Is it possible to die from lack of sleep / insomnia / very little sleep?

Is it possible to die from lack of sleep / insomnia / very little sleep?

If so how bad does it have to be?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16912060
twitter.com/AnonBabble

if you go over two weeks without sleeping, your organs will just fail. you will simply drop dead.

I think you'd pass out by that point honestly.

I think you die if you go about two weeks with no sleep

Your body would do micro sleeps. Your health would turn to shit though and your recovery would suck.

Sleep is important

Why would recovery suck? Pretty sure that meme is a lie. Even if you stay up for a week, you're good again after a 8 or 12 hour sleep.

What was the longest you stayed up for with little to no sleep? What were the side effects?

You'll never fully recover though

I remember I didn't sleep for about 48 hours when coming back home from a long trip and all of sudden I felt really weird, it was a floaty and desensitized kind of feeling.

I then started crying for no reason and all i remember after that is taking a quick shower and going to bed

no u will just fall into a coma

Your body wouldn't heal as fast as it would if you slept like an adult.

You need a certain disease or a people keeping you awake for that to be possible. You could obviously die from shit like a heart attack triggered by lack of sleep, if you have a weak heart. Lack of sleep puts more stress on the body.

I met this guy once who only slept like once a month.

The longest I went without sleeping was 88 hours

Things get really weird and you kind of have these like waking dreams and hallucinations, but not exactly. It also physically hurts, then you get past this wall and feel like you will never need to sleep again, then you start kind of blacking out for a few seconds. At least that's how it happened for me.

Yeah you can die from it, if you continually don't get enough sleep you also become susceptible to depression and other problems.

No, but your gains will seriously suffer.

no sleep = no gains

my buddy took too much pills one night and he didn't sleep for like 5 days straight, he fell asleep after the 5th day and when he woke up he wasn't the same, it was surreal, i'm pretty sure he got brain damage or something to be honest...

Go ahead then. Stop sleeping.

The brain damage is more likely attributed to the too many pills rather than the lack of sleep

The pills would be out if his system within 12-24hours.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia

Shit's scary

I don't think there have been any documented cases of people dying from lack of sleep.

>death shortly after diagnosis
>no cures
>starts with signs of insomnia

what the hell kind of disease is this?

Even though I feel pretty tired I have trouble sleeping more than 5-7 hours. Usually I need like 8 and a half. Despite feeling really tired in evenings.

Iv been travelling for 10 weeks so maybe I'm jet lagged? Or the light theough the window wakes me up at 5.30 am.

Any tips? Have some phenibut but haven't found it does much for me.

I don't think you could actually not sleep long enough to die without the aid of drugs. Your body will just force you to sleep when it's reached it's limit. But if you use stimulants enough to keep you awake for 2 weeks or so your heart would probably give out.

I didn't sleep for a week straight once after quitting ambien. Here's some fun stuff that happened :

>be four days in, past the point of feeling miserable and tired, just feeling really shaky/vibrating, can feel my fucking hair
>Streaming transformers episodes online because I've got nothing better to do
>Pause episode to go make some food, leave youtube on to stream music.
>most of the songs playing are about space travel(Major Tom, E.T., etc.)
>Oh my god aliens are trying to talk to me through youtube
>spend the next 12 hours listening to music in the youtube queue trying to decipher alien messages.
>Come to the conclusion that a race of hot shapeshifting all female aliens are going to land
>They need earth to throw a giant party so they'll all be accepted without question
>Well clearly you need robots to throw parties so better get some transformers up in here
>I try to summon optimus prime by blasting music as loud as I can with all my windows open in the dead of winter at 12 at night
>At some point I decide I don't need my clothes anymore
>Roommate comes home, sees me blasting music and also naked, asks me what the fuck
>I am full on fucking hallucinating at this point, see his eyes glowing
>Oh god he's Megatron
>I fight him naked
>He calls the cops, my parents, and my best friend, and my brother
>My parents show up and they're emitting this weird purple fog
>Decepticon scum I can see past your weak human disguises
>Best friend shows up, tripping balls so fucking hard I think he's Starscream
>Oh good Starscream can be reasoned with
>Tell him about the hot female aliens
-continued

This is shit and very unfunny, please don't bother continuing

>seriously there's millions of lives at stake here help me out
>He manages to convince me to put "plant based frame coverings back on" (seriously the dude just fucking rolled with it like a pro) so I'm not naked anymore
>Brother shows up, I think he's Doctor Who
>Ask him to explain warp drives to me which is fucking stupid because TARDIS doesn't have a warp drive
>They eventually trick me into getting into a car by telling me they're taking me to the TARDIS
>At this point I am alternating between thinking I am Predaking and Twilight Sparkle, so I try to tell them I can just fly there
>Starscream calls me an idiot, says that if we were allowed to just fly anywhere he wouldn't have taken a fucking car to get here either so just get in.
>They take me to a hospital
>They ask me my name over and over. I give them like five different fake ones.
>They finally give me a low dose of some sedative, but it's not enough and it just enrages me
>Jump out of bed and start screaming shit like "I HAVE IDENTIFIED ALL THREATS DO NOT MAKE ME HARM YOU" and "I WAS PROMISED A MEETING WITH THE AUTOBOT LEADER WHERE IS OPTIMUS PRIME"
>They pin me down and sedate me again, this time with something that puts me in convulsions
>They drag me to another room by my arms
>"YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME I'M THE PRINCESS OF MOTHERFUCKING FRIENDSHIP"
>Finally black out at some point
>Wake up in a different room the next day
>"Jesus fuck what the hell have I done?"

Long story short don't fuck around with sleep. I am never going to ever live this down and spend 99.9% of my time cringing at the memories.

The longest I ever went was a little over 80 hours, I got really driven to do shit and then passed out while I was standing up. I consumed like 4g of caffeine by the end of it and didn't fully recover my sleeping pattern for over a year. To this day everytime I get tired I get a sudden burst of energy that makes sleeping ridiculously hard. Most sleeping pills don't get me to sleep properly either. Don't do it.

I stayed awake for 65-70 hours once.

The reason is was 65-70 is because the last 5 hours were literally fucking hell.

It went like this:
12 hours in
>want to go to sleep
>drink coffee by the fucking boatload
>coffee wears off, get a second wind also
24 hours awake...
>starting to get extremely tired, my back begins to ache, no hunger
36 hours in...
>literally just sat on the floor
>deep thoughts about anything and everything
>more coffee and energy drinks
48 hours in
>heart palpitations
>light flickers in eyes every so often
>minor hallucinations i.e seeing a figure that isn't there when you focus on it
56 hours in (at this point, the mind tries to convince you to sleep) its very fucking strange...
>body feels numb
>feel like i'm floating
>heart beating rapidly then slowing to a near stop then back to rapidly beating
>mind racing
>panic and paranoia like someone is hunting me down and i'm trying to escape or need to move, etc
>no hunger at all, piss every 2 minutes
65 hours awake...
>feel like i'm going to die any minute
>can no longer distract myself
>no concentration
>can barely remember what my name is
>full on conversations with myself about nothing
>extreme hallucinations that make me move around and hide etc
>distant voices that sound like actual people in the room talking to me
>panic mode to the extreme
>back aches so much that its making me hunch over
>eyes sting
>skin feels extremely sweaty and greasy (probably from constant adrenaline)
A few hours after I fell alseep.

Slept for 24-29 hours straight. Woke up and I felt like a new person. It felt like I had been in a coma for years or something...

The fuck mate

Maybe some black out curtains to keep the light out in the morning until your rested?

I've done 40 hours a few times. Usually just feel dirty or gross like after a long haul flight and a bit dizzy

I was up for 60 hours once when I was 16. It was because I was doing wilderness survival for boyscouts and the owner of the property we were on wouldn't let us build fires. It was late november and the daytime temperature was about 30 degrees Fahrenheit and at night it was about 10. I eventually became very manic and just giggled st everything.

he couldve been put into a manic state, drugs can trigger latent mental issues such as bipolar disorder

Fatal familial insomnia (FFI) is an extremely rare autosomal dominant inherited prion disease of the brain. It is almost always caused by a mutation to the protein PrPC, but can also develop spontaneously in patients with a non-inherited mutation variant called sporadic fatal insomnia (sFI).

my record is like 4 days (90+) hours with no sleep

you can't die from lack of sleep, when your brain is too tired to go on anymore it'll just unconditionally shut itself down to get some rest and it'll be fine

One that needs a movie

>floaty and desensitized

that's called depersonalization, happens to me if I get hit on the head real hard. it's scary.

glad i'm not the only one experiencing this. i slept from 1-3:30 am and now i'm just up for no reason. can't go back to sleep. drank a pint of whiskey too

Bump.

All the energy in your body will start to decay if you don't rest and sleep.

No energy = no life.

Fuck off back to /co/ you cringeshit.

Common scientific knowledge isn't usually debated.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16912060

Recovery sucks because cortisol levels are high, and growth hormone levels are low. >Cortisol is catabolic.
Largely elevated night time release of growth hormone is scientific fact.
>Reduced growth hormone expression, reduced stimulus for growth.

What is growth in relation to muscular hypertrophy?
>It's repairing muscle fibres and making them stronger. (Read up on myofibril theory)

Why does that slow down?
>In a catabolic state, the basics are proteins/amino acids are broken down for energy instead of repackaged and circulating to be absorbed into the cells.

So you aren't processing proteins properly, and you aren't providing a strong drive to repair damaged cells.

If humans didn't need sleep they wouldn't sleep it's simple, you'd think in our evolution the need to sleep would be detriment in finding food and fending off predators so it must be highly important.

It's a fact that nowadays with the advancement in electronic devices that western people tend to get shit sleep every night.

Currently in trying to read before bed rather than stare at a screen as it seems to help me fall into a more restful sleep and wake up feeling better.

I don't know that you would DIE from it, but you'd have various other complications, hallucinations, etc.

Without gains, you might as well die

Used to date a sleep scientist.

Generally lack of sleep wont kill you directly, as your body just simply passes out.

However it neurologically fucks you up, you can become delirious and even halucinate if its bad enough. You also begin to suffer disassociation and reduced inhibition and your hand-eye coordination is ruined. It also puts alot of stress on you. In alot of cases diet gets fucked up and overall your hormonal balances (yes theres more than just test and estrogen) get fucked up - the majority of studies on shift workers highlight strong correlation between lack of sleep, bad diet and being overweight.

Collectively these could theoretically put too much strain on your body and cause something bad to happen / injury to occur.

So yeah get some sleep.

Not necessarily. Eat a boatload of XR Adderall or meth and you can feel it for days.

When I as a junkie my junkie friend was curious about meth. He shot a "small amount" and was breathing like a horny rhino for 3 fucking days. Didn't sleep once even after doing like a gram of dope in one sitting.

He didn't sleep for about 90 hours. One shot.

hours in
Lmao if you aren't awake most days at LEAST 14 hours then wtf r u doing on Veeky Forums???

u sound like a neet who sleeps 12 hours at a time

11-32 days according to sources on google.
At 11 days physical and mental degradation reaches a peak where damage begins to maximize and every day after that certain organs that require you to be asleep just fade away. Most of all hormones become unbalanced, will kills the immune system and you continue to just get sicker and sicker until something gives.
Insomnia can take years to notice a negative, usually people with insomnia do not start reaching the first negatives until after puberty. Where HGH levels lower and your body doesn't repair itself as well.
It would be like having a vitamin deficiency, vit def doesn't kill you flat out, it hurts your organs over time.

About 5 days on Ethylphenidate