Overhead press form

I'm getting lower back pain (like 2 inches up from the SI joint) from overhead press - i think its because i am arching/hyperextending the lower lumbar.

but i can't figure out how to get your head back without arching the back - am i arching the thoracic instead ?

i see people kind of bob forward and back between lock out and bringing it down, and they all say keep neutral spine

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/QWBjwGqVLW0?t=1m43s
t-nation.com/training/are-you-ready-to-overhead-press
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You lean back from your ankles p much rather than from the lumbar back/hips

Just down and do them. Or even better do dumbbells. Completely eliminated all of my shoulder /elbow pain

You need to brace your abdominal muscles, what's happening is your spinal erectors are taking all the load without any help since you probably have weak abs and limited thoracic mobility

In the long term work on abs strength and t-spine mobility. Cues to use during ohp are to brace as if you were going to be punched and to put your shoulder blades in your back pocket, and if they sound the same as cues for deadlift and squat it's because that's how you maintain a neutral spine while doing any loaded movement.

As far as push cues go, try to push into your own jaw. It's paradoxical but your body will know how to get out of the way and the bar path will actually be vertical.

I concur. I do dumbbell clean presses. Much better imo.

thank you. i'm thinking of getting rid of my trainer because he seems not to notice this and i dont want to fuck up my discs.

i might take a week off for soreness to go away and try again

i think you are right all load is going to spinal erectors.

so it sounds like any arch in your back should be through your thoracic. but should be neutra as in dead and squat

do you know a decent trainer in houston

I have the exact same issue OP 10/10 thread for info.

I have another question though for anyone in here, I'm about 2 month in to SL and my Ohp is way lower than the weight for the rest of my lifts, is that normal? Like I'm benching 45kg but can hardly break 25kg over head

I do not but there's plenty of good resources on this online. I train strongman so t-spine mobility and ab strength are key (as is overhead work).

I'd maybe look at kalle beck or Alan thrall's stuff to start. Good assistance movements include goblet or zercher squats as they include elements of keeping abs engaged and t-spine arched.

I don't even barbell bench press anymore. Idk but dumbbells are FAR better for injury prevention when doing presses imo.

I got to play with those Sorinex center mass bells recently. I thought they would be meme bells but they actually are superior to dumbbells in every way. Ironically they are not a good replacement for kettlebells (except maybe for snatches)

ya i was trying to see where the issue was and alan had it in tip #3

youtu.be/QWBjwGqVLW0?t=1m43s

also this seems to indicate shoulder mobility and/or thoracic extension

this would see mean that i should extend from the thoraci rather than the lumbar
t-nation.com/training/are-you-ready-to-overhead-press

i may have to take some time off from deads and squats to to make sure any disc damage heals; unless this soreness is all muscular.

ok SQUEEZE UR ASS AND CORE AT THE SAME TIME LIKE 2 FORCES GOING IN OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS AND THEN IMAGINE IT COLLIDES AND ALL THAT FORCE GOES UP WARDS AND U PRESS HARD AND BREATHE OUT WHEN IT GETS PAST UR FOREHEAD/TOP OF UR HEAD and then u push ur head thru and lock it out bby

oh and use a thumbless grip too

Your head should start almost at the back and go forward through most of the motion

Yes, will more people comment on this post?

Mark Rippetoe says you should sort of lean back before completing the motion, which has helped me prevent the type of pain OP is talking about(I actually just attributed it to my mild scoliosis).

However, others will say you should keep still, but that hurts my back.

Who is right? I trust Mark more, and doing that has helped prevent my back from hurting, but it seems a little silly.

lean back how

i suck at overhead presses sop back. i do like tens or 25s and just look like a bitch

I dislocated my shoulder 10+ years ago and I still get a very weird aching sensation while doing OHP, almost as if I'm bench pressing with bad form.

I really feel as if the lift isn't worth the risk..

anyone else experience something similar?

It's very important to overall strength to do some sort of overhead pressing motion.

Barbells aren't necessarily the best way to do it.

Dumbbells with neutral grip and natural rotation as you press would be ideal.

Failing that a neutral grip log or Swiss bar is better.

same desu

>breathing out while the weight is still in an unstable position

Great advice, i bet you breathe out during deadlifts, too

Yes,, normally... because shoulder muscles are small and weak...

It's more like you shove your hips forward a bit. Your upper back shouldn't really move back much, it just kind of rotates so that your head is out of the way of the bar path. It's important to keep your core and glutes/thighs contracted to keep this position stable. Abs become an important component at heavier weights because of this.

%100 normal. Typical proportion for a moderately experienced lifter is 1pl8(60kg) ohp with a 2pl8(100kg) bench.