>quitting deodorant
>stop using toothpaste when brushing teeth
>only washing hands with soap when theyre especially dirty, otherwise use water
>no shampoo
>stop using acne wash/substitute it for something like african black soap
>intermittent fasting
>protein fasting
>occasional multi-day fasting

These are all things I've been considering recently, after reading Antifragile. I don't want to become an organic vegan hippie or anything, I just want to see if I can reduce harm and simplify things by reducing the amount of chemicals and substances I rely on. If after the initial breakout/smelliness/plaque buildup it goes away, so it's worth it. Also make it clear if you had problems like acne or bad breath or something. Thanks.

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20005209
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21631527
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15799449
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11333184
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16357596
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you dont need to clean your face
lt self regulates wlth ablt of water

and g00d diet 0f course

i stopped using shampoo for about a month. My buddy stopped using it for months. It works alright if your hair isn't that long. It gets really greasy after about a week but after that you have some of the softest hair because your natural oils get regulated by the body. However, after about 2 weeks my hair just got fucking greasy and disgusting again. I tried to wait it out but I had to wash it

People who don't use shampoo usually use baking soda and lemon juice or something to prevent it from getting that greasy. I'm back to using shampoo and conditioner

>>quitting deodorant
Yes I try to use it only when extremly needed
>>stop using toothpaste when brushing teeth
No but I guess you could try it if you floss your teeth
>>only washing hands with soap when theyre especially dirty, otherwise use water
Yes
>>no shampoo
No, but I check if I need shampoo when showering. Squeeze your hair and if they squeak they're clean
>>stop using acne wash/substitute it for something like african black soap
Never used it anyway

I haven't been using shampoo for more than two years now. I just rinse with water. Not much happened, I just got used to it and it's one less thing to do in the shower.

>quitting deodorant
since I shower after exercise and don't sweat much, I barely ever need it
>no shampoo
It's been like 4-5y I wash up with solid soap only, for hair/face/body. Honestly, I can't use shampoo or liquid soap anymore.
>not washing hands with soap, not using toothpaste
that's the line you should not cross

Not familiar with fasting.

>has anyone ever tried being a disgusting filthy smelly bastard?

No, I'm sure no one has tried that before. Ask the fucking bums sleeping in the park how they feel being disgusting.

i didnt use shampoo for a couple of years after i cut my long hair to like 5-7cm(2-2,5 inch) i dont remember it being greasy or something.i washed it with water every 2-3 days. i can recommend it.

>>quitting deodorant
I did 3 month ago, I use backing soda instead and not everyday since I don't smell like I used to. The first few days you quit deodorant you will smell pretty bad tho.
>>stop using toothpaste when brushing teeth
Backing soda again, did not use toothpaste for 2 years now.
>>only washing hands with soap when theyre especially dirty, otherwise use water
I only use natural soap (olive oil and soda crystal)
>>no shampoo
Same soap
>>stop using acne wash/substitute it for something like african black soap
Same soap
>>intermittent fasting
I do like 17-7 IF on a regular basis. But I gained weight since I ate like a pig for two weeks. I lost like 4kg in the first two weeks.
I'm also doing a one meal a day since yesterday
>>protein fasting
Nope
>>occasional multi-day fasting
I never did so far.

BTW your hormonal balance will be grateful

Enjoy pumping yourself with chemicals low test faggot

It's proven that many of the chemicals in cosmetic products increase estrogen

I've done all of those except protein fasting.

I use sodium bicarbonate as a deodorant and only when I really need it, otherwise just shower everyday. And set the water to 100% cold.

Toothpaste is a meme if you eat a high fibre diet and no sugary processed shit.

Washing hands with soap isnt really necessary unless youve touched something bad.

Shampoo is another meme, havent used it in about 3 years.

Stop touching your face, change your bedsheets and dont sleep on your face to get rid of acne

Fasting is great for insulin sensitivity and overall health, highly recommended

Show me the double-blind placebo-controlled studies "proving" cosmetic use increases serum estrogen levels in mammals. And not some random hippie faggot's blog either, actual studies.

I do not use the following:
-Deodorant
-Soap(unless yhey are very dirty after work)
-Toothpaste
-Shampoo

I just started IF today and I am curious to see how it works out, doing the leangains schedule so 8 hours of eating and 16 hours of fasting.

I also try to use the least amount of plastic products as possible, so no canned foods and I have a cleancanteen for water.

>Not the guy btw
The shit you smear on your skin will not be filtered by the liver like the shit you eat.

It is widely known that estrogen is fucking with not only humans but also plant and animals.

Females are getting their periods way earlier than they used to for example.

Cutting out estrogen from your food and environment is just a safe bet.

Here is an example about benzophenone
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20005209

Here is an example about chlorinated pools
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21631527

And now do your own research you fucking lazy fatass

>people on this board are actually retarded enough to become a stinking mess because they think chemicals are always bad

>meanwhile they don't even consume a high quality multi complex because they think they can cover their body's potential of vitamin usage by eating 5 carrots a day

Set your priorities first and then try doing things that are exceptional.

No shit, the vast majority of shit you smear on your skin also doesn't penetrate past the dermis.

Man my girlfriend is such a prick about washing her face. Bitch, my skin is immaculate and I never wash it. Meanwhile yours is all dry and shit.

I'm not bald so not using shampoo isn't an option

Why cold showers?

You are putting your body in a stressfull environment by doing that, wouldnt a most constant environment be most beneficial?

curious what brand you use for your high quality multi complex user

That has absolutely nothing to do with what I asked. What exactly that you wrote proves that cosmetic use increases estrogen levels?

>also doesn't penetrate past the dermis.
I would not wager on that

LifeExtension

Why would you use cosmetics filled with plastics, if you dont need these products ahy use them?

Also 2 seconds on google will find you all the proof you need, but you dont want proof so whatever.

Keep using all those weird soaps and shit, im sure there fine.

Its mostly anecdotal evidence and some of my own broscience that convinced me to take cold showers, however I feel fantastic after taking them.

It does stress your body, but small amounts of stressful stimulus often have beneficial effects e.g exercise, alcohol, fasting, heat exposure

>Parabens are a class of widely used preservatives in cosmetics. You can find them in most skin moisturizers, soaps, shampoos, and of course: sunscreens.

i just looked up some articles about quitting/replacing deodorants, bc of this thread and i will try baking soda. first just the powder and later i am going to mix it with coconut oil

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11333184

just moisten your armpits and rub the bicarbonate.

You made me reconsider cold showers.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16357596

It doesn't talk about the actual effects on the human system at all.

Everything is hypertherotical, no actual observation.

They have absolutely no benefit and everything you could actually feel is placebo.

If you want to shower cold because it makes you feel cool and you are deluded enough to think that it would infuse if you with some kind energy, then cold showers are best for you because you will actually feel that way.

And if you are not, you just enjoy a warm shower and stop thinking about it.

>5 studies
>still denying it

You're wasting my time

I am not denying that there is harming stuff in there.

What I am denying is that they have a meaningful impact on my system that is bad enough that I have to invest time and energy into thinking about a solution.

I stopped drinking water because I didn't want to consume chemicals any more

Thread in a nutshell

I think you should ask the experts over at /r9k/.

>deodorant
tried going without it for a few days, never again. now i use a """natural""" one (no aluminum, etc.) and only use it if i'm going out that day
>soap
yeah i've always done that
>no shampoo
yep. i only use shampoo the day i get a haircut.
>IF
always do it when cutting. it's hard to do when bulking.

I smear random chemicals on my body that no human ever did for the vast majority of humanity's history just because

And people were less healthy then, retard.

KEK

Yea, they are totally random, not researched at all and serve absolutely no purpose, right.

Also, people, that think that we need to evaluate the validity of our actions by comparing them do those of people from hundreds of years ago, are either incredibly stupid is trolling.

You really want to tell me that I shouldn't use shampoo because some cave hogger in Stone Age didn't?
This is logically wrong on so many levels that I can't even write it out here.

Bro, all of these are fine, except the toothpaste one, don't do it nigga

>I don't know how to not swallow something just because it's in my mouth

no dumby i meant toothpaste is the one that he shouldn't stop using

>ugh I don't even

I best Veeky Forums smells like fucking shit

There's no way any of you that don't use shampoo/deodorant have partners

Just my personal experience (so I'll not answer the things I don't know about):

> deodorant
Depends 100% on who you are, but it is better for you to go without. Antiperspirant in particular works by blocking your sweat ducts and it's not that healthy. Be realistic about how smelly of a guy are you are and decide from there.

I don't use it, but I'm not very smelly and I bathe twice a day.

> no toothpaste
Here's my experience as someone with gum disease and whose parents were dental techs: Toothpaste is not necessary, it's only for freshening your breath and whitening your enamel. The important thing is the action of brushing your teeth and gums with the proper technique for about 3 min. The brushing + flossing disturbs the plaque building up. A medium hardness brush with just water is more than sufficient.

> soap
Don't ditch soap, that's the one thing I would advise against. You just don't want to risk getting yourself sick.

> shampoo
Depends on the person and hair type, but my hair goes to shit without.

> acne wash
Very hard to say since everyone's different, but I noticed that my skin was best when I was leaving it alone and only using a mild cleanser on it every day or so. No matter what I used, it seemed like if I used something like an acne wash every day I'd disturb it and end up with more blemishes.

Kys

your mention of the hardness of a brush triggers me.

you should use the soft brand tootbrush, always. the softer the better.

hard brushes are sold because they sell, no health reason, just morons that think a hard brush works better, it doesnt. it just fucks your protective layer.

brush your teeth with soft toothbrushes.

That's why I didn't say hard, but... yeah. I have made that mistake before and tore up my gums, now I have an electric with a med and a soft head.

You are completely correct though.

why even have the medium ?

>white males thinking they can quit deodorant

Only nippons can get away with it. You will just smell bad.

everyone eh?

Protien fasting
It's like you DYEL faggots don't want to make it

Man fit is really just full of neckneards now. I can smell you all through my screen.

Disguisting fucks.

lmao, i had a roomate who was a tinfoil christian fag who did the shit in the OP, he smelled like shit all the time and everytime i would walk by is room i would almost always gag.

>muh chemicals
Kys you disgusting manlets

i stopped using deoderant and my armpits stopped smelling

i stopped using acne washes and my acne cleared up by a lot

I did no shampoo for 3 months or something. Got some weird kind of dandruff that appeared as really small bumps/pimples in my face and took me a while to figure out that it wasn't just regular pimples. Used head and shoulders and the bumps disappeared within a week. Def do not recommend no shampoo. I now use shampoo 1/2 or 1 out of 3 times I shower.

>no deodorant
Enjoy being that weird guy

I used to not use deodorant and shampoo/conditioner. It's mostly about diet, exercise and sunlight. Fasting is fine too, but I don't know why you're associating all these things, you're not going to try doing all of this at once are you OP?

>suppressing pheromones with an unnatural smell

This is just an abstract, not even a full study. Also, did you even read the fucking abstract?

Estrogenic effects on the ERAlpha were only even registered at high concentrations, ERBeta receptors weren't even affected.

Besides, don't fucking act like you sat there and actually read these, much less even understood what they were actually saying.

Try telling modern medicine that washing your hands with soap is bad. Lets see if you're okay with your surgeons just using water before opening up a thoracic cavity.

I love you Veeky Forums but sometimes you guys spout shit as bad as /pol/ in respect to actually knowing what you're talking about.

I only use soap 2 or 3 times a week, no shampoo, and I don't smell bad at all. I can't go a day without deodorant though, I get BO from that which is a little strong.

>aluminum

Soap isn't bad for you.
It is important for sterilization.
You don't need to sterilize yourself multiple times a day, that was a myth pushed by the soap industry. It's not going to do you any harm to do so, though.

>Try telling modern medicine that washing your hands with soap is bad

While it's good for the patient to not get infected with something, it's actually bad for the people in the hospital

>Lets see if you're okay with your surgeons just using water before opening up a thoracic cavity.
>Comparing an everyday person that will not be putting their hands inside of a person's body to a fucking surgeon

Please user

I do literally all of those things but only because I am highly depressed and autistic

I stopped using cetaphil and switched to water only and my skin became less dry, which meant I didn't need to moisturize/ didn't get as oily skin. I still use salicylic acid though so it's not like I went all natural

You're absolutely right, go ahead, double up on your herbal essence shampoos, anti acne creams, crest tooth pastes, and while you're at it, be sure to save money by eating lots of mass produced beef and chicken while drinking delicious hfcs sodas from plastic bottles.

I'm pretty sure toothpaste is pretty important for fighting bacteria in your mouth.

>le bacteria is bad meme

What does that even mean. Bacteria harbors in plaque and other areas of the mouth. You want to get rid of all that shit so you don't get cavities or gum disease.

>quitting deodorant
Not worn it for over 4 years. Don't smell any worse.
I use a natural fluoride free, SLS etc free one that i get from health food shop. Only brush once per day usually. Teeth have gotten stronger than when i was younger and brushed, flossed and mouthwashed twice a day. Probs more due to my better diet containing far more minerals and fat soluble vitamins.
I use shitty normal soap supllied at work as hands get filthy there. At home i only use plain castille soap with no synthetic shit in it. Would recommend dr bronners (inb4 jewish soap)
>no shampoo
I wash hair with soap once every month to every few months. Does not get greasy. Can confirm hair gets lovely texture after while of no shampoo. Will smell though so i wash it occasionly still.
Never used these products. Washing my face with normal castille soap and a flannel cleara acne fine. But most effective is avoiding shitty food like mcdonalds etc. Also pasteurised milk causes it to flare up.
>intermittent fasting
Doing it just now, seem to be getting leaner but we'll see. It is hard to decide what days to do it on to fit in trainibg goals.
>protein fasting
As in a PSMF? Kickstarted my cut with one week of that, and do that on my fast days. Usually feel a bit shitty on days doibg it but allows me more leeway on rest of week

Not done this yet but may try some day.

Is antifragile a good read OP?

of course, over-washing is the second leading cause of creating bacterial resistances. This is a valid argument.

However, I'm required to use hand-sanitizer upon entering and exiting a patient's room. And trust me, if you've seen some of the patients I've had to deal with, you'd want to shower after stepping foot into their room alone.

>American education

Sugar is your problem

>intermittent fasting
I do an 18 hour fast, 6 hour eating window every day. My experience this type of IF is that I've had increased energy, focus, and my skin looks a bit better.

I've used baking soda instead of toothpaste and the benefit I saw with this is that it whitened my teeth. Still used a mouthwash, no change to my breath. My

recommendation for using baking soda is to use a soft bristle toothbrush and don't brush hard, you will strip the enamel off your teeth over time.

>no shampoo
Wasn't a fan of no shampoo I felt like I had a hint of a wild animal or a slight wet dog scent. When I abstained from shampoo my hair initially was super greasy, but after around 2

weeks my hair adjusted and my hair was super soft vs its usual textured feel.

With bodywash same deal, skin was super greasy and adjusted over time. I would say my skin looked its best when I did this. Nowadays depending what I'm doing for the day I'll

only use shampoo and bodywash if I'm going out, other than that I'll just use shampoo and just scrub my body.

Washing hands only when dirty has been pretty normal to me my whole life. I typically use soap if I need to disinfect my hands for cooking and whatever else.

Longest water fast I've done was 72 hours. I do not recommend going beyond 48 hours because 72 was too intense. Same as the 18/6 in the first 24 hours I had a great amount
of energy and increased focused.

Going to 48 hours. I could feel myself slowing down. at around the 36 hour mark I was extremely hungry. Energy was fading, but I felt that I had this laser focus. At this point I couldn't wait to hit the hay because sleeping would get me closer to the end of my fast.

Going to 72 hours. no energy whatsoever, I felt like laying down the whole day. Still felt like I had a laser focus and surprisingly I wasn't that hungry.

What's the story behind this picture?

Every one of those is retarded except the hand washing one. Never wash my hands after taking a piss. All I did was touch my dick not piss all over my hands like an autist

I haven't washed my hair with shampoo in a year. Just cold water if I need to. Honestly? It looks and feels clean.

I use a non-fluoride toothpaste too. Teeth are fine.

I still use body wash and deodorant though.

Antifragile is cool but I'd experiment with a couple of things at a time.

> Quitting deodorant
tried that most of the year it's fine as long as you shower daily. When summer hits, yeah nah.
> No shampoo
Tried that along with no soap (except for hands) didn't see any difference in cleaness. Might try that one again.
> IF / multi-day fasting
I only eat on training days (4 times per week). Highly recommended, easy way to keep your weight down and build your muscles.

I haven't finished antifragile but i love what ive read so far. I've done no shampoo and IF.

IF is now just normal for me, once you adjust it's just far more convenient unless you have some serious physical activity in the AM

No shampoo has had ups and downs for me. You still have to clean the fk out of your hair and massage it to get the natty oils from the scalp to the tip of your hair. Failure to do so regularly gives you shit hair.

Check out gettingstronger.org interesting blog on 'hormetism' very much in the spirit of Antifragile

>does anyone have experience with being a fat greasy neckbeard

Yeah, most of Veeky Forums.

Parabenis

it is a good way to
>become stink y
>have bad breath
>spread disease
>have awful hair
>get zits
>be hungry in the morning
>have an unbalanced diet thats probably lacking in some nutrition

If you want to see how you will end up, go to a bernie rally.

>doesn't understand that all those things are caused by using the associated products irregularly

>didn't put deodorant on in the morning
>not stinking now

D-did I just break the universe???

I mostly stopped using shampoo. I have extremely greasy hair, and for a while it was almost unbearable, however I learned that just giving your hair a really thorough rinse with hot water in the shower leaves your hair relatively grease free, and very soft.

I've got a friend who's hair is amazing, grease free and always looks nice, and he hasn't used shampoo in over 2 years. My hair isn't as nice as his, but it's not so bad.

If I'm going out and I want to look nice though, I use shampoo again.

>using deodorant
>using a product to mask your natural smell with an artificial smell, because the Television told you to do so

Literally the only reason people use deodorant in the first place is because deodorant companies tell us to do so

>quitting deodorant
No, but I heard it works. I sweat like a mongrel though so I prefer to use my antiperspirant. Might also be caused by deodorant use, but whatever. I like how it smells anyway.

Does this actually matter? Toothpaste is just a nice smelling grit to help scrub your teeth. Is there actually "bad" shit in it?

Don't see the logic behind this.

>no shampoo
I'm sure eventually you won't look completely disgusting, but not sure if you ever get to "nice" levels.

>intermittent fasting
Currently doing this. I'm losing weight and it's nice to trade a morning of being hungry for a big meal in the afternoon. Haven't cut using any other method so I can't attest to the effectiveness, but it does work.

>quitting deodorant
Dirty and smelly
Enjoy having fucked-up teeth
Germ-spreader
>no shampoo
Dirty, smelly, oily hair like a homeless person
It's still soap just more expensive
>intermittent fasting
>protein fasting
Tryhard.jpg

Moderation in all things.

Oh and by the way if you really want to 'simplify' things and are so afraid of chemicals, then switch to something like pic related for soap, and use the simpliest shampoo possible, like Baby Shampoo. Most 'soaps' are actually a detergent produced in a chemical factory and they're too harsh, pic related is made the old-fashioned way and is mild.

I'm hopeful that most of this shit is you people trolling and not actually being this autistic.

Otherwise there's an awful lots of dipshits in here who believe hobos are the epitome of hygiene.

>stop things that improve your hygiene and health
Great plan OP. Sounds like you're already an organic vegan hippie. Why not live outside as well? I mean our ancestors did it!