overhand
>cant progress with overhand
mixed
>stop being retarded
hook/straps

Straps

>Doing deadlifts

Overhand until it starts slipping.
Then change to mixed grip, hook grip or straps.
It really doesn't matter. They all have their downsides.
Mixed grip gives you potential to tear a bicep if you fuck up form by accident.
Hook grip hurts like a bitch (btw I honestly don't believe any of the hook grip advocates on Veeky Forums deadlift heavy with hook grip. and i wont believe it unless they prove it)
Straps mean you basically have to do additional grip training if you don't want your grip strength to lag FAR behind your deadlift weights.

And also, anyone who tells you not to use anything but double overhand even at the expense of stopping yourself progressing your deadlifts, is wrong and a faggot.

why do i have a feel if i use hookgrip i will break my fucking thumb

I literally don't get the point of hookgrip

All these retarded memespouts saying hook grip.

Litereally only George mememan uses hook grip for deadlifts because hes an edgecore faggot.

>smith machine
Fucking DROPPED

not creating an imbalance like the mixed grip

Hook Grip does kinda hurt for awhile but after a few sessions it goes away. It mainly takes grip out of the equation, there's a reason every Oly athlete ever uses it.

that's just your mind being a faggot, your body will be fine.

>Every Olympic lifter

Double undergrip

>thread is about deadlifting not olympic lifting

Theres a reason you fannys. Deadifting uses considerably more weight than olympic lifting.

I don't believe any of the people in here advocating hook grip actually use it for deadlifting. Or at least if they do, I don't believe they deadlift much weight.

We mention olympic lifters because it works for thrm without "tearing their thumbs off" or whatever.

Furthermore, several people on youtube such as Omar Isuf and Alan Thrall use/recommend it because they have had problems with mixed grip like a lot of people.

Use whatever the fuck you want we're just suggesting trying it out

Overhand hook grip is almost cheating
Try pulling more than 3pl8
I don't get what you are saying. It is still my own hands, alone, that are gripping the bar and holding it in place. You sound like an underweight climberfag proud of his spit chewing gym walls and his 2.5pl8 thumbless DL

They use friction tape in addition to hook grip.

Also, they rarely pull over four plates.

So use the tape

just try both and use what you faggots like ffs. There's no laid out rules for deadlifting grip

Tldr
>enjoy thumbs that look like chicken thighs

In Olympic weightlifting, the hook grip is a method of holding a barbell by gripping the thumb between the barbell and the remaining fingers. It can be used in multiple weightlifting events, including the snatch and the clean and jerk. It can also be used in powerlifting, in the deadlift, for example. When used in the deadlift, the hook grip has a number of advantages. Traditionally, men and women tend to use a "mixed" grip when working with heavy loads on the deadlift, that is, one hand being supine and the other prone. This mixed grip creates an imbalance of the shoulders, with one shoulder being externally rotated and the other internally rotated, respectively. This difference in rotation between the shoulders can create imbalances in the muscles of the back over time. Another advantage of the hook grip over the mixed grip is a reduced risk of tearing the skin of the palm, since the tension of the barbell is placed on the thumb rather than rolling towards the crease of your fingers.

The hook grip is more secure than grips in which the thumb remains outside the other fingers, like the closed grip or the natural grip. During a snatch or clean, the lifter can exert forces up to 2-3 times the weight of the loaded barbell at rest, and the hook grip allows an athlete to maintain a grip on the bar during the phase of highest bar acceleration, the second pull. The hook grip does this by preventing the bar from rolling in the hands, whereas the bar would have a tendency to roll towards the fingertips in a normal overhand grip.[1]

The hook grip places a relatively large amount of pressure on the thumb. As a result, it may cause pain or injury to the skin or thumbnail, although this can be overcome by regular training and gradually working with heavier loads. It generally takes up to 2 weeks to grow accustomed to the hook grip.[2] Many Olympic weightlifters tape their thumbs with athletic tape.[1]

This is such a bullshit meme.

There is absolutely no way you would tear a bicep deadlifting with mixed grip unless you're lifting weight you should not be lifting in the first place.

for quick transition into curls

>Dom pls....

you havent seen the bicep tear vid yet, have you?

I curl my DL 1RM for sets of 12.

Overhand. I overhand 4 plate for 5 reps before my hands are absolutely wrecked. I treat deadlifts as a grip exercise until I get to the point where I'm forced to use straps.

I try to scale my grip gains with deadlift gains, I've found I can hold my 5rm without straps, and even my 3rm. I don't 1rm test my grip though, because there's no point.

I used to only be able to overhand 120kg for 5, and I thought I was badass. Keep going user. Use straps when you can't hold it anymore, but make sure to keep training that grip.

I'd rather not run the risk of fucking my shit up

>TFW grip slipping on 215 deadliftS

What do

People clean that weight and us hook grip, they definitely can deadlift more

I'm sort of similar. I've just started a new deadlift programme which I'm using straps for but I'm adding in another session of axle deads.
My double overhand with an axle is 150kg at the minute, I'm aiming for 4pl8 which would be really good

>tear a bicep
>on a deadlift
how much do you have to fuck up to fucking tear your biceps while doing the diddy?
Even if you start curling your arms for some dumb reason you should notice you're not getting the weight up and just relax them again.

mnixed grip. If you're already doing that use straps.

To be honest you're more likely to injure yourself if you're using straps. A lot of people pull something when using straps because you don't have the same ability to just drop it when you feel something start going

But it's so low, everyone always says do double over hand until like 315 or higher

>straps for 215
No. Fucking stupid idea
Use mixed grip mate, do additional grip work if you're worried

Axles are mostly a cheat user, starting from that higher position means less pressure over time on your hands/fingers as you stand up to complete the rep.

hyper extension at at the elbow when lifting too much weight can tear the tendon holding your bicep to the proximal radial-ulnar cubital fossa, and the bicep retracts up into your arm near the humerus proximal humerus.

Also it's not like extra grip training is difficult or anything. Do some extra farmers walks, shrugs, Romanians: all exercises you absolutely should already be doing.

Axle deadlift doesn't imply a higher starting position you utter lizard
You're thinking of a tyre deadlift. An axle is just a thicker, usually smooth bar

>Use mixed grip mate, do additional grip work if you're worried

I am considering it but should i just do static holds?

nope.

Try using liquid chalk. Don't forget the hands produce oils naturally. Not only are your own hands oily, you also have to contend with the various skin/hair oils and sweat of 1000 lifters before you.

Just do mixed grip and switch the hand each time. DO NOT go too long without switching, even if you prefer one side. It'll make it very hard to switch the longer you go.

>nope
>I know better than everyone else because Veeky Forums
>advocates liquid chalk over real chalk

Sort your life out mate. There's nothing wrong with mixed grip

Just listen for a second. The reason people tear their biceps using mixed grip is because they deadlift for a long time using double overhand...progressing in weight to 400, 500, 600+ pounds...and then when they notice their grip slipping on their max pulls they think "well mixed grip is supposed to help that" and THEN THEY TRY THEIR MAX PULL OF 600+ LBS WITH MIXED GRIP HAVING NEVER USED IT BEFORE.

That's why people get muscle tears using mixed grip. If they had trained mixed grip the whole time there is simply no way that would happen. Their muscles would have already acclimated to it.

I don't know why I bother posting here, you people don't know what you're talking about and you don't listen to the people who do.

Are there alternatives for chalk? My gym doesn't allow it.
My palms get super sweaty when DLing and I have to set the bar down and regrip after like 6 reps.

Straps if you want, but you absolutely need to do extra grip work if you're using them
I recommed the figure 8 ones, they're a lot better and easier.

> you people don't know what you're talking about and you don't listen to the people who do.

someone screenshot this, i have never seen a more fitting description of Veeky Forums in all my time here

Hey man, some people have different names for things. Frankly, axle deadlifts are mostly known from strongman lifts, where they use larger weights or tires.
I could melt chocolates in a microwave and call it a hot chocolate, but you would probably be thinking of something else if I said it was hot chocolate.

I have straps but I really don't wanna use them yet because my deadlift is still pretty shit (120kg)

youtu.be/pZgxkE-2QAw

Train your grip. Do farmers walks twice a week.

Also you'll get juicy forearms which girls love

Works the core too

Static holds is literally grip work

I do strongman mate
If I meant pulling from a higher position I'd have specified, but considering I was talking about double overhand with 150kg it's fairly heavily implied I was talking about standard height.

Aside from lopsided posture that is absolutely NOT beneficial for a new lifter who hasn't developed the fine proprioception ability required for good form.

I advocate liquid chalk because most gyms don't allow normal chalk. Just because your crossfit trainer said mixed grips are cool it doesn't make you an expert when it comes to teaching noobs.

>Static holds is literally grip work

Yes I know, I'm asking if i should focus on those instead of switching to mixed grip

Hook grip and clean it, you fucking pussy.

what are good grip strength exercise?

>Do farmers walks twice a week.
They're literally more taxing than deadlifts. You're walking with probably a fair bit more than your deadlift max, it knackers you out. Once a week is easily enough

Strongmen compete with axle deadlifts from a higher starting position. By convention you should specify when it's at the standard barbell height instead of raised.

Weighted pullups and deadlifts are all I do concerning grip

when doing mixed, do you guys alternate which hand is over/under between sets, or am I just an ocd-lord?

>Strongmen compete with axle deadlifts from a higher starting position.
Not all the time. Axles are used for a higher starting position because they don't bend, but standard axle deadlifts aren't rare, especially when you're talking about training lifts
Also, a deadlift is always a standard height lift unless stated otherwise

Can you do farmers walks with dumbells?

how do I ease into hookgrip? I'm diddlying nearly 4pl8 but I'm scared to try it even on 1pl8

overhand then straps

I'd like to see you do them with barbells

Hookgrip is a fucking meme. Don't roid and you'll never have a problem with mixed grip. Use straps if your grip becomes tired during a heavy deadlift day.

You can use a paper towel. You look a bit retarded wrapping the paper towel around the bar to grab it, but it does the trick.

Dumbells are pretty sub optimal for farmers
You need the proper handles really

>95lbs dl

My gym doesn't have those farmer walk contraptions

Use dbs then, they'll do but you'll progress past them very quickly unless your gym has stupidly heavy dumbells.
Farmers are something you have to go as heavy as possible on IMO

I started using mixed grip around 130 kg for 5. I could do all reps with double overhand but the slippage was real, and I just didn't have the patience to sort through grip issues because I wanted to move up in weight.

no
if u bend ur elbow holding 600+ lbs ur tendon can pop not matter how stronk u is

Given the thousands of lifters who pull that with mixed grip and don't get bicep tears, it's not that much of a risk.

And this is why I will never use alternating grip. Rather use straps and do extra grip work to compensate

>Given the thousands of lifters who pull that with mixed grip and don't get bicep tears, it's not that much of a risk

Only takes once, point being it can easily happen AT LEAST ONCE over 300+ deadlift sessions spanning over years.

>Overhand or mixed grip for deadlifts?

Overhand for warmup sets/accessory deadlifts

Mixed grip for max sets

but what about clarence
youtube.com/watch?v=S7ZZSpSSm68&ab_channel=clarence0

He's pretty interesting because he pulls pretty big weights but really differently to most other big deadlifters. He's really slow off the floor and speeds up past the knees, which is the opposite of most lifters

I'd use hook grip but I have little baby sized lady hands so it isn't really a viable option.

Because he pulls with a straight back which has less leverage off the floor and amazing leverage for locking out, most lifters deadlift with a little rounding when it gets heavy which has great leverage off the floor but terrible for locking out.

??? how can you be that much of a bitch?

Why is it a meme?

>trying new deadlift routine
>today's session was 3x10 with 165kg
>next week 3x8 with 175
This is gonna be fun lads. I'm going beltless as far as possible but I'm using straps because I have grip training another day

I don't want to hurt my delicate thumbs

>Not double overhand for quick transition to wrist curls

lmao pleb

Overhand unless you're going for a max or on your last reps on a heavy weight.

If you're always using hook grip you're robbing yourself of actually getting stronger.

What kinds of grip strength gains do you guys see with farmers walks? What's the timescale like for serious improvements?

After a few sessions you'll see improvement.
A good standard to aim for is 1.25xbw in each hand for 20m or so.