Emotions aren't reality

Emotions aren't reality

Discuss

What is there to discuss user?

Emotions are shortcut channels to different modes of behavior. The trick to mastering them isn't trying to ignore them, but to face them and guide yourself into serentity through each of them.

Perception isn't reality

Discuss

>Buddhist image
>Le psychological claims
>Prove me wrong xD

How about no you flaming faggot.

cardio kills gains

discuss

Jesus christ it is summer. Meditation and psychological discussion has always been a part of Veeky Forums you fucking newfaggots.

No meditationbros here?

Had a 20+ minutes long glimpse of no self.

Never dabbled with weeds/drugs before.

Emotions are created by thoughts, this thoughts might represent something that is false/unreal, but the thought in itself exists as well as the emotions, since both are perceived but the thought's represented object might not exist, therefore you are deluding yourself.

For example: You think "everyone hates me" then you get anxious. The thought "everyone hates me" and the anxiety is real, but no one hates you, so the hypothetical "fact" "everyone hates me" is not real.

I'll just elaborate then:

Emotions are usually involuntary responses to events/information.

They automatically rise up before or as the subject receives the information.

And once they rise, the subject will go off of these emotions as if they were inescapable, unavoidable, uncontrollable truth.

But there is no truth in these emotions. An emotion isn't a fact: a fact is a fact.

An emotion is an illusory feeling that clouds reality: an emotion is not definitive, nor absolute, nor permanent.

Emotions are energetic waves, involuntarily experienced throughout the body. If you choose before, or just as, information is received, you can completely control how you feel about it.

Thus, you change the reality of the entire situation.

Emotions aren't real. They are illusions.

Choices are real.

This guy fucking gets it.

False.

Sorry, you're too retarded to take part in this discussion... Prove me wrong xD

Cardio IS gains, if that's the gains you're after.

Another guy who gets it.

Who /samatha-vipassana/ here?

May all beings be rested and receive lots of gainz

True, but I'm a person who strives off of emotion.
Example, anger motivates me. Also I love drugs like molly that give you a flood of emotions. Without them life seems bland.

>emotions aren't real
>choices are real
i get this a lot from meditation boards. people who never practice and try to brain it by slapping thoughts together.

that's not how it works. emotions are as real as choices.

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear, let it pass over and through me. When the fear has passed I will look along the path it has taken. Where the fear has passed there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

I have done some mental exercises that I have created myself, I think it's a type of meditation, but I am not sure if it fits the definition.
I got way faster intellectually and more focused, it's hard to do it for long periods, though, so the effects wear off.
One effect I found incredible is that I was not able to see bad things as actually bad, but as just part of something that I have to pass through and, therefore, they are actually good for me.

What you do and what happens to you are the same
Discuss

>Emotions aren't reality
courage and honor are very real, user

>example, anger motivates me

You choose to channel the anger energy into something. Because you can also do nothing with the anger, just let it sit and simmer and boil your blood for no good use. You will have to, at some point, make an overriding decision which directs the energy.

Are they? Is worrying about a future event that has yet to happen, real? If you have an image in your head of a spooky but kind looking pink cat wearing the moon and sun, is that real too?

Both are very much choices.

what a bunch of stupid psychobabble

you have no idea what you're talking about

>Both are very much choices.
yes, but why are they very much choices? because the emotion was there first
i'll be out for a bit but if my phone decides to not be slow i'll pop back in for the bantz

>Is worrying about a future event that has yet to happen, real?

yes, worrying is real. Your body has a physiological reaction. Your blood pressure really goes up. Your heart rate really goes up.

>If you have an image in your head of a spooky but kind looking pink cat wearing the moon and sun, is that real too?

What does it have to do with emotion?

OP, can you address my answer?

My point is that something that is perceived can only be real, but not what the perception might represent.

The same happens with fiction.
Stories are real, since you can read them, and overall interact with them, but not what the story represents.

"2+2=5" is true. 2+2=5 is false.

so does your choices have physical form as well?

goddamn fucking non-practicing fuckhead hippy and your stupid line of reasoning.

>If you have an image in your head of a spooky but kind looking pink cat wearing the moon and sun, is that real too?
The image in your head is real. The spooky cat is not, or what the image represents is not.

Emotions are real or else how would they afflict your mind-body?

You do have choice wether or not to react to emotions, to act on your emotions, to get riled up by emotions, to reject a world painted a different color from reality

Well then, what emotion precedes an act of courage?
Courage emotion?
Fear emotion?

Or perhaps it is only a choice to act in spite of whatever emotion may arise.

Prove it.

What determines choice?

>so does your choices have physical form as well?
Yes, first in action, and secondly in reality being formed off conscious decisions. This line is where it gets real /x/, but it's truth.

You experience a real energetic response. It has yet to shape reality however until you chose how it affects reality.

They are very very close.

>For example: You think "everyone hates me" then you get anxious. The thought "everyone hates me" and the anxiety is real, but no one hates you, so the hypothetical "fact" "everyone hates me" is not real.

The emotional thought "everyone hates me" isn't true. Some type of negative feeling occured, and the subject took these feelings as reality, and thus, the subjects body responds to this choice. Then others will respond to this. The original 'emotion' of "everybody hates me" was never real

what's the point of life when you understand that love and all emotions are just neurotransmitters like serotonin or dopamine and you can get those feelings with substances?

>Yes, first in action, and secondly in reality being formed off conscious decisions
The christian god and everything in the bible must be real then since it steers the behaviors of christians.

You are intellectually dishonest and also full of shit. You must realize this.

>The emotional thought "everyone hates me" isn't true.
it's not true but it's real.

>You are intellectually dishonest
that's you:

>The christian god and everything in the bible must be real then since it steers the behaviors of christians.

Where did this come from?

But yes, the choices made after reading a religious text are real

reality is what you perceive it to be, so no emotions are very real.

Kek ok

This is the exact mentality that is destroying the world, you're basically an SJW and ISIS encourager.

okay

>For example: You think "everyone hates me" then you get anxious. The thought "everyone hates me" and the anxiety is real, but no one hates you, so the hypothetical "fact" "everyone hates me" is not real.

However, if this thought persists for a long enough time you will begin to manifest traits and actions that will result in your belief actually becoming true.

Emotions may not be real but they can result in real actions and real consequences.

What are they? A chemical? Can you take more of one chemical to control your emotions? Is that hormones? Are hormones why there are so many LGBT?

is this the same person who said emotions aren't real?

people act on emotions. it's as real as choices.

>is the herpa-derpa in your head real because herpa derpa doo?
yes, it's real. just not in the physical plane and totally confined in your mindscape.

that said, choices are also totally confined in your mindscape and are not in the physical plane.

if it is real simply because it is manifested in your actions then every imagined entity in your head that have effected your action is real as well.

and you are being an intellectually dishonest hippie by deciding that this rule should only be applied to choices.

>Courage emotion?
you mean, like you know.....bravery

duh

>X happens, Y happens in spite of or because of X
>X isn't reality, Y is reality
>Hurrrr every entity you've ever thought of is real then

Why are you struggling with this? That falls under the X category, unless it's a resulting choice/action, then becomes Y.

It is not dishonest to posit an axiom whatsoever.

It's intellectually dishonest to spin the concept incorrectly, so you can throw around some type of religious strawman.

It won't work. Stop it.

I did the 30 day retreat in Bangalore.

It sounds cliché but it changed my life.

What is bravery?

Care to share how so?

who says there has to be a point. understanding that emotions are just chemical reactions doesn't make them any less real

an emotion ya dingus

yeah but why try when you can take the shortcut and just use chemicals?

This right here.

Emotions are there for a reason, and there's little benefit to people who ignore them. As far as I can see, they are like biological/psychological programs for motivating toward/away from certain behavior and experiences. Probably useful in their default state for survival and reproduction in a prehistorical tribal environment... but they can largely be used for benefit in the modern world if you are work with and master their use.

This thread is embarrassing.

Yeah, meditate every day. Keeping mentally fit is just as important as keeping physically fit, and meditation is a big part of it for me.

Occasionally do shrooms and have done DMT (ayahuasca) a couple of times. Life changing experiences, definitely profound along the same lines as meditation can be. Much more intense than meditation, but I can't do them regularly as I seem to need a long recovery time (both physically, and to emotionally/mentally process what I experienced), so meditation is my go-to daily.

This is correct.

You can live well with your emotions and mitigate conflict by thinking before reacting.

If you think too much then it gets a bit complicated, but that shouldn't be a problem here.

>Implying people are correctly educated to have a mindset that results in feeling the appropriate emotions leading to growth and prosperity

That's especially foreign on this board.

Choice > living in emotions

Emotions are a significant part of your perception of reality, and your perception is all the reality you get.

The fact that something might "objectively" be an illusion doesn't change the fact that, if you experience them, they are part of your experience.

That isn't to say they are "uncontrollable". They are part of your mind, and it is important to work with your mind as a partner, to work with your neurochemistry as a tool, rather than to dismiss it (or worse, fight it).

Emotions are useful, and if you are the master of your mind then emotions can be extremely beneficial and not entirely involuntary.

>he still believes in reality

Haven't you seen Lost? It was all a dream, let it go, enjoy it.

I'm not implying that people in general are well educated on using emotions for their own benefit. I think the opposite is true.

It is simply my experience that this doesn't need to be the case, and that people can easily start down the path that is education in this skill set.

Emotions are an adaptative mechanism intended to make you adapt to complex social environments, wich rise your chances of survival.

>feels are chemicals in your brain
>chemicals in your brain aren't real

don't you have some back to school shopping to do?

I'm a psychology nerd. I've got a degree in this nonsense. You're kind of right, in that emotions are just perceptions, but they play a greater part in the whole that is cognition. Modern psychology looks at it like this:

stimulus->emotional response->cognition->feeling

So basically, a thing happens, you have a gut reaction, you think about how you feel in reference to this emotional response, then you have a feeling. Some guy kicks your dog, you get this hot feeling in your stomach, you say to yourself "he's hurting my dog. I love that dog! This feeling is anger!"

What OP is suggesting is what most communication psychologists say to people who have problems thinking through their feelings and rationalising them into the scope of the world.

Basically, you look at your feeling and say "is this okay for me to feel? Is there a broader perspective that I am missing?"

It's a healthy strategy.

there is a difference between practice and reward and just getting to the reward with no effort.

Enlightenment is not the end result, its the practice itself.

>x happens herpa derp
then why are emotions excluded you stupid fuck?

goddamn.

Seven heaven trips confirm, thank you for the contribution and clarification

>stimulus->emotional response->cognition->feeling

I'll use this wisely

Meditate folks!

Nigga you all in yo emotions

You bitch made

That's why you'll never make it

what the fuck does this have to do with Veeky Forums

kys

Keeping mentally/emotionally fit is just as important as keeping physically fit, and the two often go hand in hand.

Understanding and having a good handle on your emotions is a big part of the path to consistently working out for some people as well. I think this thread belongs here.