QTDDTOT

Last one hit bump limit and I've got questions myself

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10891640
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If im still doing low weights (1 pl8 bench) on most of my work outs and im relatively new to lifting, how long should i be resting?

I'm starting ICF 5x5 and the recommended time for resting is 3-5 minutes, but that seems asinine at my level. I generally take 45-60 second breaks at most between sets.

Also, my dieting is very poor but I want to fix it. I've never eaten my greens as a kid and i hate them, but obviously need to learn to eat them. Where can i find recipes that apply to a 2550 calorie diet per day that will help me eat properly. I'm really bad with eating right and food in general, and need a lot of help finding what to eat and how much.

Alright yo, I just need some feedback on my routine
3 day split:

Chest:
3x5 flat bench
3x5 incline bench
3x5 cable flies
5x5 Triceps (cables/skullcrushers/dips etc.)

Legs:
5x5 reg squat
3x5 standing calf raises
5x5 hamstring extension
3x5 seated calf raises
3xf core (crunches or wtf ever)

Back:
1x5,1x5,1x3,1x1 Deadlifts
3x5 shrugs
3x5 lats (cable or pullup)
3x5 OHP
3x5 rear shrugs
3x5 CURLS
fxf Grip strength
and sometimes farmer carrys

The reason for mostly 3x5 and 5x5 is that I go with much higher weights/more intensity, a lot of them are near failure.

If milk is high in estrogen what is an equivalent food but high in testosterone?

For resting I always wait until my heartrate/breathing more or less return to normal. For me this ends up being 2-3m

If you have a blender you can blend a whole bunch of stuff together. One I used for a long time is spinach/frozen bananas/milk/honey/cocoa/protien powder. Nothing special but its a good way to start I guess

Bull semen

Enjoy your nodelts

Preeeettty sure OHP works delts. I guess I could add an isolation but ehh..

3.5 years lifting and still somehow doing beginners programs.
My lifts are shit because I'm always trying to cut

What is a good program?

yes I'm an idiot

friends, ive been having moist nightmares for a little while now, i usually displease the angels once every two or three days but some times i touch the wand of sin two three times in a span of twenty four hours.
Ive not had many slumbers in which my desires take hold of me in the past decade of my post pubescent life.
In addition to that, every time I battle the serpent, I get some venom being ejected from the eye of the blade I wielded

Semen discharge (wet dreams) ive not been having up to recently taking place in my sleep and after touching myself. what is causing it and how do I proceed?
Ive got a camp coming up where I have to share a dorm with m8s, how to I prevent myself leaking in the mornings? Just jerk it at night?

Read up on taoist semen retention.

I need gym shorts with pockets any recommendations?

Is there a site that puts out the available exercises you can do by putting in the types of weights and gym equipment you have?

Also is there a weight limit on tire flipping that is too much?

get your diet sorted, end of.
even if you're cutting, which should not be more than ~300kcal a day deficit, if you've got your macros sorted you should be fine.
if, however, youre trying to cut by eating like 1000 kcal a day total, fuck you, eat more.

honestly I can generally recommend bulking. it's fun, you'll enjoy lifting more

tried just whacking off during the day?

I'm a beginner DYEL. I read the sticky and wanna make sure I don't fuck things up. Is SS actually a meme? I'm only on my 3rd week of it but don't want to get t-rex mode. Is there anything I should add to it? My main goal is to build up strength for the wrestling season (probably unrealistic with only a little over 3 months tho) and get stronger in the long run.

So I've been doing Deadlifts 5x5 routine for a couple of weeks now. I really only started it because my friend told me about it and I didn't know any other routines. Will this routine also help with toning? I want to build strength, but I want to also feel good about my look. Is there anything I should add to the routine to tone my abs for example? I already do curling so my arms are already pretty toned (like a ball).

I'm dying of laughter
this is just too much I swear

How do I know if I have herniated disc?

Snap city on deadlifts gave me sciatica. The origin of the snap was off center a couple inches onto the hip.

I feel good but I stopped most lifts to recover. Only pain is sciatic nerve tingling and stretching that leg is very hard now at first.

Let's say it gives you t-rex mode which it doesn't, then just stop training legs the moment you reach t-rex? Not rocket science.

Great program for your purpose, good luck

Whats the most common mistakes when doing landmine 180?

I've been dieting for a while and my weight loss has stalled. Someone mentioned that taking a week or two break from a deficit "resets" your body and gets weight loss back on track.

Is there any truth to this? My friend claims it worked wonders for him and I know he lost like 50 pounds over half a year.

Im a fatass who is trying to get fit, (6' tall down to 236lbs from 270 since April), is it possible for me to also gain muscle during this time? I am a skelly covered in fat essentially so I've made noob gains but have stalled these last 3 weeks, is it the fact I'm cutting too many calories or not getting enough protein? Help obi Veeky Forums kenobi, you're my only hope.

it is possible to gain muscle

your calories and protein may be low, not that I can tell given the information though

make sure your deficit isn't too large (not significantly more than 500cal/day is standard), eating around 1.6g/kg in protein, and consider how long you've been lifting for - you may just need more intermediate style programming now (whilst on a cut at least)
physiologically it probably doesn't make a huge difference, but it gives you a mental and physical break so you can come back fresher again and ready to keep cutting - its the same reason cheat days work so well

a week is bordering on excessive however.

probably using shoulders too much as the primary movers

ask a doctor

anything that uses your muscles will help build muscles

'ab toning' is 90% losing weight. you can add an ab exercise or two when you're leaner

that sounds pretty convoluted. is there a particular piece of equipment you don't know what it's for or something?

>Also is there a weight limit on tire flipping that is too much?
when it's too heavy for you to lift

any shorts ever

do SS with accessories

>2016
>brosplit

you rest as long as you need to hit the next set properly.

if you feel ready after 30 secs, and you manage to hit your next set, then just rest 30 secs. rest time will increase as you get stronger

Are you supposed to feel lateral raises in your traps or am I doing them wrong?

Read the sticky for this one familio
Doctor if you are in enough pain
You've just reached your maintenance, reduce it further or increase the cardio you do.
You can build muscle and lose weight but it needs good calorie and macro control iirc (someone else might know more)

Yeah you can feel it a bit in your traps, just the nature of the movement

>You've just reached your maintenance, reduce it further or increase the cardio you do.
nut according to every tdee calc I find I should still be under maintenance...

Since you are dieting, your metabolism slows down accordingly

Read the sticky
Yes, but you will stall earlier than most

Pick a goal and stick with it. You can gradually taper calories up/down

Stats?
Eat less, or take a few days to eat at maintenance before continuing a deficit

See a doctor

>toning
Read the fucking sticky
There is no 'toning', there is only bigger or smaller in terms of fat or muscle

>Deadlifts 5x5 routine
You're probably a jackass, just to let you know

Also, read the fucking sticky

SS is a good routine. It's best to read the book first so you understand how to progress properly and how to add accessories
Progression is all that matters

If you start getting bigger and fear t-rex, you can reduce squat volume by switching to a greyskull template (pretty much the same, but alternate squat/dead instead of squatting every day). I don't know why anyone would turn down gains though

Try going to a fucking store like Wal-Mart

No. Just hop on a good, proven routine. Any good routine for beginners should be doable in any real gym
Weight limit is one that you can't do properly without hurting yourself or using bad technique

Post stats, lifts and routine
You should not still be permacutting after 3.5 years. You've obviously fucked up some major variables

You haven't even indicated frequency
Beginners have no business making their own routine

And yeah, the routine is shit. Exercise order is always a good indicator that one has no idea what they're doing, and you did fuck that up

>inb4 hurr durr explain
Not worth the time, see above

As long as you need to finish your sets
There are studies showing that shortening rest times has no real benefit past endurance

* Most tdee calcs don't factor this in accurately

No i understand basics but for dumbells, sand bags, and other non standard equipment. And to plan a workout routine to whats available isntead of subbing for every exercise

>

Just this again

Your traps become more involved the higher you bring the weight. This is why you will often not see people bringing their the weight higher than their shoulders

If you're new to a movement, it's always worth starting with light weight and get the feel for it properly. Good posture, thumbs above pinkies, don't cheat, always more than 8 rep sets

TDEE calculators are neve 100% accurate, nor is your own calorie counting. It's harder than people think. Taper down and see what happens

I'm starting to squat heavy (100kg) and my knees are starting to hurt. It's been two days since last squatting and they're still sore.
As I understand it, I must be putting too much pressure on my knees through incorrect form.

Any suggestions for fixing this?
thanks

other non-standard equipment is generally used for specific purposes. e.g. you wouldn't train sandbag squats, but you may want to train your ability to lift a sandbag to a height for a strongman competition.

dumbbells are quiet standard desu

This is always a ridiculous question. There's even a meme based on this question that has been mostly lost.

Everybody has potential. Just lift faggot. Read the sticky too

Post form check
There is nothing anybody can intelligently tell you without seeing your technique first (other than explaining how to fucking squat properly, which is a waste of time if you cannot research that on your own)
FFS you didn't even describe the knee pain in any way
>inb4 shitty attempt to describe it

>shoot video (for yourself or for us)
>read Starting Strength, the book, not the wiki
>get in-person coaching

Where abouts do they hurt on your knee, and at what point during the movement

Go get em tiger

Eating test increases estrogen.

Sounds stupid, but your aromatase enzyme metabolize oral test into estrogen (or at least most of it)

>probably using shoulders too much as the primary movers

Okay. But I feels it my back a little when I do it. Is that "ok/safe"?

i have got the the cold and today i went to the gym and didnt feel up to it at all when working out. What's the gneral consensus on lifting while sick? Is it better to take a break until i am feeling well again?

T-thanks
Will do

What about eating a dick does it increase test

Don't go to the gym while ill.
ever

First and foremost, do not get other people sick
If you feel up to it, go for it. If not, eat and sleep will help you get better faster

Basically, listen to your body

>a week is bordering on excessive however.
how many days would you suggest?

How do I measure this?

>Stats?
5'11" 178lbs 19.5% BF

Since you said you've plateaued, just drop another 300 kcal or exercise more

Okay, except that Im not a beginner, and I can deadlift 495. And no, fucking explain. Explain like Im a complete retard since thats how youre already treating me. And freq. is ABCXABC

I started benching free weights but I go alone, should I ask people at the gym to spot between reps (they're friendly and its a small town) or use smith again?

I can fail reps on my squats and be fine but not the bench

at that point I'm only eating 1200 calories a day...isn't that extremely low for a guy with my stats?

>Post form check
I have taken videos but not willing to post face/edit, apologies
>>read Starting Strength, the book
I'll have a look at the book, cheers

>Where abouts do they hurt on your knee, and at what point during the movement
no noticeable pain during squatting, only after. It hurts at the tendons above and below the kneecap.

So what do you guys do clothing wise?

I'm trying to bulk and slowly a lot of my t shirts are becoming a bit tight and it just looks like I'm wearing clothes too small for me despite only buying them recently and i'm planning to cut eventually

i'm barely affording to bulk nvm buy new clothes as well desu

just increase your daily cardio then

>should I ask people at the gym to spot between reps
Yeah, especially if it's anything close to a limit set. It's OK to give them specific instructions--"don't touch the bar unless it starts going down while I'm pushing up" or words to that effect--to avoid a bro-spot.

most people inherently know the difference between bad pain and just the muscle working.

if your core is tight throughout the movement I wouldnt worry

honestly I've been neglecting cardio. I might take a bit of advice from everyone who replied.

Take a break from my diet (that I've been on for 4 months now) for about a week, restart cardio, continue lifting.

Draw a terrible paint thing for me

You've learn things which is the most important part good j la

>tricep isolation for 5 reps
>deadlifts the day after a leg day that includes hamstring isolation
>core exercise until failure the day before doing heavy deadlifts
>shrugs as a second exercise, before pullups and OHP
>another variation of shrugs
>CURLS
>consistently training everything til failure with very little rest days
>no back exercises at all except pullups
>that push:pull imbalance
>fucking bicep isolation for 5 reps
>calves for 5 reps, like what the fuck man the calves aren't even meant to work like that
I absolutely don't believe you can even deadlift 350 lbs, let alone 495 lbs

I'm not here to get into any argument. But your routine is plainly shit. Enjoy your anger and lies and ignoring other replies

Just ask people to spot you before starting your working sets. People are literally happy to help you. Even the gym employees will help if asked

If you have a proper form check video, it's from the side and your face is hardly in it.
Just post it on youtube and make it unlisted/private
Nobody has ever gotten fucked on Veeky Forums from doing this

Also, since nobody suggested this. Consider stretching

I recently started working out at home with dumbbells and the weight of my body. Here's my routine

4 x max reps chin ups
4 x max reps dumbbell curl
4 x max reps push ups
4 x 8-12 dumbbell hammer grip curl
4 x 8-12 dumbbell over head press
2 x max plank

Can't do legs as of now because of a running related injury that I'm still recovering from. I've started doing this workout every day. Will it get me anywhere and is it ok to do each set once and move on to the next and then start over from the beginning or should I do the same sets in a row? If I do all sets of the same exercise at once I need to take longer breaks and that just seems like a waste of time. But then again what do I know, that's how everyone else seems to be doing it

Alright, awesome. Thank you my dudes :^)

whats your goal ?

To get massive of course. I'm rocking the skeleton mode atm

Im angry because you brushed my shit aside and assumed I was a beginner. If youre not going to give feedback in this kind of thread why both responding. Im also not lying or ignoring anyone. The reason Im asking for feedback is because I vaguely feel like I should switch routines.

Thank you for ACTUALLY pointing those things out.

Bodyweight exercises and dumbell curls for time won't achieve this, quickly anyway.
Go to a gym, and if that's not possible, buy a barbell, 120kg of plates, and a bench and jump on a routine endorsed by the sticky (tm)

I'm about to get a subscription for myself and my GF at a generic franchise gym. Gym should not have any problems in equipment.

Thing is, GF has been through a shitton of weird negative feedback through surroundings and is actually somewhat afraid of working out.

Low self esteem, thinks it's "giving in to the bullies."

She is willing to come, but I feel that it's a fragile time.

Any advice Veeky Forums?

Just some workout advice for females is also appreciated!

Thanks, thought as much. I'm planning on starting gym anyway once I recover from said leg injury

In all honesty stay away from it, let her decide, just remember.
>Everything you do is wrong in a woman's eyes

What are good assistance lifts to do on sl 5x5 if all Im too fat for chins and pulls and only have basic equipment (so no lat pulldowns)

Also are home row machines any good? That was really good cardio when I had a gym membership. Only thing I really miss from going to the gym

>Also, since nobody suggested this. Consider stretching
I'll make sure to do some stretches next time, thanks.

I've been reading through starting strength book as advised and the first thing to flag up is improper depth. Attached is a picture of me at the lowest point of a working set.
If this is not low enough, how much should I deload by to correct my form?

>Draw a terrible paint thing for me
what of?

strawpoll.me/10891640
w h i c h
o
n
e

forgot pic

You forgot to attach the pic, but I'm going to go ahead and point out that not reaching proper depth in a squat puts unnecessary stresses on your knees without properly transferring them to the hips (that are more easily able to handle the stress)

Again, you're not going to get any good specific advice without posting the video, but I'll probably reply again on the pic

Weight looks a tad forward and knees look like they are moving in, hard to tell.
And of the knee areas that are sore

If you squat alot and actually have quads. RANGER PANTIES BAEBAY

Now here's a stupid question: what preworkouts are good these days? I've stuck with caffeine pills and a little gatorade since I ran out of OG Jack3D, but I have a sudden hankering to sample crazy-making brightly-hued powders sold in shittily labeled containers.

>What are good assistance lifts to do on sl 5x5
Assisted chins with a band. Negatives (stand on a box to get to the top, lower yourself slowly.). Curls, DB/KB rows, dips if they don't bother your shoulders. Also, you should read Starting Strength instead of Mehdi's site, but eh.

>Also are home row machines any good?
Yep, very.

Weight is shifting forward, heels look like they are coming up (weight is definitely not shifted back onto heels either way), hip crease is not low enough

Deload and start again. Sucks to hear, but it is what it is
If you are truly reading SS, it will fix you up

This is a classic example of someone who just ran into the gym and started squatting without doing any research and didn't go to depth because they were afraid of bending over and hurting their back or going too low and hurtign their knees (both of which are dumb thoughts)

>Weight looks a tad forward and knees look like they are moving in, hard to tell.
ok thanks, looks like you are right

coloured black where the pain is

>Weight is shifting forward, heels look like they are coming up (weight is definitely not shifted back onto heels either way), hip crease is not low enough

What's frustrating is I've asked the people I go gym with (they lift nearly double what I do) to check my form and they've approved it - clearly I wouldn't have knee problems if I were doing it right though.

I will deload as you suggest, hopefully it won't take too long to work my way back up. What do you suggest as a percentage of my 5RM?

Looks like you have tight quads, do you foam roll them? A good way to test is to hold the area above your knee as tight as possible and squat, if it doesn't hurt as much, it's quad tightness

Asking strangers in the gym often leads to bad advice. Literally hte only person I've ever engaged in meaningful dialogue about the lifts were other people who were also actually competitive powerlifters

Most people, even those beyond the average bro, will just look at if your back is rounding or not and give you the thumbs up/down based on that.

I would say to just start how SS recommends you do.
Start with the bar, get the technique right FIRST
Add weight, keep good technique.
Repeat until your bar speed slows, this is your starting weight.
You want to start building the right habits, not just jump right into challenging weights gain that cause you to start using bad technique again. It's a marathon, not a sprint

This question deserves its own thread

Shit i meant non conventional weights. My bad fampai

When should I start buying supplements for my training?

Just starting but I don't get enough in my calorie intake even if I changed my diet.

Generally avoid most of them.
I would however recommened a protein supplement so give that a go

>Looks like you have tight quads, do you foam roll them?
I'm very inflexible so I suspect so, I'll add stretches and form rolling to my sessions

Yeah looks like they don't really know how to judge form, they must have been lucky to avoid injury for so long.

I'll have another read though of SS before I go tomorrow and do as you say.

Thanks to both of you. Looks like you've saved me from causing myself a serious injury in the future

Well one of those 'what would you tell yourself 3 years ago' things,
Stretch, and really stretch, get some good videos and really focus on shoulders and hips, it'll improve your form, make lifts easier and help you identify problem areas.

Good for you for recognizing this though m8
Just in case you skipped over/haven't gotten to it, SS literally goes over the issue of knee pain from cheating depth that you're having

Should creatine be used while cutting?

Also, am I understanding this right: high weight low reps for strength, lower weight more reps for hypertrophy, so the "goal" is to bulk & reach a strength I'm happy with then start cutting and doing high rep exercises?

Yeah you're all right there but focus on one thing at a time, and you can use creatine while cutting although you might retain more water

Strength and hypertrophy overlap, a lot.
You will not build much muscle whilst cutting, see laws of conservation/thermodynamics

Thanks! Also nice trips

Thankyou for your input, is there any good protein you'd recommend? I see sometimes people here saying some of them aren't that good

I try to weigh myself in the morning before I do anything else but sometimes when I weigh myself randomly during parts of the day the scales goes up as much as 6 lbs of gaining when I cut down to 1500 cal/day. Which weight should I go by?

Keep it consistent
In the morning when waking up. I take a shit in the morning and then weigh in every day

Morning on an empty stomach

Find the cheapest member of the set of whey proteins such that 1) all members of the set are tolerable in taste and 2) you can be confident they're honestly labeled. In the US, that's usually Truenutriion or Myprotein, sometimes Dymatize if there's a sale.

Alright, my lower/mid back and my Glute on my left side are all larger than my right side. Especially with the lower/mid back.
Should I stop squatting, hip thrusting and deadlifting until I can get help from a doctor, and just work on my upper body/core for now?
Currently running a GSLP program.

I think it might be scoliosis, but it doesn't seem visable.