True or false

You can squat 10% more low bar than high bar

Other urls found in this thread:

strengtheory.com/its-time-to-end-this-nonsense-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squatting/
strengtheory.com/high-bar-and-low-bar-squatting-2-0/?_ga=1.47697583.902074608.1468095476
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

true but it's not a real squat

Explain

more of a good morning

You aren't using your quads as much as you're using the posterior chain, a much stronger group of muscles on the lift.

It's accepted in competition so it's a squat m8

Depends on the person. I squat excacly the same high bar as low bar and I've got great form on both lifts

>"Oh you're doing low bar squats with 405lbs or as us weightlifters call it, Good Mornings with 180kg?" My high bar squat with 60kg is much more impressive as I actually go through the full ROM as was intended. And in no way am I dyel, I just have honor. Something these fat powerlifters will never understand.

Uh yeah it's a pretty big difference.

If someone said they benched 405 lbs but they did 1/4 rom, would you say "Yes you really did it, that's a good a bench press!"?

If someone said they curled 60lb dumbbells but actually just swung their entire back to get it up would you say "Yes you have very strong biceps, you have done the movement correctly"?

>If someone said they benched 405 lbs but they did 1/4 rom, would you say "Yes you really did it, that's a good a bench press!"?

People dont get all butt hurt about people arching their back on bench. Aka shortening rom.

Why do people get upset about the squat bar placement three inches lower

Because the entire movement is completely different

Fuck off summerdyel.

The only people who get upset about this shit is DYELs.

I get upset and I lift. Thanks for playing.

Ah yes very different movements

The only people who do low bar at my gym are fat or SJWs. The good-looking bodybuilder types do front squat or high bar.

Has anyone actually lifted both low and high in this thread.

Low bar is so fucking hard to do, trying to keep the weight from crushing your arms.

>Anecdotal evidence

The only people who front squat or highbar squat at my gym were DYELs and people who did half reps. The people who did lowbar squats were bigger and stronger than you'll ever be.

>Fatass powerlifter delusion

lmao. You know your 405 low bar squat isn't that impressive when it's 1.5x your bodyweight, right?

I've done both. I started with highbar and trained that and front for about a year. Then I switched to lowbar. It took me a few months to figure it out. The way to go with lowbar is a thumbless grip. Mark Rippetoe has a pretty good video on it.

My 465 lowbar squat is 2.25 times my bodyweight, but thanks anyways twink who thinks his aye tee gee 225 highbar squats are impressive.

What was your reason for switching?

Fatfuck sjw detected

Started powerlifting.

i just switched from high bar to low bar and I love it
you're doing it wrong, you shouldnt have any weight on your arms
you have to point your elbows up (not down like in highbar squat)
this way you will feel the space between your traps and your rear delt where the bar can rest

>people arguing when there's proof you can lift heavy as fuck no matter the style

It depends on how the lifter has trained, I can't squat 10% more lowbar than high bar because I've been doing highbar since I started lifting and that's what I'm used to, the movement of lowbar is awkward to me so I can't execute it properly and can't get to max weight with it.
tbqh famalam
pic unrelated

I don't think it's impressive, I don't train for powerlifting

Depends. I've only increased my squat slightly(5%) from switching to low bar.

>Low bar is so fucking hard to do, trying to keep the weight from crushing your arms.
The weight is supposed to rest against the rear delts and below the scapular shelf, pressed and held there by a thumbless grib against your back. Wrists straight, back slightly forward so the weight isn't held by your hands. If it's crushing your arms you are doing it wrong.

>yfw you realize nobody on this board has actually read SS

>Oh no, nobody read a book by some obese neckbeard from flyover land

Fuck, I just read a bit up on it. Low bar does let you lift more weight.

Thanks for the tips. I'm looking at some pics now and I see what I was doing wrong.

I skimmed StrongLifts. Is SS really superior?

>>yfw you realize nobody on this board has actually read SS

We want to look good, not get fat as fuck but MUH 500 LOW BAR SQUAT when nobody even thinks you've ever been inside a gym.

that guy has a wrong grip though

I don't think it's impressive either :^). My squat won't be impressive to me until I'm squatting 150lbs heavier.

kek dyel summerfriend
keep doing your leg extensions so you can pump up that teardrop brah

>it's a "dyels have to make excuses for why they're weak" episode

Keep telling everyone how strong you are because you can squat 1.5x your bodyweight(which happens to be around 300lbs) while wearing knee wraps and a belt

>It's a fatasses have to make excuses for why they don't look good episode

But you can lift more low bar

i'm not that dude summerfriend, if you want to get juicy legs you need to squat
nobody cares if you do highbar or lowbar, only autists on Veeky Forums
lowbar is a great squat that engages the posterior chain a lot, great for athletes
there's nothing wrong with it
lowbar+frontsquat masterrace

I'm highbar + front squat master race

I'll just do glute ham raises if i want "muh posterior chain"

that's great too user
there are multiple ways to reach your goal

You can lift even more than that on the leg press.

So far, I have learned nothing, but that's probably as much my fault as yours.

I have been high bar squatting. I can squat 500 with just a belt.

I thought if i bought some knee sleeves and started squatting low bar i could get 550-560

Low bar recruits more muscle than high bar, it's not that much more but it's a bit.

even rip says that the most important thing is that you squat heavy, not where you place the bar. if you squat less than 4 plates then you're still weak and need to squat more. doesn't matter if it's "high bar ATG" or low bar to parallel

>Using a regular width bench press grip in cheating because you use the pectorals more, which is a larger and stronger muscle group than your triceps. I only use patrician close grip when I bench press 85 lbs for a heavy triple.

But user, a correct lowbar squat is done to full ROM.

The low bar guy actually got a bit deeper.

This, chaps.

Rip advocates the low bar squat because he uses the exercises that are most efficient at making people strong. Lowbar recruits more muscles, hence it's more useful for developing strength in absolute terms than highbar.

But ultimately a squat is a squat. Just do them and get them over with.

>I skimmed StrongLifts. Is SS really superior?

I'd say SS The Workout Routine is the superior novice routine, but either will make you gains. SS The Book is something you absolutely need to read. It's 90% how to squat, OHP, bench press, deadlift, and power clean correctly. You NEED to be doing at least the first four correctly if you want to see any natty progress. And you need to be doing power cleans well if your goal is to play some sport better.

The other 10% is half how to do certain assistance lifts that will be useful once you're beyond the novice program, and half how to actually do the novice program. Everyone on Veeky Forums needs to read SS. There should be a goddamn written exam over The Book before they let you sign up for a gym membership.

Jesus fucking christ everybody on Veeky Forums needs to read more.

strengtheory.com/its-time-to-end-this-nonsense-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squatting/

strengtheory.com/high-bar-and-low-bar-squatting-2-0/?_ga=1.47697583.902074608.1468095476

The biggest difference is the depth at which the "bounce" occurs and thoracic spinal erector strength. Otherwise, engagement between everything else, including quads, hamstrings, and "posterior chain" is pretty much fucking identical.

>be 287lbs (down from 350+)
>can squat 185lbs high bar
>barely squat 1pl8 low bar

am I retarded ?
or maybe it's because I haven't been lifting long
and I started lowbar just a few weeks ago
I alternate highbar / lowbar (highbar on diddly days, lowbar on no diddly days)

It's kinda sad how weak I feel compared to how big I am, I guess it'll come with time

As good as you are at high bar squatting, switching to low bar is going to come with an adjustment period. If you do so, be sure to start at a MUCH lighter weight than you feel you should in order to get some practice and not cripple yourself with an unfamiliar movement. Raise the weight quickly from there, and your body will easily adapt to the new movement.

I want to read this but I hate free stuff
What do I do?

yes, low bar to 2pl8
then switched to high bar because WL
currently at 3.5 pl8 and doing smolov.
i remember feeling safer when grinding on lowbar

>High bar for weightlifting
>Advanced routine even though he can't squat 4playt.

gb2/owg/, Olyboi.

Sumo Deadlift is an abomination.

... you literally just click "I hate free stuff". The "free stuff" is just in reference to his free training programs, you don't need to enter your email to read the site.

So can i lift more weight or not

Depends on your thoracic spinal erector strength. If its a limiting factor, you'll squat more lowbar.

Yes

Bump

Low bar is uncomfortable. But i want that 10%

Roughly, probably a little less than that once you're good at both.

I recently switched to low bar from high bar as I have finally accepted the fact that my ankles will never be flexible enough despite lifting shoes and mobility work. I'm sick of putting plates under my heel.

It's as different as an inch and a half of bar placement and a little knee travel.

And doing good mornings vs a real squat

How much do paused box squats carry over to regular high bar squats

W

Tbh NOT a fan of cranking the elbows back like that, uncomfy af for me. Everyone's a little different though.

kys

HB/front squat allows for a more upright torso, which typically allows for a greater range of motion for the knees.
This probably makes them better quad developers than LB.

LB allows for more hip flexion, greater ROM, so it might be a better hamstring/glute developer.

I do agree that the differences are smaller than what most people make them out to be though.

I don't have to mobility to squat lowbar.

If 350 pound 35% bf powershitters can figure it out so can you

My hamstrings aren't mobile enough. My squat would have more forward lean than Layne Norton due to my long femurs. I currently have no reason to do lowbar, since I'm a footballer first and PL second. I'm fine just doing high bar.

>350 35%bf

Sounds bad but it would translate to 227lbs lbm which is pretty fucking jacked

Hamstrings usually don't limit squat mobility, as they're not fully stretched.

But doing high bar is fine.

>But doing high bar is fine.
No

Eyy

All depends on the individual lifter and what their strengths and weakness are at the time.

>Not enough mobility for a low bar squat
Er, what?
Could you elaborate?

Depending on hip structure/bracing, hitting a competition-legal low bar squat can be tough for some people