Mark rippetoe types who think you're an idiot if you want to cut early, even if you are above 20%

>mark rippetoe types who think you're an idiot if you want to cut early, even if you are above 20%
>aesthetics types who are afraid to bulk anywhere above 10%

I honestly want a combination of strength and appeal, and feel a good body fat level is around 13%-15% to get both of these things. Are there any books, role models, or "schools of thought," that advocate something like this, rather then something more on the extreme ends of things?

Pic: Not me, I'm a dude

Other urls found in this thread:

a.pomf.cat/uyuwms.pdf
startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=6HV-wvNa2GM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

rich piana

>bulk up to 14%
>cut down to 9%
rinse and repeat

honestly, i'm sitting on exacly 13,6% and my abs are very barely visible.

So at least for now 13~15% for me is not okay at all. Maybe (probably) I need to work my core a bit harder idk but still

rippetoe explicitly says never go above 16%

Probs depends on body-type too. I'm ok with being above ab-visibility level, as long as I have a v-taper and look more muscular than flabby

mark is a stupid fucking retard that is praised by other stupid fucking retards. he has that down south "good ol' boy" mentality where they get off on dumb shit like carrying a shotgun around a parking lot with a bottle of whiskey.

It's good to think like this

12-15% or around there is the "athletic" bodyfat range. Stick with that, you can be strong, big, and girls will still like you if you have enough muscle to show through and just a liiiiiiittle bit of abs.

I'm 6'1'' and I've been like 180ish at 8 or 9%
and right now I'm just about 207 at 12 or 13% and to be totally honest I've gotten way more poon looking like this

girls like feeling small and being towered over, I can still build muscle and get bigger and stay relatively lean.

Also, if you're under 10% or whatever, there's a solid chance you're going to be pretty small because you're not a pro bodybuilder so if you're wearing clothes you're going to look DYEL. I'm a 200lb man with a wide back and a thick neck, people pretty much always assume I lift.

Read this, OP:

a.pomf.cat/uyuwms.pdf

I remember his book saying many go up to 19% percent while on the program, and that only after they've got all their noob gains should they actively cut. As someone who is already around 20%, cutting to 15% while maintaining or even increasing strength, before I start bulking just fits into my life better.

Wasn't even talking about him as much as the culture around his program. A lot of people really into him seem to think you shouldn't consider serious cutting until you get to an intermediate level on the program (sometimes around 9 months), which just seems too long.

He says this because being over 15% bodfat and lifting means greater and easier strength gains.

HOWEVER being over 15% and well into the 20% range = being fat as fuck forever.

Mainly because the type of diet and exercise he advocates to newbs who know absolutely dick diet and exercise pretty much ensures that they'll be moderately strong fat with fucked joints forever.

12-14% is a solid range to stay in. Easier to maintain and more strength than 8-10, especially if you're not on gear. Plus, lots of girls prefer the solid look as opposed to the shredded, razor sharp abs. Like pic related

bump

Most competitive powerlifters fall somewhere between 10-18% bf, with a majority being between 12-15%.

t. Competitive powerlifter @ 13% bf.

>mark rippetoe types who think you're an idiot if you want to cut early, even if you are above 20%

Mark Ripp actually advocates in Practical Programming (which the majority of Veeky Forums probably hasn't read) that those over in the 20%+bf margin should cut down to the mid teens as a target, and even when caloric excess is present, it should not be done in a way that would increase your bodyfat over 20%+.

He also wrote an article, basically summing this shit up startingstrength.com/articles/clarification_rippetoe.pdf

Unfortunately due to lots of this kind of misinformation guys are reluctant to go on 5x5 programs because its seen as a GOMAD, fat powerlifting T-Rex mode meme derailed by guys who can't A) Believe that splits are actually largely a waste of time as a beginner/Intermediate and B) Thinks that GOMAD was advertised for anyone above 10% Bodyfat.

barbellmedicine.com/potpourri/584

Do Starting Strength with a smaller calorie surplus.

Wasn't the guy he called the ultimate success of his program nearly 30% bodyfat?

youtube.com/watch?v=6HV-wvNa2GM
>Unfortunately due to lots of this kind of misinformation
The amount of misinformation here is so staggering. I don't understand why /v/ can have constant moderation but we can't clean up the daily garbage threads here.

honestly if you can do 15-20 pull ups your bodyfat is irrelevant

sarcasm is hard to detect on the internet, but i'm guessing you're making a joke about rippetoe's lackluster body fat percentage despite the video of him banging out chin ups

lol, did you got cucked by a powerlifter who didn't even had abs? lmao

An old gear head banging out chin ups after who knows how much prep?
Awesome as fuck bruh.

Lol Natalie Portman has no ass.

>/v/ can have constant moderation
I wish the /v/ I went to had that.

she needs to gain 50lbs bruh

bump

Justin Lascek and Alan Thrall are both p juicy
The Purposeful Primitive is a good read for tips on training and nutrition.
If you wanna be strong and look good, eat a bit above maintenance and lift heavy, not too hard.

Justin is more than 14 % in this pic though

Splits are a waste of time for everyone.