Fencing as an adult

Sup Veeky Forums

Does anyone have any experience with fencing? The idea to start picking up a competitive sport crept into my mind a while ago, and fencing struck me hard as I watched the olympics.
Do I have any chance to become at least somewhat decent in it so I can compete? I don't wish to become an olympian or to even be well-known or anything, but I'd like to eventually compete and not be horribly and utterly beaten every time I do so. Anyone have any experience with starting a competitive sport "late"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CXJ5rlhshvM
youtube.com/watch?v=GSJgPVQJGyk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The fencing club at my college was made up of theater-nerds and autists who thought they were gonna slay a dragon so I'd stay clear unless you wanna be known as "that guy who swings a sword around"

Your best bet would be to go to France to pick it up otherwise

I was thinking bout a combat sport to mix with lifting since I was reading a thread about it. Been wanting to do that for quite a while.

Read something about mixing for example Muay Thai and BJJ. Figured I would start with 1 en pick up the other later depending on the time spent

It sounds like you know fuckall about fencing

We're actually quite good in fencing around here, pic very much related. I'm a bit worried about my knees tho, but then again, I don't want to do this hypercompetitively.

OP do HEMA, join an ACL chapter, enter the IMCF, get noticed, represent [your country] in the battle of the nations.
work hard, stomp bitches, where armor, get all bruised and sweaty, look badass as hell and pull qt reenactment babes from all over europe

only problem is that a full suit of armor costs a few thousand dollars but you can buy a cheap one for right around 1k

dont ask me questions i dont actually do this, i just watch the competitions and want to really badly

I actually thought about that for a while. I was into LARPing for a few years, was fun. Probably would've shifted into history reenactment if I had stuck around that scene, it's become quite popular recently. Lots of historic fights and stuff, so I'd have great opportunities.

Still, my problem with that would be the fact that it drops the competitional part. You're mostly just doing that for shits n giggles, yeah there are fights but noone is counting points or anything. That's why I'm looking so much at fencing.

the imcf is a worldwide tournament my dude. there are competitions. plus you need a higher level of fitness to fight with a sword than a shitty little stick like fencing.

Hm, I didn't know that. I only scratched the surface of the scene, I'll admit that. Nevertheless, I'm a guy who runs ~7 kms a day, and most guys that I've seen in these recreational fights were bearmode or builtfat. As someone who was husky in his teenage years, I really like being lean(er), so shitty little stick fencing is probably more suited for me..

Anyhow, you seem to be quite zealous about it, you should start doing it! Sure it's expensive but you can start on a budget and work your way up from there. Become that hugeass paladin or knight that you yearn to be!

i really want to but cant right now but i will get into it later. once im a world champion i will come riding in (in full suit of armor) and rescue you from the world of shitty little stick fighting and together we will drive back all the plebs and dyels

Swords are really light, heaviest swords come in at ~3.5 kg. Endurance > Strength in fencing.
You do need a bit of forearm/wrist strength for one handed weapons, but for two handed stuff the leverage of the long grip really does all the work for you.

Pic related, Open Longsword finalists of Swordfish 2015.

peep this
keep in mind they do 21 v 21 (realistically 18 v 18 iirc with 3 in reserve)

youtube.com/watch?v=CXJ5rlhshvM

forgot link lol

youtube.com/watch?v=GSJgPVQJGyk
this one is much more interesting desu

They are all builtfat because they need to be. Late Medieval combat was recorded and sold to the public as wrestling-at-the-sword. It is very much a game of finding a way to get your opponent on the ground, mount him, and stick your knife in his jugular or brachial artery. Armor was nigh know are able by bladed weapons. So the bearmode guys are that way because staying in your feet and Knocking people down is the name of the game. They are , not fencers

I fenced from fourth grade all the way through high school. It's a fun sport. If you are looking for a physical workout or something that requires strength it isn't that. Most of the best fencers at my club were DYELS and fatties. It's more about the mental aspect of the sport when it comes to getting good.

Whew, I need to slow down on the drinking. What I was trying to say is battle of the nation's guys are more builtfat linebackers than fencers. They "win points" by forcing guys to take a knee or fall

also do sabre all other weapons are pussy tier

well they have 1 on 1 competitions that are scored via 'hits' but in the multi person fights you are 'killed' by getting knocked down or you can make yourself 'dead' by taking a knee if you get tired or something.
it usually devolves to grappling pretty quickly but if you arent at the top of the sport (even if you are) you could totally be lean and do it, there are some very small guys that hold their own, like that tiny japanese guy who fought with 'godzilla' and was one of the last men standing.

>sabre
>not a cut-and-thrust sword

Would you mind telling some more? Idk, stories, whatever, anything you would tell someone that is interested in fencing.. I was planning to keep on lifting but doing some fencing in the meantime. I'd like the mental aspect of it i guess, but what do you mean exactly? Will to fight, or strategies, concentration and such..? I have heard lines like this before but they never really elaborate what they mean by this.

I know, but I'm not builtfat and nor do i wish to become that. Plus those fights look extremely aggressive and I actually dislike aggression. I'd much rather like to overcome someone with finesse and wits than pure strength..

Finesse and wits is epee. It's the only weapon without right of way, which is a set of rules that turns fencing into chess, instead of starcraft, if you get my meaning.

Yeah I read up some on it, but saber seems to be more logical (using the blade to cut). Also your analogy hit home because I used to play both chess and sc2 competitively.

Anyhow, could you tell some more about saber vs epee? Most fencing around here is epée but I could get into saber eventually if I wanted.