So, what do you train in?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=05KmoRXkkzE
youtu.be/VJd9gvUL4G4?t=88
youtube.com/watch?v=qLChCOxi_T8
youtube.com/watch?v=kjFp1R5klo4
youtube.com/watch?v=AX6wCK9Q1e8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BJJ (purple belt), joined an MMA gym a little over a year ago, had my first fight and won by DQ lel.

Wrestling, BJJ, Boxing, and Muay Thai together for five years now(basically the best parts from them, like MMA). being able to fuck 99% of people up is pretty cool but I've only gotten into two altercations with anyone. I'm in university and guys can be idiots sometimes. A was talking to a girl at a party(fucking all STEM students, mind you) and these four drunk guys had some weird rumor they heard that I fucked their friends girlfriend or something ridiculous, and they basically attacked me on the spot. long story short, I kicked the shit out of the two confident ones and the other two backed off because they saw that I actually knew how to fight. I didn't get into any trouble, everyone that saw told loads of people and now everyone in our college thinks i'm some ex navy seal or some shit. I'll admit, it was fucking awesome and lots of girls are oddly more into me now and guys ask if I can teach them shit, but scary in a way that's hard to describe. it also turns out that there actually was some guy that was fucking their friends girlfriend and he just looked like me. what a fucking joke.

the only other time was just some faggot trying to look cool in front of his girlfriend picking a fight with me because I'm not the smallest guy in the room (even though I'm only 5'10 165 lbs kek, physics students are typically short tiny asians and other DYEL white guys so I'm actually a good size in my class compared to everyone else) and I just dropped him to the ground, pinned him, and twisted his arm until he gave up. this shit, every guy should know. I'm infinitely confident in any sort of physical confrontation and socially, I'm just more confident.

Been wanting to get into Boxing. No idea how to even get started other than I need a shit ton of stamina. In the middle of bum-fuck nowhere as well so no active boxing gyms near me unless I want to drive 2 hours.

Formerly shito-ryu from ages 5-16
Dropped out because ufc was gaining popularity, and i felt like it was too much bullshit-fu

Dabbled in krav maga for a couple weeks.
Realized it is a joke.
Started kickboxing and bjj age 18

Now i train """mma"""

You can self teach yourself a bit.

But you really need sparring with a partner who is better than you if you want to git gud fast.

4 years of kickboxing and then 3 years of boxing here desu.

Also did some Kali on the side for a bit of something different.

I don't train in anything yet. I work min-wage job and live with my dad in 615.

What's best for learning how to fight for cheap. Alternately, which has the most phat booty cuties

I dont even get it how the pipebomb is going to win a fight for you. What are you going to do? Take out your lighter in the heat of the moment and then toss it at a person who might be up in your face?

kickboxing

Wanted to do kyokushin but I can't stand doing kata etc

>BJJ (purple belt)
how are you coping with injuries?
I was trying to get into BJJ but I was getting hurt quite frequently (mainly joints).

Boxing

Stay away from eastern shit; (excluding muay thai).

Stuff like karate and Wing chun are just meme martial arts for weeaboo faggots who don't want to fight.

As a rule of thumb if it's a full contact sport you can trust it works. Boxing, MMA, muay thai.

Stay away from new age shit like Krav Maga too.

Do you do proper stretching and warming up? If you're getting injured frequently it could be something with your joints or your rolling partners are shit. I mean the occasional injury is inevitable but they shouldn't be frequent.

Also, when you do get injured, don't try being the big guy 4 u and disregard it. Take proper care of it, take your time to recover, do some physio if needed etc.

I've never done any sport before but I'm okay-ish. It's gonna suck at first, but there is a boxing gym near my house...

Kyokushin karate is BAREHANDED and FULLCONTACT

I'm a skelly

should I wait until I put on some mass before learning kickboxing? there's a kb gym at the end of my road

Take up boxing.

Heres the thing Bruv. If you want to learn how to swim, you gotta get in the water. If you want to learn how to fight, you gotta get punched.

Get down the gym, put the work in and get yourself sparring. A year worth of punching a bag/padwork is nothing without sparring.

I'd go as far as to say a year of sparring with no other training would beat anyone who did a year of technique/bagwork without sparring.

I was a total pussy when I was 18, I'm 27 this year and I've spent the last 7 - 8 years in boxing/kickboxing/mma. Martial arts have given me more than I could of ever expected, it made me into a man and gave me confidence.

And theres been hard times in life when I've had nothing left, when I've lost my girlfriend, or my job, or my friends, or when EVERYTHING has crumbled and I feel like complete shit. And martial arts training is always there for me, everytime I've gone to a dark place it's been martial arts I've fell back onto to keep me sane.

New years eve my girlfriend decided I wasn't good enough for her. I spent the next 3 months obsessed with boxing, training hard 5 - 6 days a week. I had no social life, I felt no pain and I trained HARD. It was a time when the old me would of been emotionally destroyed and would of abused drugs/drink to numb my emotional pain. Instead I worked hard and won my fight. If you throw yourself into boxing it'll be your best friend. I don't ever see a time when I won't be training. Martial arts has been the only constant in my life that hasn't let me down.

But only to the body.

That being said, Kyokushin is one of the few eastern arts I would say is worth doing.

Apologies if I insulted kyokushin.

No man just get in there. You'll develop strength through circuit training if your gym is worth its shit. I remember when I first stepped into a boxing gym I couldn't manage more than one press up. It was humiliating. Years and years later and they're easy peasy.

I want to be able to quickly dispatch of any incoming threat. I know to surrender if I'm facing a gun, run if I'm facing a knife or multiple opponents. Other than that I'm not above playing dirty, attacking first and attacking for a certain take down, even if it means permanent damage and going for vulnerable spots, albeit I would prefer to avoid it.

What martial art would you advise?

i'm you can watch some videos and get a good intro to anything that isn't directly striking, basically. you HAVE to do sparring or else you won't know what you're doing and never be confident. I don't recommend starting with boxing. Wrestling was what I started with just because it was in middle school and high school growing up. Grappling is a good introduction, I think. If all you know is boxing and you let a guy that knows how to wrestle or BJJ get hold of you, which he could do very easily as you train to grab someone as quickly as possible via shooting and such(like a quarter of a second from six feet away), you will lose 99/100 times. He'll manhandle you and your punches and footwork will become totally useless. If all you knew was boxing, all it would take IRL is me to shoot on you and then I could easily pin you via a chokehold in some fashion, and that's it for you if I wanted to kill you or whatever reason it is that we're fighting. Boxing for the god-tier footwork and punching, Muay Thai for god-tier kicking, elbow, and knee attacks, wrestling for the god-tier grappling, and BJJ for the god-tier ground work. This is why I learned all of these things.

watch this and you can see how quickly you go from okay to totally fucked if you had to fight a wrestler and only knew boxing. A punch isn't a guaranteed knockout or anything, whereas a wrestler getting hold of you is basically game over if you're not also skilled grappling, easy choke, arm breaking, whatever they wanted to do to you.
youtube.com/watch?v=05KmoRXkkzE

I also agree with these. KM is a total joke for the most part, same with SAMBO, Ninjutsu and all of these military things that aren't relevant to a citizen.

>all my opinions in this post

I think my warmup was ok, probably a mix between being a bit too reckless, unexperienced and rolling from time to time with that romanian blue belt who liked doing edgy stuff and nearly broke my sternum with a knee on sternum.
But anyway, getting at least a blue belt in BJJ is something I want to do besides learning some boxing, I might get back to it in a couple of years.
Which school are you at? Doing any high tech 10 planet stuff? (yes, JRE memer here)

reckon these prices are reasonable? I'm already paying £20 a month for the gym

Rubber guard and shit like that is only applicable if you are a bjj plaayer fighting another bjj player.

If it could really shut down ground and pound as eddie proclaims, it would be used in the ufc.

What happened that one time eddie was in a ufc guy's corner?
He kept trying bjj only techniques (i.e. Half guard) and got his shit stomped in (literally stepped out of guard then ground and pounded)

10th planet is the bullshit-fu of jiu jitsu

Are you sure you're not thinking of systema? Sambo is literally russian flavoured mma
youtu.be/VJd9gvUL4G4?t=88

About as overpriced as everywhere else.

More stories like this please. Shit is actually motivating as fuck.

Krav Maga. It shits all over the wannabe martial arts that are for show off only.

Yea tell the romanian to fuck off, save your body for tournaments if you're into competing.

I train at GF Team London, so I get to do no gi but never trained in 10th planet even though there's a gym here.

Kickboxed/muay thai for 2 years, just had a 2 year lay off

just started kickboxing again tonight in a new gym, was full of hotties but was more like a boxercise class so not for me (may go back for the tits)

Going to a wrestling/grappling class tomorrow for the lulz

Cool LARP, goyim

jolly good, maybe I'll have a punt then

*grabs you're pistol and dismantels it in front of your face*

heh... maybe you should lern how 2 use your dad's toys b4 u play with them little boy

I want to try self-teaching Judo with a friend, what do you think?

isn't goyim a good person to learn from? since they pretty much beat up brown people, daily?

Goyim are non-jews you retard.

Aside from which they get shanked by teenage girls despite their 2dedly faggotry.

Well, when you're fighting idiots in university like this, you can't be lethal. When I twisted that guys arm, I was doing it because I knew he'd give up before letting me break his fucking arm or do any serious damage. He already figured out that I was actually skilled in fighting than he was by the fact that I had his ass on the ground before he knew what hit him and I had control without breaking a sweat. Doing what is saying and learn something "deadly" is just a pointless endeavor. Life isn't a movie and you're not some action star. I could easily disarm and kill someone with what I know, any thugs with knives or whatever. KM basically a militaristic system that is for the IDF. You don't need to know how to kick the shit out of people with an unloaded M16, so why learn KM?

Did kickboxing religiously for 2 years, won 6-0 for amateur fights, now am purely a lifter who has no cardio left after almost 3 years of quitting kickboxing and doing absolutely 0 cardio in that time.

Was wondering what martial art benefits most from being big and strong? I've been wanting to do boxing, but kinda reluctant to get back into striking sports, but wouldn't rule it out completely

Any suggestions?

All and none.

Look into grappling if you want something new. bjj, judo or wrestling.

Being big doesn't benefit you at all in anything that isn't grappling. The average guy that knows how to fight well is like this user. anywhere from 145lbs to maybe 175lbs at that height. definitely not some bulky huge body-builder or fat ass power lifter type. definitely more lean.

If you want to learn Krav Maga look for jewish ancestry in your family, apply for Israeli citizenship and join the IDF

Otherwise the classes are going to be run by / full of dorks.

And if you want to learn to fight, then you should probably do a number of martial arts. A bit of grappling (BJJ), a bit of throwing (Judo), and striking (muay thai). You have to compose your self-defence plan for yourself based on what you are good at and are comfortable doing, rather than be handed down a set instruction.

If you want to learn krabby magoo, slap yourself and realise that unarmed combat is not a high priority for ARMED forces and generally consist of a 3 month crash course of a few days a week.

>armed forces training to fight against other armed forces aren't going to prepare soldiers who end up in catastrophic / captive situations to defend against armed enemies

>he thinks an unarmed individual is capable of defending himself against an armed group trained in use of said armaments
Top fucking kek. Go watch rambo a few more times, champ.

oh and forgot to add. Don't get too cocky or push yourself beyond your skills. Learned it the hard way when I realized being a purple belt doesn't make me invincible.

If you live in a country that doesn't allow guns, running is probably still the best option in many situations.

>running is probably still the best option in many situations.
Not living in a shithole where ever having to defend is a realistic scenario is the best option.

Such a place doesn't exist and never has.

Sports BJJ is so retardedly meta that it even makes BJJ community question its validity.

I mean consider Donkey Guard shitstorm happening right now.
> youtube.com/watch?v=qLChCOxi_T8

I do understand that a lot of BJJ moves were invented specifically for beating other BJJ players in BJJ rules environment.

Ouch... did you attempt to pull guard against an armed attacker user?

I live in Tokyo. I can (and do) happily walk through back alleys in kabukicho (the home of the yakuza) without the slightest concern.

was outnumbered 3vs1, would probably be dead if one of them was armed tbqh

That doesn't mean that it's totally safe. Any wacko could be anywhere at anytime.

Ah yeah, trying to use BJJ against multiple attackers never ends up pretty.

>same with SAMBO
SAMBO is a martial art, not an army art. It has both grappling and striking and international comeptitions. It is better than MMA because of the Gi.

>taking on 3 guys
>only knowing BJJ

lmao come on user that's retarded

Story

> being this paranoid
Do you also carry a grounding wire at all times in case you're struck by lightning?

you're arguing that you don't need to know how to fight if the area you live in, you feel, is safe enough. That's silly.

Did Kenpo when I was young. Looking to get back to training, but a different style. Thinking something less formal, either MMA or Krav Maga. Maybe Kali Sikaran. Anyone have any recommendations? I prefer something with lots of practical use, lots of sparring, and not learning what techniqies are called in Japaneese and saluting people and wearing kimonos.

>wants to actually learn how to fight
>wants something with lots of sparring
>wants something practical
>"Krav Maga. Maybe Kai"

for fucks sake please be a troll

Yeah that's why I asked for advice. I know what the people at the training centres are saying, but I'm not gonna believe their sales-pitch. Same with show-off vids on youtube. I wanna know what those things are actually like, and what I should pick if I want to actually learn how to fight for real without having to call some nigger "sensei" or whatever the fuck weeaboos say.

I made the brilliant idea of whiteknighting some drunk hipster on a night bus who was being picked on by 3 gentlemen of an ethnic extraction.
They talked shit at me but didn't get physical and that point I felt like a hero kek but it turns out they didn't do anything because buses have cctv so instead they just got out on my stop and jumped me. Got my arm broken while I was on the floor getting stomped.

I should've let the drunk guy have it, they weren't picking on me so it was really his problem he couldn't stand up for himself.

Japan has murder rate of 3.97/100000. There is a 1 in 3000 chance of being struck by lightning in your life time

I am significantly more likely to be struck by lightning than be in a self-defense situation.

For reference America is 42/100000.

see my opinion at i'm so you know what i know and have done.

oh well user. I'm in the USA so you know why I'm so paranoid.

>not millitary krav maga in it

that shit is where the real dope is. krav maga is for faggots and millitary krav maga is where they teach you the real shit.

Cool. Would doing MMA give a good intro to all those things, or should I do them each? Where to start?

Any way to learn that outside the IDF?

>who was being picked on by 3 gentlemen of an ethnic extraction.
oh, London, and that smell of multiculturalism...
I for one salute you for standing up against the nogs mugging random people, wish people would have the balls more often. I hope I'll if the time comes, that's why I'm thinking into boxing.

Hey terminator, would learning "boxing" leave truly huge gaps in my game for self defense until I master some grappling? A nearby gym offers "MMA" classes.. would that be a wiser choice?

Thus we return to dont like in a shithole jitsu being the premier self-defense style.

Protip: it's the exact same thing. Military combatives are just shit.

> 2016
> people still falling for propaganda

what is the best martial art if you want to fight for Israel?

B-but muh seven seal tearing out one's wind pipe move.

Sniper/mortar/artillery/etc. training.

Aikido

Why the fuck are 90% of martial arts asian?
I want to go be shoalin where everyday is either spiritual or physical training, but I'm white.

jew jitsu tbqh familiar

Luckily for you the shaolin temple is literally a tourist trap catering to sinoboo faggots. Kung fu is a performance art m8.

If you pay enough I'm sure you can go and larp in the mountains with them.
There are heaps of non asian fight styles btw, and generally they are more effective.

MMA is just knowing at least a few different styles, which is the best way to go. No one style is the best in every area.

pic related. if you knew this like I do, you would be able to handle any situation without problems. keep in mind that I'm a brown belt in BJJ(not that hard to do desu, simply takes about 5 years), wrestled all throughout middle school and high school, and learned boxing and Muay Thai at the same time. and yes this cost me some dosh, but I'll never forget any of it even if I stop all of it.

>MMA classes
Fuck that shit. Learn how to grapple. IMO If you can't grapple and get control of someone, don't bother fighting anyone because if shit gets real, you won't be able to defend yourself. Wrestling is all about control, and it's just more useful(FOR 1VS1 FIGHTS). In a street fight where you are being attacked by multiple people, then boxing isn't the worst idea, but it's definitely not the best. BJJ is also not the best idea as it's mostly based around being on the ground. If you're going against multiple people, boxing + muay thai is what I'd recommend knowing. Boxing is a much more obvious fighting style. Muay Thai, you have a pretty casual, almost relaxed looking stance because you're in a perfect kicking stance.. it's weird. you stand straight, you don't look like you're really doing anything, and then the guy is on the floor wondering what the fuck just happened. you could never use a muay thai stance in boxing, but you could never use a boxing stance in muay thai. you need just know and use both. footwork and head movement is way, way bigger in boxing, but in an IRL fight, you guys aren't in a fucking boxing ring with a ref or anything so there are no rules. the guy could just kick you in the head from far away. A Muay Thai fighter would beat a boxer if neither of them knew of the others fighting styles. it wouldn't even be a contest.

like i've already said, just learn everything i learned. it covers all of the bases.

also for fun, here is a 2nd degree black belt in BJJ destroying a body builder that's almost twice his size without getting a scratch on him. It gives you an idea of how impressive being skilled in these fighting styles really is.

youtube.com/watch?v=kjFp1R5klo4

it also makes Veeky Forums pretty mad.

>In a street fight where you are being attacked by multiple people
The best fighting style is running actually.

>twice his size

weight, sorry. the BJJ fighter is actually taller kek

all of the moves he uses are very typical of BJJ.

Well, we're not talking about running away. The two altercations I was in were simply kids trying to act tough with me, not trying to mug me or stab me or anything like that, and they both ended within 15 seconds of starting without a scratch on me.

also :^)

The best fighting style is not living in a shithole and nit being a cunt so the situation doesn't arise in the first place.

Much like foam rolling, mobility work and warm up sets, prevention is better than treatment.

holy shit we fucking get it

Been training Shotokan karate for 20 years. Never drank the kool aid, but it is a good way to train stress reaction and conditioning. Did well in full contact competitions against tkd and sport karate practitioners. Still like to do kata at tournaments, but I'm all about grabbing and controlling in an actual situation (veteran bouncer.)

>all of these morons ITT spewing this "muh just run away" meme
hopefully you idiots get into a situation where you have to defend yourself and realize why trying to run away isn't such a simple solution.

You should've called the police

I guess I'm more looking for an intense "you live here and you train here" kind of lifestyle.
I want to wake up, pray, farm, and spar.

> spar
You're out of luck with ching chong dancing then.

Damn doc. Fix my bone

Well that's exactly it.
I don't want ching chong dancing.
I'm just noting that the ching chongs seem to be the only people who even try to have this kind of lifestyle.

anyone has the video where the doc gets rekt in boxing?

This is exactly what high level MMA fighters do man. And yes, that boat has sailed away too.

If you are really into this rural thing I'm sure you can move to the countryside and find a local boxing gym, in your free time you can meditate in your toolshed or something.

>if somebody thinks that running or generally avoiding conflict is the best option they must be unable to fight
hopefully you idiot will have to use your brain some day and you realize making logical leaps like this isn't a solution

>that boat has sailed away too
Please no. Why?
I guess I could join a monastery near a gym.

unless your technique is good enough to win fights for you then it doesnt matter what you practice because in a fight between normal people size and reaction time are the major determining factors

youtube.com/watch?v=AX6wCK9Q1e8

guy who knows muay thai kicks this other guy in the face. happens at about 2:00 and the fight lasts for probably 10 seconds.

the guys stretching his legs out, took his shoes off, looks like he's in his fucking underwear or something kek. this is why muay thai wins in a street fight with a manlet. one short kick to their face that isn't that high off of the ground. couldn't be any easier.

But this is the exact point here man. We are trying to talk about martial arts and self defense and you can't stand but keep spinning around your running meme. If you indeed have some knowledge about fighting then join with some relevant info, otherwise please go and make a /RunningGeneral for your passion.

Well, I suppose you are in the twenties and based on what you're saying it sounds like you hardly have any previous experience with martial arts. Am I right? The same way you can't just become a Formula 1 driver you cannot just into UFC.

who are the fighters in this gif?