Why is SS considered a meme on this board?

Why is SS considered a meme on this board?
It's one of the best if not the best program for beginners r-right?

Other urls found in this thread:

strengtheory.com/genetics-and-strength-training-just-different/
whitmatthews.com/ss.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=R3FoLv-J854
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It's good for starters. I would add more arm isolations though, t-Rex mode results are not a meme.

Everything on this board is a meme.

Good for getting strong. The best. Terrible if you care about physique in the slightest.

because it makes people feel like squats and deadlifts are the be all end all of lifting.

i personally don't like them because unless you have perfect form, its only a matter of time until you rek urself.

It's kinda trash if you compare it to the Reg Park beginner routine.

Read the book, don't just follow the program, and it will be immensely more helpful.

It's a meme on this board but it being a meme is also a meme. It's a great place to start, as long as you recognize that it's a book, not just a program. You'll get a lot of valuable information from the book that will put you a few steps ahead of other new trainees.
When it comes to the program I don't recommend 3x5 for bench and the press. I'd go straight to 5x5 and follow up with accessories at least 1-2x a week for dat dere extra volume so you can win the hyper trophy, squats and deads should be enough for your legs into intermediate lifting, later on you'll start needing to do some extra volume on hamstrings most likely

You don't know what you're talking about

>Squats and deads are hard, so I don't do them

I did reg parks 5x5 and I partially agree but some of the exercises in there are a joke.

so whats the best thing for begginers?i have been doing ss for like amonth,of course its too soon to see result but still

By accessories what exactly are you referring to friend?

It's not SS that's a meme, it's LIFTING IN GENERAL.

Seriously. Your Genetics Are Your LIFE.

Look at this study:

strengtheory.com/genetics-and-strength-training-just-different/

It has literally been PROVEN that GENES are the main thing that determine how you respond to training stimulus. These people LITERALLY ALL DID THE SAME ROUTINE, and some of them made massive gains, whereas others LITERALLY GOT SMALLER.

If your genetics are bad, you can LITERALLY GET SMALLER from lifting. Seriously, just fucking lol at this shit. It's such a scam, it's insane.

Something to supplement volume in a muscle group outside of your standard movement e.g. RDL, curl, lat pulldown.

Also for the record I'm not big on the thought of novices doing power cleans

Considering SS a meme is a meme on this board

its good for beginners but the squat volume is notoriously high so people often wind up with xboxhueg quads compared to their upper body

Any exercise that isn't the squat overhead press deadlift or bench is an accessory lift.

Stop trying to discourage people brah

epigenetics senpai

>B-But muh accessories!!!

Is there an online pdf of this or download link?

whitmatthews.com/ss.pdf

I thank you.

>you can LITERALLY GET SMALLER from lifting
Really? Working out can help you lose weight? Good to know.

getting memed by ss

Where can I get form review on my low bar squat? I was wondering if I lean too much forward and end up good morning the weight.

>Your Genetics Are Your LIFE.
This so much. It's sad to see all these idiots waste their time and money only to look the exact same for months to years untill they quit.

Just ask someone to film you and post it on Veeky Forums.

SL is better.

starting strength forums. lots of SS coaches there helping you for free that actually know their shit unlike 99% of Veeky Forums

Nope, thats retarded. the study shows is going based off someone copying someone else. Everyones body regardless of genetics will respond to the same form of stresses differently, this is how we have individualism among humans. So to have a small group do the same eexercises and diets and all this other stuff is all pointless, due to our bodys response to stresses differently, this includes family or those who share close genetics. So why can two people from the same family appear so different? Because the individual responds to the worlds stresses differently than the other, and the human body only shapes and responds to external stresses brought upon it.

>t-Rex mode results are not a meme.

T-Rex mode is something you only hear about on this board.

>Implying building a solid strength base isn't the most efficient way to build an aesthetic body long term.

Really what part of your upper body is missing?
Chest? Oh wait you have bench press
Back? Powercleans/Rows
Forearms? If your doing deadlifts then your gonna have juicy forearms.

The only thing thats really lacking in your upper body is biceps and you can make that up by doing a bajillion curls after you finish the program (if you want to).

The only people that I know that say SL is better are people who are just starting out. Once you hit decent lifts (2 plate squats) you can't do 5 sets in a single session.

>Once you hit decent lifts (2 plate squats) you can't do 5 sets in a single session.

How dare you say something like that about an anonymous pedosite for overgrown marsupials with alcohol problems from Chinada?!
Shame on you!

benching is not a very good movement for chest. power cleans do jack shit for your back. there are no rows in SS. deadlifts do jack shit to your forearms

biceps arent lacking since the program has chins.

you are truly lost m8

the sorry ass splitbros are usually high on creatine and thus shitpost heavily on subjects they know nothing about... that's the main reason for a newfriend on this board the SS bible looks like a meme
of course, the elite gentleman and supreme heavy lifters among us - are genuinely amused by the fine tone and supreme enlightened revelations in the true nature of lifting that this almanac delivers

yeah but your quads will grow much faster than your upper body muscles you fucking mug

Reminder

It's not good for bench

>deadlifts do jack shit to your forearms
I've come to realize this. What are the best exercises for forearm hypertrophy?

>deadlifts do jack shit to your forearms
Wait until the weight gets heavy.

farmers walks and reverse bicep curls

i can dl 220 already

but i use straps. theres no point waiting for your grip to progress with your ass.

I really really like this image

we can't even see his upperbody, poor b8.

>i can dl 220 already
>but i use straps

what? its not like theres a certain limit to using straps

>mfw when i can't even squat properly even after watching hundreds of videos/tutorials
JUST

go kill urself

teh fuck? how much do you diddy urself?

Probably because you try to emulate the people you are watching. You gotta squat the right way for your body. Take the time to look at your relative lever lengths. Maybe you need to lean forward more, maybe you need to be more upright, ect.

LoL

I Hope you mean 220 KG not 220 LBS.

220 LBS is just pathetic kys

yes, kilos.

5x5 sets across?

Anyway, stop using straps, get your wrists pumped. I got lot of wrist gains in the beginning of training. All movements stimulates your wrists somehow.

because most people do the program the wrong way or for the wrong reasons
SS is a strength gain program but Veeky Forums turned it on a meme by refering it to everyone who came here for the first time, these people got shit results because they wanted to look like zyzz but instead got even fatter so they started also recomending it and talking shit about it furthering the memetic of the program

its a great book and a great program if youre looking to get strength before going into 5x5 or SL

so im supposed to train my deadlift with nothing but the 140 kilos or so that i can hold without straps? yeah great idea. thanks!

If you can only hold 140kg then please pic related.

You allready fucked up man. You should be able to hold 220 kgs

yeah let me see you guys double hoverhand 220kg

youtube.com/watch?v=R3FoLv-J854

>let me see you guys DOH 220kg
>uses mixed grip
are you retarded?

Nice goalpost moving bitchwrists.

the fuck? have you considered that not everyone can or should use mixed grip? why do you think mixed grip is in any way more appropriate than using straps, they work in the same way after all?

You are a big guy

It's shit because no split-squats, no horizontal pulls, lack of upper back work (inb4 BUT MUH DIDLIFT TRAINS EVERYTHING!!!!!), no front squats (they much easier and natural than back squats). Also it has sets with 5 reps because OH YOU NEED STRENGTH BASE FIRST!!!111 WHY?!?!?! DUNNO!!!!!
Also deadlifts are bad for beginners that usually that have lack of hip mobility because of sedentary lifestyle. I know very good coaches and powerlifting gyms where beginners start with goodmornings or romanian deadlifts and do exercises for 4 sets and 8-12 reps.

solid base if you ask me tbqh

so beginners should do romanian deadlifts instead of regular because of the lack of hip mobility?

thank you very much

not him but yeah, since RDLs start at the top and you only lower the bar as far as your hamstring flexibility allows. its way easier to maintain proper back position this way.

desu most people CAN deadlift properly, sedentary or not. its a matter of proper coaching and cues. but RDLs can help.

>sniffing a line before you lift
thats literally cheating
kys fag

i'm a beginner and in my case i find squat to be harder than deadlift. not sure if it's ankle flexibility or hip but i can't do it correctly, curved back is what i end up with. I'll try romanian deadlifts and see if they help a bit with my flexibility on the squat.

If you have lack of hip mobility you should not lift weights from floor, so do rack pulls, romanian deadlifts or goodmornings. And work on hip mobility.

Because it's literally a meme routine designed to make you fat and ugly.

>Hurr do squats every day
>Durr no arm work
>Hurr eat 7000 kcal every day
>Hurr drink a galon of milk on top of that
>Derp don't forget to do NO CARDIO lol

Do Starting Aesthetics of you want to look good.

>two arm exercises every workout
>no arm work

>Squats are now arm work

Le horemoans xDDDDDD

Start with goblet squats.

>not know that in SS day A has bench and dips and day B has OHP and pull ups
>being that retarded

not him but ss doesnt have dips you mong

>ss doesnt have dips
>BECAUSE MUH BADYBULDING.COM SAYS SO!!!!!!11

Yep. Alan Thrall has a interesting video on it.

/thread

Considering SS a is a meme is a meme on this board

>Upper body lifts in SS

Protip it's not SS if you add a tonne of shit.

SS:
>A: Squat, Deadlift
>B: Squat, Power Clean

End of.

no, because the fucking book says so.

where do you see dips in pic related?

oh and please dont be one of those retards that think dips being taught at the end of a book about basic barbell training means they belong in the SS novice program

>Alan Thrall

>Starting Roids
ftfy

You're retarded. The book recommends a fuck load of accessory lifts. Stop talking, faggot

false

>Mad he fell for the SS troll and is now fat, yet unaesthetic

the book is about basic barbell training, not just the novice program. the accessories listed at the end of the book are for basic barbell training, not the novice program.

>Drink plenty of fruit juice for good energy

It's decent, but it has some serious flaws. The biggest one being the tendency of the program to produce a T-Rex physique. First of all, the volume for the lower body is higher than the volume for the upper body, which is completely screwed up, if anything, most people need the exact opposite.

Secondly. while your chest and shoulders get decent development, your arms and especially upper back will be seriously lagging, just look at people who have done the standard SS as written. The only exercise that will stimulate a noticeable amount of growth in the back is the chin up, and most people don't even know those are a part of the program. Besides, they're done only every second session, novices can handle way more than that, ICF 5x5 for example has chin ups every other session on top of the 3x a week rowing.

And no, deadlifts aren't as good for the upper back as you think. Yes, the lats do work to some extent, but it's nothing compared to a chin up or a row, which is a problem, when it's almost the only back exercise next to chin ups.

And power cleans? Don't even get me started. First of all, it's an extremely technical lift, I go to an actual Olympic weightlifting gym, and it takes weeks of actual coaching to get at least half decent form on the clean. I can't imagine a complete beginner teaching themselves how to do it in a reasonable amount of time. This is even more stupid because for most novices who just lift to look good, cleans are fucking useless. All that time to teach yourself a very technical exercise, for no clear benefit whatsoever, it's just retarded.

In my opinion, ICF 5x5 is a far superior program for novices who just lift to look good, it resolves all of the issues mentioned above. No, I don't like Jason Blaha either, but learn to separate the program from the person. It doesn't take a genius to add accessory lifts to SL 5x5, but Blaha's take on it is just the one that I decided to pick.

>tl;dr SS is suboptimal, do ICF 5x5 instead

>projecting

Okay friendo. I do SS and stack on accessory lifting and it works pretty well.

Right. Not training entire bodyparts such as calves and wasting your doing shit like power cleans is the best way to look good.

>Okay you wanna get strong and aesthetic? Glad ya stopped by. Look no further. You're gonna need a couple of things. First off, you're gonna need a good diet. Second, you're gonna need plenty of rest. And lastly, you're gonna need some ice cream!

*record scratches*

>No, no, no, not the kind you eat! Ice Cream Fitness 5x5! It's the perfect beginner program and has just the right amount of volume for a beginner! Plus the guy who made it is super ripped! He's full of loads of information that would classify him as an expert on powerlifting AND bodybuilding (BOTH!)

>that troll routine

It doesn't recommend that many. Yes, you have a long section of the book that describes all kinds of lifts, from RDLs, SLDLs, rows, good mornings to even barbell curls. But this is just a description, they aren't meant to be included in the program. Of the ones that he actually includes, most of it is stuff like weighted sit ups and hyperextensions, chin ups are really the only one that's for the upper body (which is what most people care about, let's face it).

It's a great program if you actually follow it and move on from just SQ/PR/DL S/BP/DL. You need to progress to power cleans and chins and eventually incorporate a light squat day. Most morons here who were "memed" just did that.

Personally I believe that its not the greatest program for someone losing weight or for older trainees, I'd do Grayskull LP or Average F'n Program instead.

>people like this are giving advice on Veeky Forums
kek, hope your weight is in kg because
otherwhise it is babbyweight