No runners thread and I really need some help...

No runners thread and I really need some help. I started running last month and started off fairly slow did 2 days on one off and it went fine for a bit and 2 weeks I got shin splints, ankle pain, and a zapping sensation in my quads. I've been resting for quite a while now and my shin splints went away, the zapping in my quads is very miniscule when I run but my ankle pain is still very prominent I can barely run 50 feet without some serious pain. I don't know if it matters but I have Nike Free Hyperfeels, could it be the shoe that's the problem or what? All I want to do is fucking run, lifting seems pointless without it. I know for many cardio is the worst but for me its the reward after a nice workout like cake for fatties. I'd appreciate any tips, not sure what to do.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you busted yourself doing 2 on 1 off the. You know that that's too much to start off with. Use what hurts until it's completely pain free and start 1 day on 2 off and instead of just running try 2 mins on 30secs off until it doesn't hurt. Then increase the 2 mins to 3 etc until you can do 5/1. From there run the while time. Listen to your body when it comes to running man. I've had 3 lifetimes worth of injuries from the sport. Good luck

Ice what hurts, not use.

>Nike Free Hyperfeels,don't wear that shit, if your ankle hurts it suggests you have a pronation when you run, you need shoes with pronation support, go to a running store and have them check your stride. look up pronation of the foot on youtube if you have questions. those free shoes will fuck your shit up.

I'm running 30min. 4 times a week. Anything more and I die of boredom. How do you beat that boredom plateau?

Half this, half not. Using a damaged muscle increases blood flow which in turn improves recovery. Don't go all out though. Make sure you know it's a MUSCLE injury not a bone/nerve issue. You could fuck yourself over

Just don't be bored.

>new shoes are the answer
recommending motion control shoes when the problem is a structural/muscular one... do you also recommend a back brace if someone rounds his back during a deadlift?

Run outside on sunny days. qts guaranteed

watch this: youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

music or find someone to run with.

i do extra laps just to look at the qt with big ass running in front of me.

she's not even fat.

just a big ass.

god.

>2 days on
>1 day off
No
Beginning runners should always have 1 day in between exercises, you should also not be doing the same style of running back to back, as in one workout should be sprints on x day, another should be long distance, another short distance.
Your foot is probably outside pronounced (pretty common in beginning runners) due to never running in your life. It's caused by you striking the heel more on the outside of your foot than the total mid, which increases possibility of ankle rolling or tearing.
If you can find one of those machines that shows the pressure of how you stand this will help to confirm.
You'll need shoes that help fight against this, if your shoes have a tendency to be more flat and even (nike is horrible about this as even their running shoes are more like basketball shoes, another words get some new shoes) you'll just keep on slightly rolling your ankle and making it worst until you eventually break it.

As for the injury, if you have no localized swelling, purple bruising, etc. Your ankle isn't broken, just sprained.
If you can even stand on your ankle and put weight on it without instantly wincing, it's not broken (broken my left ankle twice).

Take a break, you can do other exercises (elliptical) to meet cardio needs until your sprain heals.

Gonna blog my first time running barefoot yesterday.

I hadn't ran in a while because of shinsplints but decided to give it another go.

I ran for maybe 3 minutes in my shoes before I could feel pain returning to my left leg, I was really annoyed because i'd rested for about a month and thought that would be enough - I love running and wanted to get back to it asap so maybe I was a bit keen.

I'm sure everyone's heard the anecdotal evidence about how running barefoot stops you getting injuries etc but I decided to give it a go. The path i was running began with a fairly gravely surface, before flattening out and finally opening out onto some fields. The gravel was painful, I don't know what I was thinking but next time i'll definitely miss that part of the run, I wasn't really running more hopping about to find a bit which wouldn't tear up my feet. Every other part was great though, the pain in my leg pretty much disappeared and I ran about 2km before stopping because I didn't wanna over do it on my first run back. I sound like a fucking hippie but feeling the ground under your feet when you run (especially on grass) is an experience i'd recommend to everyone.

I got a couple of weird looks from people but no-one really commented on it. After my run I did find I had a bunch of blisters on most of my toes (my midfoot and heel were fine though) which isn't a problem and they'll toughen up if I run barefoot in the future.

Overall 7/10 - Pain in my leg went but I'll have to do further testing to see if it's actually worth doing long term

Become a competitive runner

I wonder how people ran before somebody designed special running shoes maybe it was possible because the shoes are most of the time not the fucking problem shitty form, doing to much to soon in combination with poor mobility from sitting on your ass allday and unconditioned feet and ankles from walking in cushioned shoes all your life are the problems

I recently caught the desire to run like the wind. Problem is I'm fat and have not run in 8 years.

>being cautious started with 2 days per week
>got excited: 4 days per week
>Terrible knee pain
>depressed for 2 days
>decided to "Learn How To RUN"

Some resources that I think are just brilliant
>Look @ the POSE method of running, there are tons of videos/ info online
>read everything by Kelly Starrett: the man is a biomechanics genius
>and we will build statues to him one day
>Jump rope!!!!! daily to:
>strengthen your posterior chain/ feet/ tendons & ligs
>Improve your foot strike mechanics, the landing from jumping rope perfectly translates to the landing for running

the same some tribes don't use shoes today and have very different feet

The body adapts. You babysit your feet all life with comfy and narrow shoes and no shit you are shit after 20+ years. Check the feet in pic.

B is a foot that never wore a shoe his entire life
A is a foot that is most likely like yours

B is much more wider and provides much more stability
A has adapted to a life with shoes on. Something like those Chinese women that constricted their feet to have small feet

Also you stand, walk and run all your life you get pretty good at walking and running. You decide to run after 20 years of sedentary life you gonna have a bad time and a high chance of injury

Your point being?

sry I can't read

Yesterday i participated at my first public run, did 5km in 29min, i was aiming for sub 30. Pretty proud desu. February i was in a detoxclinic because i'm a degenerate addict and there is no way i could have done this if i stayed this filthy piece of shit i was at the time. In rehab atm. Next goal is a 10km run in 8 weeks.

dat bretty good senpai keep up with it and you'll do it in no time

Good going mate, we're all gonna make it

Finished a sub 2 hour half marathon yesterday while being 93 kg fat fucking shit

feels good fämälämä

>checked

Congrats m8, keep up with the good work, you are going to make it senpai.

How do I choose the right running shoes? There are literally hundreds of them...

People here will tell you to take a whole day off to go to a runner store so they can make a 3D model of your foot and prescribe the optimal $200 pair of shoes for your running gaint and pronation.

Don't listen to them, just buy a shoe with minimal padding and a low heel. Cheaper can sometimes be better.

Or fuck it, run barefoot if you live near fields/soft ground

T-thanks.
Minimal padding? I will run mostly on concrete and from what I've googled so far I should go for the opposite...

There's a theory that running with too much padding on your shoes allows you to run incorrectly without discomfort. This is pretty bad because it can cause injuries down the line because it's a lot harder to know where you're going wrong. Minimal padding allows your body to subconsciously correct your form because if you don't - it hurts.

There's been a big barefoot/minimalist running movement in the past 10 or so years, just make sure you're not landing on your heels when you run