Running "help"

Ran in college, currently coach at a college. Can't guarantee miracles, but I'm willing to answer any general questions.

how do stop my knees from hurting post run

Lately my calves have been feeling super tight after runs, how stop?
Is mid foot striking master race?

That depends on what kind of hurt we're talking. Do your best to describe to me in detail when it starts hurting, where it starts hurting, the duration and level of pain, and when it stops hurting, if at all.

How to get better at running and strength training at the same time?

Best way to increase cardio fitness - > Long slow runs or HIIT?

Doubling down on this

Also, I get intense pain in my peroneal brexis when I run, way more than any part of my calf. Apparently, i overpronate. I also dont have shoes to correct that. Could that be it ?

How do I start running? I want to run 2 miles in 16 minutes, but I can barely run 2 minutes at 6mph before I'm out of breath. Is there a good plan? I'm squatting a lot so my legs get stronger, but I still run slow.

Tight calves, in my experience, can stem from a few issues. One being improper post run routine, make sure you stretch em, roll em, and even ice em if they're rough. Another is improper or old footwear. If they've got more than 500-600 miles on them, or they have holes and breakdown, it's time for a new pair. This may not alleviate the issue immediately, as it will take time to adjust to the new pair. Also, getting used to spikes, flats, or minimalists could rough up the calves for a while. While footstrike can affect the lower legs if it is severe toe or heel strike, generally a runner's gait is what is comfortable for them. I stress proper footwear and maintenance above all.

Why didn't you post the true American goat steeple ?

I'm not really getting out of breath when running at 11-12 km/h on a treadmill and my muscles feel 100% fine (except after a leg day)
what's stopping me first are my shinbones.
can I ignore my hurting shins and keep running or should I take care to not fuck them up?
It usually starts at around 10 minutes.
I'm not fat, 195 lbs at 6'4"
how does treadmill running compare to real running?

thanks mate

It honestly depends on your schedule. I went from hardcore runner to a split schedule, incorporating lifting. I'll lift monday wednesday friday, and go for moderate runs tuesday thursday saturday sunday. This schedule is a good mix that allows me to focus on lifts one day, and still maintain a good aerobic capicity through running the other 4 days of the week. If you're really looking to go big and have the time, it could be beneficial to run in the AM, recover through the day, and lift in the PM, as my athletes sometimes do. Make sure you warm up well before lifting though!

Run gooder

thenks

It depends on what you're looking to achieve. If you want to be able to just go out and run for long periods of time and feel like you can cruise and hold pace, then you definitely have to work on your aerobic capacity with longer sustained runs, and honestly probably throw in some tempo work (by which i mean fartleks, or perhaps taking a middle 20-30 min of your run and increasing the pace). I'd say a staple, apart from tempo runs, would be cruise intervals in which you run for 1000 up to 2 mile intervals at threshold pace with 1 minute rest in between. It isn't necessarily hard, but it is taxing.

A majority of lower leg pain can be alleviated by proper footwear. I can't vouch for you personally, but too many people try to knock out miles and miles wearing nike frees or other minimalist shoes.

there's just a pounding pain in both my knees after running, i go to bed i wake up fine. I'm not a bitch i can take it but i wonder if I'm damaging my knees by doing so

Honestly, it's all about consistency. It may suck for a long time, but if you get yourself running 6-7 days a week, and slowly/safely increase your mileage, you will notice a steady difference. It's all about willpower and grinding my man!

Should I be running on my heels or toes for distance. 5-10k

Will being able to squat 300 lbs for 20 reps make me fast as fuck?

Because I grew up running in HS in Illinois with jager and Derrick, I respect the fools.

i used to run a good bit 4-6 miles but now after like a mile or 1.5 i get a sharp pain in my hip every step, ive looked around and all i hear is that i have a tight IT band, is stretching really the only way to stop this?

Any good way to relieve pain in my ankle after running?
It usually stays for couple days after running

Also any way to prevent this from happening in first place? I generally tend to land on my midfoot, is that bad?

Never ignore pain or discomfort, it only leads to further problems. if you must, switch to low impact cardio for a time while you figure things out: like swimming, biking, or elliptical. Again, I can't claim to know exactly the issue, but I'd take a look at your footwear to begin with, and ask yourself if they are worn out. The treadmill is not the worst thing in the world, especially if it is your only outlet. But there is a reason I don't do all of my or my athletes training on just a treadmill. Go out, run on different (preferably softer) surfaces. Work some hills, feel the air! it can change your outlook too mate.

When I do sprints I have this sharp pain in my left upper quad and at first I thought it was because I wasn't stretching or giving myself a good enough pre workout routine but when I started to stretch and jog a couple of laps and then start my sprints the pain comes back , what's the give OP?

I'd never tell someone to run through pain. i'd suggest biking, swimming, or elliptical until it is figured out. Where exactly on the knees? Patellar tendon? Deeper in the knee? On the sides?

I also even given myself a couple of weeks off from sprints to heal anything but when I start back up the pain comes back

Ideally, the "perfect" footstrike is midsole. But no one is perfect. Generally, most distance runners heel strike, and as long as you have the proper footwear, it wont develop into an issue.

Strength is what builds speed. We have our sprinters in the weightroom all season. But, there is a difference between the right explosiveness and muscle mass, and being too bulky. Look at a lineman vs usain bolt. If you are strong, relatively lean, and have some form of sprint training behind you, you can be fast as fuck. But it isn't just 1 of the 3

Is couch to 5k really a legitimate routine for a non-runner to get into distance running or any other program or technique you would suggest? I may go into an officer training academy in the future and my cardio is absolutely atrocious and honestly quite nervous starting off bad.

This too coach

Where in your hip amigo?

Doing c25k on week 5. Kneels have started to buckle when walking about. Was suggested glute bridges on a previous run thread. Good advice? What else can I do while keeping up with the c25k guide?

Thanks m8

I'm currently running in these. I don't know wether they're for running or not but they're the only sport shoes I have.
Are they fine? I got them when they were like 70% reduced.

Ankle pain, in my experience, has usually been related to some kind of tendonitis. This can be from stopping and starting training frequently, or even something as simple as poor shoe fit or weird tying of the laces. It is a matter of taking care of the pain and trying different shoe fits/models and staying consistent in your training (so long as the pain isnt severe). Midfoot strike isnt bad at all, so dont worry about your stride unless you're deliberately making it uncomfortable for yourself.

Can you describe more accurately where in your quad the pain is located? And is it a sudden sharp pain that lasts or a dull throb?

its on my back outside left hip, like right on the joint towards the booty, it only hurts while running but it always is tight while walking around

For a non-runner, couch to 5k can be great. It seems like a comfortable and steady build up to consistent running without risking injury or overtraining. That said, one that program is done and you feel reasonably confident in your abilities, dont be afraid to safely up your distances and occasionally run harder. If i remember correctly, an APFT time of 13:00 is pretty decent, and that should be totally attainable if you're running decent distances, and pushing the pace for 20-25 minutes in the middle of some runs (by which i mean hovering @ 7min/mile or faster, depending on your level)

on top of the knees?
im not vary smrt

right hurr

Is it normal for my lower back to be sore after running?

Also do expensive running shoes actually matter?

Glute bridges are never a bad thing. But for knees the problem generally tends to stem from the quadriceps or IT bands. If there is a muscular imbalance in your quads, it could be causing your knees to track improperly, thereby causing discomfort. Alternately, inflamed IT bands can be extremely painful. One requires corrective strength training (quads) while the other is simply good stretching, foam rolling, anti inflams, and patience.

If I'm being honest, PUMA doesn't make great running shoes. Those look like indoor soccer or just kicking around shoes to me. Nobody likes to hear it because running shoes are fucking expensive, but a good pair of trainers can do wonders my man.

full house of truth I guess. thanks m8.

Off the top of my head it could be 3 things of varying degrees. IT band syndrome is one, where the band is super tight at the attachment point around your hip. That can be alleviated through stretching, foam rolling, anti inflams, and patience. A second possibility is bursitis, where in your bursa sac is swelled and causing discomfort. that is a more sever case and would require some time off. The third, and most severe, is a hip impingement, where the bone in the joint isnt sitting properly. This option would require a cessation of activity, and perhaps surgery. I can't feel your pain, so it's up to you to explore your options and treatments. Sorry friend, i couldn't help more unless I was there.

Not sure if you're the same guy as slightly earlier, but I'll reiterate "Off the top of my head it could be 3 things of varying degrees. IT band syndrome is one, where the band is super tight at the attachment point around your hip. That can be alleviated through stretching, foam rolling, anti inflams, and patience. A second possibility is bursitis, where in your bursa sac is swelled and causing discomfort. that is a more sever case and would require some time off. The third, and most severe, is a hip impingement, where the bone in the joint isnt sitting properly. This option would require a cessation of activity, and perhaps surgery. I can't feel your pain, so it's up to you to explore your options and treatments. Sorry friend, i couldn't help more unless I was there."

Sounds like stretching and foam rolling will fix. Thanks for replying. People are just getting into the running style after not doing it so it's just working through the pain. When you say anti inflammatory you mean aspirin or something?

I wasn't sure but legs are definitely inflamed from all the running for sure

Ill take this to heart. Thank you

Best running shoes you can recommend me. I run every twice a week. 13min 2 miles. Ik i'm shit.

If it's above the patella, then I'd say it is one of 2 things. Either a degenerative issue with the tissue behind your kneecap up there, which would be very problematic, or a tracking issue caused by a muscular imbalance in the quads. Your vastus lateralis, rectus femoris, vastus medialis, and sartorius muscles work in conjunction around the patella when running, so if one is significantly stronger or weaker than the other, it can have more of a pull on your knee, causing discomfort. Unfortunately it is up to you to determine if one or more has been neglected and needs strengthening. I'm sorry I couldn't do more.

Thanks man i hope it gets better without surgery haha, do you think getting better shoes would help at all? ive been using old minimalist ones for a while

It isn't normal. low back soreness can stem from super tight hamstrings and glutes pulling your posterior chain and affecting your form. My offhand advice is to stretch and foam roll the hell out of them, and if need be strengthen them. And I know running shoes are super expensive, but they sincerely help in protecting everything from your hips down. You don't need the most up to date expensive ones, but you do need actual running shoes from the past 4 years.

Yes, generally ibuprophen will do the trick. i'd also recommend the occasional tub ice bath from the hips down, especially for swelling in the legs. It fucking sucks, but it helps.

friendly reminder to
>roll
>your
>IT bands

2 miles in 13 minutes is by no means shit. Hell, if you bumped your running up just to 4 or 5 days a week I'd bet you could be down to 12 or 11 minutes within a month. Running shoes are a personal choice based on what feels right for you. In my personal experience, asics and brooks have been the best, with mizuno and saucony not far behind. Again, they will be expensive, but worth the safety.

>PUMA doesn't make great running shoes
Who does?

I know people hate the clunky cushioned trainers, but honestly they do wonders to alleviate the stress of pounding around while running. Minimalists are for those who have built up the right musculature and bone density to get by in them. In short, a new pair of actual running shoes can eventually help.

>Lifting
>Running 5+ miles on days that I don`t lift
>Need to become a better sprinter for the police department
>Want to run a marathon next year

Are my training goals detrimental to one another? I`m consuming more than enough calories to sustain all of this but it still concerns me.

Thanks coach.

Fucking bingo.

Asics and Brooks are my top 2. Mizuno and saucony aren't bad, and nike is slowly starting to get the hint.

Honestly, yes. I'm not trying to say that marathoners shouldn't lift or sprint, or that sprinters shouldn't lift or run more than 100 meters, but the end goal and the training to get there is vastly different between the two disciplines. Determine which one means more to you at this point in your life, and focus on that. there is always time to alter your path down the road.

Mild knee pain in front of knee, probably old patellar tendonitis acting up now that I've started running again. What do?

>Are my training goals detrimental to one another?

Depends on your lifting routine. If you're following a powerlifting routine then you're trying 2 different things here. I'm also preparing to be a police officer and passed their version of the POPAT in my city. Focus more on 3x10ish reps/sets for compound lifts as that works better for what they want.

Patellar tendonitis is a tricky fucker. I legitimately had it for 3 months during my college career. The ideal scenario is to complete your aerobic work through another means (swimming is number 1, followed by biking or elliptical) while spot treating the area (ice cups), taking some anti inflams, and working the surrounding muscles through stretching and rolling. At some point, there will be no pain in everyday life nor the low impact exercises you're doing in lieu of running. Take one week past that point on the same plan, then slowly start incorporating light jogs in every few days to test it out. If there are no issues, then gently begin getting back into the swing of things. if it still feels funky after a couple weeks of the above, then it may be necessary to take some time off completely, then implement the low impact plan above, THEN incorporate running. it's a long and obnoxious road, but it is better than feeling pain every time you plant your foot.

good luck copbro, this is a very hard time to be a cop.

How to strengthen feet and ankles for higher mileage?

There are 4-way band exercises you can search on youtube that will help you to strengthen your ankles, and various foot exercises (also with bands, some by picking up objects or rolling over a ball) you can find as well. But honestly, just running on uneven terrain (carefully!) can do wonders for ankle mobility and foot strength.

When I run on asphalt or at the track, I eventually develop 'shin splints.' However, if I run on the beach in the soft sand, I can as often as I want for as long as I want with no shin pain whatsoever.

Does this mean that when I'm running on harder surfaces that I'm actually getting the beginnings of a stress fracture?

A stress fracture would be an extreme case. Soreness and discomfort from running on asphalt or a flat track is, unfortunately, somewhat normal for some. I have xc kids that run on grass all year transition to the track in december, and have these same issues for a week or two! And these are experienced college athletes. I would encourage continual running on whatever surface feels the best for you, or barring that, making sure you have the right shoes, and easing into a new/harder surface. After all, it does take time for your bone density and musculature to adjust to concrete, asphalt, or a well worn track. Treat your aches and pains properly, stick with your training, and you should be alright in time.

what do you do to prevent chafing in the nether regions?

special underwear? powder?

Is running 4km~ then stopping in a park for rest and some lifting/push ups and resuming running for 3 more kms good?

Should I do this with one day interval or is it too exhausting for my body?

Also what should I eat before running that long? Today I just ate a slice of melon and felt really dehydrated 5km in.

On a personal level, I have only ever chafed in downpours. Powder no doubt helps, but so do compression underwear under the shorts, or shorts with built in underwear.

let me split this up. If you're looking to improve your cardiovascular fitness, then yes, stopping to do body weight exercises mid-run is detrimental. Running should be running, and lifting should be lifting. The obvious exception is cross fit style workout, which I am unfamiliar with. The second question, regarding nutrition, is somewhat personal. If you wake up early to run, I would suggest something light like a granola bar or a piece of toast with peanut butter and always water, just to ensure some fuel without having cramps. if you are running later in the day or even at night, eat your meals as you normally would, but keep in mind when you plan to run, and give yourself 3-4 hours (everyone is different) so you do not cramp or shit your pants. As always, hydrate throughout the day.

What should I be doing at the gym if I walk/jog 5k a day and goal is weight loss? I go to the gym roughly 2 hours before I do cardio, my schedule unfortunately doesn't allow for anything different. I would prefer a lithe body over a bulkier one if I have to make a decision.

Any opinion on low heel toe drop or flat vs higher heel toe drop shoes?

I feel like the higher ones keep my foot from acting like a shock absorber by making my heel hit faster. On the other hand, low drop/flat shoes are generally more minimal and don't have a lot of cushion for running on pavement.

Oh fuck then. I've been doing this routine for months now because I don't have time to do both. Guess I'll drop the weight lifting.

What about my routine? Is run-rest-run-rest ok?

Okay so looking to run an insane 5k.

Also looking to run an insane mile.

How do I break 4 minutes on the mile?

How do i increase stride length?

What are my magic numbers regarding beats per minute and steps per minute?

I am very fast but I need some specific numbers

Keep walking/running for sure. And the gym never hurts either! As long as you are being active and heading for a goal while keeping a detailed account of your calorie intake, you will succeed. I started on the opposite end (no offense I swear) as an underweight man that had to stop running so much and start lifting heavier and start eating more to gain mass. So for you, the walking/running expenditure coupled with lifting, combined with a lessened caloric intake should help you achieve your goal for sure! I'm sure there are more experienced weightlifters here that will tell you to focus more on 3x8 or 12 reps for movements than say 1 rm movements, as one is meant to gain strenght/size while the other is for "aesthetics." Bottom line, keep being active as much as you can while limiting your caloric intake, and find what makes you happy friend.

Fuck off skeleton no one here needs your help to look disheveled and malnourished.

Bro if you have to ask how to break 4 in the mile you're not gonna break it. If you were in the ball park of those times you wouldn't need to ask randoms on Veeky Forums. I get dreaming big but throwing that out there like that is stupid.
t. Sub 4 miler

There are anti chafe roll on sticks at literally every running store man. They look like deodorants. Try that out

It depends on your natural gait. If you are a natural heel striker, get a shoe with decent heel cushion but allows a gentle roll to toe push off. Mid foot striker can get away with any decently neutral shoe. Toe strikers can also do with most neutral shoes, but have to be aware that initial calf tightness will accompany them for some time. Most cases, a decently cushioned shoe will be better suite than a minimalist/zero drop shoe. UNLESS you are experienced or on the softest of surfaces.

I don't want to force you to change your lifestyle by any means. But if you are strictly looking to make cardiovascular improvement, then consistent cardiovascular exercise is your key. I am unsure of your abilities, but I would suggest more of 2 to 3 days on with one day off as opposed to alternating days. Eventually, you should feel comfortable with 4-6 days of cardiovascular training and 1-2 days of rest. Again, it depends on your goals and what you're shooting for. But just doing 30-50 minutes of consistent running 5 days a week is more than enough to keep the average citizen in decent shape.

Former skeleton to you, my miserly friend.

I smoke 40 cigarettes a day, should I quit if I want to become a runner?

This is quite the inquiry. If you're looking to go sub 15 in the 5k, it requires years of high mileage training coupled with the right amount of tempo work, vo2 work, and pure speed work. I would need pages and pages to detail that. A sub 4 mile, frankly requires gifted genetics and superb training, not many are capable of such a feat. Stride length, bets per minute, and steps per minute, are quite frankly worthless. If you want to be good at running, you have to be willing and able to run and put in an ungodly amount of hard work. I can guide you down the path if you'd like, in a more detailed message. But you'd have to be ready to sacrifice a great deal for those goals.

I'd actually suggest running with a cigarette in mouth, as your lungs are more used to taking in smoke than real air. On the off chance this is a serious inquiry, then yes, quit ASAP.

What is the best way to train from running away from gang members?

I live in a rough part of town and I sometimes have to run from multiple attackers and have almost got caught because this one guy could run for fucking ever

Now this is a question worth answering OP. Not too often you see someone who needs to do functional running in day to day life lol

Your best bet, my unfortunate friend, is to train like an 800 meter runner. They can withstand grueling speed overr distance, and very few can compete with them from 400 meters up to 1500 meters! your average street thug would be gassed. So, you want a combination of aerobic training, lactate threshold training, and speed training. That way, you're fast, can push through that burning leg feeling, and can go on for quite some time! No knife can pierce you friendo.

>literally has to run for survival
>2016

my seids

Fence jumps a few days a week
Alley corners few days a week
sprints everyday
long distance running 3x a week
Take down defense training
One punch knockout training

do that and you should be alright

I hope I helped some folks, or at least gave them something to chew on. I am done for the day. Thanks for the fun evening, and keep on running lads and ladies!

Thanks

How do I get better at a mid-range run? I'd like to be able to run 3 miles at a 6:00 mile pace, but so far I can only do two miles, and I'll have to take a short 30 second break or so, just to get it done.

>running thread
>control f
>type in pain
>25 fucking matches

1) Get top quality running shoes. Azics keyano are really good.
2) Get some custom made orthotics if you really care about not getting hurt
3) don't be such a fat cunt
4) start off slowly, the best way to not get hurt is to do a dynamic warm up, start with 2x20 leg bridges, 2x20 squats, 2x20 calf raises and then do your normal hamstring, groin, quad dynamic stretches for a couple minutes. THEN start running, you'll feel a world of difference, you'll run faster, be less sore at the end, feel limber and not very groggy when starting.
5) Stretch and use hot baths after sessions
6) take fish oil

These steps are really simple, most can be followed by just fucking reading this. But the most important thing is orthotics, the warm up and good quality running shoes and starting off slowly.

Also if cardiovascular fitness is your main goal, to prevent injury switch it up by running 2-3x a week, going on the bike 1x a week, swimming once a week. Your fitness, posture, everything, you'll feel amazing.

I play basketball, am i better off doing 10k, 5k, or doing HIIT(sprinting 50m, jogging 50m) for 2km. Please help i want to increase my stamina for basketball

Join a gang capable or annihilating their gang user :)

Early morning fasted runs, y/n?

I get shin splits so fucking bad after a few weeks whenever I decide to take up running. What can I do to not get shin splits in the future? I want to enjoy and be good at running.