Running General

90% of the time, the answer to "how do I get faster" will be "run more slow miles".

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

How can you run faster by running slower?

idiot

You're running slower but you're running longer. You build aerobic capacity which allows you to run faster.

Please get informed before talking nonsense senpai

/run/ FAQ here: pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

Run fast brah

How do I deal with boredom when running? I used to listen to high energy Classic Rock and NSBM, but now I mostly listen to podcasts, and find that I wind up falling back to walking pace.

I never see any advice for jacked sprinters in these threads, just long distance dyels

This probably wont apply to you, but I smoke a bowl before long runs. Makes it really enjoyable

At some point you actually have to run faster. You can't just keep running slower and slower until you somehow come out the other end and are going the speed of light
that's impossible

haha my man. A bowl and some heavy metal. I get lost in my head for 40 minutes.

Been having the same problem. Usually run the local track. Distance, intervals, sprints...mixed it up, but still got bored. I ran a wilderness trail on Sunday on a whim and it was a blast. 4 miles went by like it was nothing.

Absolutely change it up. Run a different route. Run the route you normally run backwards. Do mental math while you run. Get lost in nature.

HIIT, 60 120s.

Running (long distance) is actually one of the most retarded things you can do to yourself
>fucked up joints
>need more calories
>shorten lifespan
>look emaciated/like shit
>literally useless

Just sprint, idiots.Sage

I hurt my knee, from a quick search it looks like Iliotibial Band Syndrome. Any one here had any problems with this I'm RICEing but ice seems to make it worse.

Girl from got?

Even if it's your regular route, don't run backwards. You're basically guaranteed to hurt yoursefl

I'm not a runner but you realize the human body is literally made for long distance walking/ jogging right?

No, it's a different Natalie with the same face who makes the same expression

And that makes it healthy? Enjoy fucked up knees : )

Maybe yours was.

My body was made for eating pussy

Im a Tyrelle now

Wow, really?

>shorten lifespan

>literally useless
Oh, you are trolling.

>tfw Natalie Dormer's husband is a balding rich old dyel manlet
>tfw you will never see her making her funny smile from the sheets while you get ready for work after a night of intense lovemaking

Just finished my first 10k run, didn't stop or walk once

Also did my first 5k last week

It is useless unless you live in africa or some shit and need to hunt your food. Sprinting is the only way to go

Thank god for a running thread. Give me your times for shit and I can give you some assistance

thats her stupid signature, that damn lip

is as usefull as lifting, sprinting is cool and all but it is really dangerous if you try to do it with out proper coaching

10k is nothing

OK...last serious race, half marathon 1 hour 44 mins ( that's chip time since you are usually waiting a good 5 minutes before actually crossing the start line lel)

He prob means a race

no it's not. It's literally a defined distance. If we know nothing else about that dude's run, it is that it was ten kilometers.

i agree on the part that human body is made for long distance walking but hell no jogging. Humans are made for long walking / sprinting not for long distance jogging nigga do ur research before you spread heresy

o-okay

Need more than that bud. Average mile time when going all out? Also, average for 2 miles, and for 5 if possible

Crikey... although I use run keeper, I don't currently incorporate shorter runs in to my training (I play soccer to work on my sprints since I have found it to be pretty good for hiit, and I typically focus more on strength training at the moment because when I was hitting 3-4 runs in the week I looked like total shit).

Over the weekend I managed to hit 7 min 50 per mile over 10 miles. The last 10k I ran (which was some time ago) I THINK I hit 34 minutes, but I may have misremembered that.

Not trying to be nonspecific here, more that I have moved away from purely running in a desperate attempt to gain more all round fitness and not just be good at long distance running

>Humans
>sprinting
we are slow as shit m8

>tfw try running for the first time
>can't even jog five minutes
feels bad man. i hate being fat.

Guy who just did my first 10k here

Should I just do 10ks from now on or should I keep increasing the distance?

Dude just keep at it. Sounds generic but accurate. I'm skellyfag and always have been but until a few years ago I was out of shape horribly. Couldn't run a hundred meters at jogging pace without dying. Now I run 11:00 two mile and 17:08 5k

if you just want to stay in shape that's perfectly fine but if you're serious about running i'd shoot for going a half marathon next. the leap is a lot easier than you might expect.

All depends on goals. If you enjoyed the 10k and work on that, work your speed and stick to that distance.

If you are after a different kind of challenge, work towards half marathon and then marathon. Either way, you will want to have a session each week focusing on speed or intervals (or both)

if I wanted to maximize my weekly mileage, how should I spread it out?
2 x 10km a day, or 5 x 20km or how? I know I may be reaching high, but I feel like I am not pushing hard enough.
The mind is willing, the heart strong, but currently it is the legs that are holding me back, that is they feel tired and exhausted.

last week I managed only 17km + 15km + 21km + 14km. but as my legs gain strength I hope to push a bit more.

any recommendations from fellow running addicts?

I get it don't worry. 7:50 is pretty good time especially over 10. So good job for that one. Time a mile at full speed. Add two minutes to it. That should be your pace for long runs. Like if you run a 6 at full speed run 8 for long distance until that gets very easy. Then bump to 7:30-7:40. It's a very personal thing that you just have to get used to doing

I'm trying to get fit enough for the army

You can increase distance all you want but it'll take longer to see results. Work on getting faster at 10k and below

i'd probably just work on my speed then but i'm no expert on military requirements.

Thanks for the advice, dude. Nice to see some other runners on Veeky Forums!

Try to get up to being able to run 13 miles without stopping at about a 7:30 pace. It may seem like "wtf that's a huge leap" but if you run daily it's really not that hard. Just make sure to eat enough if you go that route
Meditate. Every night before bed take 10 minutes and sit with your eyes closed back straight and just clear your mind. Do this every night for a week or two and you'll see you're much calmer. Being calm is the key to running distance.

nigga maby you are slow as fuck humans can chase small boars and shit, wolfs arent the fastest animal but they still get their prey you know why?

I run daily I love it. It's weird how few runners there are on Veeky Forums

Look up your military's entrance requirements and work towards that, they will likely have a training plan on their website.

Also, when you join expect to do one hell of a lot of running as a big part of your training, which should help both your speed and distance

Weirdly, I'm the absolute opposite. I'll have music pumping through my headphones, and like to get pumped before heading out.when a really great track starts I'll feel a surge of adrenaline and speed and just want to keep going

Tell me about it. I lift as well, but it feels like a dirty concept to want to work all areas of your fitness, not just strength.

Glad someone else gets the same enjoyment from hitting the open road as I do, hope you continue to enjoy!

Weird. I only get pumped before I race. But then again I'm a very calm person anyways so getting pumped up too often messed with my psyche. But to each their own I'm just glad to see other people running

Heh I wonder if anyone else here has made the mistake of running the first couple of miles waaaaaay too fast because of the excitement, only to then have a miserable rest of the race due to being prematurely exhausted. It's a mistake you only make once!

Is not "progressively slower" is "slower relative to your max speed". God, are you actually retarded, or is this bait?

>I'll have music pumping through my headphones, and like to get pumped before heading out.when a really great track starts I'll feel a surge of adrenaline and speed and just want to keep going

This is the thing though goy, you're young. When you get older it gets harder and harder to get that burst of adrenaline, and it starts to become harder and harder to keep running.

Therefore the idea of running just because you're pumped up is not sustainable past age 32 or so.

The general consensus is that unless you compete and have some specific sports goal in mind the average gym going power bottom that posts on Veeky Forums is much better off increasing their mpw and going at a cruising speed as opposed to doing some faggot ass hiit elliptical meme tier cardio bunny 10 minute workout twice a week.

Man, running the track is fucking aids unless you're racing or doing speed work. Do some races or like 8x400m's with 1min rests

>run like 6 miles 4 times a week
>1.5 mile time is still like 12 minutes

FUCK

Everyone has my friend. Everyone has

>small boars and shit
yeah, and they aren't made for sprinting

Run 3 in the morning and 3 at night. Count calories. Get proper form. You'd be amazed how fast you get better

Everyday?

If you're just starting out then it'll be hell on earth for you btw. But yes every weekday. Take off Saturday and Sunday until you get better and then just take off Sunday

Hey Runners, I'm completely new to running (I only started just over two weeks ago). I have a question for you guys: should running shoes be a size-up from your regular shoes?
I have a brand new pair of running shoes that I got in my regular size and for the past two days one of them has been slicing into my foot. I literally never get that problem in ordinary shoes. It's bummed my out because I was really enjoying running and I can't get any new shoes for at least another fortnight. In fact I had no problems with them for the first week or so, just that past few days.

Life's not fair.

And what kind of pace?

First off, welcome to the club!
Second, it depends on the brand of shoes. Nike normally runs small, as do saucony
Third, go to fleet feet if you have one near you. They fit you and let you try out the shoes on a treadmill before you buy them, and give you a month to return them for a full refund

Back when I wasn't a fatass and really started getting into running, I ran a 5K race on a Saturday. Ran in 31 minutes, I was pleased.

Anyway, I ran a 10K with a 5 minute walk break in the middle the next weekend.

I just wanted to mention that I also had a similar experience.

Take your mile time (full speed) add two minutes, try to hold that

who here in sub 50 1/4 mile club?

division 1 to division 3 College sprinter/hurdler here

looking how to get more below the 49 sec mark I've been around 49 since high school and I'm about to go into junior year of eligibility... )-: I'm starting to think I'm too white for this sport

>Natalie Dormer's husband
why even live?

Im pretty sure he meant to run the same path but in the opposite direction he usually does to mix things up/ keep it interesting, not literally run backwards so he can't see where he's going

I run backwards as a warmdown

So pretty much your telling me to do 2x 5ks a day, 5 days a week

Yes precisely

shit

Also, what do you mean by morning and night, how many hours should be inbetween

>tfw the first muscle to become sore and fatigued during a run are my ass muscles

Like depending on work, when you wake up, when you go to bed, try like finishing your run an hour before work, and try starting the next around 7-8ish

alri

I hope to god you're right

Just take it easy. If you're really new to running you could do just 3 in the morning for a week or two and not worry about night

I only have like a month until a timed 1.5 mile

Before I go

Will running 2x 5ks a day really be better than just running a few 10ks a week?

If you run 10ks all at once you wear down your muscles way faster and don't have time to build them back up. So imo, 5ks are better

Okay i'll do it

Do you think I'll be able to get a better 1.5 mile time by doing that in only a month?

Do that 3 times a week (Monday Wednesday Friday) and do speed Tuesday Thursday. I'd do 4x800 repeats. Good luck and Godspeed mate

>800m repeats

but what speed??? Surely not full out sprinting

You're right, but you're talking about people that can hold a sub 6 minute mile pace for distance. Your average person can't do that.

Hence why OP led the thread with

>90%

I recommend that statement to all my soldiers that can't run a 13 minute 2 mile. They train by doing sprints, or 2 miles, maybe 3 miles. But if you really want to see improvement you gotta do 5 mile +

Most people have the muscular ability to do a 13 minute 2 mile. They just don't have the cardio or lung capacity to feed the muscles the blood and oxygen needed to maintain the necessary speed for that distance.

How the hell would you do 800m repeats then?

someone give me some running form videos famalam

I get an ache in my knees sometimes after a couple miles that I'm pretty sure is due to a form issue

How about if I just do that 2x 5k's but I run fast the like the last km

Forgot to mention

Sprints tend to fuck my shins up

That means you're pounding the ground too hard. But oh well. Running the last little bit should be a fine alternative

Alright thanks for your help

Hi , i'm a fat cunt and wanna start running ( Not for lifting purpose more for martial art )
But i'm afraid of running alone i mean everything can happen and my martial art shet won't be enough in the most case.
Wat do Veeky Forums ?

Just run away

Are there any ways I can run, but with less impact? Everytime I run, my hips and knees hurt like fuck. Not even a fat fuck (135, 5'11)