How cheap can a home gym be?

How cheap can a home gym be?

Looking at a rack, weights and so on, it seems to come out around £800 which seems a bit much for a manlet to get some definition.

Any suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

detroit.craigslist.org/okl/spo/5667880272.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm70ekicxSs
t-nation.com/training/tip-do-the-floor-press
t-nation.com/training/master-the-floor-press
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have you ever lifted weights before?
It would be a shame to invest in a home gym and find out you stop lifting after 1 month after going through all the trouble to get the equipment.

I've been lifting for the short period of three months and am wondering about renewing the gym versus home set-up, hence this thread.

I feel like I'd stick to it better at home since my gym buddy might be giving up going soon.

Craigslist, my good man.

Resolutioners dumping their equipment on the cheap right now.

i got mine for 600 pounds. but it was on offer.

if you plan on doing lifting for years then its worth the investment, no waiting in line, no one fucks with your shit and no need to travel.

it will pay itself off after a few years.

I've tried my local listings but it's surprisingly empty.

What did you buy and would you recommend it?

No rack, no bench. Shockingly decent oly bar and 385lb weights for $250.

Just do floor press instead of bench, and hip thrust instead of squat, and you can follow pretty much any routine.

Calf raises can be a bitch, when you start getting really heavy.

Outside of that i have little complaints.
Will get a shitty little $50 squat stand one of these days

>£800
waay overkill. I got my barbell, 100 kg of plates, bench (used) and pair of dumbbells, squat rack with max load 300kgs (new) for around 300 gbp.
Look for used stuff and I'm sure you can get by cheaper.

Is this a good deal?

detroit.craigslist.org/okl/spo/5667880272.html

How do you do bench press without a spotter with that?

I keep it at 3x5 amd if I can't press it I just do the roll of shame

You sure you want a smith machine, user?

>2016
>benching
fucking lmao i bet you also do curls

No, no curls by default in Stronglifts.

Is this some ebin meme or something? What's wrong with benching?

Why do you people insist on spotters?
The only reason to have a spotter is when you're doing forced reps.

I'm on my way to benching 330 (gonna rack up a little more volume after an easy 315x2) and I never needed a spotter. Not even for PRs.

You just control your fucking negative and zercher the shit up, like a fucking man.

>detroit.craigslist.org/okl/spo/5667880272.html
That's a great deal to experience what lifting weights on the moon is like.

>Why do you people insist on spotters?
Because you can push harder and safer with one. It's dumb to not have pins if you're benching alone in your house. All it takes is one dumb fucking moment to end up as 'Local man found decapitated in home gym guillotine.'

This, a bench, a barbell and some free weights. Less than $200.

Yeah, this. I'd like to have slightly less risk of killing myself for the sake of gains.

I train in a forest. The village built some stuff like pull up bars, dips, etc.

I just bought a weight vest so it's pretty cheap training desu
It's also comfy in the forest

A village built a gym in the middle of a forest. That sounds amazing. Pics? Thread?

It's not a gym, it's more like a fitness parcour. It's pretty common in my country (Switzerland)

I just do a bodyweight routine with the weight vest, currently at 37lbs. Gains are good and I love being in the forest

>>Why do you people insist on spotters?
How do you progress if you're only doing safe weights?

If you want it badly enough man, you'll get it. I just starting getting Veeky Forums 2 months ago. I live in a shitty small irish town with no decent gym, so I said fuck it, I'll build one. I just bought a 7 foot barbell, a bench and a cage after saving up for them for the last 2 months, doing cardio and some bodyweight/band shit in the meantime. It's amazing how much spare cash you have when your cooking well, not buying random shitty lunches/snacks at work or ordering takeaway. That £800 is a direct investment in your future health, looks and strength. If you buy a car/a tv/a console/Pc/Whatever the fuck eventually it's going to be obsolete. That 20Kg plate is always going to be a 20Kg plate.

I picked up an Olympic bar with weights at a tag sale recently but I passed on the bench because it was a huge rusty piece of old metal that wasn't at all an aesthetic match for my place/easily storable. Is there a bench you guys can recommend that folds up or collapses or something?

I bench 275 and have never needed a spotter. Never even done a roll of shame.

If you can handle it for 3-5 reps, you dont need a spot.

Never a need to work above your 3rm.

Floor press > bench.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm70ekicxSs

>tfw your shitty glitchy mobile has you accidently press "post"
t-nation.com/training/tip-do-the-floor-press
t-nation.com/training/master-the-floor-press

I saw that further up but don't I still need a rack? I'm pretty fucking pathetic right now (5'9" weak as fuck 180 pounds dad bod) so the weights I'm putting on the bar aren't getting it high enough off the floor for me to get under it.

"The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you're a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds."
Henry Rollins

>go on craigslist
>nothing but gimmick fitness equipment (e.g. ab lounge, """""""portable ellipitical""""") and dumb cardio machines
Fuck. I was hoping there were some cheap free weights. The closest that's on there is a standard barbell for $5

Used power rack + used Olympic bar + plates

Can't be that expensive

Maybe a few hundred.

Used rack, shitty bar, craigslist plates.

If you buy it new, it'll be a few hundred more.