Is Starting Strength unbalanced?

Vertical push = "The Press"
Vertical pull = "Chins"
Horizontal push = Bench Press
Horizontal pull = ?????????????

Won't the lack of rows create muscle imbalances?

no

Rip considers the power clean/deadlift to be your horizontal pull. it's really not the same as a barbell/dumbbell/cable row. I recommend adding one of them to the end of your workouts.

SS was, is and always will be, a meme.

nah

Yes, but the program isn't about being balanced. It's about getting big numbers in a handful of lifts.

That's it.

It seems like the power clean and deadlift would be more traps and lats (no mid back).

I wonder if there is a point where isometrics can equal movement.

For example, can the isometric back work of a 300 lb deadlift counter the bench press at say 200 lbs?

Much like milhouse, SS is a meme is a meme.

Telling people that SS is a meme is a meme, is the biggest meme of all. Stop memeing me, memeo

Do Reg Park 5x5 then senpai

yes switch power cleans for rows, power cleans are stupid anyway

>Not buying a wooden boat and towing your way to the gym everyday
Sorry op you're not going to make it

Rippetoe is a AUTISTIC KEK

Has anyone tried to invert SS so that instead of getting big legs and no upper body youll get great upper body with decent legs?

Seems like switching the squat to bench for 3 times a week will fix this. Or if anything run SS how it is for 3 months and then invert it (switching squat frequency to bench frequency) for the last 3 to 4 months of your bulk.

Someone should try this and get back to us. Then again what beginner is brave enough to do this?

>big legs and no upper body
Never did SS : The Post

>One job.

Youre right I did SL. But the overall scheme is the same. Its just that benching for either 1 time a week or 2times a week just doesnt feel like enough even if it is your 5 rep max.

yes, you could also just bench and curl and don't train your back at all, you can't see your back in the mirror anyway right m80?

Also the "no upper body" is just an exaggeration. It just that people who usually do SS come out with an imbalance legs obviously overshadowing everything.

Actually, saying ss is a meme is a meme

Well im not saying to remove deadlifts or OHPs or Power cleans or even accessory lifts. All that Im proposing is after 3-4 months of pure SS you invert for the last remaining months of you beginner bulk to build that chest.

Would switching the frequency of squatting to benching after 3-4months affect your back that much?

Yeah that's why all large ancient civilizations sprung up near rivers. The use of rowing boats allowed our ape ancestors to finally fix their muscle imbalances and gain the ability to walk upright.

Or you can actually increase the upper body volume, but you need to increase ALL upper body movements for it to stay balanced, so more bench, more press and more rows/chins. An easy way is to add chin-ups and dips,

If you don't want a bad posture, your upper back needs to be as strong as your chest. You can't train your upper back with benching.

basically phats greyskull lp

But see your not running the inverted SS immediately. Youll be doing strict SS with accessory for the first 3-4 months and that is more than enough to build your upper back with squats. Its just those last 3 months will be used to balance out your chest with your legs.

got the infographic?

>Its just those last 3 months will be used to balance out your chest with your legs.
And what about your back? It's not developed as much as legs. You'll become a hunchback. My advice is to add dips/chin-ups to every workout. Easy to do, and effective.

Well, a 4pl8 diddly would gove you a 1pl8 bench maybe, but no way you get a chest work equal to 2/3 of ur diddly

Should I do Stronglifts if I feel like I'm too much of a DYEL to safely do power cleans with the proper amount of weight?

That would force you do deload way faster cuz ur upper body move,ents stop progressing linear after less sessions, so this way they all stall around the same time

It won't give you anything. There's no real contraction of the chest during a deadlift, not like the rhomboids/traps when benching or the lats when deadlifting.

>deadlift
>lats

yes

In the same way as standing OHP builds legs.

>People who do SS wrong come out with an imbalance

ftfy

The program only lasts for like 4 months, you're not gonna get huge muscular imbalances in that time anyway.

>

That's what I did. No ragrets after seven weeks.

Not even close. The lats, as it turns out, are almost as important to the deadlift as the erectors.

Yes, it's unbalanced. I can finally confirm SS is a meme is NOT a meme.

I did SS for a while, got pretty close to 1/2/3/4, my body looked like trash. Huge badly-proportioned legs, barely any chest, no arms (and that's with added chinups mind you)

Then due to a combination of being a moron and some unrelated sickness, I did a very bad cut and ended up almost at beginner mode again.
So I started doing PPL, and the difference was huge. my progress was faster, I looked a LOT better from the first 4 weeks and on, I felt a lot better after workouts.
I realize regaining strength is faster than "building new strength" but I still think it's a much better routine.

Doesn't matter. A beginner can make good gains doing basically anything so it's best to use that time to learn all your core compound lifts by doing them a lot. That's the point of Ss. You do three of your core compound exercises every workout with emphasis on squats.

SS is "learn your fucking lifts through repetition: the program."

>admits he fucked up.
>blames the program.

I fucked up my cut AFTER being done with SS. learn to read.

This. there is zero point worrying about proportions as a beginner. You are not lifting anywhere near your maxes for a long time. you literally have no idea what your proportions are going to be until you start stalling out your newborn gains.

>due to being a moron
People are supposed to take your advice seriously?

oh look another one of those dyel shitposters who came from /r9k/ and /pol/.
people might want to take my advice seriously because I actually post about my lifting experience, unlike you.

Your experiences suggest that your advice ought to be taken with some caution, because you've managed a pretty epic fuckup from what you're telling us.

And apparently the ability to levitate a barbell, if you can bench without developing any chest or tricep size.

>dyel shitposters
>I got PRETTY CLOSE to 1/2/3/4

My experience is SS did exactly as advertised. I did it for one year, made good gains, learned my lifts, and exhausted noob gains in all the core lifts. Then I moved on to an intermediate program.

To be honest sounds like you had bad form
Know one guy who managed to train his ass while doing hyperextensions

wow who would have guessed hitting your chest 4 times a week would stimulate it more than hitting it an average of 1.5 times a week?

> implying 1/2/3/4 is not intermediate
> implying doing beginner strength programs at intermediate is a good idea
> implying the biggest shitposters haven't historically had the most DYEL bodies when they end up posting pics

that's what I thought too considering my poor aesthetics, but 2 different powerlifting gymbros confirmed my form was decent.

I started with SS and ended up accused of photoshop here on fit for being trex mode.
Fast forward a few years, whenever a friend asks me for a routine, I tend to send them one of these - usually the novice routine.

Run novice routine for first 3-ish months.
Then run intermediate for a few more.
Then start modifying it towards whatever their personal goals are by then, since they should at least be familiar with the basics and have an idea of what they want to pursue.

How much time was "for a while"?

At 5 lbs a workout, your bench would only increase 120 lbs in 4 months (4 x 6 workouts a month x 5lbs).

That turns a 45 lb bench (the bar) into 165 lbs. Not really enough weight to see chest gains, in my opinion.

> Lifts less than 1/2/3/4
Dyel?

Sub 4pl8 puller detected

Post body.

SS is a 3-month program if you do it right.
15lbs/week on your squat for 12 weeks, that's 180lbs, assuming you started squatting 80lbs, then that's 260lbsx5 which is great.
If you have deloaded more than 2 times on a lift, either fix your shit diet/sleeping or move to something else. It makes no sense to continue failing at it and then claim that you did SS for 10 months and got bad results.

>cleans in SS
what the fuck

i thought it was deadlift/squat/bench/row/ohp

Reminder that this is SS perfection

what is 1/2/3/4?

he went from skelly to benching 240x5 in 4 months.

No thats SL

>People are still unable to read in 2016
lmao
that is not SS
that's the SS base module
you're supposed to add exercises to that
If you actually read the book you'd know that

Millhouse not being a meme is a meme SS being a meme is a meme. Completely different memes

You are very correct about it being unbalanced. You honestly want at least a 1:1 push/pull ratio or you can just say goodbye to your shoulders. Plus the imbalance will eventually cause you to stall.

Your shoulders wouldn't be able to handle benching 3 times a week like that.

If you're interested in doing something like that I would suggest doing Dip, flat and incline along with pull exercises. This way you are still working the same muscle groups but getting just enough variety to prevent your shoulders from frying out.

i htought adding pullups/chinups to the 5 basic exercises will make for a balanced workout?

He overbulked
if the cut, he'd look pretty good desu

But Milhouse is not a meme, Milhouse is not a meme is a meme. Although I agree, SS is a meme is a meme.

power cleans are goat tier for upper back gains

>SS is a workout
When will this stupid meme end?
SS is a book, with a template workout for lazy shits or absolute beginners. You're free to incorporate all alternative and supplementary lifts into your workout, like barbell curls, triceps extensions, rows, pull ups, different kinds of deadlifts, good mornings, etc. It's all in the book dudes.

>You're free to incorporate all alternative and supplementary lifts into your workout, like barbell curls, triceps extensions, rows, pull ups, different kinds of deadlifts, good mornings, etc. It's all in the book dudes.
>You're free to incorporate
No you're not. It specifically tells you to do the program. If you DL less than 4 plate your opionion matters jackshit, if you DL more you don't even need to do SS because you probably have an informed opinion.

the bloody book specifically tells you to add other exercises and gives examples

You're free to incorporate any of the exercises he gives you as long as you keep making progress on the big lifts.
>When in doubt leave it out
Doesn't mean
>Be a mindless sheep and do the template program
It means
>If you stopped making progress you need to stop doing accessory lifts and focus on the main ones

1 pl8 ohp, 2 pl8 bench, 3 pl8 squat, 4 pl8 deadlift

ah, i c. ta x