/run/ - Running General

Welcome to /run/, Veeky Forums's semi-frequent running general thread.

Pastebin: pastebin.com/pjMQQ46m

Discuss training, injuries, how 2 get gud, clothes, Olympics, etc. How was your run today?

>tfw the weather is really hot and sunny right now
>tfw it's going to be this way until at least mid-September

I can't stand it any longer...

hoping this thread actually goes somewhere.
>sprained my ankle about 10 days ago.
>thought it was good yesterday
>went for a light 3miles
>have this bad habit of ending my runs strong
>fucked up my ankle at the end while running up a hill
no cardio for me for a while -.-

Lots of RICE for you

F L O R I D A
L
O
R
I
D
A

I ran 3 miles in about 31 minutes....It's kinda shit for running times, but I went from a 12 minute mile to this, so I'm happy.

I have some pain / tightness in my Achilles tendon occasionally. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? Stretching, exercises, etc.?

Im in the same boat. Down 40lbs to 280 and now getting closer to a consistent 35min 5k

At the same time I want to make sure I don't hurt myself. I'm more worried about an injury breaking my routine.

good shit man. As I'm sure you're aware, just keep at the pace that's good for you and you'll be fine.

I'm sitting at 5'9 155lbs....I've always sucked at running, hoping that getting better will help me lose unnecessary fat.

it's all about the small, gradual improvements. doesn't matter if it's a second faster than last time. at least you got the miles in

I've ordered a foam roller. What are your experiences like with a roller? Has it been useful?

YES. Rolling out your legs/back/butt/feet feels so nice.

Ive never really ran before but theres a 10k and a 25k coming up next year. Ive been doing couch to 5k in my third week. Do you think I can do 25k by next year or 10k?

I want to win it or at least get a good placing.

10 k yes.

What's the right way to do HIIT? (starting out)
Is it to run in pre-determined intervals (ex. 10 intervals of 15 second sprint followed by 45 second jog) or to simply sprint until you can't take it anymore, then walk until your heart rate goes down?

I'm also looking for a good way to balance HIIT training with regular distance jogging in terms of days/week for each. Any help is appreciated.

Treadmill till the weather chills, brother

What's everyone workout like?

I lift M-W-F and run the rest of days. I have light (1-2 miles) runs on lifting days.

Otherwise I'm all long distance runs. I live in San Francisco so hills are naturally included.

Running M-Sat, just doing comfortable base mileage for now
Bodyweight routine M-W-Sat

>running for 60 minutes straight

Is that really possible?

No

S, T, H here.

2-3 miles every time.

If I have patellar tendinitis but say fuck it and just keep running like 2-3 times per week at 45 minutes, will my knees assplode eventually or will I be alright?

It hurts like aching while I run, and there will usually be some residual pain the rest of the day.

Usually a Sunday long run
Monday 4 easy miles,
Tuesday intervals
Wednesday off
Thursday more intervals or maybe a fartlek
Friday easy
Saturday off
I usually go to the gym for like half an hour and do pull-ups, kettlebell work and maybe some cable machines.

I like either doing tabata sprints or suicides on a basketball court. One round of tabata should be plenty. For suicides, do like 10-15 minutes of them at the end of a lift and see how you feel, then progress from there.

Stay away from hard surfaces, try and run on grass/trails if at all possible. Good stretching/foam rolling, ice, Advil, and shoes too

Had a scavenger hunt for practice today
The inside of my foot hurts :(

I lift from monday to saturday and run the same days. Usually I do this running routine but it may vary based on how I feel that certain day.

monday long run
tuesday intervals on track
wednesday fartlek run
thursday track intervals
friday track intervals
saturday easy run
sunday complete rest and eat like a motherfucker.

Best substitute for a run during inclement weather? I've heard jump rope is really good.

>inb4 just run anyway

I would if it was light rain, but it's fucking flooding so that's a no-go.. :(

I understand but running while its raining no matter how hard is how i like to run the most. :3

Everyone wants to win. Why will you out of everyone else, win?

How many miles per week are you hitting? I'm doing abo 25 and am looking to bump it up

I lift 5 times a week, run 4 times a week and add in cross training 3 times. 1 speed workout, 1 up tempo run, 1 easy run, 1 distance run. Training for my 4th marathon currently.

What marathon? I'm looking to do Pittsburgh this may

t-thx emi

How do I not look like a retard while running?

What's good for shins besides stretching?

What's good for faster, more effective recovery?

I don't even run so much as jog, something like three-ish miles at least every other day.

I guess if I pushed myself to twice the mileage it would eventually start to really cut down my belly fat, but years ago I got shinsplints, tendinitis in the knees and ankles, and after a while of this I sort of just quit before getting on the pavement again...

I live in Texas m8. I mean FLOODING. Like no work or school because it's so bad :(

(years later, I mean)...

what do you guys eat before/day before long runs?

i'm talking 7+ miles.

I run every other day. Usually for 1-1.25 miles. I should have followed couch to 5k. I've been running for more than 2 months now and still can't seem to run further than 1.5 miles.

Richmond. I've done Philly twice (great course, flat and fast) and Vermont City once (hilly and grotesquely hot). I prefer fall races, gives me time to get physically and mentally ready, I can usually get two half marathons in during the year and some smaller races.

Oatmeal with chia seeds. I love myoatmeal.com you can throw in protein and flavors. I also use Hammer products (gels, Heed and Perpetum) for fueling. Nuun is my go to for hydration.

Work on your form. Seriously, one of the most fundamental and overlooked parts of running. It will help you stay injury free in the long run, too. You may want to look into getting a video stride analysis done. Mine was only $30 and it's made a world of difference.

Where did you get this?

What kind of shoes are you running in, and how old are they? Shoes are key. Go to a decent running store (no foot locker crap) and bring your old pair. Try them out before you buy them. You should be replacing them every few hundred miles (depends on your stride/BMI). Proper shoes are key. Alphabets are good- rotate at your ankles and make cursive letters with your foot. Also, mileage should be increased graduallyyyy. Don't go from 3 miles a week to 30, you're asking to get hurt.

Local running coach (the guy I work with) does it in PA. I would go to running store in your area and see if they know somebody who can do it for it. Its a small investment with great dividends. I had a very slight overpronation on my right side (we slowed it down to 1/8th of the speed to see it) I've been able to correct it, I'm running more efficiently and with less pain/recovery time. We don't always see this stuff ourselves the video is a great way to catch it.

Yes

Run early am or at night..or treadmill it. I was supposed to do 17 miles Sunday..it was 92 degrees here, 91% humidity. Did 10 miles on the treadmill instead.

I have a pair of Brooks with Goretex. Worthwhile investment. They are my go to for running in the snow or rain.

Couldn't get through training without it. There are a lot of free guides online of how to roll. I also have an add-a-day stick and I'll use a lax ball to really get into tough spots like my piriformis.

I finished a race last when I was starting out..since then I've been second female overall and taken first in my age group a few times. It takes time to improve but it happens. My mentality is to beat my own times, to be better than who I was yesterday. Mix it up with pace and effort and include some speedwork. It really helps if you can find people to train or run with. They'll push you to keep going and run faster.

Well, I have been using Asics the last few years, and the second pair has got some custom inserts. The store I got them at is called Road Runner Sports. They were pretty professional the first time, but the second time around it was more oriented towards upselling shit. The second pair I now have is a year old, sized in particular for narrow heels, but otherwise I'm not aware of any special characteristics. The number of miles on it might be something like the better half of a thousand, or thereabouts.

Referring back to the RRS store mentioned above, they actually did some video analysis, but at the time I was clueless, and I guess they weren't experts in retrospect. No advice was given and I assumed none was required. They seemed to think that the shoes would do all the work. I was told last year that I have slight pronation in both ankles, but it seemed to sound like some long-term improvement had taken place. My arches are certainly more well-defined. How do you go about changing your gait?

If you want to win or place, look for a small community race..something local maybe put on by a community group or church. They'll generally have a smaller field size and better odds. Your best bet is to set a time goal for yourself that you can achieve, and a goal that's a stretch. You can't control the field of runners. Sometimes you're running against former collegiate runners or people who've been in the sport for years. Getting to the starting line healthy and ready is an accomplishment. Start small and work up.

By "second" I meant "current."

Fuck, I crossed the response numbers, 38352269 should come first, 38352306 should come second.

Still believing the ice meme

Yeah I would definitely invest in a new pair of running shoes. Possibly two depending on how much you're running, I like to have pairs I can switch off with. Road Runner is a chain but they should know what they're talking about. I personally opt for the little local running stores, run by and staffed by runners. You definitely want to figure out what your gait is like because that will help drive what type of shoe you should buy. Running mechanics are partly your feet and how you land/stride but also relate to body mechanics- your arms, your hands, your posture, really everything. Shoes are designed with how you pronate and strike in mind. Do bring your old shoes in with you when you go to buy a new pair, they can look at the shoe and it'll say a lot about how you wear it. I can't say enough for the little local shops if you have one by you. My last trip I spent about an hour talking to the owner about shoes, stride and training. He's done 45 marathons himself and had some great insight and wisdom. Not to mention he wasn't trying to push a sale or a shoe.

Throwing away my old pegasus 32s and getting 33s this weekend. I feel like I'm starting a new relationship

hop

For me I had to work on shortening my stride. Oddly enough it helped me to run on gravel to start to hear my cadence and respond accordingly. Its becoming more natural, but it takes time. I especially try and mentally check in on how I'm doing on long runs. When you're fatigued your form can really start to slack. I tense up in my upper body, lean forward and stiffen my arms. Its not energy efficient, so learning to recognize it in training and correct it will hopefully help me come race time.

I'm breaking in my Nike Free 5.0s this weekend :) I recently started a new pair of New Balance Vazee Rush they are SO light

Well, what they should do, were doing, and are doing now might not line up completely. I'm glad you mentioned bringing in my current shoes for a post-wear analysis, because I just don't think the current staff of my nearest RR would bother to mention this. I think I found a reliable local shop. You know what? Apparently there were chronic customer service issues back in the day at RR. Looks like anything will be an improvement, by comparison. Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to keep it in mind for the future.

The gravel is an interesting tip. I did do a mental review halfway on a run recently, and realized that I was landing much easier on the fronts of my feet. I wasn't sure what to think, really, since my understanding is that would be the appropriate contact for sprinting, not anything to do with distance. Honestly, anything that keeps the pinch out of my shins is what I have to go with, I think, even if it's not ideal. Thanks, though!

I'm also looking forward to that excitement. I'm weening off weightlifting because I miss the joy of running 40-50 minutes outside.

Also I love eating and when I used to run I felt like I could eat anything because I was burning so much.

ha, i remember asking myself this question.

All running is not sprinting, but all sprinting is running.

How do you guys usually stretch or warm up before a good run. I'm a total running scrub. And more importantly how do you get better control of your breathing? I start to lose control of my breath after about 10 mins of running

Can I run when I'm bulking? I've been avoiding it a bit, but I really want to run. How can I make it so I can still eat over my TDEE and run?

I would assume just eat a bit more to offset the cals lost during the run

What? Don't you just eat more than you burn? On average you'll burn like 300 calories in a 30 minute jog so plan accordingly.

Don't need to stretch if you're doing long distance pace.

Breath control will come if you stick with it and get into shape.

Keep your routine going, keep challenging yourself, and suffer through it. It will get better and then what you are doing now will be easy and you can push on to a new level of suffering.

Not this guy but I have a similar question: I'm going into cross country and i'll running 35-40 miles a week. If, for example, I eat 500 calories above my TDEE with high protein favoring macros, will I be able to induce any muscle gain?

I'll be lifting Mon. Tues. Thurs. Fri. 1 hour and 15 minutes each session.

For reference, I'm 145 pounds @6'.

I run two times a week for about 25 minutes at a comfortable pace.
Is this enough to get general heart and health gains?

Think I have pattelar tendonitis, pain in left knee while squatting. What do? Even walking sort of hurts sometimes now and I don't want to loose leg gains. Thinking about just stretching and walking a lot then slowly start squats again after a couple weeks.

I'll assume you're gonna run closer to 40 and if so you'll be running about 6 miles a day. I believe you burn about 400 per mile, so you'd have to take that into account and plan your cals accordingly

Went for a early morning jog feels gud man

at 7mph, a 150 pound person will only burn about 100 calories per mile.

Oh you're right I was misinformed. And apparently it's about 120 cals. So just eat about 600 extra