When will we see powerlifting in the Olympics?

When will we see powerlifting in the Olympics?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yUrvO1z0MwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw
youtube.com/watch?v=um4VxiI2Ng0
youtube.com/watch?v=gVAqwyv1uN0
i.4cdn.org/fit/1471354601996.webm
instagram.com/p/BIqBmn4ALKh/
youtube.com/watch?v=nZwBAUHgnKA
youtu.be/YWSL_Yr2unw?t=22
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerlifting
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Never, its boring as fuck

Never it is literally the retarded brother of weightlifting thats why it is in the paralympics

Oly style lifting is already boring enough.

Powerlifting would be like watching a football team stretch and run drills instead of actually playing football

A better question is when will strongman be in the olympics

Probably never, people want to see explosiveness and asses.
As long as weightlifting, ping pong, synchronised swimming and beach volley are in the Olympics, PL is not getting in. Probably.

>people want to see explosiveness
no they don't

Only the womens higher classes are slow af

Why do you want it? Eastern Europe and China will take away all gold medals.

it's pretty boring

it's watching people hump a bar, duck under it, and stand up with it.

I'd much rather see people yoke walk or keg toss under a time limit and while competing against someone else.

Never.
Strongman? Maybe.
Parkour through cool looking city scapes and obstacle courses?
Shit nigga, I'm watching that shit all day.

Strongman would probably be one of the most popular events at the olympics

Everyone loves that stuff

Probably never.
Powerlifting (bench press) is in the paralympics but IPF hold the monopoly on international powerlifting competition.

"To become an Olympic sport it needs recognition from the International Olympic Committee (IOC). The IOC requires the activity to have administration by an international non-governmental organisation and must enforce the Olympic Movement Anti-Doping Code. Once a sport is recognised, it becomes International Sports Federation (IF) status

A sport may gain IOC recognition but not become a competing event at the Olympic Games. To become a part of the Games the sport's IF must apply for admittance by filing a petition establishing its criteria of eligibility to the IOC."

Powerlifting is still a young sport so it may get bigger and receive government support to produce elite athletes however I just don't see IPF wanting to cooperate with the IOC. The IOC is a joke and IPF have a pretty good thing going as long as they fix their shitty spotters.

Strongman will never become an Olympic sport unless WSM starts Olympic standard anti-doping which would completely change the sport.

Yeah you're right.
Powerlifting and Strongman people make a metric fuckton off of gear sales.

>watch some fat fuck who isn't even remotely athletic move a bar 1 inch to his chest and back

oh yeah, real olympic """""""""sport"""""""""

>watch a bunch of guys hit a plastic ball back and forth on a table
>watch a bunch of guys jump over stick
>watch a bunch of guys throw a ball into the air

How come these pass as 'real olympic sports' but powerlifting doesn't?

But powerlifting is in favour of fat overweighted roid head Americans.

Powerlifting isn't a legitimate sport.

>you're wrong
>definition of sport is wrong
Choose one

Why does he look DYEL mode

last time I checked Olympics were about sports, so the answer is no

fell for the "strength builds size" and "there's no need to add mass to the right places, you just need to get heavier" memes

powerlifting is a sport like esports are sports

sure a person is in control, but the suit/shirt is taking the weight

he's a powerlifter under a specific weight class. He doesn't want muscle that he doesn't need. Besides he looks pretty decent shirtless and has huge legs

>not sure if b8 or really stupid
There are two different categories of power lifting
Classic (Raw) & Equipped
Classic is much more popular. You can't use a suit or wraps. The equipment allowed in classic is similar to that of the weightlifting in the Olympics. Belt, sleeves, squat shoes, chalk, etc.

He looks massively imbalanced because of his legs
Not a good look

Because he's only ever trained to be as strong as possible, he doesn't have good genetics to look aesthetic, manlet.

He's strong as fuck though and just dead lifted 4x bodyweight

Nice ROM Fatman

>doesn't have good genetics to look aesthetic
Anyone can look aesthetic
It's just a matter of proportion

If candito want to look aesthetic he need to hit his upper body twice as hard or stop working his legs or juice

I thought powerlifting was a sport with commonality in how it's performed?

What I mean by bad genetics is that he doesn't have good muscle insertions.

Just look at his chest for example.

He could definitely focus on building a more symmetrical proportional physique but his goals are in strength and powerlifting, not bodybuilding.

youtube.com/watch?v=yUrvO1z0MwQ

>600lb deadlift
>yeah bro i did none of that it was just the suit XDXD
kys

Ok maybe he his chest doesn't look great but he has nice arms and shoulders

What I mean is that even with so called "bad" insertions anyone can make it look good if they train appropriately to their structure

still all those guys are moving more than the PL guy

I may be forgettin something but I can't think af a sport with less athlete movement and ROM than powerlifting (aside from shooting and archery were a complete different ability is judged)

Wouldn't it just become a bunch of people trying to lift unhealthy amounts of weight and snapping their spines?

Never. Why would you want it to be? The Olympics is a huge waste of money, don't add to it.

> belt

i didn't see any belts during the olympic weightlifting?

>2016
>finding a 600lb diddly impressive

The day MMA becomes a Legitimate sport in the Winter Olympics

Too boring

Wouldn't mind it if they added high bar squats though, would be sweet to see some beautiful deep olympic squats with a lot of plates on the bar

youtube.com/watch?v=nLVJTBZtiuw

The problem with PL are the spotters.

if you wanna make PL an Oly sport you have to take your own spotters and made them part of the PL team (lifter+spotters).
There's no way a neutral organization is going to provide the spotters. Think about the shitstorm if an athlete snaps his shit because of shitty spotters.

Also spotters are the main reason PL is ugly to watch to the general sports lover. DL aside the guy is surrounded by tiny people like some shit is surrounded by flyes on the other two lifts.

You can high bar squat if you like in powerlfiting. No rules stop you.

Yeah but i'm talking about the olympics not powerlifting

Really?
youtube.com/watch?v=um4VxiI2Ng0
A lot of them wear belts

except PL is about lifting more weight so no high bar squats on sight

youtube.com/watch?v=gVAqwyv1uN0

>squat rack/cage

At low level competitions people high bar squat all the time.

If you drop a bar with 300+kg on in it will bend completely and be destroyed. Competition bars are very expensive.

that's why they are low level

>When you make an argument against yourself

Like poetry

>yfw the #1 IPF 83kg World Champ squats high bar and holds the junior and open WR squat in the 83kg division

He's not natty tho

>webm

See that ROM for the squat. Did not even clearly break parallel.
That arch back bench. That slow as fuck grind with a ROM shorter than a dick.

Deadlift is the only thing interesting to watch for a normie at home.

>implying Olympians are natty?
HAHAHAHAHA

Also not all oly lifters squat that deep either. Some only break parallel
i.4cdn.org/fit/1471354601996.webm
instagram.com/p/BIqBmn4ALKh/
youtube.com/watch?v=nZwBAUHgnKA

You can clearly see he's breaking parallel in competition
youtu.be/YWSL_Yr2unw?t=22

That video also shows he has plenty of ROM on his bench and doesn't grind every rep. His arch is minimal plus that helps protect the shoulders having a slight arch.

I'm not suggesting it's interesting to watch or should be in the olympics.
Was just addressing these two points that there are some competitive high bar squats in powerlifting

meant to link you in this

When it looks good on TV, so...
No spotters
No arching in the bench Press
High Bar, deep squats
Only conventional deadlifts

No federation could enforce such rules without losing half of their members

painfully true

Powerlifting is only for retards
Proof of this is that it's only done in the paralympics

THEM DAMN VIETNAMESE BLEW MY SHINS OFF

>Insulting a cripple
Look at the big guy over here
>4 u

>Japanese

Olympics are a joke and ruin sports like they ruined judo by banning half of its techniques.

omg never noticed how extremely ugly Candito is. I knew he was unaesthetic, but his body is just plain ugly.

He did that shit with no leg drvie. Why don't you try it fuck boi?

Why would it be? Olympic lifting covers most of it

>deadlift
>front squat
>push press

One guy is covered with spotters. He lies on his back and moves barbell a few inches.

One guy walks in and puts chalk on his hands. He lifts a barbell from floor to over his head.

That's why.

seconded. strongman is far more entertaining to watch than oly or powerlifting.
also probably has much more crossover entertainment appeal to normies and dyels given it's visual competition

Olymipic Strongman would be great if it managed to avoid the anti-doping. If not, we could square the circle by combining weightlifting with field disciplines and adding some stuff
>snatch
>clean and jerk
>shot and discus
>Axle+tyre Deadlift
>Husafell stone
>Atlas stones
Only problem is 60kg chink womanlets would be fucked.

It's in the process of being included

Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powerlifting

>A better question is when will strongman be in the olympics

THIS, GODDAMN
Powerlifting is the least athletic out of all strength sports. Weightlifting is better because of the explosiveness, and it does carry over better to sports. Strongman would be a much better test of overall health and athleticism. Fuck, I really want to train strongman.

Holy shit dude I can't even believe what I'm reading. He's the IPF world champ. He sinks past depth, has a pretty modest arch on bench, and deadlifts conventional.

You're so fucking salty I can tell you don't even lift. You don't. Prove me wrong, I'll bet all my money you won't post proof of a >4pl8 squat.

didnt even go parallel

Powerlifting very nearly did get into the olympics in the late 70s/early 80s.

It was INSANELY popular (at least compared to now) back then, was in regular rotation on ABC, etc. Unfortunatley it ran into a whole bunch of problems at once, most obviously the PED issue and the geared/raw issue and the massive fracturing that resulted.

Bill Starr actually claimed at one point that powerlifting all but HAD been accepted by the IOC but that Bob Hoffman sabotaged the process because he didn't care for the sport and didn't want to have to support 2 US olympic teams.

As it stands now, the sport isn't popular enough and the IPF is still too controversial even among people who like the sport to get IOC backing. It's been attempting to clamp down on other feds with some highly questionable methods (like lobbying governments to ban other federations from hosting meets and blacklisting athletes) to give the appearance of unanimity, but the drugs question is still one nobody can answer.

I wouldn't know in terms of the elite level. But how reliable are maxes in powerlifting? If you can total 1500 pounds one competition, then a week later, can you probably get at least within 10 pounds of that total?

In Oly Lifting it's not as easy because the coordination can be unreliable. Catching the bar just a few degrees off on the snatch can completely ruin the lift.

I feel like if a guy squatted 300 kilos at an international competition a few months before the Olympics. It's very reasonable to think he will repeat that lift at the olympics.

But if somebody snatched 200 kilos at an international competition a few months before the Olympics. That lift can easily fail a few months later at the Olympics.

I feel like that's one reason why Oly lifting is more fun to watch, you really never know if somebody will have a good lift.

>When will we see powerlifting in the Olympics?

Squat is boring to look at.
Bench is a maybe because even normals "get it".
Deadlift should be added and it annoys me that it isn't now.

that seems like a good way to hurt your neck

China doesn't powerlift

did you watch olympic weightlifting?

>strongman
>test of health
whooooo boy

I love strongman but healthy it ain't.

Pretty sure this is ye olde tyme mythmaking, but I could be wrong.

Strongman would be goat buy they would need a ped pass. Here's a fun idea what events would you like to see for olympic strongman

>log
>atlas stones
>farmers carry
>hussafell carry
>Hercules pillar
>max deadlift
>caber toss

Winners are decided by a point system

Caber is pretty technical, would prefer keg. Otherwise a good list.

>strongman event taking four times longer than every other sport

>parkour
cringe + underage b&

Caber toss is the signature event of another sport and is never in strongman you dope.

reminds of one video about a strong man that eats 10k kcals a day

with all that food and roids he'll die young most likely, the heart cant take it

>what is a decathalon

hardly any if at all drug testing in multiple federations its take as much gear as you like assuming you can put up with the side effects.
strongman is also zero drug testing