Have a drink (alcohol) once

>Have a drink (alcohol) once
>Taste sort of good, not too bothered
>Days pass, never think of having another drink
>I don't and move on with my life

How do people become alcoholics? They're basically obese/ fat people saying "I can't help it!".

Bad circumstances in life can lead to depression and people using alcohol as a way to escape from reality.

Most alcoholics have experienced life trauma such as death of a close relative, or even just unable to deal with trouble in life such as debt and the weight of living a dead end job the rest of their life.

It's rarely that they drink alcohol and one day they can't stop because they like the taste of beer.

Did you not get drunk or something

Oh my god is everyone on this board a neet with no social life

>People are actually this retarded

It's a chemical imbalance in the brain, typically with neuro-physiological basis you mong.

I'd say food addiction is worse than any other kind of addiction though, just because your addiction is literally everywhere, and you need to eat, otherwise you die. Moderating an addiction is a lot harder than ending it.

Different people just like different shit, many people drink themselves into oblivion because it's legal, popular and socially acceptable. I know guys who do hundreds of dollars of cocaine every night and I know they are madly depressed.

Me personally I like to go out once a week on Friday and pop a molly, I'm not big on drinking, smoking, anything but for a night at the club just rolling and dancing with some sloots is the time of my life, I have a hard time going to the club if I'm not high now which is an issue but that's my point, different substances click differently with people and sometimes it's just a "fuck yeah" moment where it makes you feel better than anything else even if it's temporary, most people are also just fucking losers, but that's my opinion anyway

you only drank once, ya dingus. the more you do something the higher chance you have of doing it compulsively. and for all the shit we talk about fat people here, food is addictive like anything else is. all these things cause your brain to release chemicals that make you feel good, whether its cocaine or beer or mcdonalds.

>Have a smoke (cigarette) once
>Taste sort of bad, not too bothered
>Days pass, never think of having another smoke
>I don't and move on with my life

How do people become smokers? They're basically obese/ fat people saying "I can't help it!".

Come on man it probably doesn't even do anything for you anymore

Way to kill the magic of molly

Pretty much, been on a month break doing cardio 7 days a week and working overtime, gonna keep off it as long as I can, should be easier now I have a lady I'm getting good with so we can do cute shit on the weekends instead of me doing drugs.

>buy a can of dip because friend comes back from the marines and is into it and I have shit job pushing carts
>I like it but don't want to get cancer so don't buy more after that first can
>whenever I smell it from someone else I feel like doing it but control myself
>turn 21 and am able to drink
>enjoy drinking but know 4/5 uncles are alcoholics so it runs in the family
>I know I have an addictive personality from video games so I limit myself to one day of drinking each week max

If I didn't realize all this stuff before I turned 21 I would probably already be an alcoholic and I am 22. I just don't want that with my life. Most people don't understand it until it happens to them.

I drank 2-3 times a week for years at uni, came off it fine didn't have withdrawals and now I just drink on occasions. Imo you'd have to have some serious issues to become an alcoholic

>Did opiates for the first time
>Good euphoria, caught a nod.
>Day after I was totally normal, no hangover
>Days pass, don't feel like doing opiates again

JK I used for a steady 2 years after that week.

I am a recovering alcoholic who goes to AA. People become alcoholics for different reasons. But the AA pov is that alcoholism is an illness. I didn't have any massive traumas in my life. I just liked getting drunk and bit to much. I couldn't have just one drink. When i cracked one open, that was it, i wasn't stopping until i had drunk myself stupid.
All i really know is that life is so much better being sober.

They go out every weekend to "let off some steam" and drink

Loads and loads of people are alcoholics, functional anyway, without realizing it

I totally agree that there are many alcoholics who are in denial or just don't realise. Not everyone who becomes an alcoholic has to have their life crumble around them.
The problem sometimes with the denial is Fear. It takes a lot of bravery to accept you have a problem. But when you get scared, people want a drink. It's a self fulfilling prophecy.

fuck off stacy

of, was it baby's first drink ? did you celebrate your 14th birthday and drank some of your mom's cider ?

It's a very easy habit to form. It can be comforting when you're having a shit time. I have had periods in my life when Id be considered an alcoholic. But when enough is enough I pour it out and take some time off and that always helps.

I drink a lot because it's currently my only social outlet.

When my mates are busy working I drink with the locals and when my mates are off on the same days as me we go out and eat/drink just the same.

It's shit really. It's fucked my workouts endlessly. I'm tubby as shit. I feel like crap at work most days (hungover) and perhaps worst of all it has fucking raped my bank account.

Am I an alcoholic? I don't think so. Just in a shitty spot currently but I've already got a way out in a months time so it's not for much longer.

The first test when asking yourself if you're an alcoholic is to see if you can take 3 days off. See how that goes?

yup

people smoking weed and drinking alcohol are retarded man, i dont get why people dont just eat codeine/trams

>Alcoholism is an illness
Nah senpai, it's not. The reason they tell you this in AA is to strip you of the responsibility for putting yourself where you are. To be fair, it also makes AA quite effective in the way that it unites everyone against one common enemy - the disease - rather than having the enemy be yourself and your non-existant power of will.

It's an old, outdated way of thinking about addictions. Certain people are genetically predisposed to get addicted to things to a higher degree than others. That doesn't mean that the addiction is a disease. It still comes down to the individuals choice in the matter.

My personal belief is that surrendering personal responsibility isn't helping, but rather worsens the situation, and drastically heighens the probability of a relapse.
>I couldn't help myself, it's a disease

The reason most people drink and, eventually, become alcoholics is to escape their miserable lives. Alcohol makes one feel content during intoxication. It's a coping mechanism for unhappiness.

>Have depressing shit in your life / chemical imbalance that makes you feel depressed
>Drink alcohol and it makes you not care about any of your problems at all (or at least it feels like that)
>Feel even worse the next day so drink again just to feel better
>Continue this for a few days / weeks
>Break the cycle
>One week goes by
>Fucked up addict brain tells you that you can control it this time, why not have a few drinks?
>Repeat initial cycle
>Repeat total cycle once or twice a month

That's kinda how it happened with me. I'm not chemically dependent on alcohol because I force myself to take breaks in which I completely detox.

I feel like I'm psychologically dependent on alcohol though because I can't deal with any kind of emotion without alcohol any more. I took a month off of drinking recently and I was crying at fucking everything.