Does anyone on Veeky Forums box?

Does anyone on Veeky Forums box?
How long have you cunts been boxing?
How to tell if a gym is legit?
Is there still a retarded myth that boxers don't lift?

Lifting for strength does slow your punch speed down.

This effect is reversible, without a loss of strength.

Mostly through ballistic work and upper body plyometrics.... But that is only after you have achieved your desired strength level.

Only takes about 2-3 weeks of plyo type shit to get speed back.

Kickboxing is more fun

This guy is a world-class boxer, although he never has time to actually do any commercial fights, so no one ever hears about his immense skill in the sport

Sounds like a bunch of bro science. Maybe if you do curls all day.
If you train lifts that are explosive by nature (instant maximum muscle fiber recruitment) such as deadlifts or push presses, I don't see how it would effect punch speed negatively. Most if not all good boxers do weight training, especially heavyweights.
If you train to gain strength (more weight on the bar) on those exercises, how would it negatively effect your punch speed?

there's no myth that boxers don't lift, there's a truth that good boxers don't post bullshit like 'Gaaainnz" on their twitter while they spend 17 hours a day lifting a weight a few feet from where it was a second ago.
I mean i'm not a professional boxer, but there's very few times where you win fights by repetitively lifting your opponent

I know it aounds like bro science, but it is the M.O. Of most profrssional trainers.

Firas zahabi explained to me like this.

As you bench press, your biceps engage to work against your tricep, stabilizing it, and giving it a stable base to "push" off of.

So in exactly the same way, when you squat, your quads and hamstrings are working against each other, slowing them down.

This happens even if you bench and squat explosively.

The only lifts that are considered an exception to this are oly lifts, which literally every fiter should do.

And like i say, it is 10000% reversible with no loss of strength gains, just do ballistic and plyo shit for a couple weeks before stepping in the ring and you are good.

yes, all good boxers weight train, but they don't don't only weight train. not even mostly. some big huge fucker who only lifts and nothing else could look big, but would be useless in most fights against people who train to fight.

Not trying to be a cunt.But I never see people back their claims.
This don't see how lifting weights would slow you down.More muscle =more force right?

Go to literally any high level coach, and as them if powerlifting or strength training slows punching speed.

Anyone with years of experience working with fighters will tell you it does, and that you can fix it by developing explosivity over the course of 5-6 training sessions

>some big huge fucker who only lifts and nothing else could look big, but would be useless in most fights against people who train to fight.
Only because of a lack of experience rather than a lack of strengh

Exactly.

If you take a complete dyel with no fighting experience, vs a roidmonster with no fighting experience...

I am putting my money on the roidmonster

Absolutely, that's not even a matter of discussion

I don't mean "strong powerlifter" vs "trained martial artist", think of "trained martial artist" vs "stronger trained martial artist"
Ok I see that sounds more like a specificity issue.

But if you punch, you need to pull back your arms fast as well, so wouldn't the stabilizing work be beneficial?

No, because the biceps only engage for the duration that triceps are extending the arm, you would have to send another signal to retract the arm, which if you do things like heavy rows or pull ups, will engage the triceps to slow down the retraction of the arm.

I don't think you lose that much speed when you do powerlifting/strengh training along with a lot of boxing. You'd only lose speed if powerlifting was you main focus which is far from a professional fighter's goal

Fight coaches.
Training fighters to fight.
Will do powerlifting to build a strength base.

Then explosivity work to develop speed.

Even if their focus from the getgo was 100% fighting.

You dont lose """"that much"""" speed, sure. But you lose your edge, and dont utilize your potential

No reason not to do explosivity work, imo

There are weight classes for a reason

>mfw some nonfighting fag always brings this up as if we arent already aware
>mfw this fag is almost always 45% bodyfat and has a lower FFMI than most lightweights

Ofc we're talking about people in the same weight class faggot

Boxer here.

This user is totally right.

Basically, it's the difference in snapping your punches and pushing your punches. Or to use a baseball analogy, it's like saying weightlifting will help you throw faster, so you should try and gain as much muscle mass to throw faster.

It's a different muscle movement that uses a snap to generate speed and the power comes from the last inch of your punch when you tighten your fist. Also, you ground your weight, so the power doesn't come from your arms, it comes from your legs and core.

If they do any kind of lifting it's for explosive strength, like burpess

im not a boxer but seems like boxers and muay thai do high rep versions of lifting.

i was at a muay thai place and basically do versions of situps forever ; 1,000 kicks,

mike tyson did variations of lifting but high reps.

the issue changes a bit with the UFC because in grappling it is always better to be stronger. so lifting does help.

so real fighting i think would require lifting to a certain baseline of strength then practice technique and then enormous focus on cardio

Not boxing but I do kickboxing senpai. Lifting does stiffen your legs up but nothing good stretching can't fix

ive been doing boxing since I was young and MMA since I was a teen. this is the truth. I was like 140 wet in my younger days and the more muscle I've packed on the slower I've gotten. I don't train as much MMA as I used to, but you can get it back. Definitely does slow you down a lot. In Wrestling too, or any explosive movement.

to take the broscience out of it, if I were to take a guess, the increased muscle probably increases the volume of ATP needed for explosive movement because there is now more muscle to activate. how fast your body can metabolize carbohydrates and explode using ATP is something you need to train for. If your body was used to doing this at 150 vs 180 there's going to be a huge difference

This is why cardio is so important for anyone who is lifting and trying to remain functionally athletic

Thanks for clarifying that. I'm 21 and wanna start boxing one day but right now I focus on strength and explosiveness. There is a heavy bag in my gym so I reckon I could train throwing punches etc on it before I have enough money to join a real boxing gym.

Cheers

Yes, endurance training and conditioning is 99% of mma training.

That beong said, you should have a strength base to work with.

Start by training form, then train strength, then focus on endurance and explosivity.

Explosivity should be the final concern, as it takes the least amount of training to fully develop.

Endurance should be the main focus.

But only after you have a strength base.

Squat deeper.
For sure use the heavy bag for cardio.

But follow a novice program, like ss or greyskull

Oh I'm way beyond novice, more intermediate so don't worry about the routine. I know how to lift I just want to learn more about boxing.

>How to tell if a gym is legit?
if its put out fighters its a good indication, if nobody has been in an actual boxing match chances are its going to be a bit shit

I'd resist believing any on here who calls themselves a boxer, but here I am doing exactly that. I've been boxing since childhood and I'm currently an amatuer.

You can usually tell a guy is legit if you find the address online, show up to see that the windows are boarded up and that the building is clearly condemned. Loon for a note near the front door that says they've moved. Go to that address and it should be just on the edge of the city, in the basement unit of a building. At least that describes my current gym. No AC either, but it doesn't bother me.

Honestly, just look to see if they actually train fighters as opposed to just holding "boxercise" classes.

>boxers lifting
Depends on your goal. Different coaches have different programs. Just listen to your coach.