What's the best thing to improve mid-distance running? (1.5 - 2 miles)

What's the best thing to improve mid-distance running? (1.5 - 2 miles)

Other urls found in this thread:

wattbike.com/uk/heart-rate-and-power-training-zones
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>1.5-2 miles
>mid distance
You're talking low distance runs right now user. Why don't you start with a quarter mile on the elliptical and work your way up.

I would try running fast.

I do 5ks but I need to get faster on my 1.5 mile

How do I get better at ____?
>repetition

>run more
>run faster

What race are you doing where the distance is 1.5 miles?

Military selection

I'm kind of in the same boat, but prepping for 3-mile for USMC PFT.

What's your current time?

12:30 1.5 miles

I honestly don't know why it's so fucking terrible

I feel like I'm running quite fast

Could it be a bad route? It's around my neighborhood on concrete pavement

What time do you need for that?

There are so many resources on how to do this online. Fucking lazy m8. So I'm just going to recommend technique and research.

I would try mid distance running

Sprints

Running is so hard

run more

But there are so many different types of running

Do I do HIIT? Long distance?

yes

I'm not a very experienced middle distance runner but HIIT seems to be your best bet. Seems to be the most efficient in terms of time spent exercising (and less boring than steady state)

Long distance runner/rower here.

I recommend zone training. For cardio gainz you want to make 80% of your weekly training long but relatively easy sessions. If you have a heart rate monitor it's usually up to ~70% of your max heart rate. If you don't have a heart rate monitor a good rule of thumb is you should be able to hold a conversation with a running partner at this pace. This is UT2, in the long term it stimulates vascularisation and your ability to metabolise fats.

Assuming you do this already and get decent weekly mileage you should incorporate speedwork, intense days think HIIT, heart rate close to 100% in short bursts for reps this will improve lactate tolerance (anaerobic threshold). You also want to do a couple of harder workouts where you're pushing up to 85% hr in 10 minute reps but not as hard as the sprint stuff you do.

Basically see this table:

wattbike.com/uk/heart-rate-and-power-training-zones

It's a long process, think of it like a pyramid. Training in zone one lays down the base that you can build from, the bigger the base the higher the pyramid can go. I've been at it for years, current goal is a

Also should say your weekly mileage should reflect the event your training for. I hit ~90-100 miles/week for the marathon but middle distance i think closer to 50 would be better and incorporate more speedwork in zones 3-5.

find someplace to run with hills, it really helps

also find another way to train that gets your VO2max up but isn't as bad on the joints, like rowing or x-country skiing

running faster so you cover more distance in less time.

Which marathon are you running?

Skinnyfat on the cut right now and prepping cardio gains rn. Would three long runs a week and two HIITs a week be too much in your opinion?

Thanks for the info tho boi.
>solid

I want to break 2.30 in the London marathon next year - gives me the time to build up to a it a bit I've been focusing on rowing the past couple of years. I might do a couple before then for training, definitely doing a half in October.

How about 3 long distance 'conversation pace' runs a week, with a best effort 2 mile once a week?

Also what i do is jog for 5 mins then sprint for 30s though out a 10 mile run. Helped my stamina and speed for long distance. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try if you are only focused on short distances

>8 minute mile pace for 26 miles

fuck that

Nice i plan on doing a local marathon this fall. Hoping to finish before 3:30

I think that would be fine, would you be doing that in addition to lifting? Unless you're used to the volume of training it's really easy to overload! Best advice is to listen to your body, you'll know when you start to fatigue you need to take it back a notch.

Basically build up the mileage over time, start off with 45 mins for the long gentle runs and add 5 mins per week till you get to an hour.

It also helps to keep things interesting, as much as I love running it can be a pain on your joints and let's face it, it gets dull and lonely, so I cross train a lot with cycling and rowing.

Pretend a bear is chasing you

Not bad at all m8
I got 12:30 in 2 miles on my last APFT.
You'd be coming in way better than myself.

Isnt 800m technically a middle distance race mate

W-what does he want to do with me?

Fuck

That sounds alright, I'd maybe throw in an extra session which isn't quite maximal effort, zone 5 in the table i linked above, if you have a local track maybe do intervals 8 x 400m hard (but not sprints) with easy jogging between laps.

Why would you run?

good luck mate :) is it your first?

1.5 miles m8 not 2

I need under 10 minutes

Naw did one a few years back and finished in 4;40

I ran 2 miles in 20 minutes yesterday

All gotta start sumwhere

Not gonna say you don't know your shit but I'm pretty sure it's a 2 mile run and to score 90 you need 13:00 minutes

Not American my burger eating friend