Redpill me on melatonin

redpill me on melatonin

Other urls found in this thread:

gwern.net/Melatonin
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23432361
examine.com/supplements/melatonin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I eat up to 20 x 5mg caps a night to make my dreams super cool.

no they're usually white

it's a sleep hormone user
it helps you sleep
eating a 3mg melatonin pill increases melatonin concentrations in the body to 20x the norm so consider smaller doses if you're oversleeping

8pm
pop one
in bed by10

any side effects or negative effects on health?

If you're prone to sleep walking it may induce it

the knowledge that you as a human being will waste literal decades of your life asleep may cause profound existential angst

It isnt a sleep aid, so taking it at "odd" hours to go to sleep will only make your natural seep cycle more out of balance. Take it at the time you would like to consistently go to bed each night then once you start doing so, stop.

It is to get you back on a rhythm of sleep not help you get to sleep cause you took 7 monsters just an hour before you wasnt to go to bed.

Is it addictive? will it make it harder to sleep without it?

not in sensible doses, it's not a benzo or something

>mfw I'm fine with that cause dreams are better than the reality

I find some mornings I'm a little drowsy if I took it the night before

I hope you get cancer

Kinda like caffeine, if its once, your good, but if you use it every night and skip a night you probably will notice it. I only use it if Im jet lagged and only for one night

Same here. Personally it makes me tired the entire day after though but it's worth it if I get to sleep

I take 30mg every night. Helps me fall asleep and stay asleep. I also wake up feeling better. No negative effects yet.

it does absolutly fucking nothing. I took a shitton for a week and it did absolutly fucking nothing.

it can make your dreams very vivid
if you have nightmares a lot that can be bad

Bump

30mg is a hell of a dose.

Melatonin can be hard on kidneys if you make a habit of it.

You might feel groggy getting up in the morning, but within a half hour or so it's fine.

I split a 3mg pill in 4 about 3 times a week when I need some solid sleep, so about 0,75mg. How come you use so much?

0,75 mg 3 times a week*

melatonin will help open your third eye

You become addicted to it otherwise you have shit time going to sleep without it. Takes a week for your levels to go back to normal

>there are people ITT that don't take MT2 tanning injections

If you take too much.
I don't know what you're saying, but you're wrong.
You're taking too much.
Really only happens if you take too much.
Wrong.
It's not meant to knock you out, bucko.
That's funny.
You're probably the only person in this thread doing melatonin in a way that resembles "right". Congratulations.

Everybody. Please read this. It is le ultimate le red pill article on melatonin.

gwern.net/Melatonin

I personally take 500μg every night (splitting a 1mg pill in half on the break line).

Tl;dr, melatonin is not about putting you to sleep. It's about ingraining a healthy circadian rhythm (that may be put out of rhythm with our modern liftstyle that includes bright blue lights everywhere all hours of the day) and improving sleep quality/efficiency, so that you effectively have to sleep less for the same effect.

Doesn't your brain naturally produce enough melatonin? It could, but it likely isn't. Spending all night watching Netflix and browsing Veeky Forums is beaming bright blue light into our eyes that is inhibiting melatonin production in the brain. The solution? Take PHYSIOLOGICAL doses of melatonin at night, and if you can, reduce blue light exposure. Rubylith glasses are awesome, I do need to get myself a pair.

There are no sad times asleep, only dreams

>implying dreams arent always sad because either they are sad or they are things that will never actually happen

High melatonin levels are linked with diabetes, this was in a recent study.

Get tryptophan instead.
There's a reason why it's slow converting it into melatonin and serotonin.

Melatonin gives me priapism sometimes.

Takes around four hours for my boner to go away. Can be VERY awkward if you have work that day.

Your body makes less of it, just as it would make less test if you inject yourself with test.

If you want actual healthy sleep for long periods of time, go without it. But if you NEED to sleep for something important the next day, they may save you a bit if you are willing to wait a couple of days to get your own body production back to normal again.

nice broscience

look it up.

there is NO negative feedback loop where increased melatonin levels in the blood inhibit production.

no biological mechanism. thus it doesn't happen lad.

eternal bleeding

Underrated post

Get sublingual tablets, 1-3mg is more than enough.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23432361

What I said before was perhaps based on hearsay, but going a bit deeper into the lore, it doesnt seem like its very beneficial in the long term.

so ugh yea, seems like the general conclusion of mine is still mostly right. Short term usage.

There's a lot of things I can pick out from this study.
>it's one study
>doses used were too high
>not in healthy adults (used in unhealthy people, other things cold be interfering with the results significantly, perhaps the treatment for their illness is causing this stuff, or their illness itself is progressing causing problems)
>"The high drop-out rate limits the strength of our conclusions."

There may be more.

Its not the only study

examine.com/supplements/melatonin

Though to be honest, I am too lazy to reach a conclusion on melatonin for today, ironically I feel rather like going to bed.