Should dead lifting be hurting my lower back?

Been watching the starting strength video on proper form before attempting. Hips are high, bars against the shin, chest up, pulling, etc.

The other day I crushed my lower back some how. Was out for two days on muscle relaxers and anti-inflammatories.

What did I do wrong?

foam roll

sounds like you didn't brace

You're arching your back

>foamrolling your lower back
you are a special kind of retarded

Maybe you just pulled a nerve. Could be a singular event from one bad rep and a bit of strangeness prior to the lift. I got the same shit once from just rolling in my bad the wrong way. Was out for three days. It happens.

who knows, we weren't there.

and no, deadlifting should not hurt your back, especially not as a beginner, but asking us what you did wrong is silly. we have no idea what your deadlift looks like, and anyone attempting to answer your question based on your description is an even bigger retard.

OP here: Come to think of it I did some heavy standing OHP immediately after the DL's. Probably had something to do with it.

YOU'RE BREAKIN' MY HEAHRT, user!

you should post a video or ask someone at the gym to check your form

I had the same thing happen to me and I was out for 5 days on muscle relaxants and aleve.

Doc said I probably pinched a nerve. I diddly'd 295x5x3 the week before and it was easy, so the week after I tried 305x5, thought that was easy, then tried 315x5. On the 4th rep I knew I tweaked my left lumbar and just dropped the bar.

Doc told me if I had actually herniated my disc, I probably wouldn't have been able to walk afterwards. (He also told me that I shouldn't do diddly b/c it's bad for back, but I ignored him).

why 3 working sets for diddly?

Sore, yes. Pain, no.

Well your doctor is a cunt

I have 2 herniated disks, and apart from the lower back pain, I went about my normal life for a few months, until I got it checked

If in doubt, work out your lower core, and do stretches. After ~6 weeks, pain should go away, mostly.

You're still fucked though, unless you get surgery, so you'll have to be careful from now on. EG, I personally don't do deadlifts or squats any more, and do other exercises instead

Check out Alan Thrall's video on deadlifts and body proportion. Your lower back shouldn't have a sharp pain. You're doing it with bad form.

Yes. If you aren't deadlifting by putting pressure in your lower back you're doing it wrong.

However you might have improper form. Remember to snap your back upward through the lift as fast as possible. This should reduce pain.

Best of luck.

I deadlift today and I my lower back was also sore. I think it just suggested that my form is bad. Anyone got some good info on making sure I have good form?

Yes. Hell, I'd say, if it ISN'T hurting you, you're not arching your back enough.

/thread

I hurt my back doing deadlifts a while a go, but I also hurt my lower front ribs somehow. How'd that happen?

not op but what's wrong with rolling erector spinae after a hard day working them

tried googling but all the results are for general spinal low back pain, not lifting soreness

No technique when done properly should hurt your back, and any back pain should be treated as a serious sign that there's something wrong with your form.

bump for answer

Nice bait you double nigger

Literally nothing wrong with foam rolling your erector spinae