I'm going back to uni on an ultra-tight budget...

I'm going back to uni on an ultra-tight budget. Got $300 grocery budget and $100 discretionary food budget (eating out) a month.

What do? Thinking of stocking up on lots of rice, instant shit, shopping at Trader Joe's, and getting most of my protein from meat sales at supermarkets and cheap protein powder. I eat a fuckton though so I'm kinda worried to be quite honest family.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/MNctsEFp7Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=MNctsEFp7Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=-8pC1l_FegM
youtube.com/watch?v=raF6VyKv7qE
ironmanmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/6406-Big-On-A-Budget.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what uni do you go to senpai?

Here you go senpai

youtu.be/MNctsEFp7Zs

UofSC

Tanks familia

Lmfao buddy. I studied jurisprudence at Oxford on a fucking scholarship, lift heavier than you, am better looking than you and play a wide variety of instruments and sports as well as speaking several languages fluently. I am considering a tattoo.

I can guarantee with absolute certainty that you're a vainglorious prick with very little actual value as a person who places his illusory code of ethics above personal satisfaction and that's almost as sad as how beta you are.

Nobody in the world is retarded enough to fall for dat b8 m8

convenience costs cash op
>instant anything
rice, oats, eggs, bread
cheap meat is good, stewing beef or striploin is usually on sale.
carrots, peas, potatos, onions are your new best friends
no junk food pls if you are serious on $300.
Eating out is literally your choice but we all know mcdonalds value menu goes worlds farther nutritionally than anything else.

get giant sacks of rice and beans and SPICES. You wanna save your pennies, learn how to make those staples taste good.

adding on
tortillas are cheap carbs/bread
watercress and swiss chard are mega nutrition on a budget
salsa is a hearty source of tomatos and other ingredients and can be mixed with rice, eggs, meat, etc. Also is cheap considering mL to nutritional value

Block cheese is usually on sale stock that up and eat for calcium/fat/flavor. Again all the ingredients listed above should work together for st least 2 meals a day maybe 3. If you cant mix something unless its specifically paired its not worth buying.

Also oats is literally water + oats. If ur poor go steal brown sugar packs from coffee places. If not buy brown sugar or use milk to flavor

Buy fruit or veg once in a while to not die

>getting most of my protein from meat sales at supermarkets and cheap protein powder
Yep.

>UofSC
Is that South Carolina or Southern California?

If the latter, Smart and Final is gonna be your friend. Costco if you have a car. Get a slow cooker and use it--much easier to cook palatable meat that way than with grilling. Animal's Big on a Budget series makes some missteps here and there but is bretty gud overall:
youtube.com/watch?v=MNctsEFp7Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=-8pC1l_FegM
youtube.com/watch?v=raF6VyKv7qE

And see also (from Bill Starr) ironmanmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/6406-Big-On-A-Budget.pdf

??? ???

And stock up when you find a sale and freeze stuff--but you knew that already, I imagine.

liver beef

heart beef

cheap fish

Is your name Laszlo and do you go to vcu?

I spend 65$ a week on food m8 it's not that difficult.

Trader Joe's used to have bags of frozen organic chicken breasts/thighs, 40 oz for $7, I 1-2 bags per week all through college, really saved me a lot of shekels.

U wot m8? I have a 50 dollar grocery budget a month

What in the fuck? 300 dollars a month for food? What are you a land whale?

That's not even that great a price honestly senpai. (though it's pretty good for organic)

If that's in the United States, please poast meal plan

If not, where?

First, you should learn how to cook
A shopping list should be
Beans
Rice
Eggs, look for someone who have eggs to sell.
Potatoes
Any kind of veg. Fresh or bought locally is ideal. Canned and Frozen will do if they are cheap
Fruits when they are cheap. Locally grown or foraged are superior. Do not NOT buy canned.
Nuts. Locally foraged is ideal and cheap.
Buy a water filter
Meat when it's on sale, or from locally hunted sources. Or if you're the outdoors type hunt and fish your own meat.
Stock up on the above and make them your main source of calories and food.

Anything else is just the normal snackage of a college student and you should spend wisely there.

And here's something interstind'
Apparently, potatoes eggs and butter together has all of the essential nutrients you'll ever need so you can eat that every day and not be missing anything.

I'm in Ontario, food is way more expensive here than in the states

At $50/month? Not $50/week? The fuck do you eat then? Lentils 24/7?

$400/month is not a tight budget. Fuck you OP.

I live off 25 dollars a week for food

>tuna
>eggs
>ramen

No I mean 50 a month. I eat eggs rice and potatoes and sometimes cheap chicken thighs

>ultra tight budget

Lol I have 150 dollar a month left after paying rent and I work full time. Your budget is far from tight, I have to go to the food bank to get free canned food and bread once in a while

I don't even make 400 a month

>$400 a month for food
>tight budget
pick one

>ramen
>not rice

$400/month

I do a comp prep on half of that. Stop spoiling yourself you pussy

You can buy the most expensive food out there and be fine on 400 a month you spoiled retard

You can't be eating very much of them then. That's like 6 eggs, a pound of rice, and half a pound of potatoes a day. Jesus.

>salsa is a hearty source of tomatos

Yeah make sure you get all your daily tomatoes, bro

Fucking idiot..

>400$ budget for food
>ultra tight

nigger what are you doing

OP here.

For everyone saying $400 is a lot I went through $100/wk last semester eating, and honestly I don't know how. I think I ate out a lot but it still didn't make sense to me. For example, an uni meal plan for 21 meals/wk is $2100 and that's divided by 4.5, making it around $450/mo.

I guess I'm just ultra worried about running out of money. I'll have $2000 to spend for 4.5 months, along with $600 of income/mo from working part time. Rent is paid, fortunately.

I guess I'm just a faggot who loves to eat.

Costco membership, rotisserie chickens + giant bags of rice

>I think I ate out a lot
Yup, that'll do it. No h8, I did the same thing for a bunch of my first year without a meal plan, before I got my shit under control. It's easy to break $100 if you eat like a lifter and eat out, but quite hard if you cook all your own meals.

You just buy way too much high end food obviously. I can make 20 dollars last me a week and food is very expensive here

Just eat tuna sandwiches, eggs, rice and beans

Excellent B8 M8. Hopefully you got everything you needed out of posting that.

>you just buy way too much high end food

Right now on my 1250cal cutting diet I spend $150/2 weeks on food. Now this takes into account that I'm not buying cheaper foods like carbs, but I'm not going to fucking whole foods or picking up fancy brands. I buy store brand shit and it still ends up being that much.

Now I'm out of broccoli but have a shitload of protein, so I'm probably gonna have to spend $20 to get myself through the next week and a half until I go back to uni. Protein isn't cheap either but I bought in bulk which is why I have so much left rn.

sounds like you're spending more than you need to desu, I could bulk like a mad cunt for $75/week.

tell us exactly what you're buying that you manage to spend fucking $300/mo at the grocery store

I'm also eating ~150g of protein a day, not including protein shakes or anything. If I switched out a tiny bit of protein and some of those veggies for some carbs, I could easily do the same.

It's how I lost 40 lbs this summer. My body would be making gains if it wasn't using so much of my protein intake for energy, as I'm eating well below my TDEE.

Yeah, I was thinking about 150 plus a shake. Hell, for $75/week I could probably do 250 plus a shake, although I don't know that I'd want to.

It's less expensive to eat less than it is to eat more, you know.

>Hell, for $75/week I could probably do 250 plus a shake
Plus carbs, veggies, etc.

>Frozen chicken breasts
>$20

>Frozen salmon (2 bags)
>$20
or
>Frozen shrimp (1 bag)
>$15

>50 cal wraps
>$3 a pack of 8, buying 4 packs = 32 wraps @ $12

>Cashew milk (for coffee/with bowl of strawberries)
>$3

>Frozen broccoli
>$10

>Fat free cheeses
>all together prob $12

>Frozen strawberries
>$12

>club sodas
>2-3 cases $3/case of 8, so maybe $9?

Notice something? Pretty much no carbs, or cheap ones at least. This is for 2 weeks of food and I should probably start shopping once a week instead of once every two.

I wish I still had my receipts so I could post them.

the fuck

>buying frozen
>not freezing it yourself (though I guess that could be a decent price for chicken depending on how much $20 bought you)
>shrimp as a main source of protein
>"""""wraps"""" instead of rice or potatoes
>fat free cheeses literally wut
>frozen strawberries v;oireaw jgcmareouc
>club sodas ;oiaresmgx;ogarexigsnvtr hsnssvrnce hr.lxamreeeeihj nvsehg

I mean, hey, you stepped up, and that does explain it.

Bought frozen cause it's easier.

Shrimp is not an all-the-time thing, but it's usually frozen salmon if it isn't shrimp.

The wraps go a long way compared to rice where it'll add up to 190 cal/serving. I can eat two wraps for 100 cal and I have done that with half of my meals.

Fat free cheese contains 45 cal/serving and is mostly protein, adds a bit of flavor.

The strawberries are a dessert for me and at 50cal/serving they're great and filling.

The sodas are a snack too. 0 cal it's fucking club soda.

I'm gonna try to solve a lot of this by buying once a week. This means less frozen stuff and more discounted protein and produce. Of course, once I cease my cut, I'm adding in those cheap carbs like rice and pasta and cutting out expensive shit like the cheese and possibly the wraps too.

Frank yang pls go

>cheap carb sources
-oats
-rice
-beans
-potatoes
-lentils
-pasta

>cheap source of fats
-peanut butter
-butter
-peanuts
-higher fat milk
-cheese when it's on sale

>cheap source of protein
-eggs
-milk
-beans
-chicken (if you're in the US)

15lb bag of rice off amazon, $16.

>being so much of a shut-in that you buy food online and wait days for it to arrive instead of going to the store and getting what you want in 20 min