Hey fit what is a fun and actually useful martial arts/ self defense discipline?

Hey fit what is a fun and actually useful martial arts/ self defense discipline?

mma

Is it good for someone with 0 background in martial arts? Would it be better to learn a discipline well then get into MMA?

Sure. It's a business m8. They'll have an option for total noobs.

Otherwise can't go wrong with judo or boxing.

MMA
BJJ
Muay Thai
Wrestling

Pretty much anything used in mma. Grappling or wrestling are probably more applicable than striking.

Bjj seems kinda interesting to me but there is absolutely no striking involved with it?

This but add Judo and Boxing to the list.

most mma fighters are trained in more than one discipline. learning to fight for self-defense is impractical anyways, it's much more economical to just give away your wallet if you ever get mugged. for fitness/fun, BJJ wouldn't be my cup of joe but lots of people like it so go for it if it sounds interesting to you. Muay Thai is another option that has striking.

muay thai is awesome.
do muay thai.
but don't overdo it.
3 times a week at max.
you're going to die if you're a beginner.
i nearly died.

Correct. If you want to see how effective it is, look at early ufc fights. BJJ cleaned up against all the other styles alone. Combined with striking, like Muay Thai you have some of the best fighters, like Anderson silva.

Yeah I was actually kinda indecisive between muay thai and bjj even though they are completely different. The thing is muay thai seems fucking dangerous and hardcore. What happened to you as a beginner were you injured?

Gun fu

you shouldn't be injured as a beginner. just make sure to pick good instruction. here are some red flags -
>they give children black belts
>the instructors do not or have never competed
>you can obtain a black belt within a few years

Krav Maga is good if you want to learn a more 'real life' self defence system. I've done it for years and still really enjoy it.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but how fit should one be to start something like muay thai? Does it matter? New lifter here

It's true that it's very effective but it's important to note that early mma tried to make bjj look even better by not bringing people who trained other disciplines at the level of gracie. It's a business after all.

Gunfu.

most people are fat, so many places are designed to teach people who aren't in great shape. you shouldn't be competing if you're not really athletic but you can certainly start learning

jason blaha pls go

Krab magoo is good if you want to get charged for unproven commando RP with no pressure testing

Most the people at my beginner muay thai class are average people, mostly unfit. I am top of the class for lifting and surfing weekends.

Someone found the KM Mcdojo. We pressure test plenty. If it doesn't work under pressure what's the point? Try sticking with something longer than a month before commenting on an entire system.

I second this.

Lmao meme maga. Do a martial art that you see used in real MMA fights like BJJ or muay thai. And please don't post that shitty "but Krav maga cant be used in mma because its too lethal" argument.

Please explain your means of pressure testing.

You can't really do Anything to prepare for it your honestly just best goin and doing it

OP specifically said he wants to do it for fun/self defense. it literally doesn't matter what discipline you do (so long as it's an actual art) for self defense, a trained fighter will beat an untrained fighter in most cases. either way that takes several years anyways, like I said earlier, it's much more economical to just be ready to part with your wallet

Why would I pick something solely based on mma? I like KM bc it deals with problems outside of a safe, referreed environment. It can be extremely lethal but it's not designed to be held back by rules like the cage. Stick, knife, gun, multiple attacker scenarios, public transport, pool/water self defence are not covered in mma training my man.

My view on it is that MMA is proven, Krav Maga is not. If someone has a knife or a gun, you should be running, not fighting.

They're not covered in krabby magoo either

Learn/train a technique then apply it with your partner, then do the same thing starting with your eyes shut so you don't know when the attack will start, then grab another person and have 2 people come at you. Depending on ability you could have 4-5 skilled attackers coming at you, gloveless and having a decent crack at you. That's just one example. Don't know why you're ao against it? We you no good at handling more than 1 person squaring up to you?

Are you serious mate? You literally have no idea what KM is. They are certainly covered.

Sounds extremely fake. Fighting a gorup of untrained fighters may be possible, but fighting more than 1 person who knows anything? I am skeptical, it sounds like choreography.

What? The entire Israeli army and MuLTIPlE special forces around the world using it isn't proving it? Come on man.....
And running is the best defence for sure, but it's not always an option. Better to have the knowledge and not need it that be caught out. Not Picking a self defence system based on Tha fact that it deals with some things you're not comfortable doing isn't a very strong argument to not do it.

Te way to manage a multiple attacker scenario mate is to keep moving and continually line the heads up of your attackers. If they can't reach you they can't make a decent attack. One of the first lessons you'd learn In any decent class is to keep moving. You stand still you'll get hit from every angle, move quickly and you're never in the middle of the group.

shooting

Thats a drill, not pressure testing m8.

I know i can TKO someone with a back kick to the liver because I've done it to someone trying to knock me out. I know I can triangle choke someone who has me in side control because I've done it to someone who was trying to dislocate my shoulder from side control.

That is pressure testing. Applying the technique to an opponent actively trying to hurt you.

How often does a person in the army fight hand to hand?

I believe krav maga teaches good strategies in real life situations, but the actual technique behind striking/grappling is behind other disciplines imo.

What? Did you miss the part where is said 4-5 people coming at you looking to hit you?
I don't really care if you don't rate KM mate. That's your opinion but if your argument against it that you're never put under the pump during training then you are grossly mistaken. I've misjudged my timings and been hit square in the face multiple times, I've nearly had
My groin guard cracked from a decent kick, I've been beaten up and loved it. To each their own

Boxing. Boxing is the most bang for your buck, boxing will make it the easiest to take down stronger and heavier people, boxing will give you a fighting chance when you're outnumbered.

Boxing is the only martial art here that doesn't require five years of training to be able to fight two or three people on the street and not die or get fucked up.

Maybe muay thai but clinching is not a good idea in most street fights.

Krav Maga or BJJ. I'd go with whichever is closer/cheaper.

At the highest professional levels, BJJ is probably better than Krav Maga, but probably 99% chance neither you nor anybody you'll ever actually fight will actually be at that level. For most people, arguing which is better would be like two fedora wearing fatties arguing over whether low bar or high bar squats are better, as if either of them will ever squat more than 2pl8 in their entire lives.

If you're out of options then hand to hand it is. They are behind in grappling etc, I'll admit that. It's way in front of the other scenarios I mentioned earlier so it's a trade off I guess. Plus the ground is the worst place to find yourself in a street situation so being great on the ground and loving being there wi get your head stomped in.

OP would most definitely not be served well by krav maga, most places that teach it are scams, the system itself is not very useful if you suck at striking to begin with or don't know how to control space.

Most people who take krav maga classes are little housewives who post to their intsagram and facebuuk about how tough they are.

If you can't manage multiple attackers within 3 months of KM change schools

>he feel for the military meme
Top kek m8.

Keysi fighting method

KM is a fucking joke, you will get absolutely trashed by dedicated strikers and never get to use any of your retarded wrist locks or defendo bullshit.

There is a reason almost no one in any mm sport uses KM, the purpose of KM is to give confidence to raw recruits and teach them to fight dirty, but it is pretty fucking bad against anyone who knows what they are doing.

Even memeier than krabby magoo

You sound like you've never even taken a class in your life but believe what your dojo instructs you to believe.
You'd be surprised how poorly people's striking deteriorates when there balls are back up inside them and a finger is in their eye.
I'm not fussed if you don't rate it.

>dojo

Are you retarded nigger?
You don't go to a dojo to box unless you're taking a fitness class with a bunch of housewives.
You either join an association or a club, everything else is a scam for suburbanites who want to feel tough.

Bagging a system Youve never tried is retarded you nigger. Go out box a knife and tell me how your 400 push-ups a session hold up.
Once again, I don't care if you don't like it. That's fine. Why do you keep replying with dribble?

Do your homework and don't be scammed? The U.S. have lots of shitty systems. Stick with KMG and you'll be right. They also teach striking man, please stop with your lies. You've never taken a class in your life.

>out box a knife
wew lad

This is america, thankfully we dont have to out box a mexican with a knife.

Pretty sure unless your coach is retarded he has told you idiots to run away from people with weapons because you'll fucking die.

Add

Judo
Boxing
Kyokushin

For the second time, it's not always an option. running is the best option but sometimes you can't.
Again, to repeat myself for you, better to know defences against edged weapons than to have one pulled on you and not know what to do.

>MUH EYE GOUGING
You're only meant to drink the koolaid m8, not bathe in it.

TKD is fun and good for fitness. The sparring is super sporty though, so not really made for self defending. But because you spar a lot you get into the right headspace fast and learn fast. Downside is you don't get any grappling experience.

mostly its a good intro to striking, but you need something else after if you want to street fight.

Owning a gun and being properly trained in its maintenance and safe use.

so? its not like they used even close to the best bjj guy at the early ufcs.

These are my favourite type of threads on Veeky Forums because they immediately break out in arguing and a Krav Maga guy always shows up

I do BJJ at a Gracie-Barra school and love it. I don't necessarily do it to be able to win fights/ defend myself, but that is an added bonus. Obviously pure BJJ vs a pure boxer/ Judo/ wrestler will be more dependent on the differences in size/ weight, skill levels, aggression etc. than demonstrating one martial art being better than another. BJJ is great for grappling; if a muay thai guy can knee you as you come in for a takedown, you're fucked. If you can bum rush a striker and get them down, they're fucked.

As it's already been said, take either MMA, wrestling, BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai and or boxing. These are the most tried and tested martial arts and are proven to work. After a month of BJJ I was able to wreck my buddy who used to always beat me when we grappled. The main immediate benefit that will come from training any martial art is being accustomed to violent physical contact with other people, moving their weight around, getting used to reaction times and stuff like that.

DON'T DO KRAV MAGA. The guy who's been posting the 'oh ya how bout when I poke you in the eye' would get put away by anyone of comparable size with a short amount of training in any of the previously mentioned disciplines. If a guy who has been boxing for 6 months can slip a jab and then counter, what makes you think he can't slip a jab with a finger pointing out? Even if you get the eyepoke, any half decent grappler could still get ahold you.

I have no fucking idea about weapon arts man. Maybe someone who does know can chime in. This should educate you on how2learn2fight.

The /asp/ ///+\\\ system is basically right, but they miss a few good arts.

For striking: Muay thai, Boxing Knockdown Karate, Kickboxing or Sanda/Sanshou
For Grappling: Judo, BJJ, Wrestling or Sambo.

Any one of these, trained competently will make you a much better fighter. If you can train 2, then 1 from each list will blend together well and you'll be set.

BONUS points if you can train more than 1 at a MMA gym with MMA classes aimed at integrating them, and/or if the school is run by ex fighters and has a history of competition success.

Most other martial arts are a waste of your time, or will be aiming at very different goals (artistic aspects>martial aspects).

The only real exception to this rule is Olympic style Taekwondo. It's an incomplete system by itself, but either a background in it OR crosstraining in it (providing it's a competitive school) will improve your outside striking noticeably. Don't choose it over the conventional striking arts though. It's a supplemental art.

OP, just find something that you enjoy, so you'll keep doing it, and that has actual sparring, so you learn instincts.

90% of the people touting their art as awesome have likely never been in a real fight. Being able to take a punch, keep your head about you, and react well is most of the game. And any art that has you actually practicing fighting will help there.

Judo man. You dont want to be throwing punches as you can go to jail. But you can always throw down a charging scumback as a defense and never be prosecuted.

>MMA
>BJJ
>Muay Thai
>all memes are here!

Stop forcing BJJ, you need it only if you want to do MMA. It is useless sheet out of octagon.

Pick one of each:

Striking: Boxing, Muay Thai
Grappling: Wrestling, BJJ

Every other martial art is a meme and is ineffective. These people are glamorizing these martial arts and making them seem almost "mystical" in how effective they are. Putting people down in two seconds and whatnot. It's bullshit. When you fight, you're going to get hit. It's difficult and it hurts. Don't fall for that mcdojo bullshit or any of those "ancient" martial arts. Waste of time and money and you'll end up embarrassed.

>BJJ
>assclimbing "martial art"
>effective
>not bullshit

a gun

>BJJ has been highly prevalent across every mixed martial arts promotion for the past 25 years
>Routinely stifles elite wresters and strikers in the sport
>Numerous street fights in worldstar-esque videos of people defending themselves with BJJ technique in a chaotic environment.

Hehe but it's men fucking each other on the ground

Thank you for this illustration of how to never perform juji-gatame.

>BJJ has been highly prevalent across every mixed martial arts promotion for the past 25 years
Yes, you need assclimbing only in octagon.

>Routinely stifles elite wresters and strikers in the sport
Yes, you need assclimbing only in octagon.

>Numerous street fights in worldstar-esque videos of people defending themselves with BJJ technique in a chaotic environment.
>Learning assclimbing "martial art" only for falling on the ass to asphalt in one-against-one fight
Wow, it's really useful!

I took Daito-Ryu and it was hella fun.

It's use is limited though. I can fuck up any dude who grabs me but outside of that it's impractical.

krav maga

Bjj, wrestling, judo - tried and tested in a ring with rules. PLEASE go to the ground in your next street fight so I never have to hear from your worthless self ever again.
Also, please list your Krav Maga experience so we all know you've never done a day of it in your life but can bag the entire system. Fuck you're a shit cunt.

What kind of shit judoka can't control their balance enough to not fall while throwing? If a skinny-fat sheboon can dump a nigger on his face with a seio-nage anyone can.

Go back to your low percentage LARP, good goy.

This is what you believe? That you're just gonna grab a guy and throw him, then throw his mate then throw the other 4-5 people that are now involved since street fights are rarely 1v1. Then 1 pulls a knife so you're just gonna hip throw him and the blade magically disappears. If your system doesn't deal with weapons and multiple attackers you're not gonna do well in the street.
And I asked you to list your experience in Krav, since you feel your knowledge is enough to bag it. Answer the question Man. I already know it, I just want anyone else reading to see....

It's true >Bjj, wrestling, judo - tried and tested in a ring with rules. PLEASE go to the ground in your next street fight so I never have to hear from your worthless self ever again.

By the way wrestling and judo are still very good because throws are much faster than one-against-one assclimbing techniques.

>I was standing at the end of a line of 60 or 70 people waiting for a train at the Mukae-Machi station (near Kumamoto city, Kumamoto prefecture, Japan), and was reading a paperback. Suddenly, 4 MP men passed through the line nearby me forcibly. When I turned my eyes to them, I found them shouting, “Jap, Jap” repeatedly. One of them grabbed the Japanese man at the front of the line by the collar, pulled the Japanese man toward him. He then made a ring with the pointing finger and the thumb, and struck the nose of the Japanese man with the flipped pointing finger with full force. The man covered his nose with his hands, and stooped down from the pain. The MP men did this to everyone on the line one by one including women. When someone did not stoop down, they delivered another strike. My turn was approaching. While I was wondering about what to do, my turn came. One of the MP men extended his arm trying to grab my lapel. I struck his hand with full force. Their facial expression changed suddenly. The four MP men surrounded me and took me to the middle of Nagaroku Bridge nearby the station. This was not an ordinary fight to me. I had to win this fight to defend the honor of judo. One of them suddenly threw a right straight at my face. I blocked the punch with my left arm, and kicked him in the groin with full force. He crumbled on the spot. When I turned back my head, another huge MP extended his arms and attacked me trying to grab me from behind. I then hit his right arm hard with knife hand, and then threw him into the river by Seoi-nage. The other two were watching this scene in amazement, but charged at me one by one. I delivered a head butt into the face of the third man. He was knocked out. I disposed of the last man by squeezing his balls with full force. Ever since I was in junior high, I have been called Master Groin Squeezer, and had absolute confidence in this technique.
-masahiko kimura (of kimura lock fame )

Dis.
A lot of how can you anatomy talking from my teacher.
>You must fell this way cause coccyx
>You must tense the muscles of your hand this way cause your fingers yadayada
>You must hit xer dis way in the nose cause it causes internal bleeding and broken lacrimal bones yadayada

I have a lot of fun and is very fascinating.

You Sound like you have never been in a fight before :^)

ITT Jewish lies

You should give yourself the chance to learn every combat discipline there is. That makes for a well-balanced opponent.

Boxing for strikes, Judo for throws, Wrestling for takedowns, BJJ for ground-game and submission, anything else for chokes, locks, etc. Kickboxing, savate, Muay Thai and etc for utilizing the elbows, shins, and legs.

>Krav Maga is good if you want to learn a more 'real life' self defence system

Krava Maga is horse shit. You can't properly practice what you're taught in class because you'll just injure people. At least with something like BJJ if you're in a real world situation it's a technique you've actually performed countless times when rolling.

Boxing. Seriously, the sweet science is best science. Join a boxing gym. Preferably one with an old black coach.

>Preferably one with an old black coach
Black people can't fight. Apollo Creed got his ass beat by a white man.
>>>"B-b-b-but Mohammed Ali!"
bitch nigga didn't want to fight in 'nam

Why take up a "martial art" that is literally brain damage over time?

Bjj is useless in a real street fight.

>mfw you get your head stomped into mush by Tyrone's posse while attempting a joint lock

Muay Thai is cool tho

>real world situation
>rolling
lol

not him

(bjj is overrated)

>Don't live in shitstain Murica
>don't need pussy gun strapped to me 24/7
>don't need to carry any weapon
Learned basic boxing/BJJ/Judo
Take my CPP Dutch Shepherd with me everywhere.

Never had a problem that couldn't be solved with words

Ask a purple belt for a competitive roll.

Judo vs wrestling for stand up?

>actually useful martial arts/ self defense discipline?
Literally no one

I can only speak for my dojo but the only disciplines that don't practice disarming people with weapons are the ones solely focused on competition/the sport of it.

That's retarded contrarian bullshit

Even the fruitiest weeb arts put you heads and shoulders over someone untrained. You can stil lose out in experience, of course.