Are dieting questions allowed here?

Are dieting questions allowed here?

I've recently started using MyFitnessPal, and it's telling me that my TDEE or whatever the thing is is 1600 calories.

Now, I set the goal weight to be 75 kg (I'm currently 95), and my weekly goal is to lose 1 kg per week.

Can somebody please explain to me how this is possible? It's basically the end of the night, and I'm at 1200 calories consumed (I've checked the portions and everything).

Is this thing seriously telling me that if I keep my calorie limit at 1600 a day, I'm going to lose 1 kg a week?

I checked the TDEE calculator thing, and it's tellingme that my maintenance calories is 2657 a day.

Someone please help explain this better to me.

Jus B Urself

>Can somebody please explain to me how this is possible?
What do you need explained?
>Is this thing seriously telling me that if I keep my calorie limit at 1600 a day, I'm going to lose 1 kg a week?
I don't have the numbers but it sounds reasonably, what's the problem?

it´s simple and you answerend the question yourself. if you wanna remain at 95 kg then you gotta eat those 2657kcal a day.
a caloric deficit of 500kcal will give you approximately a weight loss of about 0,5 kg.
so a deficit of 1000kcal will give you a loss of 1kg per week, but that can vary from Body to Body. cause everyone i different.

I guess I need an explanation as to how not going over 1600 calories a day can magically make me lose 1 kg a week. Aren't I supposed to be doing a bunch of exercise too?

If this thing is telling me that I consumed 1200 calories today, then it definitely doesn't feel like it. I feel like I ate like I normally would, but I definitely didn't because otherwise I wouldn't be classified as obese.

I feel like I should be starving, because I probably consume like 2500 calories normally, but I feel fine.

because 7000kcal is the same as 1kg of fat.
so if you dont eat those 1000kcal x7 days you have your 7000kcal which will give you weight loss. if it will be 1kg or 0,7 or 1,8.. nobody can tell you that because everybod is different.

It could be that you're overestimating how much you ate before. Or miscalculating what you're eating now.
But assuming that your numbers are in fact correct. This is exactly how it's going to work.

Exercise is not needed to lose weight, but is recommended tremendously.

But in the end energy in vs. energy out is the main thing.

Better if you just use a scale each week/day to tell. I only just MFP to check what the macros are for all my food.

Thanks for the help guys.

I already walk about an hour a day, which equals to ~5km, and according to the Nike app thing it's ~400 calories burned, so I guess that's enough exercise for a day.

I'll check the scale by the end of the week, then if I've lost 1 kg by then, then I'll probably hate myself for not doing this any earlier.

What have you eaten today, then? 1200 calories isn't much. Are you weighting and calculating everything you eat? EVERYTHING. Including snacks, and even that healthy banana you had?

I had some ravioli for lunch (comes in a plastic box of 10), an apple as a snack, home made mac n cheese for dinner, and three bottles of water.

I didn't weigh the ravioli, or the apple.

I went off of what MFP had as '1 assiete' for the ravioli, and 1 medium apple.

always weigh everything you eat, and i really mean EVERYTHING, except water

Look on the back of food packages; there should be a grid containing nutritional values, with calories (kcal is the same) and macronutrients.
weigh what you eat and do some math and you'll be golden.
also, read the sticky.

Alright, thanks. What do I do if I'm not at home and don't have a food scale though? Should I just use MFP's estimate?

Thanks.

I bought the ravioli from my campus' canteen, so it doesn't have any packaging or shit like that. Just a clear plastic tub.

lucky cunts im on 1400 to make weight for a fight and all i think about is food

you have to estimate it. but you will get a feel for it prett fast if you weigh your food.

Yeah, that kind of stuff you should avoid unless strictly necessary. Still, you shoils ask them how much there is in a tub, in order to be able to assess calorie intake
good luck, bro!

Ah, I see. Thank you for the help, I appreciate it.

>2657
1. How tall are you?
2. How did you get fat with that many calories at your disposal?!

>use a scale
Lol DYEL

You could also try weighing yourself every day, first thing in the morning, and average that. Things like water weight and poop can make your weight vary by more than a kilogram, so that can disguise small changes in your weight. Don't get discouraged if you haven't lost a kg in a week (or go overboard if the scale says you lost three), keep it up for a little bit longer than that.

I'm 171cm.

Uh, I'm not sure really. I guess it might be because I've spent the last 10 or so years drinking Coke 2-3 times a day, almost every day, along with a bunch of fast food, ice cream, and chocolate.

I'm 18 by the way, if that matters.

I see. Thanks for the info.

Also note that just sitting burns like 110 calories / hour in your case so those 400 calories don't mean in addition to TDEE.

That's good user.
maybe before you snuck in snacks that completely fucked up your cals.
Just keep on trucking, walking is great for you
I suggest weighing yourself everyday, it's interesting how the weight sometimes just fluctuates randomly, like a day I eat 3800cals and I lose weight.
If you dont lose exactly 1kg dont despair, there are many variables that could cause it.
Try to least as little salt and sodium as you can and chug on waters
You will get a hang of the weighing the food and counting cals.
Remember the MFP has a neat barcode scanner...it's really useful to quickly log food.
good luck!

Thanks for the help and info.

Didn't know about the barcode scanner thing, should be helpful!

Most campus meals cost a fair bit, try buy in bulk and cook yourself, can be much cheaper

yeah, eating on campus is a drag if you're counting cals...but after a while you get the hang of it by sight or fullness

Can you somehow link it to the theme of "fitness"? If so, it's allowed here. We have threads about obscure forms of dick health, man. Obviously we're gonna be cool with diet advice.

And sounds like you need calories explained. Read the sticky. I know, I know, but it WILL help.

Calories are a unit of energy. You get them from food. Your body uses that energy to run. Your TDEE is how many of those calories you use in a day. Now when your body has extra calories, it stores them for later. This is bodyfat. If you eat more than your TDEE, your body stores the excess as fat. If you eat under., it draws what it needs from this fat.

Generally you bulk or cut around 500cals per day. A weekly goal of losing 1kg is probably not a great idea. 1 lb, or 0.4 kg, however, is excellent, and quite easily achievable. Simply eat 500 cals less than your tdee each day.

Now, myfitnesspal is a normie app made for normies who see calories as some sort of invisible magic. They didn't put much thought into their goal setting thing. Double check with another site (fitnessfrog is pretty good. So is Scooby's workshop. They both have TDEE calculators) and manually input the numbers. Since MFP is probably fucking with them. Fuck, I'm still bitter about MFP playuing with my numbers.

ANyway, good luck OP. Any questions?

Thanks for the help user.

I tried fitnessfrog and Scooby's workshop, and they gave me a TDEE of 2523.

For Scooby's, that's 20% calorie reduction, 3 meals a day, and the auto-set macro nutrients.

That is, maintenance weight of 2523.

BMR is 2101 on Scooby's.

Oh, shit, I forgot to mention. On Scooby, ignore the suggested calories based on goals. He's spoonfeeding on a level that most people have already factored in.

What are your stats, user? Also, what level of activity are you selecting? I always pick "sedentry" and factor in the cardio separately myself. Cuts down on the chance of error.

Also I saw you mentioned you were unsure of if you should do exercise. THe answer is yes. It's a way to "burn off" even more calories. Also there are benefits for your body that go beyond diet.

As for if you should be hungry, you may not be hungry because your body has enough fat to use for now. Or maybe your food choices are just really good and they're leaving you sated. Either is a good thing.

>I guess I need an explanation as to how not going over 1600 calories a day can magically make me lose 1 kg a week. Aren't I supposed to be doing a bunch of exercise too?

>There are LITERALLY people that still believe that CALORIES IN < CALORIES OUT is not all you need to know to lose weight and think you NEED to exercise.

I chose desk job for the exercise, but if an hour of walking a day for 5 days a week counts as moderate-strenuous exercise then I should probably go with that.

I guess I just thought it was too good to be true.

>eating less than you burn
>"too good to be true"

Yea, the sun rising each morning is too good to be true, one of these days it's going to fall.

Most normies don't understand that cardio exercise is just another way of expending extra calories, and that it works via calories in-calories out.

Blame modern primary education for teaching people what hepatitis looks like, but leaving them to work this shit out on their own.

But OP is at least trying, so there's that.

A desk job with little exercise is what you should select, because it assumes you aren't moving at all. Then when you do your hour of walking each day, use runkeeper or whatever app you want to record how many calories burned, and put that into MFP manually.

THe reason is that it's more precise, and doesn't rely on Scoobs just guessing what "exercise" looks like to you.

pls be b8

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

?

Wait. Google says that's 5'6"? LMAO unless you're doing something intensely physical, that 2576 cannot be your maintenance.
Stick your deets in IIFYM dot com and see what that says. Either that or I fell for the bait.

one word frienderino: Enthalpy

>if i eat less than the energy i need to maintain my weight how am i losing weight
life's greatest mystery

Yeah, I'm pretty short lmao.

According to Scooby's workshop, it's 2523, so I guess it's around ~2500.

IIFYM wants me to sign up. Is it really worth doing that.

>it's not worth putting in a name and email

Are you fucking serious? Not going to make it if 10 seconds is all it takes to stop you.

Oh wait, nvm. Here.

Assuming no lifting and no exercise, your maintenance is 2224kcal/day

Yeah. I set the thing to exercising 5 days a week, 60 minutes a day. This is just for the cardio that I do, which is walking ~5km.

>TDEE or whatever the thing is is 1600 calories.
congratulations. you now realise that daily recommendations averaged over a large population are an approximation +/- approximately 25%, or 400cal in your case.

not him, I always wonder what to put in the minutes per day
I dont wanna include cardio so that I can calculate it on my own. I lift thrice a week for 60-90 minutes..should I just use that and divide it by 7?

This is true
>Be cutting
>Lose 9 lbs in two weeks
>Next ten days weight stays about the same with me being 0.5 lbs heavier on day ten than I was on day 1 of the stall
>Diet never changed
>Day eleven
>3.75 lbs lighter than day ten