 of it back

This. I did PPL and plateau'd hard this last month after 10 months, so now I'm doing SS to get some noib gains that I have been missing.

sorry to derail thread, who is this artist? A deviantart page maybe?

> mistake 1) one scoop instead of two scoops
> mistake 2) going to the gym with friends

Neglecting flexibility

>caring about flexibility
Do you even mobility?

Dirty bulking, thinking anything that had protein in it was good, not cutting carbs.

Not paying any attention to form, because obviously compound lifts are too simple to fuck up
>snapcity.jpg

This. I don't think my back will ever be the same.

>Tried squatting the recommended way, knees pointed straight and not going past toes
>snapped some shit up
>started squatting "improperly" based on advice regarding my body type
>feet pointed slightly outward, lower the weight by breaking at the knees first
>suddenly able to do faster and heavier squats without pain

Why didn't anyone tell me?!

Not enough respect for legday.

Now I regularly squat. Fronts from clean rack, rear high bar, overhead, leg press, full rom extensions and curls, calves seated and standing.

Having a dedicated legday gives your upper body time to heal.

Or you could just not go to the gym

>Dirty bulking, thinking anything that had protein in it was good, not cutting carbs.
huh?
60g protein
120 carbs
some fats

Don't be ridiculous

not reacting to whats threatening my health is really the thing. part of me hates what i did to myself but its a blessing knowing i can progress from here

This was me for so long

Not asking somebody to teach me how to properly DL/squat. Ended up going straight to snap city a few years back.

asking the same

fingers crossed he draws hentai aswell

sanyuejiuri

This is me right now. Started out doing PPL and I never wanna change. Fuck SS and Rippletits

stats and current body?

At least do a novice program like gslp
powerliftingtowin.com/greyskull-lp/

T. You fro, the future, trying to help you make gains

why not SL?

I fell for the "exercise helps with depression" meme

>started out PPL
>doing weekly progression as a novice

Lmao why do you tards always do intermediate routines literally designed for people who make 1/3rds the gains as a novice?

You could be making gains 3x a week, instead of 1x

You realize SL is worse than ss right?

The only novice routine worse than SL is ICF

why

I paid too much attention to lifting weights and diet while neglecting things that actually matter in life

1. Too much volume - 5x5 is more than you need to make gains as a noob and as you get to heavier weight it's actually an impediment as you can't recover from it quickly enough.
2. Exercise selection is nonsensical. SS has the exercises it has in the order it has them (and in the order it ADDS them, crucially) for very specific reasons. SL has the exercises it has because it's copying SS and Reg Park without any thought for WHY it uses those exercises. ICF is literally SL with a bunch of 'accessories' added for literally every body part that probably don't contribute anything.
3. SS was created by a guy with over 4 decades experience teaching complete novices of every conceivable age level how to lift, and tracking their results. SL was created by a marketing professional by copying SS without any understanding of why it is the way it is. ICF was created by the saddest sack of shit in the universe (look him up.)

1. you could switch to 3x5 easily if the weight gets too heavy
2. so i shouldnt squat 3x a week or what
3. that guy is fat

Biggest mistake was being too much of a Jew to stump up the cash for a copy of SS, even though it had been recommended to me by multiple sources. Probably set me back more than a few months.

I don't understand this meme of "More exercises + More gym sessions per week = Less Gains"

I go to the gym 6 times per week on my routine. I do compound lifts and a lot of isolations. Am I weak as fuck still? Of course, I've only been at it 4 (almost 5) months. But to me the progress has been really good.

Yes, because of the frequency and isolations maybe I can't go as hard on the bench as I could, but at the same time I think doing stuff like flys and dumbell press has been really great for my chest development. I hit every muscle group twice per week. I take a rest day in the middle.

So what's the issue? How is this slowing my progress down?

I'm bulking btw.

doing SS

once i started doing legs only once a week, i began enjoying going to the gym

Not going consistently enough. I still have that problem.

>I'm bulking btw.
why would you tell us that?
why are you going 6 times a week? with 1 rest day?

1. Then you aren't doing SL anymore.
2. No.
3. More than that.

this

after 2 weeks i went on thursday
might just go tomorrow on sunday for the first time ever

That's what an effective Push/Pull/Legs routine is to my understanding. Here's what my routine looks like.

Sun- Push
Monday- Legs
Tuesday- Pull
Wednesday- Rest
Thursday- Push
Friday- Legs
Saturday- Pull

On leg days and Wednesday I also do core work (planks, leglifts etc.)

And I mentioned bulking to clearly state what my goals are, which is building muscle, not so much lifting weight. I can't get proper feedback if I don't tell you what I'm trying to accomplish right?

1. so?
2. why not?
3. if he'd cut would he look good too?

I guaruntee you 4 months progress on ss and you would have seen 3x the gains.

You really should not be weak as fuck after 6 months lifting. By then you should ohp 1pl8 for AT LEAST 3 reps.

First understand muscles dont grow when you train. They grow when they recover from training.

If you train so frequently as to accumulate muscle fatigue, you will be too weak to lift enough weight enough times to progressively overload the muscle. Not progressively oberloading the muscle means not stimulating muscle growth (no matter how hard you feel like you train).

Doing 3x8 babbyweight isolations will not progressively overload the muscle at nearly the rate going from a 1pl8 to a 2pl8 bench will.

Not eating enough and not worrying enough about proper form and stretching. At one point my pecs were so tight I couldn't lift my arms over my head.

I don't know why I punished myself for so long before doing this as well.

>Doing 3x8 babbyweight isolations will not progressively overload the muscle at nearly the rate going from a 1pl8 to a 2pl8 bench will.
this

all those fags going
>i can curl 20kg dumbbells
can't ohp 30kg for reps at all

getting way more protein inside me than i need

went from 150g
to 60g

and i could actually enjoy shitting again

Also, 6 days a week, but only hitting the muscle groups 2x a week.

If you did fullbody 3x a week you would
-have more recovery days, and thus more strength and growth
-train all muscle groups 3x a week. Stimulating more weekly growth

Trust me, your progressive overload will be near maximized if you are adding 5lb to all your lifts every training session.

20kg curls is pretty fucking solid kek
i sometimes do 14kg hammer db curls and my arms are okay

m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl8v6frDJHc
Just some follow up info.

Also, remember rep ranges are a meme

Making my own routine while having zero knowledge about training or anatomy.

I literally never isolate arms, and do 225lb chin ups (@170lb bw) for 5 and my arms are more than ok

i started out doing
>curls
>ohp
>lateral raises
>rows
>abwheel
at home
had some pretty nice pump gains for a month
but not many strength gains

I thought the advantage of PPL was that on "pull days" you're resting muscles used on "push days" and on Leg Days you're resting both Push and Pull?

ending my cut too soon

you should cut till 10% then bulk

>tfw I never do leg day even 3 years after starting gym

You cant really build muscle without building strength without roids

E.g. The fastest way to a big chest is benching 2pl8x10

The fastest way to get there is train for strength to get 2pl8x5, then do volume training for a while as your chest explodes with muscle

Correct.
This is very useful for INTERMEDIATE lifters who need WEEKLY progression.

It is not designed for novice lifters.

Greyskull is.

So where do I go from here?

See

No harm done though ?

no harm, but I didnt reach my goal (getting shredded)

on the bright side, bulking is never a bad idea if you get stronger, but ultimately I want to be strong but cut, not strongfat.

by "gains," these retards just mean how much you lift. and yes, you would increase how much you lift significantly more on an LP

there's a 100% chance of you looking better in 5 months than the average SS retard in a year though.

this is patently wrong

stop feeding this misinformation to newbies you fucking idiots

hopped on a brosplit immidietly and trained like i was on roids

Feels bad man. For your back though honestly try a chiropractor

not eating healthy
not eating enough healthy food
not training hard enough
not lifting with proper form
not sleeping enough

>progressiely overloading the muscle with high weight is not objectively the best way to grow muscle as a natural lifter

Hi there DYEL who has lifted for a month or less

Yeah, that's what's confusing me. Like my physique is improving and I feel stronger almost every week I hit the gym. Maybe I should modify my program to include more rest?

I mean it kinda cancels out right? I could probably bench way more if all I did was bench, but I'm doing three chest exercises a week so it all takes a toll, in addition to my other isolations.

It seems to me it's like going from 3x10 to 5x5 and claiming your bench went up. Well no shit, you're doing less reps, so you're putting less stress on your muscles.

Also I'm 5'8" so I'm fairly skeptical of a program that insists I need to eat 4,000-6,000 calories in order to build mass. I eat 3,000 a day and I walk 20 miles a week and I'm still making gains.

Post body, DYEL

You arent going to achieve progressive overload doing 3x8 babbyweight

wasted time stretching and foam rolling when the problem was bad form, not vice versa.

and

didnt count macros - ate too much fat and not enough carbs or protein. didnt spread the macros in a reasonable way throughout the day

I should clarify I'm doing three chest exercises TWICE a week.

Bro splits for the first year and a half or so

You made the first claim, shouldn't you post your body first?

For sure ignore mark's nutritional advice.

It is targeted ad underweight skellies who claim to eat 3,000 kcal, but in reality are eating 1,700

Not retracting my motherfucking scapula. I was benching like a motherfucking noob. Tore my fucking rotator cuff in the process.

Me2

not realizing nutrition is as important as training

I used to lift but not pay attention to calories/macros, big mistake

it's all about volume, which a PPL or an UL split has way more than a shit 3x5, compounds only routine.

HOW MUCH you lift has no impact on your physique, as long as the weight you're doing is a lot to your body in its current state.

bodybuilders are universally weak and have always been. stop feeding people misinformation you fucking idiot.

Only after the invention of steroids, have bbers been weak.

Natural bbers are still strong, from eric helms to omar isuf to kinobody

>kinobody
>natural

I'm pretty sure he's on roids but who am I to say?

>6 months
>By then you should ohp 1pl8 for AT LEAST 3 reps.
troll/10

Here you go. 6 months of noob gains from greyskull. I am still fat (18%bf) but skinniest I have ever been in my entire life.

Formerly obese. was 190 when I started liftin am 170 currently

Your turn dyel

(You)r turn

>Only after the invention of steroids
lol

>tries to prove greyskull by listing weightloss
>Doesn't list starting lift v. Current lifts.

Mate are you retarded?

You're either a roider or a moron. I suppose you COULD be a roiding moron, which would probably explain why you're so fucking weak.

>6 months
and here we go

you're a FUCKING IDIOT beginner handing out advice and calling other people beginners because you can't stop projecting

LMAO

Derp