Why am I not losing weight?

>Why am I not losing weight?

2 months ago I was consuming around 3000 calories a day and I sat at work all day (I have a desk job). I woke up one day and said I was sick of being a fat ass so I wanted to lose weight. Since then I have started:

>Eating 1700 or less calories a day
>Avoid fried foods
>Avoid all prepackaged foods
>started crossfit (its better than nothing)
>eat less red meat more fish and chicken

However even with these changes in my diet I have only lost a total of 7 pounds. In the past 2 days (I had lost a total of 13 pounds) I have some how gained 8 pounds even though I have worked out both days and eaten less than 1600 calories each day.

What the fuck am I doing wrong?

>6'2
>294 pounds starting weight
>lost down to 281 this past monday
>somehow back up to 289 this morning

Don't weigh yourself every day.

it varies. was 5pounds heaveir yesterday than today even though i just ate breakfast now. dunno what's the science behind it. just keep doing what you're doing.

Also: 1700deficit masterrace reporting in.

You're going to fuck your metabolism up and be permafat if you keep crash dieting like that

>tfw gf buys pizza trying to surprise you so you are forced to eat it with a fake smile
>tfw now have to spend an extra hour at the gym just to burn an extra 600 calories

Hi man, you're probably experiencing starvation mode, so your conserving fat and using it to operate at the bare minimum of your metabolic rate

What you want to be doing is eating 750-500 calories less than standard per day, if your body is burning 3000kcal sat idle, or more if you're working out, those crossfit sessions probably give you the ability to have an extra 200~ calories, but its important not to fill the gap it creates for you with simple carbs or sugars

As you're two months in, try starting with a 500 defecit then start working and recalculating your defecit.

>tfw no pizza gf

You can have a lot more fluctuation than one would think because of water weight. Weigh yourself once a week or less. I promise, if you keep eating at a deficit and dont give up or cheat you WILL lose weight.

How is it crash dieting? I am eating healthier shit, I eat three meals a day, and I am not hungry. Its pretty easy to live on 1600 calories if you arent eating fried food or bread constantly.

>starvation mode
bro science intensifies.

1700kcal is not low enough to force the body into any "starvation mode". It's a fucking meme anyway.

Maybe you ate some extra sodium the day before...or something else that causes water retention.
My suggestion to you is that you should stick with it for a little longer, I mean you're still losing weight.

Also stop weighing yourself every day.

but 5 pounds in 2 months is pitiful. At what point should I stop and what the fuck alternative is there?

I'd like to think I know a good deal of stuff when it comes to dieting and nutrition, but I don't really know what to say for your situation really. All I can say is just stick with it. Your body is a reflection of your lifestyle and if you're lifting and eating good, results will come. Don't think about months, think about how much better you'll look in a year if you keep doing what you're doing. You can do this

This theory always triggers me, mostly because people are serious 90% of the time they post it. Humans have only had reliable access to food in a relatively small period of their existence. If we'd be fucked the first time we had to go without food for a couple days, we'd have died off a long time ago.

Just stop now. You are clearly forever lazy. Go back to your desk job so your desk job wife can fantasize about the muscular delivery driver.

He means the opposite you big dummy. It's literally BECAUSE food was unreliable that humans developed "starvation mode" when you're not eating enough.

Shit op, you sound like me
Starting 6'2 270lbs
>start losing weight 2 years ago
>lose 70lbs over 1.5 years
>plateau 7 months ago
>lose another 10 pounds over 6 months
>currently at 188
>weight stopped coming off over a month ago
>have been readjusting my calories every week
>minus 100 cal a week
>started at 2200, down to 1800, despite calculators saying my tdee is 2600
>feel like absolute shit daily
>crash hard as fuck around 3pm
>no energy for work outside
>caffeine doesn't give me a boost, just keeps me from losing my shit
>still not losing weight

Fucking about to lose it brahs.
Any advice? Will post diet if interested, been tracking and weighing my foods daily for 3 weeks

Except we're beyond the time when we needed to guess this shit.

We're now at the stage where we can accurately measure how many calories somebody is burning.

The only time LE STARVATION MODE has been shown to occur is when we:

Starve, overwork, and get males below 10% bodyfat.

Even then the difference is minimal by about 100 - 200 calories.

And once diet is corrected this starts to correct.

To simplify, the only time we've seen this happen clinically is when people are in death camp conditions.

Note: I don't mean " we can measure it" aka because we have myfitnesspal.

I mean an endocrinologist now has equipment that can accurately measure your caloric output.

Forgot to mention my workouts are suffering and I feel like it's taking more time to recover. And my digestive system is fucked, ive been shitting like once every 3 or 4 days for the past few weeks whereas I normally shit every other day before that

Post pls.

You're lying
>Avoid fried foods
Okay
>Avoid all prepackaged foods
Whatever
>started crossfit (its better than nothing)
You're stupid
>eat less red meat more fish and chicken
Okay

dude 5 pounds is pure water weight

Use the sticky to figure out how many calories your body needs and use MyFitnessPal to track your calories.

If X is your maintenance amount, then subtrack 500 kcal from that amount to lose 1 pound each week.

For example, my maintenance amount is around 2400 and I eat around 1800 kcal every day.

Learn to be patient, make sure you are counting correctly and weigh yourself 2 times a month.

It's water and food weight in your gut and all over your body. Be patient and stick with it and you WILL lose the weight. Your actual weight is certainly much closer to 281 than it is to 289. If you continue to work at as well, and be active you will burn more calories and lose weight even faster.

Just because your weight doesn't change,doesn't mean you're not losing fat.

Also,this And crossfit is fucking gay even for Veeky Forums

My fitness pal is what I have been using. I also always overestimate my portions.

Why would I lie on a Chinese cartoon website?

You're counting wrong.

Use MyFitnessPal.

PROTIP: Your body isn't breaking the laws of thermodynamics, you're just bad at counting calories. Keep at it and you'll get better at it.

Here's the week view from Tuesday minus 1 week. I would post from yesterday but I ate at maintenance which throws off my numbers for this purpose

THIS JUST IN

OP's BODY IS CREATING ENERGY OUT OF THING FUCKING AIR

No, OP, you are just fucking up with the counting.

How many calories is your TDEE?

How much weight loss per month have you set MFP to track?

How many calories are you consuming?

Your scale might be shitty?

MFP has me caped at like 2 pounds a week. It also had my daily calorie amount around 2500 calories as well as it estimated I burned 339 calories for each day of crossfit. I have since edited my daily calorie intake to 1500 calories max as well as adjusted my calories burnt to 200 total. I also always over estimate my portions. Below Are my meals from yesterday which was one of the worst days I've had in the past week.

I should also point out Wednesdays and Sundays are the two days I dont work out which is why there is no exercise portion.

What time of day are you weighing yourself?

In the morning is the weight I am going by. Although I weighed last night since I ate so bad and I had only gained around .8 pounds. However between last night and this morning I had gained a total of 3.8 pounds since yesterday morning.

Are you using a kitchen scale?

I guess it's possible, I bought the digital scale from Walmart.
I should also mention that I'm pretty sedentary. I gym 5 days a week and go to school but outside of that, I pretty much am sitting or laying down the rest of the day. The past week I've added about 2 hours of LISS daily (walking on a bike trails near my house) just to add more NEPA calorie burn and I feel that's contributing to my feeling like shit lately but the weight still isn't budging. Should I just give it more time or readjust?

No, but for example me and my wife cooked Tuna steaks 2 nights ago the package said the total weight was 12 ounces (they were the frozen ones) and since I ate 2 of the 3 steaks I estimated the weight I ate at 10 ounces.

>No

KEK EVERY TIME

Delete thread
Buy kitchen scale
Use it
Realize how much of a fucking dumbass you are

Yeah dude you need to weigh your food. Buy a digital scale from target or Walmart for starters

Learn how to cook food

I still need advice Bros

Your weight can fluctuate 5-10 lbs on a daily basis based. You should only weigh yourself once a week.

this thread is fucking triggering me

>im running a 1000 kcal deficit for months but not losing weight!

calling bullshit. you are lying, exaggerating, or you are eating more than you think you are. end of thread. if this offends you then go and ask on reddit, they will gladly sooth your feelies.

>daily reminder that if you can somehow maintain high bodyfat fat while using more energy than you are consuming, and you do not subsequently die, then you have literally broken the laws of thermodynamics and are eligable for a nobel prize

You don't need to weigh it to lose weigh anons.

For example with trail mix If it says "1 cup is X calories" that means on average 1 cup will be that many calories. On Day 1 it might be slightly more, Day 2 slightly less. As long as you count your calories assuming the worst case and get plenty of exercise you'll still maintain a deficit just fine.

>thinking you actually need to weigh your food

#staywoke

If you aren't losing weight then it can be a valuable insight to exactly what you're putting in your body. If OP was losing weight steadily then nobody would have said anything but he isn't so it can be a useful tool to reevaluate

I will invest in a scale, although don't you think I would till be losing weight even if I am eating more? MFP gave me 2250 calories per day to lose weight and I have been eating 1600 and less. Even if I am underestimating my portions I cant help but think I wouldn’t be underestimating them by 50% of my calorie intake.

That's true man and there's a lot of variables that may be working against you. What's your activity level outside of working out? Are you tracking things like oils, sauces, and seasonings?
Try this:
Weigh yourself daily at the same time in the morning after you wake up and use the restroom and track it on MFP. Fuck what everyone else is saying, daily weigh ins give you feedback about water retention and stuff BUT don't get caught up in the numbers. Once a week take an average of your weekly weigh ins (I do Fridays) and check the average wee after week for changes. If you don't have changes after 2 or 3 weeks then drop cals by 100 (this means you should be aiming for the same daily target). I would suggest starting at maintenance calories for 1 week and dropped your cals until you achieve a 1 to 2 week pound per week change. You might find that eating maintenance on top of working out and weighing your food will actually give you a good weight loss in the beginning

Take weekly body fat measurements with calipers (check out scooby on YouTube for anyone else for how to do that), or at least measure your waist

As for working out, Start with just the weights and if you don't achieve weight loss you should add around 30 to 45 minutes of Low intensity steady state cardio (walking, etc) 3 or 4 times a week. I do it daily because I'm fairly sedentary

Weight loss is the process of collecting data on yourself and comparing it over time and making small adjustments.

You should try to lose weight with the highest amount of calories possible so your cut doesn't suck balls and if you're eating 1600cal and stop losing weight, going down another 100cal is hell so you should start higher

You may have lost only 7 pounds, but you've likely gained some muscle, so you've actually lost more fat than you think. Are clothes fitting different yet?

Yes, I add in any sauce, or seasoning or ANYTHING I eat (handful of almonds I will add). Outside of working out I am also pretty sedentary as well. I just assumed, perhaps wrongly, that crossfit 4-5 times a week, coupled with a reduction in calorie intake MUST result in weight loss.

Perhaps I should start eating more than 1600 calories a day?

Normally my wife and I do cook but she had to work late last night, that's the biggest reason I said last night was one of the worst days i have had in a while.

If you keep up what you're doing, you will lose weight but you'll also lose your shit eventually or have a bad cut / lose muscle.

I know it sounds counterproductive but yes, go back to maintenance and stay there for 1 week while weighing yourself daily. If your weight doesn't change then drop cals by 100. Do this each week you aren't losing weight until you are. Alternatively you could add more cardio after you drop about 200 to 300 cals from your diet.

Can you post the week view of your macronutrients on MFP? Preferably before your cheat meal last night

Also remember that you're a scientist collecting data in this phase right now. Don't get attached to the numbers, they don't really matter. It's not a win or lose game, good / bad, life /death. They are just numbers. If you take the emotions out of weight loss, you'll have more success because you can crunch the numbers without feeling like you're sacrificing your time / happiness.

You need to find out a couple things:
1) is 2250 actually your maintenance?
2) what happens when you eat at maintenance?
3) what happens if you drop 100cals? 200? Add more exercise?
4) how does carbs and fat affect your mood? Affect Workouts?

You need to know all of these things and think of the first few weeks of weight loss as data collection instead of burning mega fat

Start off by quitting crossfit. It's a fucking meme and doesn't work.

>>started crossfit (its better than nothing)
whew lad

Your deficit is good, just keep going, don't panic if you're not losing weight sometimes. Make sure you're counting your calories right.

If you haven't already, making a habit out of not drinking your calories will help you a ton too. (No juices, only sugarless coffee, etc)

Pizza once every week will not harm your progress breh.

>now have to spend an extra hour at the gym just to burn an extra 600 calories

That is just nonsense.

Do cardio. I'm not joking.

you might not be lying but you're probably an idiot who isn't counting properly. Do you even weigh/log your food?

How is 1700- kcal a lie? When i started losing weight at one point due to a weird sudden stream of motivation of not being a fat fuck i went many days eating around 1300-1800 kcal, wasn't that healthy ofcourse but it happened and i kept losing weight.

I only drink water, nothing else. I know alot of people hate crossfit but is it really that bad? Crossfit fuccbois aside I dont see how its a bad way for the average person to workout

That isn't broscience. It's proven that metabolic rates vary depending on intake. You have to find a balance of eating enough not to slow your metabolic rate, which is obviously what OP has done slashing is calorie intake in half.

Less calories is less weight. Plain and simple.

My recommendation: For the next couple months, be very very strict in tracking your caloric intake.

Over 9 weeks, at a 1300 calorie/day deficit, you are expected to lose about 21 pounds. If we assume that you gained 3 pounds of muscle (which is plausible, though crossfit is still a cult), they you we can expect you to lose 18 pounds. You have lost significantly less than that.

Most likely, you are either

1) Overestimating how many calories you burn
2) Underestimating how many calories you are eating.

I would not reduce the number of calories you are eating, because you might be at dangerous levels already.

It's very possible for weight to fluctuate by 5 pounds. Also possible that there is some sort of difficulty with your scale. I don't know the brand of your scale, or how accurate it is, or whether there is another possible error in the measurement of your weight.

I've used 2 different scales and I weigh the same. Today I just cooked a meal with my wife and it was a 8 oz package of frozen raw flounder and since I ate the bigger piece I estimated it at the higher level. I also only ate around a cup of vegetables (I guessed at 1.5 cups before I measure it out and in reality it was close to 1 cup). I only drink water throughout the day.

I forgot to add when I put in on MFP "20 minutes of cardio circuit training" it calculates me burning 339 calories and I edit it back to 250.

Buy a food scale and weigh your food. It's really something to see how much 4 oz of something is until you measure it and realize how small it really is.

Even when I was over estimating I was still off at least 3oz

Thats starvation levels.

>spot the american

For the next month or two, be really strict about calorie counting. If you still aren't losing weight, reduce your caloric intake a little more.

Remember, losing weight is a long-term game. You can't expect results next week.

Fuck I lost 18 pounds since I started working out 2 hours 5 days a week for 6 months and now I'm stagnating at fucking 220. Used to be 238-240 what the fuck do I do? Also 6'1.

Just keep going. You hit baby's first plateau. There will be more

Thanks user. I want to be 190-200 to be able to join the military and have some gains or just be good enough to not do shit.

I have a scale just like this and it keeps saying I weigh 2,000 pounds HELP

Dude, you're supposed to weigh yourself every week, not every day.
And I seriously hope you took a before picture before you started. Those are a HELL of a lot more important then what is on the scale.

Secondly you just fucking started, so give it some time.

Thirdly are you drinking enough water?

Lastly, you're going to bonk. You're not even eating enough calories for a man half your size eat enough calories for a man who is 250 pounds not 105.

PS walk more and do daily pushups squats situps and back exercises. It will do a lot more then just a quick crossfit workout.

"Starvation mode" occurs when you are in fact starving and have burned through your fat stores. A large caloric deficit from your TDEE ≠ starving.

>starvation mode

No, dumbass.
Starvation mode is a term coined for when your metabolism slows to a crawl to prevent starvation and keep as much mass as possible.

This is a real documented thing and it is the stumbling block of every dieter on the planet. It's also the thing that helps keep humanity from dying out.

EAT
LESS
MOVE
MORE

Bullshit. Starvation mode is a meme fat asses perpetuate to make themselves feel better.

What you're actually thinking of is called metabolic damage/metabolic syndrome, and that shit doesn't happen unless you slip below 4% body fat.

Cut carbs out of your diet if you can for two reasons:

>eating carbs provides your muscles with the ability to hold onto glycogen/water - which causes fluctuation in bodyweight that dissuade dieters such as yourself
>every time you eat carbs you spike your insulin - while your insulin is spiked your body is in building mode, and cannot use fat stores for energy

Up your protein intake, up your fat intake, build a diet around meat and low-carb vegetables. Eat at 1700 calories a day or lower and you'll see better progress.

>Bullshit. Starvation mode is a meme fat asses perpetuate to make themselves feel better.
>What you're actually thinking of is called metabolic damage/metabolic syndrome, and that shit doesn't happen unless you slip below 4% body fat.

Are you fucking retarded?

Hiding your ignorance of fitness terms behind pedanticism that has little to do with the question at hand only makes you look stupid and pigheaded.

>6'2
That's your issue

It's not that simple. The whole point of losing weight also consists of being healthy and fit. Yes, you will lose weight if you eat chicken scraps but will that give you a healthy weight loss? healthy body? I don't think so. Most of your body weight might come off from your muscle too and that is something that everyone must avoid. It's better to eat at an slight caloric deficit from your TDEE like 100~300 and just hit the gym as hard as you can. It's complicated.

>and I kept losing weight
but OP isn't at 6'2" ~300lbs
so he's lying

Actually, your metabolism will suffer at any point you're on a chronic deficit. Usually it won't be so bad to completely eliminate losing weight, but your body is pretty damn good at making itself more efficient, and that includes changing metabolic pathways, i.e, shifting from using dietary proteins for anabolic purposes while at maintenance or surplus to using dietary protein for glucogenisis, heavily retarding weightloss.

Educate yourself, dumbass. Calories-in-calories-out is a very general rule, but the human metabolism is more complex than that. I'm not saying it defies themodynamics, but there are several ways your body can reduce how many calories it burns, or different metabolic pathways it can take.

Did you even think to google it before you embarrassed yourself?

He's right. The term itself is usually bullshit though.

>weighing multiple times a day
Wake up, take a piss, then weigh before you eat or drink anything then don't weigh until the next morning

Weigh your food, use barcode to scan anything you put in your mouth.

You need too if you're starting and your current method of counting calories proofs faulty, it means you're doing something wrong so the best way to fix it is to be obsessive about what you put in your mouth until you found the reason

In this case it's probably underestimating how much food he's eating, which it always is

I shit three times a day. You need to eat more raisins and prunes

Based John Daker. Been a long time since I watched that video.

It holds the fuck up. Watch the one with subtitles for some extra fun.

Just..stop.
This is common fucking knowledge.
Starvation mode is what the metabolic damage is called.

Look, I know you're fucking embarassed that you don't know what the term meant and went online to look all of this shit up and try to save face.
But stop it.
You'll just end up fucking confusing everyone so you can spare your own damned ego.

It's like tone. It's a real thing, but the fucktards online and everywhere else try to demonize so as to make themselves seem more knowledgeable about fitness and diet then they really are.

>common knowledge

starvation mode occurs when you don't eat for like 70-96h

>1700kcal is not low enough to force the body into any "starvation mode". It's a fucking meme anyway.
BS. Am a 5'5 manlet and I lost weight while eating on 2.2k cals. Now I am down to 1.6k and still losing it.

Im on a cut on 2100 cals, keep workingout, keep on a calorif defficit. It takes time to actually lower bodyfat, remember its 3500 calories to loose 1lb of fat. Be patient and consistent.

the great thing about it is if you're a fat faggot like most dieters you never enter starvation mode because you have a fuckload of reserves.

you don't have to worry about 'muh metabolic damage' until you're below 20% BF.

you lost some water, then you gained it back. understand, that you are not here to lose "weight" but to lose FAT. there's no way in hell you are gaining fat at 1700 kcal (if you're counting right ofc) so stop fucking panicking and keep cutting. also, you don't lose fat that fast, you may lose like 2-4 pounds a week of FAT! i have at my best lost almost 10 pounds in one night, but that was all water and in 3 days i had gained it all back, so understand that water can fluctuate ALOT and dont go by scale all the time