Memes aside, what is the minimum amount of weight you need to squat...

Memes aside, what is the minimum amount of weight you need to squat, in order to not get laughed at for wearing weight lifting shoes?

Officially 3 plates.

1.5 x bodyweight.

For reps.

i think this is a good response

definitely more than you are lifting

My squats/deadlifts suck ass but I feel like if I could get a good pair of lifting shoes they'd improve so much but I feel like I don't even lift enough to get them in the first place

2.5 to 3pl8.

i see some guy at my gym struggling to push out 2pl8 with adipowers and it just looks weird, like the kid at school who'd come to athletics carnivals in $250 running shoes and lose to kids wearing regular runners.

185 for females and twnks
250ish for normal people

Just say you have a knee injury or some shit. nobody gives a shit

you don't, deload and start focusing on form

Kys
The empty bar.
Just don't slack off. You paid for a tool, so use it

It doesn't matter. You wouldn't squat or deadlift in sneakers. Or you wouldn't play ice hockey in figure skates. Use them to help you progress. Fuck what anyone else thinks. You aren't squatting for them.

except people do give a shit.

just like idiots who bring shaker cups inside the gym, or going sleeveless with a barb wire/ tribal tat or put clips on the smith machine. or even using the smith machine in general if you aren't a chick doing those hip thrusts.

these people all look retarded, and regulars laugh.

>You wouldn't squat or deadlift in sneakers
you're right, I do it barefoot

nobody deadlifts in weightlifting shoes or at least they shouldn't be

who gives if a fuck if they waste time worrying about you
you're their to lift weights and make gains. if wearing that shit helps you out. do it

What I mean is that you're not going to use certain footware for other things. I know Oly lifters deadlift in their shoes, but I think that's because they have to constantly train for pulling weight from the ground in the shoes they'll compete in.

Yeah show up and squat the empty bar in rom's and see what people think

I agree you should get them early but not before you even know if you're going to keep lifting

Wearing lifting shoes while lifting isn't quite on the same level as putting clips on a smith machine.

Cosigned

Shoes can be useful for pulling if, e.g, you have a history of foot/ankle injuries from running.

except they are doing it in MY squat rack.

how much weight is too much to squat barefoot?

>GUYS HOW MANY MATCHES DO YOU HAVE TO WIN BEFORE YOU GET WRESTLING SHOES?

>HOW MANY GOALS DO YOU HAVE TO SCORE BEFORE YOU GET SOCCER CLEATS?

>HOW MANY ROUNDS DO YOU HAVE TO PLAY BEFORE YOU GET GOLF SHOES?

This is how stupid you sound. If you don't have adequate shoes to use, get a pair of low priced weight lifting shoes. They're not some fucking magic bullet. The very idea that you need to accomplish some task to have stabled flat sole shoes is absurd. Just don't be one of those retards that goes and buys a 300 dollar pair of shoes for an Olympic lifter.

I wear oly shoes and squat less than 2 plate. Come at me, poorfag jelly manlets

nothing, PL's can squat 800+ barefoot

I have used smith machines maybe three times in my life so never thought about it but the fact that you wouldn't need clips just blew my mind.

>see what people think
Literally do you even lift?
Who thinks about anyone else in the gym? And who gives a fuck what others in the gym think? I started with empty bar and nobody said anything, nor did I feel anything.
So again dyel or do you just fuck around in the gym checking out dudes and what they're pumping?

Get yourself some nice crocs OP.
OC related.

That was the question asked in the OP, stoopid

Question, bros.
I knew a guy who swore by lifting in chuck taylors. Guy was a serious lifter. Anyone hear of this? I get that they are flat without cushioning gel and shit but still seems weird.
Thoughts?

Whenever. This board is full of the most insecure cunts.

Pretty common. Flat shoes work fine, esp for low bar squats. They are preferred for deadlifting by many.

you really only use lifting shoes for the extra height in the heel. helps you hit depth in high bar and oly lifts. chuck taylors are great for high/lowbar squat, deadlifts, rows, basically anything that requires you to have a stable platform.

Trips of truth. You're right, same goes for OP. OP and that guy are both idiots.

Thanks. Been starting in sneaks on NROL (inb4 meme). So no olys for a while, maybe I'll pick up chucks.
Have some (You)s

Who the fuck cares?

Just do what helps you achieve your goals and you like. Who the fuck cares man?

Literally

if you can get a deal on nike rom 2's, the angle is perfect,
the chucks do the bit of moving a solid floor to your now clothed foot, the nikes upcharge to give you some super human ankle angle,
a pair oughta last you forever too, i would think,

>just like idiots who bring shaker cups inside the gym
Non-retards can stay in this thread. NOT SO FAST guy I replied to.

>weight lifting shoes
like chuck taylors?

I've worn em since the beginning. Most people don't even know what weightlifting shoes are.

I don't judge anyone in the gym that works out with proper form on compound lifts. I do judge boys that lift 3plate for quarter ROM, while practically jacking off to themselves in the mirror.

Just go to the gym and squat. I've done 95 pounds before when I was injured - I didn't give a fuck. Remember that 90% of the people on this board are just fatties having weight lifting fantasies.

I've been out of the gym for 8 months, started squatting again with 135. I have pp2's, not one person has given me so much as a look.

This.

Just do propper form and don't be an idiot.

Doesn't matter, Rippetoe said the biggest mistake most lifters make is that they don't wear weightlifting shoes.

Get them asap, shouldn't matter your strength.

If someone laughs at you just be glad you made their miserable life brighter for a moment, and then don't give a fuck and keep improving yourself. Just use whatever shoes you want, and do whatever you want. Why would you give a fuck about somebody's unsolicited opinion?

What is the point of WL shoes? Don't the heels just make you put too much weight towards your toes?

Wearing Chuck Taylors always made sense to me since the soles are completely flat so it's just like standing barefoot on the floor.

They let you squat deeper with shitty ankle mobility.

Veeky Forums would be a better place if 90% of the people moved to /r9k/

Literally every beginner is told to buy oly shoes in our weightlifting gym. The sooner you have them, the better.

They aren't necessary for powerlifters with good enough mobility / good morning squat style. They help you to stay more upright and overall balance is better when doing oly lifts.

>Shaker cups inside the gym
I drink my aminos in the gym. No one talks shit about it when they're too busy miring me rep out a 200kg diddly.

This 100% for powerlifting. You really only need them for powerlifting if you have shit mobility. I've been squatting to depth with no problem with chucks for years. A friend let me try his Romaleos and they felt weird as fuck to me, the depth and my center of gravity felt off. Just my experience/opinion though.

>Don't the heels just make you put too much weight towards your toes?

Opposite. They allow you to put more weight on your heels without getting off balance.

Spot the manlet
Nobody's going to see the near-midget squatting 200 pounds and thinking that's a lot because "hurr, it's more than his bodyweight"

That pic hurts my wrists just by looking at it.

why would you bother explaining yourself if nobody gives a shit?

Low bar squatter detected.

The squat on op is highbar, resting on traps, there's literally no weight being taking by the wrists.

Oh, so that is what highbar means. Gotcha.

i feel self conscious using wrist wraps for only 2pl8, but i have tiny wrists which i have hurt in the past

45kg lose the shoes though.

Cleats? They're football boots you faggot.

> if you aren't a chick doing those hip thrusts.

mate, they hit the glutes like no other exercise

inb4 You're a faggot

Unless you're a bodybuilder and trying to isolate them because they're lagging behind, squats and deadlifts will be enough to get good glutes.

Squats and deadlifts should highlight the fact that your glutes are inactive and undertrained

>Wearing shoes while squatting

DYEL?

This. Get the proper equipment for the job.

Meh, I prefer pulling in my powerlifts to a flat sole.

>soccer cleats

Best sort of mentality, completely agree.

Seriously squats went from being shitty to being a godsend when i got weightlifting shoes. I have terrible ankle mobility and short calves and long thighs. The shoes made a world of differemce in getting low

>first day squatting with weights
>can only do bar + 2 10lb pl8s

A-am I going to make it fit?

>I go to a an american based image board and complain about american lingo

Lmao I squat 1 plate with oly shoes, who gives a shit

Wear what the fuck you want, just don't be that guy who wears the big fucking nike airmax and puts plates underneath his heels