What do you use for shaving, Veeky Forums?

What do you use for shaving, Veeky Forums?
Considering dumping my Gillette crap and getting either this or a razor.

but that is a razor

Using exactly as per your pic.

Tonnes cheaper and 200% more manly than Gillette throwaways.

t. Art of Manliness reader
Just kidding, but safety razors seem better in all ways than disposables.

Think he means a cutthroat razor

I mean this.

How many shaves does the blades last?

I use Astra Platinum blades. A new one for each shave.

I change them every 3-4 shaves, but that's because I'm particularly pedantic and aim to change them before I can tell they are getting blunt.

Given I can buy a pack of 20 razors for $7, it barely matters.

There's really no point in getting a straight razor, it's not 1901.

You'll slice your face up before figuring out how to do it properly.

I have that razor and these blades currently. Way cheaper, great shave, and I no longer get ingrown hairs, razorburn and generally irritated red skin.
You should also get a brush and some kind of soap/cream, because the canned shit isn't good for your skin. At least it wasn't for me, it dried it out and made it red.

5-6 times, can last longer depending on how many passes you do, how rough your facial hair is and how you maintain the blades themselves.

I also use the DE89 (DE89L with the lined handle) and astra platinum blades.

use arko soap, and a muhle black fibre brush.

100 blades are £8.99, and that lasts me well over a year, and I change them far more often than I need to, usually every second shave or so, but they can go for 7-8 shaves easily, I just don't see the point in using anything but a fresh blade when they're so cheap.

soap is cheap as fuck also, one stick lasts >6 months.

King Gillette fucked up by basically inventing the perfect razor right off the bat. Modern cartridge razors are actively worse than a plain old safety razor, the problem for shaving companies is that they're basically indestructible, can take any blade from any company, and you'll probably never need a replacement

I have a similar razor, Merkur 32c, with Merkur blades, a quality brush and shaving cream.
It really has no advantages besides feeling good. You can get the same shave from a Gillette set for 1/3 of the price.

Merkur slant razor + feather blades.

I have sensitive skin.

I use the feather artist club for the razor, with Feather Professional blades.

As for cream, I use Taylor of Old Bond Street, plus Art of Shaving pre-shave oil. Truly, this is the way the supreme gentleman grooms.

depends. The sharper ones go bad faster, better blades last longer, and it depends on the individual on how sharp do you need it. Between three to ten shaves.

>As for cream, I use Taylor of Old Bond Street

same (sandalwood)

I use the same one. Do they have any other good ones?
But don't buy their Lemon & Lime one, it's really disappointing. I usually love citrus stuff and it's not good at all.

I use the one in your pic (Merkur 34C). Took a few days to get used to it and I fucked my shit up a few times but when you get good at it it's better than a cartridge razor.

I tried the same as but I found it made the blade drag, so I changed over to the "shaving shop" type. Totally neutral as far as scent, so your cologne will ring out.

Haha pussy. Use it virgins, shit'll put some hair on your chest ya fucking pansies. The only true way to shave

I use a 1965 Gillette Slim Adjustable razor which I found in a drawer at home, probably belonged to my grandfather, with some Gillette razor blades that they still manufacture in Brazil. Once you know how to handle it you get the cleanest shaves with minimum irritation.

I use a cutthroat, on most of my face it's the best shave I've ever gotten but it's still quite difficult to shave my chin so it ends up a little worse around there. I can't shave against the grain yet either so that's a goal for improving the shave. Been shaving with it for about a year.

*tips fedora*

the fuck?

>hurr durr manly man
Fuck off, grandpa. Your boomer-made honor culture is a cancer on society

merkur 37 slant bar

I use Gillette Fusion 5. I shave 3-4 times a week and a cartridge lasts me for months.

Nah don't go against the grain, that will fuck your shit up. Re-lather and go for a second pass.

Eventually you'll get good enough to go against the grain. Probably took me about 2 years to get to that point.

I use gilette multi blade with safety lines over the blade. Any other razor makes mincemeat out of my ballbag when i shave.

Also less cuts on any bumpy bits which you get as you age

Alright man, I'll take your advice. I enjoy the ritual that goes along with straight razor shaving enough that I can deal with it taking the extra time with 2 passes.

Safety razors crew checking in. I have a cheap set from LA Shaving Soap, works gr8.

What? But a safety razor is a LOT cheaper on the long run if you just shop a little.

1 year worth of blades for like 10$, you certainly are not getting that with a gillette 5 blades razor

not entirely related but we:
how the fuck do you shave between balls and ass? am very hairy down there

You don't faggot

Lather up and be careful.

Oh yeah I keep my old Gillette Mach 3 or whatever it's called for my balls.
Maybe it's better but I don't have the courage nor confidence down there with the safety razor yet.

That's what I use. Got a nice long handle safety razor, 100 blades, and Grapeseed oil from a local store. Cost about $50 total and I use a new blade every week or so. I've switched from shaving cream to oil and I love the change. No cuts, no irritation, feels great on the skin.

I haven't shaved there, but my instinct tells me you might have to do the ever so masculine "one foot on the bathroom counter in front of the mirror" move.

Use a trimmer.

Shave the balls, shape the trail, trim the valley.

> shave the balls

Any advice ? this sounds a bit tricky, would be too scared to cut myself.
Also for what purpose ?

Stretch the skin and shave. It's a lot easier than you may think, I've never knicked myself shaving my balls.

I use the single blade razor in the op pic.

The multiblade razors make my face break out.

sensor excel master race forever and ever

Merkur D38
Proraso cream
Badger hair

Massarace

OP, you got the right idea. Why multibladed cartridges are the norm now boggles my mind. Safety razors are GOAT. Damn cheap, and it feels manly as hell. I used to get nasty razor bumps with the gillette cartridge razors, but since I switched over that went away. Make sure you lather properly, and don't be a jew when it comes to shaving cream/oil/butter you use. Get yourself some high quality stuff and your face will feel exuberant.

I use a shavette I got for free and Shark blades. Derby makes shit blades.

>not going to professional barber every time you need a shave

how about getting a job you lazy fucks?

Millenial numale culture is worse

Have the same setup. Can confirm is fantastic.

Get a Harry's razor, guarantee you'll never look back

>accidentally drop safety razer
>twitch reflex, slice finger off
>lands on toe, lops toe off
>blood everywhere
>slip and fall backward
>crack head open on toilet
>die
great shave doe

>being so fucking lazy you pay someone to shave you
>calling others lazy
You can do better than this.

Something like that with a longer handle.

I've probably spent like $10 in the last 2 years for shaving supplies.

Femanon here.

Shirtless guys shaving with a safety razor is probably one of the hottest things I know.

Laughed, 8/10 would read again.

Pic related, Mühle Rytmo razor and brush. Just ran out of Mühle blades, kinda eager to see how the Feather blades compare to them.
For shaving cream, I use Truefitt & Hill unscented, got an aloe vera aftershave balm from Proraso.
Feels and smells much better than anything I've used with disposables. And it's cheaper in the long run too, hey!

barber won't shave my ass crack

Lol'd

Did your dad do this?

Yeah. It's just a very manly thing.

>Feather blades compare to them
Samurai 10000 folds katana sharp, srsly. Respect those blades.

THIS. I don't know what it is about shaving but it makes me crazy.

I use a safety razor (maggard 34?) and wilkinson sword blades. I use a bit of coconut oil as preshave and then nivea shaving cream

I really enjoy the cost of de razors, a pack of $10 blades last me a year, but the process takes so damn long.

Wish I could just do a quick lather, one quick pass, and rinse. I find that I've gotta be pretty careful about my lather and technique unless I wanna get cut up.

Sadly, I'm addicted to my Gillette Mach 3. It was the first razor I used, and it's the one I know how to use the best.

I have an Edwin Jagger safety razor, some Feather blades, a badger hair brush, the whole poncy setup, but I still prefer my Gillette. I get a closer and more controlled shave with it. I've just come to accept that I'll forever be a slave to Gillette and their overpriced razor blades. Though, I do not regret learning more about fancy shaving soaps. The soap and brush you use seems to matter more than the razor, anyway.

I heard they'd be verry sharp, so I also got a pack of Astra blades (Which I've heard are about as sharp as tennis balls, in contrast) to keep me if they prove too difficult to use, though I am sure it's just a matter of growing accustomed to it, maybe with a few cases of shaving rash to really rub it in.

I used to use a Dovo shavette before, but couldn't quite get used to it and ended up with some patches of stubble. I also had to time my shavings after how my beard grew, as it would just give me a nasty rash if I tried shaving with it more often than every four days. Still use it to shave my chest though (poor hair growth pattern), since I have a few packs of blades left for it. I reckon it would be crazy good for shaving legs with too, for anyone so inclined.

>The soap and brush you use seems to matter more than the razor, anyway.
I really think you're on to something with that, and as long as you are comfortable with using disposablesand get the best results with them, I see no reason for why you'd want to change either.

Why THE FUCK would you use a straight edge razor in 2016?

THE CURRENT YEAR REEEEEEEEEEE

Even current year - 100 is pushing it. The only time you should get a straight razor shave is when visiting one of those fedora barber shops.

I once tried using a mach 3.
I needed to change the blades three times before I got kinda shaved (not even properly smooth), because they went completly blunt.

I'm using a razor and the blade can withstand two shaves (or one, if I shave armpits and pubes too).

>2011 + 5
>still using a straight razor
>ISHYGDDT

This thing.
I mostly just trim to 2mm or so.

Muhle R41 masterrace reporting in.
Double edge is cheaper and gives a nicer shave than a shitty Gillette.
Cut-throat is also good, but takes too much time

I've been using a DE razor to shave for work from monday to friday and really never had issues. Biggest difference for me are the soap / cream you use for a lather and the blades. Feather blades were way to sharp for me, I always looked like I got mauled by a dog after the second pass.
Also "tailor of old bond street" is godlike stuff, pretty expensive but worth every penny.

use your mach3 for that . I dont have the nerves to use my str8 down there. that or git gud at plucking

Even if you used each blade only once its still significantly cheaper than a cartridge razor.

Also can anybody suggest a good double edged razor for travel?

Find a new barber

Because they have an interest in it, I'd imagine. It is an old... Craft(?), and while it might not be as fast as a safety razor or disposable, it shouldn't be claimed that it is for everyone.
If you have the time and interest to teach yourself how to use one, sharpen it, and otherwise maintain it, I honestly do not see why you wouldn't want to use it.

I should like to imagine it's the same reason some people go survivalist camping, or shoot pictures with film cameras - Not because better alternatives don't exist, but because they have a personal interest in it.

First and foremost, trim what you can with scissors. If the hairs are very long, they'll just get stuck on the blade and you'll have to stop shaving to wash them off several times.

Then just lather up and go to town with a safety razor. Carefully.

Oh yeah. Using a straight edge as a hobby I can understand, but for every day shaving? I doubt most people have time for that.

It does supposedly give the closest shave possible, though.

I just came here to second this. I use a Merkur with Bic Chrome Platinum Blades. Fuck Gillette and their 25$ vibrating Mach 9000 nonsense. Shave like a man.

I use a body hair trimmer for my armpits, pubes, and leg hair. Also on my beard about twice a week, to keep it at a nice length. I wouldn't go near that stuff with a regular razor.

The razor is only for my facial hair that doesn't grow in evenly or aesthetically (which is most of it), which I shave more or less every day. I don't notice the Mach 3 blades dulling any faster than the standard two-sided single blades, it's just that they cost like 100x the price.

Merkur safety razor
Feather shavette

pretty good stuff, and the maintenance cost is almost nonexistant.

also bought a straight razor a couple years ago but couldn't be arsed to make all the additional required purchese of various grained stones and leather and shit to keep it in shape.
Shavette is way more user friendly.

How does Taylor of Old Bond Street compare to the Proraso Sandalwood?

cuck detected

They work really well if you shave only intermittently and would otherwise have to fight through a beard.

They are also really fast once you get used to it.

In the case of a shavette, they are also very cheap, with a box of 100 blades being $5-8 and lasting me about three years.

I use a DE Safety Razor like OP pic but cheaper, they're mostly just for show so get something with a little bit of weight to it but don't go crazy unless you have the money. I have Mach 3 I think disposable razors for the sake of it and an electronic shaver but its not something I really ever use, not worth the mess and also constant charging and cleaning that accompanies it.

Considering getting one of those badger hair shaving brushes but desu once again it's all more of an expensive accessory vs practicality. Just slathering on some good shaving cream and going to town with 5 cent per blade razor blades and a safety razor is just as personally satisfying if that's the outcome you're looking for. My advice is to get a 30-50 dollar safety razor handle, some proper razor blades (google that shit for the types and reviews, some are sharper, duller, or closer shaves based on make), post shave balm, and a good shaving cream. Upgrade from there as necessary but if you're not a beardo things like preshave oil, and other facial care stuff is unnecessary.

>Pic related is my current shaving cream

Having used both, I prefer Taylor of Old Bond Street. I really like the Proraso aftershave, though.

I just use some razors and generic Gilette shaving cream from the supermarket.

Do safety razors and fancy shaving soaps actually make a difference that's worth the extra cost? What about aftershave? I just apply some moisturizer.

Red pill me on shaving, Veeky Forums.

Good timing OP, I just got a long handled merkur (15 bucks), some quality shaving cream (16 bucks), a badger hair brush (15 bucks), 100 Astra razors (10 bucks), and a lather bowl (20 bucks). Used it all for the first time yesterday and it was 100% the best shave I ever had. Took a while to get the form down but I don't have a single ingrown hair today, which is rare, and it was remarkably smooth considering that I figured it wouldn't be that close of a shave. The up front costs are fairly steep, but long term it's WAY cheaper than can shaving cream and cartridge razors. Those 100 razors would last you 200 days even if you just used each side once.

Just make sure you research how to use it all properly (safety razors function way different from the multiblade stuff) and treat the razors with respect. I'd stay away from straight razors though. They're labor intensive and unforgiving, and you'll fuck up a lot before you ever get it down. Plus the thought of accidentally killing yourself whole shaving is spooky. If you really want to try them then go to a barber and buy a straight razor shave to see if you like it. Maybe ask for tips too if you're serious.

Higher initial investment, but quality stuff will save you money in the long term.

That being said I only use a Merkur 34 and william's mug soap. It's pretty relaxing and gives me a closer shave than anything I got with disposables. Also I get mires literally every-time I'm in the hall restroom. It is very difficult to fuck up if you're patient.

using the starter pack from target; safety razor.
has lasted me about a year and a half...
picked up a straight razor not too long ago but i hardly shave with it. i usually get a few nicks here and there.

you know how you sound right?

Even faggots don't shave!

I fucking hated the Dovo. Entirely turned me off to straight razor shaving. Plus I don't want to drop a shit load of money on a decent one.

I switch to DE safety razors a year ago.
best decision ever.

cheaper blade refills than that over price Gillete rip off

still gives you a close shave and is more rewarding to use

razor for face. epilator for chest, belly, pubes, legs, ass and arms.

Bic single razors