Running general

Reminder that if you want to run any distance longer than an oval track at least some of your workouts should be easy, slow and long and you shouldn't get winded.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iPoE9rsT3Y8
youtu.be/jbWeMSl38GY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Running slow increases your lactate threshold, allowing you to run faster and longer without getting winded.

Can anyone recommend a 10k training plan?

1 long easy run a week.
2 hard days (tempo runs, intervals, fartleks, strength, etc)
Fill the rest with recovery runs/rest/whatever else.
Having a day of cross training is always good for variation and injury prevention.

Depends how many weeks you have until race, but the rule of thumb is don't increase anything by more than 10% a week to keep from getting hurt. Increase less to be conservative. Map out your plan out backwards from race date. Always rest the day before the race, rest or recovery run 2 days before.

>Map out your plan out backwards from race date
Thanks for the advice. Makes absolute sense.

Also leave some room for error. There's going to be days where you need to rest for whatever reason or real life getting in the way.

Is that just an app or does it require one of those Garmins?

Good job!

I'll keep it in mind. I'm actually recovering from a 4 month full stop. Will be probably reporting and asking for advice on these running generals. Thank you bro.

Brilliant. Would you tell us what are you training for? Advice?

Looks like runtastic. If you have any android or OS phone you can download it and use it.

Ok i wanna bring my shitty 1.5 mile time from 6 to 5 mins, what do i need to do.

runkeeper is based my friends runtastic is okay if you like being constantly reminded of the gold package or whatever the hell that costs 20 bucks a month or something. Runkeeper also has a more accurate GPS I've noticed

Does /run/ prefer trails, parks, or neighborhood running?

paved trails > parks > desolate road > neighborhood > rudimentary trails > City road >

>Running at night is the best

I run the 10 km in 53 min.
Do you think with a 6 weeks specific training I can hit below 50 min ?

Yes

There is a hill outside my house I've been tackling. I want to get to 8 reps of 50 m sprints with rest period being the walk down. currently doing 6 before wanting to die from exhaustion. Any criticisms?

Fuck running.

My calves shrank 3 inches since I started running without chaning my lifting/diet.

Running ruined my legs I look like a fucking curlbro now.

>just ran my first 5km tonight

Anyone else find that their aerobic gains decay faster than anything else? Depressing...at least it's also the easiest to recover.

Paved/gravel trail master race
I wish people wouldnt walk thier dogs on them though, fuckers get in my way

Try running in the middle of a busy city. Its the WORST FUCKING THING EVER. I swear people will see me come towards them with great speed and not give a single fuck or show respect by moving out of the way of a fit masterrace trying to do some self-improvement while these fat fucks eat their ice cream and catch pokemons.

REEEE

If you can run 1.5 miles in that time, you'll need an extra room in your house for all your trophies and medals.

4 minute mile pace is like the gold standard for world class athletes.

None at all. Hill sprints are tough. Building strength would help you hit the next two if you already have a good aerobic base.

People say it takes 5 to 7 days to start losing aerobic capacity. If I didn't lift for that long I'd feel soft and weak. so I guess for me no.

Been there. Early morning runs are the way to go in cities. Sidewalks are clear, rush hour hasn't crapped out a bunch of pollution, and in the summer it's way cooler.

Cheers for the feedback. I'm into the 3rd week of stronglifts 5x5 covering the strength part. Sitting at 37.5kg for the squats. More than that I notice poor form

Reminder that warmups are important.

Good job! Keep up the good work!

I'm not a trainer or pro or anything, but I think if completing hill sprints is your goal 3x12 or super sets, train to failure would be better. Gotta build your bodys ability to break down lactic acid. This is essentially your recovery time.

Focus on exhaling on your walk down the hill. Make sure you're breathing with your stomach. Once you're taking shallow breaths, it's a wrap. When your body is breaking down lactic acid (a product of anaerobic exercise) it creates a whole lot of co2 that's carried to the lungs in your bloodstream. That's what happens when you feel winded. Your lungs are filled with more co2 than normal. You gotta get that co2 out and fresh air in.

Just make sure not to neglect your cardio base when you pile on the strength.

Can anyone help me..

I need a 8 minute mile and a half run time. I'm currently 10:20 without any training.

What kind of running should I be doing to get there? Are there any plans like SS specifically for speed, not distance? Thanks all

I disagree with that saying. When I was doing training this year for my first marathon, I was able to get max distance over a two day span (ran 6 miles evening, then ran 20 next morning). My ankles hurt a lot after that so I took a two week break. When I did the repeat to see if it was a fluke, it wasn't. I was still able to do it.

Now, I did take a month long break after the marathon and found a major hit in how long I could go. After that, even an hour was a struggle.

You don't limit yourself. Even your fastest 5kers do longer runs. It helps build your endurance. They also do tempo and interval runs. Another suggestion: hill sprints.

Why do you need to do an 8 minute mile and half? I don't know of any kind of test that require that. When I tested for state trooper position, I did it in the same time you did, and i got max points. The cut off for one less point was 12 minutes.

please rate my routine

warmup: 10 minutes
- 5 min fast walking
- 3 min light jog
- 5 min fast walking with 2% incline

run at 80% for 4 min at 2% incline
jog for 2 min at 2% incline
- repeat that 4 times

I was told by my gym teacher that this was HIIT
but I have seen that most HIIT routines have much shorter intervals than 4 minutes
I guess my routine is a hybrid?
it REALLLY drains me

If you haven't trained, I'd really focus on building a base for the first 8 weeks. This means running long, easy, and slow. Your heart rate should be 70% max and you should be able to speak a sentence without taking a breath while running. The idea is not to cross the point where your body starts using anaerobic systems over aerobic systems.

Just having a good base alone will probably get you to 8 minutes. Add in some speed work and you can get it down to 7. Just guessing, I don't know your weight for age or what sort of base fitness you have.

To start to lose it, is what I meant. Doesn't mean you turn into a jellyfish on day 8.

Congrats on the marathon, planning a half next summer and full the year after that. Year after that, ice cream.

I've been running using one of those couch to 5k apps and did my first 5k today, 4 weeks after starting. It was really slow but I'm happy I managed it. Going to try to work up to 10k now.

It's definitely an interval workout. If you were doing 95% or max, yea, those intervals would be shorter.

Looks like a decent workout but I wouldn't make the only thing you do.

Goodjob.
I'd focus on making sure you can maintain your pace throughout the 5k before trying to double the distance. Maybe even negative splits if you're tearing it up.

Keep at it.

Im a 6'3'' 190lbs lifter and plenty of people dont move out of my way on runs either. Its almost always tiny mother fuckers that just stand there like a deer in the headlights. I just want to yell get the fuck out of my way little faggot.

Can an untrained person run 10k

Wouldnt say its impossible
You will probably enter snap city though

Reminder that having a good aerobic base is the #1 thing for running any distance over a mile.

If you're getting winded during your runs, slow down. Going easy will actually build endurance faster than going hard.
run easy and run long.

I dont do runs over an hour

Yes. An untrained person can run a marathon. Look up the PBS Nova documentary on it. A few of the paricipants were fat and one was a heavy smoker.

Depends on your activity levels. For a moderately active person, The problem will most likely be from hurting tendons and soft tissues rather than getting too tired and conning out.

So they could do it, but they'd hurt themselves.

You cover more than 1500 meters in that hour though, right?

If you go for an hour, you have a good base. If you're starting out or do nothing but lift, you dont.

Reminder to get some sugars within the first half hour after your run if you don't want to feel exhausted tomorrow.

If I dont eat after my runs I get sleepy af.
I usually drink a oat and protein shake right after I get in the door

I usually load up on cola zero

Can I make strength/mass gains with running if I'm on a caloric surplus?

i have 30 days to get somewhat conditioned for military.

im already strong and my calisthenics are top tier but i dont run.

suggestions?
inb4 "run." no shit. looking more for something that'll get me used to running without gassing more than running a certain distance or in a certain time.

Yes you literally just replace the calories you run off with a protein meal, now you are making cardio and strength gainz

of course
just make sure you actually eat at a surplus

Hill sprints.

Or any sort of explosive sprinting.

Just jog slowly everyday unless something starts to hurt.
I remember an army friend saying 2 miles in 15 minutes was their morning cardio or fitness test or something, so make that your goal. If you started to get winded, walk for a bit.
Never run through pain, you'll have plenty of time for than in the army.

cool thanks

Question. I'd like to lower my bodyfat percentage a bit while staying at around the same weight. I run around 25 miles per week currently, but that number is gradually increasing. Would adding a weight lifting/bodyweight routine help with this goal?

lower bf% but same weight = lose fat + gain muscle to replace

eh. its finnicky and could take a while. eat the calories you need to maintain your current weight and excess protein to promote muscle growth. just takes longer and youll need to be precise about your calories if you're really committed. and yes, lift. you can't gain muscle if you don't work them. also, be sure you are taking into account all the calories you burn through exercise. running 25+ miles a week AND lifting is gonna require a lot more eating than you are currently doing. use a website, find your TDEE, and be precise. good luck

youtube.com/watch?v=iPoE9rsT3Y8

Do the best you can with the time you have.

You'd probably hurt yourself

I absolutely need running shoes, what are the kinds of things to look for as a new runner? I don't like spending money so the cheaper the better (within reason obviously).

I'm guessing 4a is like HIIT routine?

How long til 50 min 10k if I can run a 25min 5k? My endurance needs a lot of work.

Hm okay. Thanks for the help. I know how important diet is in all of this so I'm trying to get a handle on how many calories I should eat and how much of each macro.

Running at dawn is the best imo desu senpai
-no dumbass drunk drivers or lotta traffic
-no-one up to harass you
-keeps you awake and feeling great throughout the day
I did when I was 14 and 60 pounds overweight (wasn't apart of a race or anything) and got a minor stress fracture that made it unable to jog / run again for 2 months. I also did it in shitty sneakers with my laces untied on the foot it happened on, for over half of the run.

If you're healthy, normal weight, and go at a modest pace for your condition I would even say you wouldn’t even suffer any consequences of a stress fracture. Maybe some minor shin-splits or something similiar for a week.

You can buy the previous generation of shoes for like 40% off what it cost when it was current generation so buy clearence.

It took me a few pairs of shoes and maybe a year or so to really figure what kinds of shoes were right for me. Everyone's different so it's hard to say what'd be good for you.

The advice I can give is dont buy minimalist because you'll probably hurt yourself. Also in my experience, stability shoes cause more problems than they solve. Really high heel to toe drops can also cause problems for some people.

>tfw get butthurt at how easy I see skellies running my times online
>"just started running, did my first 5k in 25 mins"
Fuck off that took me like 5 months to hit
REEEEEEE

Do couch to 5k, then couch to 10k.

Yea but watch em try to help you move a couch.
Who cares? You got better and can now do something the average person probably cant, assuming you live in a fat lazy western nation.

Underrated. Did you followed a plan or just went for it? Either way good work bro!

Yeah I know I look way more impressive running then those little skellys but it just bothers me that it took months of training to get a not shit time. 2bh it just motivates me to get faster.

>you should be able to speak a sentence without taking a breath while running
When people say that, is it about halfway into the run or near the end of it?

Hello everyone!
I'm looking to improvisation my sprinting speed and was wondering if You guys had any good excercises. So far i have just been doing 5-10 Max speed 100 meter runs about 3 Times a day.

At any point in the run.

Lrn2/rest. There's no reason to do splits unless you are a Kenyan.

I'm sorry if i sound stupid, but what is lrn2 and is 12,04 sec an ok 100m sprint time?

Learn to.

And yes, that's an overall average time. In time, you'll get better. Is sprinting going to be yoyr main mode running? If so, don't forget to do some long distance running along with lifting.

Ayt. Thanks.

Wtf fitness test needs a 8minute 1.5 Thats like 5 minute miles.

Who /strava/ here?

Whats the point of it

Got to love running in a fatigued state--especially the aerobic gains it gives you.

I lift alot and my I can run 25km without dying. I Want to increase my sprint speed because im going to play in the Swedish national rugby team.

Do you do any kind of hill sprints? What about your long runs? Do you incorporate hills in it? What about the grade? You say you can run 25k without dying. That tells me you're not doing any kind of tempo or interval runs. Incorporate them into your routine.

Otherwise, you seem to got everything else. It's more along the lines of practicing to get better.

Sweetness says hillsprints are the way to go for explosive power.
youtu.be/jbWeMSl38GY

Also, just Google some 100m training routines and incorporate any of the exercises from that into your training if you don't have anything similar already.

get yourself a pair of like $60-80 Asics, those motherfuckers last for like 2-3 years of actually being running shoes, then another 5 for general shit shoe activities like mowing the lawn, walking in rivers, etc.

should I get a fitbit, they seem expensive but could probably give me a better idea of how I'm doing and could add some motivation by being in the daily competitions with others.

If you get the heart rate one, getting your resting heart rate daily is great for seeing how your training is progressing. They're not great for your heart rate during workouts though. Get a chest strap for that.

Any runner will completely annihilate not runners in all the step challenges.

Im training to get this qt3.14 who is into trail running. Ive been doing cardio for the last 7 months pretty solid but just got into running the last 3-4 weeks.

How to train for marathon? Burn out at like 10 miles atm. Should I focus on going as far as possible everytime, or slowy build up constancy

Trail running can be dangerous if you're not conditioned for it. So much more fun than road running though. Work on balance and lateral stability. Toughen up those ankles, get those hips nice and stable.

can someone explain how doing all this shit is preferable to just getting some cardio and weights in everyday while eating healthy? seems a bit extreme

How often do you run? What are your distances on your other runs? How's your diet?

Does anyone here drink protein shakes post-run or at all? Is there a reason to?

I drink chocolate milk. It has the perfect combo for restoring all the carbs I burned and protein to enhance muscle recovery.

I drink shakes with spirutein. It's got a good amount of protein and a bunch of vitamins and junk.

There's no reason for a shake that's like 2 grams protein to 1 gram of carbs. But 2 to 4 grams of carbs per gram of protein is a good idea.

I try to do 5-7 miles every other day. Vegetarian

been working on it, started with some very mild offroading, gonna work my way up once I find a more advanced trail.

How is your pacing during your runs? How is your route (e.g. has a lot of hills?).

One thing you might want to try is splits or running two days in a row. What I do for my training is I run 6 miles at night, then the very next morning, I run my long run (right now, I'm up to 16 miles and will continue to 20 miles before I taper). I don't run hard or fast at all during these two specific runs. They should be slower.

When you start maybe run 3 miles at night, then the next morning do 6. Then build up the 6 mile run 1 mile once per week. Once you're up to 10, bump up the 3 mile up one mile until you're up to 6. Once that is up to 6, continue bumping up the 10 mile until you get to 16-20 miles.

In one of your earlier runs, maybe run 3 miles. It doesn't really have to be fast, but if you're wanting to build speed, then feel free to run it fast. Maybe even add some hills and maybe do some hill sprints afterwards. Or, while running the 3 miles, do 10 seconds to 1 minute where you're running fast, and do this for each mile.

If you're vegetarian, I can most likely assume you're getting enough carbs? What do you eat afterwards? What are you eating before a run? Make sure you load up on carbs. After your run, load up on protein and carbs in a 3:1 ratio to aid in recovery. Whenever you start with your longer runs (10 miles or more), start making sure you have something to replenish carbs like Gatorade. Once you start in the 13+ mile range, you have a good chance of hitting the wall. Drinking Gatorade will replenish enough carbs to get you a little bit further.