QTDDTOT - Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Last thread died, here's the new one.

I've got two questions of my own.
1) It's been shown that increased testosterone decreases lifespan, for example eunuchs live much longer than normal men. Also, it has been shown that increasing your muscle mass increases your testosterone. It therefore follows that lifting will shorten your life. So why do we do it?
2) Instant oats - acceptable or utter shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

ergo-log.com/elite-athletes-live-longer.html
ergo-log.com/running-just-5-to-10-minutes-a-day-will-lengthen-your-life.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Would you rather live to 50 as a billionaire or 75 as a poor loser?

>1) It's been shown that increased testosterone decreases lifespan, for example eunuchs live much longer than normal men. Also, it has been shown that increasing your muscle mass increases your testosterone. It therefore follows that lifting will shorten your life. So why do we do it?
both those statements seem questionable. either way, I'd argue that living as long as possible is not to goal. what you want is to live as many quality years as possible, and lifting will keep you strong, active and healthy as you get older.

>So why do we do it?
Because life is pain
>Instant oats - acceptable or utter shit?
They're ok but rolled or steel-cut are better

it is not as easy as that user

there are many things that can increase lifespan and reduce mortality

ergo-log.com/elite-athletes-live-longer.html
ergo-log.com/running-just-5-to-10-minutes-a-day-will-lengthen-your-life.html

from the thing that you can see here, 80 minutes would be enough to not lower your test dramatically. but it would decrease the chance for heart thing mortality by 25%.

Creatine is designed to retain muscle mass, correct?

But does creatine add fat to your body? For example, will my gut expand/look bigger?

Will I have more, less, or about the same level of body fat after a month on creatine?

Thanks

Increased muscle increases your metabolism which causes you to have lower bodyfat which is correlated to living longer. Cardio is the most important factor though.

OK so what's the consensus on ab accessories with beginner routines (SS, SL, Greyskull and similar)? I know Rippletoe says that compound lifts provide all the core work novices need but is he correct?

6'2" 170lb skeleton here

how can i hit ~3500 calories a day without just eating a shit ton of carbs/fats? does it matter that much?

in terms of high-protein foods that i currently eat, i drink 2 shakes a day/peanuts/peanut butter sandwich/eggs/chicken burrito from chipotle.

i switch out some of these things depending on the day

Creatine will increase water retention and make you look more bloated. However thus is mostly in muscle tissue so it's not that bad.

HMB and to a lesser extent leucine and other BCAAs will help you retain muscle mass, creatine helps with endurance, recovery between sets and increasing reps. For a few reasons I'm no longer using it when cutting but it depends on what you're trying to do in the end.

Oh and obviously loss of glycogen will make your muscles look smaller on a cut and creatine can stop this somewhat but For myself this is pointless.

I can't fucking squat doesn't matter how i do fucking HELP ME. I just cant do the fucking motion and just fucking touch my knees with my torso every fucking time

Beginner routines really should be kept simple, if you want something more take up a sport or something endurance-y on the side.

Eat plenty of fish because they have the fats your nervous system craves. Some people will tell you you can eat just junk and it doesn't matter but limit fast processed food as much as possible, eating clean is still better than eating shit (tho junk food can be better than nothing). Milk is also good for most baby mammals to grow into 200 lb adults.

Goblet squats. In deadlift dynamite Tsatsouline has some routines to do in front of a wall too.

Why bulk and cut over just eating at maintenance constantly? If I hypothetically didn't care about the taste or monotony of eating the same meal every day of my life, would I still behind and bulk and cut lifter?

i started lifting for the first time a week ago, picked 2 dumbbells of 22lbs each for squatting

my main concern is that my hands hurt a lot, to the point that i cant do the sets because it hurts too much

is this normal for a begginer or should i worry?

Guys I'm a fat fucking loser. I went to go have a snack, a quest bar and a bananna, well that fucking turned into a pb and j, with a shitload of peanut butter, the banana, the quest bar with peanut butter on top of it, and two pieces of cookie cake.

I couldn't control myself.... I came close to forcing myself to throw up because I felt like such a fuckup before I came to my senses.

How can I fix this? What can I do to not be so weak and pathetic Veeky Forums? I'm sick of this endless cycle.

I should add that it's not my choice to have this food around the house, I always try to get my folks to support my goals and they might do it for awhile but then after like 2 shopping trips they come home with cake and ice cream and peanut butter

"Cardio kills gains."

What's the deal with this, really? Is it just that cardio burns extra calories, so if you are trying to bulk, you'd need to bump up your food intake to match? Or is there more to it than that?

I've recently taken up cycling as a side hobby. I LIKE doing it, and I want to do it more. But I'm going to start a bulk in about a month and wondering what it will do to that.

>shaper mind

You need them extra calories and proteins to get them gainz man. The whole point of bulking is to max muscle growth, then you cut to get rid of excess fat. Eating at maintenance will keep you where you are currently at, but it will be very challenging to gain any mass.

There's a reason it's so popular to train like this. It's been tried, and tried again and always proves superior.

Stop being such a faggot and just dont eat it you disgusting fuck.

Think of it like this: if you have a caloric surplus, you will gain mass. If you have a caloric deficit, you will lose mass. Doing extended periods of cardio will burn off all the extra calories you are putting in your body making it more challenging to convert it to muscle.

Cardio is still important because you still want that good heart health, so that's why jump ropes/sprints/sled pulls are so apparent in the weightlifting community. Cycling is good for you, but if you're trying to bulk just be sure you're eating enough or you're not going to go anywhere.

Lower weight

How much can i run in a week without killing my gainz?

If it's the motion you're having troubles with, try squatting with just the bar, or throw on some dimes or quarters. Watch tutorials on youtube, and stretch. You're leaving it kinda vague as to why you're incapable of doing the motion, but doing a combination of all this should fix your problem. Don't be ashamed to squat with low weight brah. Quarter squats with 315 is a hell of a lot shittier than 135 for both the gainz and your joints brah

Calories in VS Calories out. It varies from person to person.

You can do either.

>my main concern is that my hands hurt a lot, to the point that i cant do the sets because it hurts too much
Too vague to say anything about but very likely remediable.

We must identify the cause of the mental tangle you are in. I'll take a stab at it:
You are not a loser. You may well be (probably are) fat tho. You do not have to be fat, you do not deserve to be fat (or at least not forever). If you wish to be fit you deserve that. You have only to take ownership of your own lifestyle and often the first step is feeling you deserve it.

Try not to get stuck in the I am fat -> because I over eat -> so I deserve to be fat -> so I may as well overeat> which means I am fat etc etc loop (if that's what's going on)

low test = skipped legs day
high test = skipped calf days

If its your grip that's shitting out on you, try some grip exercisers. Make sure that when you're deadlifting that you do double-overhand as much as you can before switching to mixed grip. It will help your grip a lot. If you're still having troubles, invest in some chalk or straps. Just be sure you're not using straps for the exercises that are supposed to be working your grip, and only use them when you absolutely need to.

I'm a former fatass, well still struggling I still have more fat than I want on me but somewhat fit. Previously 5'11 240lbs currently 5'11 183 lbs. I love lifting weights and exercising it's just I lose control sometimes. It's caused me to stall progress at my current weight for like 6 months now because I think I'm getting to the point where I can't outlift these binges anymore.

I think what you still said applies though. I just need to remind myself of what I'm trying to accomplish and I'm going to try thinking that way

i get 20 free swimming pool entree
any "swimming pool" workout suggestion?

Just swim laps brah. You wont get the gains liek you will at the gym tho.

Are you serious? I'm 21 and I'd rather live to 30 as a billionaire than 75 as a poor loser.

how do i get a "shaper mind"

Good luck bro, you can make it. That's a lot of good work right there already.

How bad is sugar if you're bulking? I'm a confused skele looking for calories wherever but I vaguely recall hearing something about sugar metabolizing faster than other foods and turning to fat more easily?

you dont need cardio if you lift 3-4 times a week

Depends what you're doing. It's useful to have some ready glucose in your bloodstream when you lift. Post training it's also good to have some high GI carbs (esp if you're doing lifting or hiit. It helps stop muscle soreness)

If you're worried about just spiking insulin (btw this isn't going to make you fat tho it can fuck up a keto diet, overeating is what makes you gain weight) then smaller amounts spread out over a longer period will stop this happening.

ab works is accessory - just visit SS website and they will tell u what addtional ab things

id rather end my life right fucking now than living one more year this way

wtf are these for

I assume it's for adjusting the butt part of the seat, those usually tilt up and down a bit too. Wouldn't touch one of those pieces of crap tho if you paid me.

only the large part is adjustable and they're far too weak to bear any load

If I've been cutting for

The whole thing is far too weak to bear any load imo. 200 kg limit including user is p poor.

And in that case I dread to think but I would guess something to do with attachments. Like it lines it up in a multi gym or something.

>6 months*

It's storage to hold cardio bunny Dumbbells

So, I was thinking about getting started with parcours. Anyone got an idea how to start? What to think about?

>6'
>176lbs

wtf yes skelly it is time to eat, start lifting and start gaining. post pics to be sure tho

You need to eat above maintenance to gain muscle, theoretically if you ate the perfect number of calories (depending on genetics + the amount you burn) you could gain muscle without fat but this is realistically impossible. Therefore you must bulk to maximise gainz.

what supplement makes my cum thicker

>Shaper Mind
Every fucking time.

I still look like shit is the problem

belly skin went to shit after dropping the bulk of the weight and it makes it impossible to really tell how good I'm looking anymore.

I definitely lost a lot of muscle mass in the lead up and recovery stages from surgery so now I'm neither slim nor swole.

Am I ready to eat yet?

What's a good fruit to throw into a smoothie to cut the bitterness of plain greek yogurt? Probably gonna have peanut butter and milk in it as well.

>So why do we do it?
Quality of life > quantity and being awesome > being long-lived.

Cycling should be fine. Running involves a lot of eccentric loading and can beat you up a bit if you're not accustomed to it. Also, running injuries are a huge pain in the ass.

pic related

Banana (goes well with peanut butter), strawberries/blueberries/mango (less so.). Better frozen than fresh, for smoothie purposes.

here's a pic of me in the hole of a squat
is my torso angle too upright for a low bar squat?
and does this look like buttwink to you guys?

Plates under heels is not very safe and a bit rough on the feet. You could maybe stand to lean over a bit more, but that's a high effective heel, so maybe not.

Are you me? I'm about the same weight as you but I want to stop cutting when i become shredded(or at least have good looking abs at rest).

I wouldn't say im a skelly, I'm actually looking kinda swole at 79 kgs.

Why can't I keep being in a caloric deficit? I thought fitness people thought being over 15% was considered fat.

Are those cushioned sole shoes? Might be a stupid question but I lift barefoot and have no recognition of lifting shoes outside of chucks/slippers/a couple of popular "lifting shoes"

Is it okay to not progress in weights when you are not bulking?

yea I know, I just have shit ankle mobility and super tight hipflexors due to uneven leg length that I'm trying to temporarily compensate for

they're vans so I don't believe they're cushioned

Yeah I hear vans are fine.

What protein supplement do you take? I'm looking for quality and relatively low price.

myprotein is #1 for price and quality
be warned when picking out some of the crazier flavors, they most likely taste like ass
I would stick with chocolate

What is the name of the lines which run down a guys hips to the public area? Is having that body fat related or certain muscles? Also what does creatine do?

I'm 5'7 and weigh 139 pounds right now. What should be optimal weight?

Can someone recommend set/rep schemes for below work-outs?

A

Main:
Squat
OHP
Chin-up

Assistance:
Calf raise
Lateral raise
Shrugs
Planks

B

Main:
Deadlift
Bench
Row

Assistance:
Ham Curl
Incline chest press
BB Curl
Planks

AxBxAxBxA...

your weight right now seems pretty good, but weight isn't everything

someone who is 5'7, 139 lbs at 20% bf will look VASTLY different from someone whose the same height and weight but 10% bf

>I just have shit ankle mobility and super tight hipflexors
Pretty sure that's not a real thing. If you have a measured leg length discrepancy, you can shim the shoe on the short leg.

Seconding Myprotein.

Depends on your goals and your current level of training advancement.

>Pretty sure that's not a real thing. If you have a measured leg length discrepancy, you can shim the shoe on the short leg.

my right leg is longer than the left which caused my pelvis over time to distort and tilt a bit to make up for the discrepency, that's why everything is all tight

but yea I can put something in my shoe to make up for it and I've been stretching and foam rolling ever since I found out 3 weeks ago

>Depends on your goals and your current level of training advancement.
Just want to put on muscle, currently on a 500kcal cut. 183cm/6ft, 100kg/225lbs about 28%BF. Have been training for 3 months. Have to up weights every other session instead of every session, now.

Thanks bros. Just wanted to know whether I should be losing weight, gaining weight, or maintaining weight. I'll just keep this weight while lifting then.

Favourite flavour of whey?
I'm really undecided.
I heard unflavoured is bitter, was thinking of moca, or just plain chocolate
looking for something that isnt too heavy
gonna use it in smoothies with milk and some fruit

Is deadlifting really that essential?

if muscles grow during sleep, shouldn't you lift close to bedtime?

depends on your goals

When should I switch from this 5x5 beginner routine to something more advanced?

what are your lifts?

Unfortunately I have to eat at Panda Express for dinner. What should I get? I was thinking brown rice and then their grilled teriyaki chicken.

didn`t saw this QTDDTOT and created my own oh well fk it

>also my question:
i`m having trouble gaining chest, if i do 3 chest days per week like (chest/bicep-legs/shoulders-chest/bicep-tricep/back-chest/bicep) will i have positive gains or negative gains due to overtraining?

ty in advance

I do an ab routine every day as a warmup

>Russian twist (2 sets of 30), plank (1 minute), and hanging leg raises (3 sets of 10).

My abs don't feel too exhausted after, even though I notice my tum fat is slowly burning off. Does that mean I should do more? If so what should my ab routine look like?

hello, 340lb to 160lb here, i have a roaring hunger that never quits so i know your pain somewhat.

This mode. I'm 5'9, 145. I want to get to at least 165 or maybe 175 or 180/85.

In the words of Carl from aqua teen hunger force it's better to go out in a blaze of glory than fizzle out

I dont know, it's a really good exercise both for strenght and muscle.
depends on the routine you wanna go with.
as a beginner you should stick to as simple as possible

I started on just just the bar for everything except barbell row which I started on 30 and have been adding 2.5kg each workout, so arm:

Squat - 45kg
Bench - 30kg
Barbell row- 40kg
Ohp - 30kg

I'm missing out deadlifts atm because I have mild scoliosis and I'm trying to fix that before I start again. I was also wondering what things I could do to supplement it. At the moment only the squat and ohp feel heavy, the ohp much more so, the other two are pretty easy so I think I'm a way off from my max. I'm also doing a arm hypertrophy routine given to me by my physio which has decline shoulder press x 20, lateral arm raises x20, and curls x 16

Am I doin I right here?

Are deload weeks a meme or importanto

Also I do these two core sequences with kettle bells every day which include sit-ups and swings and all sorts of whacky fun time exercises,i enjoy them

You shouldn't worry about intermediate for a very long while, just keep lifting.
That arm hypertrophy might be hindering your progress, as a beginner compounds work the arms enough.
what routine are you doing for the main lifts?
height/weight

I've read that fapping right after a workout is good. I don't know why it's good, but I read and heard from people that it is. Is it? You guys are a bunch of homo fags, so you should know.

>losing precious protein

Height -5'8"
Weight-63kg/138lbs

I do squat every day, then one day bench press and barbell row, and the other just ohp. What should I replace the deadlift with?

Also why would the hypertrophy thing hinder me?

>Just want to put on muscle, currently on a 500kcal cut
Well, there's your first problem.

Unflavored is a bit groce. Chocolate is fine. I've tried several of their fruit flavors b/c they were on sale; they're tolerable, but a bit chemical-tasting.

>brown rice
meme
But yea, white rice (or brown if you absolutely insist), steamed vegetables, grilled teriyaki chicken.

Depends on your training structure, level of training advancement, goals, life situation, etc. It's probably a good idea to take a light week if, e.g., you're sick or under a lot of stress.

It's not that great senpai.

i-is planet fitness really that bad? I'm cutting now (started 6'3-285lbs july9th, 270 now), and I've been going walking to planet fitness, working out for maybe 30mins and then walking back. it's about a 40min walk there and back. I'm doing mostly cardio but some bicep curls, shoulder press, etc to try to build up some muscle before I start hardcore lifting, also maybe to avoid loose skin.

is this a waste of time and I should focus on cardio only or is it a good idea??

I picked up their chocolate orange and that's pretty good. I also tried the natural banana, which isn't bad either.

Ab rollouts are like plank+

I'm closing in.
It's now between mocha and chocolate
I'm leaning slightly towards mocha since I tried choco in the past and it was a bit too much

you could be overtraining your arms or just making them too tired to then perform with the barbell lifts
well if your back is not ok then there's not much to replace them with.
try asking your doctor if it would be ok and just get started with empty bar and form.
Maybe do romanian deadlifts to work the glutes and hams. or hyperextensions for the low back

Hold on to something in front of you and get into the position deep with no weight on your back.

Mocha's all right. None of them are all that great in water t b h. But they're tolerable, and the price is right.

My routine has been working for me, but I want to know what you guys think.

I go ABCABCx.

>Chest/Biceps 1
Pushups
Bench Press
Dumbell Press
Dumbell fly
Barbell curl
Hammer curl
Reverse grip barbell curl
Dumbell curl

>Legs/Triceps 1
Leg press
Leg curl
Leg extension
Calf press
Tricep cable pulldown
Skullcrushers
Lying Tricep press
Seated barbell extension

>Back/Shoulders 1
Pull up
Lat Pulldown
Seated Row
Barbell Shrug
Upright row
Dumbell shoulder Press
Dumbell Raise
Lateral raise

>Chest/Biceps 2
Push ups
Bench press
Chest dips
Chest press
Concentration Curl
Dumbell curl
Barbell curl
Reverse grip barbell curl

>Legs/triceps 2
Leg extension
Leg Press
Lunges
Calf press
Tricep press
Lying Overhead dumbell extension
Tricep cable pulldown
Dumbell kickback

>Back/shoulders 2
Dumbell row
Dumbell Shrugs
Bent over barbell row
Close grip pulldown
Ahnuld Press
Lateral raise
Military press
Barbell front raise

Besides squat and diddly, are there any key things I'm missing? I don't squat or deadlift because I'm afraid of having shit posture no matter how many times I make sure it's right and going to snap city.

I know you're supposed to keep your body guessing with different exercises, so I try to do different exercises at the end of the week (2) than I do at the beginning (1).