Are you stronger than your dad Veeky Forums?

Are you stronger than your dad Veeky Forums?

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/08/15/todays-men-are-nowhere-near-as-strong-as-their-dads-were-researchers-say/

Other urls found in this thread:

washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/08/15/todays-men-are-nowhere-near-as-strong-as-their-dads-were-researchers-say/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Right now, yeah he's 63 and I'm 22. But he used to be a hardcore outdoorsman/mountaineer so yeah he probably had better grip than me

could beat him in an arm wrestle right handed 2 years ago, just as I started lifting, but he can still probably beat me with his left hand, which is strange since we're both right handed

I can easily do 100kg one handed deadlifts, but dunno how that translates into >grip strength (how strongly you can squeeze something)

My dad dug ditches and then was a carpenter when he was my age: he's still really fucking strong even though I'm more physically active than he is, and I know he could destroy me in any comparison of strength.

>Tfw ywn be half the man your father is/was.

Yeah my dad has always been a skinnyfat dyel.

He left before I was born but he recently got back in touch. And I've seen pictures of him when he was in his 20s. He looked like shit.

Also he has 2 other sons, and they are dyel and less attractive facially than I am.

>Average grip strength of 98lbs for millennial men

I just got a grip strengthener to use in my downtime (adjustable from 22 to 88lbs), and I can squeeze it at max tension fairly easily. I like to think I'm over that average for 30 years ago too. Thank you factory and assembly jobs.

Yes he's clinically obese and gets winded walking up the stairs and has a desk job 9 hours a day.

I wish he would change...

No, so I started lifting with him a while back. My dad was scared of parenting so he was mostly gone my childhood.

Went to see him a few months ago, I was skinny and underweight so I asked him to help me start lifting. Slowly working my way up to my dad's level, want to make my pops proud of me.

>he has 2 other sons, and they are dyel and less attractive facially than I am.

That just means your mother's genes are way more alpha than your father's. You're better for it.

Nah. He was jacked in '85, and has been a woodworker for his whole life. He's still really good for his age.

No, I might be able to lift more than him, but when we wrestle he still wins

He's heavier than me though

That nigga been roidin for 20 years fuck outta here.
That said his best bench was 2.5 plate on a smith and mine was 2.5 on a regular bench so i think i got potential for a 22 y/o

My dad never lifted but he's always been physically fit. We used to go mountain biking together all the time when I lived at home and the stuff he's able to do is so impressive even though he's 60. I hope he lives another 40 years.

My dad wrestled in highschool and often recalls how everyone on his street could bench 2x their bodyweight.

We're never gonna make it...

i wonder how many times this fedora tip worthy image is posted on fit in a day

>We're never gonna make it...

(You)'re never gonna make it.

My dad was fat in high school and bullied by his older brother and friends. So he got Veeky Forums and beat the shit out of them. Nigger had anger issues until he got into his 40s.

S-surely the xenoestrogens and antimale environment have nothing to do, r-right guys?

I am, very much so and he is in decent shape for his age. However, my grandfather is still stronger than both of us :/

I am probably physically stronger than him but he's very big on endurance sports, he does skiing, swimming, long-distance running and long-distance biking

He ran 11 metric miles in 25 hours just a week or so ago, in mountainous terrain, that's pretty fucking good

How does grip strength translate into a deadlift?

If I have 100lbs grip strength will I have 100lbs deadlift? 200lbs deadlift? I assume grip strength is a typical limiting factor in the deadlift.

Yeah, but I've been lifting since I was in high school.

It's only limiting if you don't use under/over grip, chalk, or straps.

>Are you stronger than your dad Veeky Forums?
>washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/08/15/todays-men-are-nowhere-near-as-strong-as-their-dads-were-researchers-say/
98lbs? Mines more than 250lbs wtf...

Why the fuck would I ever push my body to lift something where I mechanically had a barrier like grip strength?

I lift to be useful not for my ego

Yes

I can overhead military press 290 lbs. lol

>one handed deadlifts
wtf?

>when we wrestle he still wins
tell us more about this user

Sort of. He can carry heavier weights than me but gets tired easily sometimes. He used to be a linebacker though so he was stronger than me at my age. I look better than him and my granddad at my age though

Naked wresting (no homo)

yeah I'm also one head taller and weigh 50kg more

In the article:
>Millennial men and women have near equivalent grip strength

No, user, I'm sure it has NOTHING to do with that.

I'm taller than my dad, stronger than my dad, make more money than my dad and according to my mom, have a bigger dick than my dad.

My dad died when I was a baby, so I'm pretty certain I'm stronger than him considering he's a skellington.

>Naked wresting

Greek detected

>according to my mom, have a bigger dick

Why the fuck is your mother talking to you about your dad's dick?

no. my dad's a lifelong farmer and is at least 200 pounds. i'm only 160 fuuuck

fooking legend

Daddy issues; the thread

Freud all over again

bunch of limp wristed pansy fuckboys in 2016

I used to walk 14 miles in corn fields during the summer just to fuck my girlfriend at her house. Did I mention her dad had a shotgun just in case he found me? Guess what you exist so I won.

You're retarded.

I'm stronger than him because he's dead

My grip strength was tested after breaking a finger in highschool at 142lbs, what pussy can't hit 100lbs?

Grip is 198lbs

Get fucked daddy

If only I knew you

>He doesn't have monthly dick inspections by his mom

The fuck is wrong with you?

Well, yeah, barely lifted or did any physical exercise. Just rode his motorbike. Tried to claim he was built like a bodybuilder and could bench 3pl8 but there is zero proof of any of this, and even my mom tells him he is lying.
He still believes it though.

>compare a generation that had many more manual labor jobs to a sample size from a university, which are most likey not doing manual labor
wow who would have though

He got all that grip strength from jerking his dad off.

You want to be strong like daddy, right?

I've been stronger than my dad for about 5 years op. I promised myself always to find the time to exercise so I would never end up weak like the rest of my family

I could close a CoC 1.5 the first time I tried it. That's 167.5 lbs.

98 lbs?

fucking pussy bitches.

What's wrong with it?

Pretty obvious this is gonna be true, considering that 80% of people are overweight or obese nowadays. If you're fit, you're gonna be way stronger than both averages.

He's been taking steroids for 20 years and his best bench was 2.5 plate? There's something seriously wrong here.

Nope.

He's Mexican, so he's been working in construction for most of his life. He fixes of cars and shit, so he's just used to lifting naturally heavy things. Not exactly big, just strong.

Hell no. My dad used to do lots of Meth and was homeless then he got a job as a fitter (welding), moved to Alabama to build battleships, and got a southern gf to make him god tier bulking food.

Easily.
He ran track in High School and was supposedly very good.
Too bad this was in Yugoslavia and that didn't get you anywhere.
He was pretty much otter-mode at his prime but he never weight-lifted.
He's deteriorated a lot since then because he has a fucked up back but I know I'm stronger than him in his prime.
Also
>grip-strength
Not really a strong basis for comparison considering the generational gap also includes the revolutionary internet-age.

My dad benched 450 when he was younger, idk if I'll ever reach that but at least I have his genetics :^)

Dad was in the military and swam a lot. He had thick hands and massive forearms but I just surpassed him because I'm a beast.

He died when I was 13 :/

He'd probably be proud.

Where can I find a grip strength testing machine?

dad was a fireman and cross country star, however i'm a blue belt in bjj so i may have an advantage, i mean maybe right?
>tfw never gonna make it

What if you have small hands with arthritis, and all you do is pretty much cardio?
I don't even think I hit 80lbs of grip pressure because of it. 23 years old if that's relevant.

>250lbs
you might be doing something wrong
thats pretty much impossible without grip training

Go to your local amusement park or arcade with a quarter
Or, alternatively, the childrens section of your local science museum
I'm actually serious, that's prob the easiest place to find em.

With arthritis you probably have an excuse.

Cardio on the other hand is voluntary.

i'm getting there, my dad lifts for 35 years, he used to weight 112kg on his prime and he roided, now i bench 2pl8 and he goes at 1,5pl8 but he does weighted pullups and i can't

Ayy senpai, fellow Mexican here
Same with my father, he easily beat me in arm wrestling. He also said he always did sports and would do one hand pushups, an shit

He sometimes laughs at me because I'm weaker than him at his age. He was in really good shape and used to fight a lot too. And did swimming in the Rio bravo lol
Even my mom used to make fun of me because she met with father at young age.

He's 5'4 and I'm 19yo 5'8
A-at least I'm taller than him hehe...

My dad was a champion boxer in Australia during college

So not yet

How do you measure this shit?

I'm thirty and I think I'm almost matched with my dad. I'm 6,3" 240lbs with a 35"waist line. Five years ago I couldn't touch my pops. But now he needs a knee and hip replacement plus he broke his ankle and poked a hole in his lung. He's all better now but had had some couch time. Five years ago he was a solid 300lbs. He has a gut and wasn't in shape, but he wasn't soft or flappy anywhere. If we ever decided to throw down he would have to miss the first 4-5 swings to wind him out. If he ever connected I would be threw

my dad was a genetic strength freak and those genes were not passed to me

I beat the shit out my dad some time last year. This is bound to be one of those 'priveleged, weak generation-y' puff-pieces.

Right now I definitely am.

When he was my age (22), he worked in a warehouse so he was probably stronger than I am now.

dad never rly lifted jus played a lot of sports and ran, still otter God at 45. we have the same physique at the same respective age of 21, except his forearms were bigger because quarter back (kicker/soccer fag here)

here's a question tho, could you kick your dads ass?

if yes, would you ever let your son kick your ass?

>here's a question tho, could you kick your dads ass?
Easily. He has trouble standing for too long.

>if yes, would you ever let your son kick your ass?
Nope.
Little shit has to earn it.

Probably not, my lifts are good but my Dad used to be huge back in the day, would make me look dyel, as if i didnt already think that ;_;

I can out-lift him but he has more genuine strength. My wrists and hands are absolute bitch-made, while he could practically crush someone's skull if he wanted to.

Why would it be weird for his mom to know how big his dad's dick is?

Yea hes a firm believer of "10 reps or bust". So thats 2.5 for 10

My dad was a swimmer, so not really a strength dude in his prime. I am way, way stronger. His cardio gains in his prime though I'm sure were way better than mine.

My father is stronger than me.
But i might be able to take him in a fight because he has artificial knee joints, so he's not able to run fast. I just have to wear him down and then go for the kill.

No, when he was my age he Clean and pressed 170 and benched 260

I can only clean and press 155 and bench 200

that survey measured students. of fucking course students are going to be less than strong than their blue collar working fathers that worked hard to get them into college.

it'd be different if i was students then vs students now

Todays men are also smarter then their previous generation and hold more qualifications.

Times fucking change and so does culture

Fk no, my dad took roids for 30 years and im a natty ottermode fag...

I was stronger at 18 than he's ever been in his life and I've only gotten stronger

My dad has never been as strong as I am now.

my dad grew up in a farm. he had crazy grip strength(milking cows). the other strongest grip I have ever seen was my best friends dad growing up, he worked in a newspaper factory. more hard labor workers = more strength

one handed DLs are a hell of a thing
when i was just a couple months in and my max was ~275lbs i was able to pull one handed 195-205 sumo singles easily with chalk and hook grip

never tried them since

He can only bench 100kg+bar after 20 years of lifting and roiding?

I can lift 80+bar for 10 after 20 months in the gym, all natural.

How short is your Dad?

>Metric miles

That is an oxymoron, user.

Is this the rule of thumb of measuring nu-males in the year 2016??

KEK

i am stronger in every physical aspect than my dad ever way. and most peoples dads.

i can squish my 250lb gripper thing like 10x

I beat my dad's ass

I don't think there was ever a time when average joe could bench 4pl8

Well no shit.
Men are becoming more docile, and less active.

>went to one of those novelty grip testers a while back
>got 180

And they said fapping doesn't do anything for you.