What are the advantages of squatting over leg pressing...

What are the advantages of squatting over leg pressing? Is it bad if I replace squatting with a heavier leg press (since it's vertical)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You'll never be natty if you don't use free weights, fucking dyel.

leg pressing leaves a ton of muscle mass untrained compared to a squat. it's not really an alternative to squatting at all. it's an assistance exercise at best, but there are a million better assistance exercises to choose from.

Is there a proper squat alternative for more casual lifters? I'm legit scared of squatting.

Leg press is snap city waiting to happen. Also it doesn't allow you to use a full range of motion. It also eliminates every stabilizer and balancing muscle that would be involved in the squat.

not really. why are you scared of squatting? if you're afraid then just use light weights until you get the form down then increase slowly. you think your knees will suddenly explode under the insane load of 30kg or something?

Proper? No.

You can do a lot of leg isolations on machines like leg extensions, back extensions, lunges, leg press, calf raise, hamstring curl. But it won't train the lower half of your body as effectively as a full range of motion barbell squat will.

Squatting is a better exercise in every way, but you can just leg press if you really want. Dorian Yates never squatted and he was one of the biggest cunts around. Leg pressing is more dangerous though, and never (never) do it like the bloke in your pic

I'm scared of fucking up: losing balance, dropping the bar, I don't know. Of course i'm not retarded and will probably be okay, but it's just a vulnerable position to be in. I guess i'll start with really light plates.

I'm new to all this as you realize, as of now I only do leg press and leg extensions. It is a "beginner" plan though, the instructor told me he'll build me a more serious one in two weeks.

It's just a stock image the leg press machine at my gym isn't even like that.

Start with just the bar. If you want, try curling it even and do stuff with it so you get familiar with it. Then you can put the bar on your back and try squatting with just the bar.

Front squats.

Why are you scared of squatting?

>I guess i'll start with really light plates.

There's nothing wrong with that desu. Don't listen to the dyels that say "ONLY USE THE RACK IF YOU CAN SQUAT 2PL8!!!"
As long as you get good form, it doesn't matter what weight you start out at.

I used to squat up to 3pl8 and fucked my knees real too. Haven't squatted in two months already and still have pain. I just let leg press to feel the void

>Start with just the bar. If you want, try curling it even and do stuff with it so you get familiar with it.

Make sure you do that inside the squat rack, safer that way.

sorry to jack the thread but it isn't worth making a new one

5'4 skeletal girl (102 pounds) wants to squat but because no muscles can't even lift the bar (lmfao). can i just use free weights or no

if so do I just hold my arms out as i would with a bodyweight squat? thanks

>Is there a proper squat alternative for more casual lifters? I'm legit scared of squatting.

Yes. It's called 'Squats'.

Quit being a pussy. What other simple/high reward things in life do you run away from because you are 'legit scared' of it and are ok with being a slave your fears?

I'm bench press so it's not like I've never touched a bar.

Alright. People at my gym have been nice so far. What's a light weight for a squat though? On the leg press machine I can do 10 reps with 80 kg if I really wanna work my muscles, and 50~kg is quite easy for me.

hey girl

Then put it on your back and squat it if you're familiar with it.

Bodyweight squats until you can handle the bar

Then get your form down and squat more each time.

ok cool
thank you nice person

Would recommend goblet squats with either dumbells or kettlebell. However I'd make sure you can actually squat properly. If you're that skelly you might not be able to actually do a bodyweight squat with good form, so focus on that before anything. No bouncing out of the bottom, keep a straight back (neutral spine) and make sure you brace your core.

Also, please eat.

lol dude it's not like squatting is a passion of mine. I'm sorry if I come off as a jerk saying that on Veeky Forums but I just want to be healthier, surely not to fuck my back for good, so i'm totally fine with being a slave to this fear if it's justified (which is apparently not the case...).

Guess i'll give it a shot. Thanks mate.

>fine with benching
>scared of squatting
I mean, when it gets heavy then squatting is terrifying but you're far more likely to actually hurt yourself by benching with bad form.

Thank you. I'll study some youtube vids on these. i've recently started counting calories because i was under the impression i was eating enough but that's obviously false. working on it. thanks again.

You're not supposed to lift the bar, but get under it.

But yeah, I suggest you start w/ bodyweight squats then do frontsquats with a lighter bar before progressing to back squats w/ an olympic bar.

Also, with your strength, you probably aren't strong enough to adjust the height on a squat rack, so ask someone to do it for you. And don't adjust the height of a safety/bar holder while the bar is still on the pin if you're too weak to hold up the bar.

t. Saw a girl trap herself 3 times under a bar in really stupid ways in the a squat rack next to me, I helped her twice and a random dude saved her the last time

Squatting should become your passion.
WALK THE RIGHTEOUS PATH
FORGOE AESTHETICS
EMBRACE THE T REX INSIDE

>not to fuck my back for good, so i'm totally fine with being a slave to this fear if it's justified (which is apparently not the case...).

Anything, done stupidly, can hurt you. Don't do it stupidly.

But then, don't do anything stupidly....

squats don't put as much stress on knees as leg press

Yeah I mean it literally weighs only 45lbs (20 kilos). No big deal.

I should tell you though, it's actually easier to squat with weight than just the bar because you can recruit more muscles with a heavier load than just the bar that weighs next to nothing. Same principle as squeezing just your own hand while squeezing a bar that weighs more than your own bodyweight. Your muscles will contract harder to keep hold of the heavy as fuck bar than holding on to nothing.

right but i can't even like, support the bar it's pretty pathetic

will screenshot this. thank you

Just do leg press, its good. That is what I do too.

Squat is a meme and is not good for your back in the long run.

I was nervous about squatting too, it's really not bad. Keep in mind that you cannot squat as much as you leg press in almost all cases.

>Leg press is snap city waiting to happen.
No it is not. It is only snap city if you are retarded or use a machine that pushes for you.

What do you mean 'be natty'? As long as you lift and don't use roids you're a natty

Do dumbbell or goblet squats until you can handle the bar
There's a Rippetoe video about how he got some 70 year old woman to be able to squat iirc, so watch that

Felt very safe for some reason. And the form came pretty naturally. I guess i'll work my form and quit being a pussy.

Who doesn't makes stupid mistakes

Even more of a reason to practice with the bar, I'd rather learn the difficult way than mess up when I actually load some weight.

I felt really comfortable on the press machine, no way i'll try to squat the same weights.

Thanks guys, i'll start working on my squats next time i'm at the gym!

The first time you squat, just do it with the bar for a set or two to get used to the movement. Then add 10kg on either side, most untrained adult men can handle this. If it's too light, add 2.5's or 5's on each side.

Leg press to squat won't translate that well, but it's not a problem. You'll probably find your squat improves really quickly. If you're not a retard who tries to add 20kg onto their previous lift, you'll be fine. Just start light.

DR. PAVEL, I'M BENCH PRESS

>What's a light weight for a squat though?
Lightest weight possible is nothing. No bar. Just you, squatting.

If that's too easy for ya, then yeah, the bar is where it's at. It gives you a nice feel for how squatting is going to feel when you add more weights.

If that's still too little for you, then you can incrementally add more wiehgts, but still do a set or two warmup with the bar, just to get the feel for it.

Leg presses builds way more leg strength than is useable irl vs squats unless you somehow wedge yourself between 2 objects and push with your legs entirely.

Squats aren't as important as Veeky Forums makes them out to be but they're also the easiest and most effective way to build lower body strength without training with several different exercises ontop of also running up hills or doing sprints.

Leg press is a great way to fuck up your knees and lower back.

squatting ruined my body

please protect yours

eating like shit and not developing your upper pupper. thats what ruined your body dont blame sqwats

You've never lifted a weight before in your life.

should've added a couple sets of curls and triceps extensions and it'd all have been fixed, right?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

after a cut and decent cardio probably

365 squat
205 bench
385 deadlift
145 press
all for five reps

i do lift though. i spent the last 10 months lifting three times a week while running starting strength

Ruined your body? What did it do exactly? All I see is an overweight dude. Did squatting make you overweight?

squatting: not even once

You need to stop stuffing your face you fat fuck.

mr. rippetoe told me to, you fucking idiot!

Don't listen to all these fucking retards. Are squats hands down more superior to the leg press in every single way? Yes. But it's not like it's not gonna do jack shit for you. Leg press + RDLs or SLDL's are fucking fine for leg developlent and will help with your everyday life, just not to the extent that squats do.

Even Rippetoe's ludicrous dietary advice says not to go above ~17% bodyfat, you are in the mid 20s easily

LOL. I'M SURE YOU READ THAT ON STARTING STRENGTH, RIGHT? TOPKEK

apparently someone didn't

You're so fucking retarded dude.

Care to elaborate?

You also have to consider that squatting activates more muscles than leg pressing (e.g. shoulders, traps and even chest, to some extent)

Name at least 10,000 of those exercises then faggot.

Ditto, fucked my lower back 2 weeks ago, still hurts, how long till I should consider going to a doc, I mean the pain is disappearing gradually but I really don't know if I fucked up

You're a fucking pussy man.

You're weak, and fat.

jason? is that you?

than

Leg press is a mene

10 months and all for 5 reps. I think he's doing just fine.

At least when you leg press you dont risk your tampons falling out

>fuck up squat
>drop the bar
>There's a big noise

>fuck up leg press
>your knees now bend the other way

Which is scarier?

>, the instructor told me he'll build me a more serious one in two weeks.
Of course he did. Then he can hit you for a other session. PTs are salesmen. Nothing more. Read starting strength and practical programming. You're now more qualified than the trainer with his 3 week course.

This
Squatting is far safer than the leg press. I squat 435lbs highbar, and I even feel uneasy whenever I use the leg press as an accessory.

he's right

I do both. I squat for strength and leg press for endurance

Leg Press more more volume. If you're looking to become strong then squat. IF you're looking to build big ass quads then just leg press. However there's nothing special at all about leg pressing more than 500lbs. I don't even understand why people brag about leg press records.

Leg press+deadlifts>Squatz meme

>not doing 5/3/1 squats and 3x8-12 leg press as assistance

I tried incorporating leg presses as an accessory (after my usual front and high bar back squats). The position is unnatural and shit fucked up my back.

Instead of doing machines for accessories, I just do stuff like box squats, pin squats, pause squats, and lunges.

why the fuck are you scared of squatting?

there's so few ways to hurt yourself, unlike deadlifting or benching without a spotter

Here

youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

Dont watch that art of manliness bullshit
Dont watch rippletoes video of squat his squat are trash
And dont take any of your friends advice on how to squat

Yo /ffit/ my little community college doesn't have a squat rack, would i be better off doing bodyweight squats and lunges and shit like that at home to train on my legs?

I'm doing squats right now by going to a sister school and there gym is way bigger, so ill have to stop squatting by late august

The real fear of squatting is that you'll lose height over time doing it

Start with the NormieMachine, once you are confident enough try Squatting like a man

Try goblet squats. Look it up on Youtube.

I've been doing squats without a problem for a few years.. but I've added 20kg to my set in the last few months, and the result is that my knees are starting to hurt more after each time I do them.

It's at a point now where I did squats last weekend and they were so painful I haven't done them since.

Could be a form issue. Or you need to do accessories?

If you're squatting really heavy I'd recommend getting those knee brace thingies. And a belt.

London?

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

Are you perhaps in London?

>And a belt.

ELI5 why a belt helps your squat?

my gym doesn't have a squat rack
only leg and smith machines
what do I choose?

A new gym

It's literally in the dietary section of the book.

Helps you maintain core pressure

I like to do dumbell skullcrushers in the legpress after squatting and just chill inthe nice comfy seat between sets and pump out a few reps just for additional volume in leg training.
But for getting strenght actual it is basically worthless.

london?

Gomad is just for the skinny kids, you know?
But nice stats.

This.
Rippetoe explains the mechanics really good, but his extreme focus on lowbar is an stress injury waiting to happen, on unsupervised unfit beginners when the weight is big.
Just fell which squad style feels more natural for you and do it until you know what you are doing.
And a deep , technically good highbar squad is a thing of beauty.

There are no advantages. It's less efficient and far more dangerous

You think you will break your back with your sub4pl8 squat?
Topkek lowbar feels unnatural but so does arching the back in bench and so is deadlifting with tightening everything.