Does veganism work?

The subject is simple enough but I just want to know how well a vegan diet actually works for people who aren't making mad ad revenue on youtube. Are any of you vegan? How is losing weight / bulking on a vegan diet? Is the only way to get sufficiently natty on a vegan diet? Seems like lately everyone who has a really good body is vegan.

Other urls found in this thread:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371172/French-vegan-couple-face-jail-child-neglect-baby-died-vitamin-deficiency.html
www3.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/sources.html
washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/05/22/climber-profiled-by-washington-post-dies-on-mount-everest/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Depends.
You can live off of fries and soda, consuming far too many calories per day while still eating vegan.
You can live off of whole, natural foods at the correct caloric level for your goals while still being vegan.
Of course, you can do either of those things while not being vegan either.

A lot of people lose weight when going vegan because:
1) A large percentage of junk food isn't vegan, so that automatically gets cut out
2) You've got to start paying attention to food, so many vegans start learning about nutrition
3) Most plants are as calorically dense as meat, dairy, and junk food... so vegans who aren't paying attention often don't even know they are eating fewer calories.

If health is your main concern, your focus should be on eliminating highly processed crap and hitting the correct calorie range. Veganism is only really meaningful as an ethical choice.

*most plants _aren't_ as calorically dense

>

It works for giving you malnutrition, schizophrenic symptoms and killing children.

lol

lol vegans

sure if you are a girl anything work, you don't have to literally do much anyway except don't be a lardass.

fpbp

you have to eat a metric fuckton of beans, tofu, etc. to get your daily protein. It's much more inefficient but if you're a > muh animals kinda guy, then you're probably willing to make that sacrifice

Veganism is a mental illness. Eating more vegetable is common sense. Caring more for """""the animals""""" means nothing if you're a white middle class cunt posting videos on youtube instead of infiltrating the business and scientific community doinig the hard work of designing meat farms that don't involve killing animals.

Just to point out the obvious: 90% of the "vegan community" fucking hate this bitch and how she presents herself (and in turn, the rest of us). Don't compare her or her methods to most vegans because it's common knowledge that she's a silly cunt.

Absolutely.

Agreed. I can't stand that cunt.

Reminder that freelee is full of shit and has been spotted on multiple occasions smashing pizzas and McDs

How did her boobs get bigger wtf

But her death had nothing to do with her being vegan.

HAHAHA HOLY FUCK

This was a great laugh to get the morning going lmao, thank you user.

>no one who eats meat has died on mount everest
>the post

No one who eats meat has felt compelled to climb Mount Everest to prove omnivores can climb Mount Everest.

Mostly because normal people don't feel the need to substitute a healthy diet for attention.

Yea it works but most people won't make it as strict vegans. The average person is going to be turned off by how restrictive the diet is. It's understandable. Going out to eat is difficult, something as simple as ordering a pizza is out the window. Lack of protein on vegan diet is a meme. You'll need to supplement B12 though. Non-animal foods are not a reliable source of B12 and factory farm animals probably wouldn't be either if they were not given supplements. Probably hardest thing for me to give up is eggs. Likely because consuming eggs does not necessarily harm hens but it does however harm male chicks. Since they have no use for them they usually suffocate them in a bag or drop them into a grinder. That is something I can't support.

Doesn't really matter. Climbing mount everest is suicidal and she is just as dumb as anyone else who has done it.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1371172/French-vegan-couple-face-jail-child-neglect-baby-died-vitamin-deficiency.html

>retards dont realize human breast milk is vegan

It harms the immune system in the long run for adults, for developing children it can cause malnutrition, in infants it can cause death.

Adults can last a long time on a vegan diet because their bodies have stopped developing mostly

Animal product, namely dairy products, contain a lot of healthy micro organisms which help a lot of bodily processes along.

Vegetarianism is much more healthy because a lot of animal products are still taken without animals being killed or harmed for it.

Basically being a vegan means you're emotionally driven without regard for facts.

All in all you're better off eating (cooked) meat, after all, it's that change in our diet that got us our brains today, if humanity suddenly stopped eating cooked meat we'd probably degenerate into apes again

You do understand that has happened to non-vegans too right?

Have you guys ever read the bible? People used to live for hundreds of years following a strict catholic diet of fruits, vegetables, and fish. If everybody ate that clean and fresh at the start of their we'd have godly lifespans today too.

yea dairy is amazing for you with all of those anti inflammatory, sex hormone, steroid, antibiotic by-product/additives.

lol you are quick to call others retarded while making that post. If you're talking about lactic acid bacteria (probiotics) then you are mistaken. LAB is any fermented food or beverage. Milk from a cows utter is not required to ferment something. Vegetarians cause animals harm and death. The consumption of milk, cheese and eggs supports factory farming in general which includes veal, chick culling and so forth. Degenerate into apes again? We were never apes we simply share a common ancestor with them. If you're gonna talk shit at least know what you're talking about.

Moar buzzwords please.

You left out photochemicals, superfoods, gmo, organic, anti-oxidant, and probiotic.

Where do you get your milk, Kazakhstan?

murica

Despite being vegan I think meat isn't that horrible for your health, but only if it's wild caught game.
No way I could justify eating pic related or animals brought up in such squalor disease-ridden environments and call it 'healthy'.
Dairy on the other hand is just absurd to me. No other animal species naturally drinks another species' breast milk after being weaned off of it when young. Jus' nasty.

Im vegan.

Losing weight is the same as a meat diet.

Gaining muscle is the same as a meat diet.

There is no difference

>No other animal species naturally drinks another species' breast milk after being weaned off of it when young.
No other animal species shitposts on a native american dream catcher appreciation forum either, you fucking degenerate.

youtube fitness community is fucking cancer. From Piana to fucking broccoli man, they're all cancer.

Why not just eat protein powder and vitamins?

out of all of the historal texts from that era, you chose an adult story book? The same book that claims all of the evil in the world stems from a stronk womminz who ate an apple cause a talking snake told her to?

Jeez

It is a lifestyle choice, building muscle and losing fat is no different it just means eat more beans and soy.

Its no different really, just means you cant eat animal products. You can make gains eating or excluding any type of food, at the end of the day calories are calories and nutrients are all the same.

Almost.

The problem with vegan and vegetarian is the difficulty in hitting the correct saturated fat target which should be very high (mine is 150g). In fact, it's impossible to have a high fat diet, perhaps medium, but either way very high in carbs.

Pervasive carb intake means occasional or frequent high insulin spikes, which eventually lead to insulin resistance. Insulin is extremely damaging to the whole body. It causes inflammation, resulting in cholesterol being required for repairs. That's just one side effect from high insulin.

You can never ever ever get fat on a zero carb diet. No carbs mean no insulin mean no chemical mechanism to increase adipose tissue. Fat consumed cannot be taken up as adipose tissue. But excess carbs will, because that's insulin's fucking purpose, and it should be left as an emergency reaction not a day to day event!

Plants are deficient in certain nutrients. Meat, especially raw or rare red meat, is a complete provided you eat high fat. No B vitamin deficiency!

I am a carnivore only. I eat nothing but meat, fish, eggs, and cheese/cheese/butter. No plants. Less than 5g carbs a day. I never have insulin fluctuations, no energy spikes, I can skip meals without getting hungry. Sugar is revolting. I drink water only.

Eat like a predator, not the prey.

For those willing to dig, read up on the Bear from the Grateful Dead. He did zero carb, as above, for 47 years. Read his diary, and research for yourself.

I'm not aiming this at vegans or vegetarians. I respect your choice. But for those curious at a rather unorthodox idea in today's age, read and try yourself.

If that is all it was I don't think anyone would care.

It is the self-righteousness, superiority complex, and dramatization that goes with it, most people can't stand.

Why would you need such a high fat diet?? do you want to have heart problems?

Carbs dont make you fat, fruit and whole grain carb sources are good for you.

Why would you ever want to get most of your fat from saturated fat, all recognized sources for diet recommends a limit on saturated fat.

I meant in terms of diet and if someone who was vegan decided to lift weights.

There are lots of crazy vegans, and i dont really care what they do i wouldn't associate with them, so they can be crazy by themselves.

I am vegetarian, i eat eggs and dairy and make solid gains no different from my gym buddy who eats meat with every meal.

Was just giving my opinion, people who think it means you turn into a skeleton are misinformed. Food is food people can eat what they want and find a way to make it work.

Why do you guys think the only reason to ge vegan is animal feels.

Im vegan because of the environment, anyone who gives two shits about the future should go vegan or at least vegetarian.

Don't take this as criticism, but the programming offered by the USDA is not gospel.

Fruits, especially modern fruit, are large and sweet and absolutely loaded with fructose. Fructose is a very difficult sugar to digest as it can only be metabolized in the liver, and there's a price be paid for that in phosphor, higher insulin, and nuking your leptin supply. More leptin means you stuff your face more, leading to more insulin, and repeat.

Saturated fat is what the body runs best on. Poly oxidizes rapidly and turns into free radicals. Better have that vitamin C supplement. Mono.. better but omega 6 is not terrific. Saturated is stable and will not oxidize in your body. The metabolic reaction for saturated fat is efficient.

Eating a fatty cut off steak will generally get you that 80/20 split. That's all you need. And contrary to popular belief, fiber isn't required. Just more toxic carbs.

What are you talking about best source of saturated fat is coconut oil and it's vegan.

Any sources confirming the harm of the imune system?

>It exist people who unironicly like this

Dont the bioactive substances and the fibers of fruit negate the insulin spike?

Have you ever read the Bible? Adam and Eve were immortal until they ate an apple. If you don't eat apples, you can live forever too.

>Why not just eat protein powder and vitamins?
I don't really care enough to go re-find sources for this, but Google it if you're interested-

1) Research is finding that a number of vitamins concentrated in pills are not as readily or as fully absorbed by the body as are the _same_ amount of vitamins naturally found in food.
2) Consuming certain amino acids in protein powder, rather than in natural food, is being tentatively linked to higher rates of certain cancers. More research is needed before we can say anything conclusive, but that danger still hasn't been ruled out yet.

Also,
1) There are a number of things that can be very healthy for your body that we know about - such as fiber, chlorophyll, etc., that you generally don't get in vitamins.
2) We don't know everything about human nutrition yet, and we're always finding more stuff in food that is needed/healthy for the human body. If you try to live off pills, there is a good chance that you'll be missing some important nutrient, because nobody knew to put them in pills yet.

If we were intelligent enough we wouldnt need to, ergo some shoud deprive themselves of meat when others binge on it.

Im not a vegetalian.

I eat meat less than twice a week on average and in very little quantities and fuck you

Fair point, but most people don't realize the massive effect that large-scale factory farming is having on the atmosphere, the oceans, the rivers, the soil, and in some places the forests. It's pretty nasty.

I do the vegan thing for animals, but if I were to ever go back to meat I would have to do small-scale, sustainable farms for human life as well.

yeah, the fiber slows the absorption of the fructose greatly, which leads to much less insulin in response. don't fear fruit

I dont fear fruit, most of my daily kcals come from fruit.

9/10, people are already taking the bait

>large-scale factory farming is having on the atmosphere
Compared to what?

Agriculture in total makes up 9% of the US's greenhouse gasses.

Electricity is 31%.

You'll have to forgive me if I find it humerus for someone to spend time wasting electricity posting on Veeky Forums complaining about the environmental damage from meat.

Where did you find that graph?

That can not be correct.

don't cut yourself on that edge, brah.

I lived as a vegan for almost a year because stupid ass GF forced me into it.
I was miserable, meeting macros was a fucking chore, worst than forced bulking.
I ended up making the most boring foods because all organic vegan food is incredibly expensive and nearly impossible to find outside of a super cuck liberal town.
I had blood work done regularly (every 2-3 months) and was getting b-vit shots.
I was utterly miserable, my sex drive dropped, my BP skyrocketed, I was becoming more feminine, jaundice (yellow of the skin, common in most vegans).
It was pure shit.
The vegans you keep seeing with good bodies are often roiding, it's incredibly common. You'd be a fool to believe them when they say their natty, just because they put a statement on the internet saying so.
There is zero proof that any of them are natty.

I switched back to a simple vegetarian oriented diet and instantly felt better, my sex drive was up within a months time. I looked less anorexic and within a few months my blood pressure returned to normal.

Being a vegan is the new shill meme.

You where eating wrong.

What was your daily diet like?

www3.epa.gov/climatechange/ghgemissions/sources.html

The Environmental Protection Agency

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency

And btw, the study that says agriculture contributes 51% is just a study by the united nations, who arrived at a 19%, with a bunch of assumptions made in order to reach the 51% and make a tv documentary based on it (paid by the uk green party)

Have you seen Cowspiracy?

In that doc they say agriculture causes 51% of all greenhouse gasses.

Who should I believe?

She is completely emaciated that is OK if you are a female but what guy wants to look like a scary skeleton?

see

Hey there /r9k/
I met all macros for a 2.3k calorie diet based around
50% protein, 30% carbs, 20% fat.
All micros that were possible to be had were met, with the exception of the booster shot.
You can't assume that one diet is a fit all, that's not how the human body works.
Some diets make humans sick, we are genetically dispositioned to eat certain foods and to take them out completely and replace them with foods not native to your ancestors diets will cause damage.

Why we are playing 20 questions, where is your proof that these so called natty vegan body builders aren't frauding?
Do you have paperwork showing it, from a doctor that is actually practicing or a company that specializes in drug testing?
I'm going to guess not.

Alright so they are just fucking with numbers to get the results they want, like every study does sadly.

But if you think about it, the amount of energy, water, food and land needed to get a burger on your plate is enormous.

There is no way the earth can sustain this way of living.

I dont know what to believe anymore.

unless you are drinking vegetable oil with every meal you will lose weight because vegetables are not as calorie dense as meat and cheese

veganism is good for women who want to be thin but for men it's too hard to get enough calories

No I dont have any proof, I dont care about those youtubers I was just curious as to what your diet looked like.

If you really met all your macros and micros like you said then I have no arguments against that.

Within how many weeks/months did you notice those differences?

Ive been on a vegan diet for just over 2 months now and I feel fine.

Everybody is different I guess.

Honestly, I've given up hope for the planet. We're fucked, and it's only a matter of time before we finish digging our own graves.
I'm only vegan because I don't want to contribute to the suffering of the animals who we are bringing down with us.

This is bullshit, its easy to maintain or even gain weight on a vegan diet.

Sure you might need to eat a bit more but what is the harm in that?

>the amount of energy, water, food and land needed to get a burger on your plate is enormous
Do you realise the anount if water we have on the planet is the same as millions of years ago? Water doesn't just disappear after you drink it. It evaporates up into the atmosphere and then condenses and falls back to the earth where we reuse it. That sounds pretty sustainable to me.

I don't care what you believe.

But at least try to keep a bit of skepticism when watching agenda driven documentaries,

Like that jewbag Gary Yourofsky, will fucking show videos of british halal slaughterhouses when he talking about the US meat industry.

And a claim of half the worlds greenhouse gasses being caused from meat. That sounds ridiculous at face value user. Cars exist.

for normal non-athletes being vegan is okay
but for athletes it's horrible for my sport(tennis)
maybe when I retire i'll switch.

Nothing about this anecdote sounds plausible. How the fuck does your blood pressure go up from eating plants?

>50% protein vegan diet

Even less plausible. The fuck could you have been eating?

>Some diets make humans sick, we are genetically dispositioned to eat certain foods and to take them out completely and replace them with foods not native to your ancestors diets will cause damage.

Paleoscience

This, and there's so much water in the ocean. Why can't we just bottle that up and drink it? We'll never run out

>go up from eating plants?
Super high omega 6 / 3 ratio can cause inflammation, which is bad for your blood pressure.

But I still doubt it.

But it's still funny that she died while trying to prove she isn't weak

Well the amount of cattle on this planet is extremely large so 51% did not sound like a implausible number to me.

Yes but do you realise that the water used for raising cattle becomes contaminated?

And then this contaminated water gets dumped into the ocean fucking up the ph levels of the sea further increasing the ecological balance of the ocean.

Why's it funny someone died trying to make the world a better place?

On the same climb, a meat-eating motivational speaker died of the same thing, which is a mostly random condition.

washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/05/22/climber-profiled-by-washington-post-dies-on-mount-everest/

>Arnold said he dreamed of climbing Everest since he was a little boy -- and had a poster of the mountain taped next to one of actress Pamela Anderson above his bed

Hehehe, he died trying to live out his dreams and inspire people. What an idiot.

pretty easy to do a good job of it. My current diet, without counting dinner, puts me at 1500 calories a day with 120 grams of protein. I also don't eat soy without a good reason cause of estrogen.

wat?

The cycle reclaims the water as piss.....which goes back into the ground.

How do we get cows to stop pic related?

Also are you retarded?

u srs?

We cant stop the cows from polluting citys. what the fuck are you on about.

We can however stop raising cattle so we can bring down our total pollution.

Cars are not the only polluting thing on this planet, cattle also plays a huge role in pollution.

You literally said, 51% of the pollution being from cows seems plausible. When smog exists.

You seriously think that combining coal powerplants, all the cars in the world, all the industrial processes, fucking airliners that produce 1/2 ton of CO2 equivalent emissions per flying hour, etc is about equal to the pollution from cows.

Look at these shitcunts, causing the the environmental holocaust.

The pollution caused by cows also involves the transportation of feed, cattle, and beef.

I was vegan for 3.5 years and it worked well for me.

Because it's salt water.

The problem still goes to you assuming one diet > all others.
Which simply isn't true, most plants have a high count of saturated fat. Not all fats are the same and once again your genetic disposition to certain foods will determine if you can eat large amounts of a substance.
Our bodies are not equal, this is human biology 101. One persons ability to process long long or one medium chain of fatty acids, amino acid, or any other of the hundreds of particles that make up any individual macro is not the same as another persons. There are negative repercussions for any diet. Just as there are positives for any diet. You must surely understand this? As a reaction is always found in nature for better or worst.

While a vegan diet make positively effect a few people, there are just as many people who get better results from a diet that has meat or dairy.
The oldest woman in the world eats bacon every single day and has health better than some people in their 90s.
These diets are all determined by genetic disposition, that lady could have been a vegan and died at 85 for all we know.

Also for balancing protein/carbs you can easily do this with tofu, beans, nuts.
Black beans, kidney beans, pretty much any type of bean you can find in a store has a higher ratio of protein than carb for daily nutrition. It's that simple to reach 50% protein.

>most plants have a high count of saturated fat

Don't talk to me or my son ever again.

30% carb on a vegan diet? For that alone I am calling bullshit on your story. You should have never tried to enforce retarded shit like that on a vegan diet in the first place if true. You should have been eating plenty of fats also because you need dietary fat to keep your cholesterol levels optimal. Nuts, avocados, coconut oil etc.

>not knowing that long chain saturated fats are unhealthy in large doses
>not eating superior medium chain fats found in fruit

>not reading the rest of my post where I explain all of this.

It's almost like vegans lack the ability to do research.
20% fat of a 2k+ diet is more than enough fat period, jesus christ no wonder all of you faggots are either obese or holocaust mode and have to roid just to make gains.

1) EPA only accounts for US emissions; but the US food market is extremely international.
2) The EPA's estimates consistently focus on CO2, or occasionally other greenhouse gasses that they choose to put in CO2 equivalent metrics.

This often does not account for the fact that global agriculture accounts for the majority of methane emissions (shorter lived in the atmosphere than CO2, but has a larger effect per volume) and the majority of nitrous oxide emissions (which are of lower volume than CO2 globally, but are approximately 600x as effective as a greenhouse gas than CO2 per volume)

When factoring in these realities, environmental agencies generally put global agriculture at around 40-50% of all greenhouse effects, and that is before factoring in that large areas of forest (which lower greenhouse gas levels) are being demolished in places like Brazil for land necessary for their massive, industrial ranching outfits.

No, I can't be arsed to go get sources on these right now, so feel free to think it's bullshit if you want. Maybe it is, but I've come across that information from reputable sources enough that this is the reason I pointed it out.

>I lived as a vegan for almost a year because stupid ass GF forced me into it.
Dude, I'm a vegan, and I still want to slap you out of your beta pussy-ness. Don't let other people tell you how to live your life. Don't eat a certain way because you're pussy whipped.

How were you 50% protein on a vegan diet? That is a lie. Even if you ate nothing but beans that's only 20% protein.

There are crazy vegans out there who consume a ton of protein powder and soy protein isolate (fake meat) products.

It would be pretty hard and expensive to hit 50% protein, but not completely impossible.

Sounds terrible. I'd rather eat a 9-15% protein vegan diet and actually enjoy myself. Low fat low carb vegan is suicide tier.

I've been vegan for 9 years and there is a difference how fat I can get. I am not pure vegan though, eating potato chips sometimes and when friends make something without meat, I usually eat. But even then I don't get as fat as I used to, I'm 170cm and the fattest I get now eating complete trash and even 5000kcal per day is 56 kg, it used to be 62. It is not a lot of difference but if I cut out chips and anything nonvegan, I would be really skinny, easily loose 5-6 kgs. (I literally have very thin bones and ribcage if that sounds too low)

The reason is that vegan food eliminates most fast food here and you get tired eating 2-3 varieties of chips you like. You have to make your food yourself or buy healthier snacks.
If you live in a city that sells vegan fast food and snacks it might be different. But in my case I'll never be as fat as in high school when I ate (mostly) meat. Even with beer and chips diet. But this is because I do not gain weight that easily anyway and would never be obese.

You should still eat healthy. Cut out soda, sugary but fat free foods, condiments. Eat soy very rarely like you would eat somewhat healthy fast food. Don't replace meat with soy. Eat lots of legumes and if you like soy, then edamame beans. Try to have one vegan meal per day because that way you'll learn to cook not just replace. Make foods you have never tried before.