What are the best weight-plate exercises? Assuming you had no access to a barbell or any other weight equipment...

What are the best weight-plate exercises? Assuming you had no access to a barbell or any other weight equipment, besides weight plates, what exercises would you do?

Other urls found in this thread:

calibrefitness.com.au/exercise-equipment/rubber-flooring-exercise-mats/calibre/179-rubber-flooring-commercial-grade?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_9-9BRCqpZeZhLeOg68BEiQAOviWAkHMdlx0lirozBJZmpVIJHI3rlfFhLphr3MvsTVJDRMaAnLn8P8HAQ
ausrubber.com.au/products-1/equine-dairy-1/eva-horse-padding-treadplate-top
crossfitnorthvancouver.com/wp-
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump.

Nah?

I did a 45 lb plate complex and the next day I had carpal tunnel syndrome.

Fuarkkkkkkkkkk

gonna make it

you're making zyzz proud

pull ups with some weights sitting on the ground beside you

Can't do pull-ups :(. I can do up to 10 chin-ups, but pull-ups still elude me.

Beat someone over the head with the weight plate, take his money, and get a gym membership. Or just drop it on your face and die

Chins are better, if you do controlled negatives on your normal reps you can get good mechanical load and muscle damage on your biceps in one exercise. All you really need to do is get a nice pump going by curling plates after and you'll see good gains.

Chest is the hard one, trying to do pressing movements with a plate will just work your triceps more than your chest. Try to figure out some way to do flies and chest-focused pullovers with plates, maybe you can simulate some kind of db press with plates.

Lower body is the real challenge, you're gonna have a lot of trouble getting enough load and you can't do conventional deads so you won't get the trap work you'd normally get from them.

I actually have a barbell so I'll eventually be able to do deadlifts and other such exercises, but I'm scared to do them just yet, as I've not got bumper plates (don't want to destroy my concrete shed floor) and want a friend to oversee that I have correct technique.

Rubber base, wood on top of it and thick rubber where you drop the bar. I used soft rubber on my floor, plywood on top of that and horse stall mats on either side of my power rack, the most weight anyone has ever dropped on it is 2pl8 from lockout on deadlift but my floor is tiles so it's much less solid than concrete. There's been no damage at all so far.

What are your training goals? Not deadlifting is stupid since it's the most natural of the big 3 lifts and the only way you can get hurt is if you put too much weight on the bar, but if your goal is to just get big you can completely drop back squats for front squats and you won't need anybody to teach you all the annoying little things required to get good at back squats.

To add to this, there's an exercise called a stiff legged deadlift which is basically a deadlift with a round back and straight legs where the whole point is to drop the weight compared to conventional deadlift and develop the muscles that protect your back from injury, like your spinal erectors, so you literally cannot hurt yourself deadlifting if you start light enough unless you do some stupid shit like try to explode off the floor to get the weight up.

How thick should the rubber base be? Are we talking rubber tiles like this - calibrefitness.com.au/exercise-equipment/rubber-flooring-exercise-mats/calibre/179-rubber-flooring-commercial-grade?gclid=Cj0KEQjw_9-9BRCqpZeZhLeOg68BEiQAOviWAkHMdlx0lirozBJZmpVIJHI3rlfFhLphr3MvsTVJDRMaAnLn8P8HAQ

or something more durable? What would be the next step up? ausrubber.com.au/products-1/equine-dairy-1/eva-horse-padding-treadplate-top

How much does flooring generally cost?

Also, does the plywood ever splinter into the rubber?

I have three goals. One) to be able to fuck my girl harder, and do more strenuous positions (picking her up and stuff). Two) to be able to push off defenders whilst playing soccer instead of getting shoved off the ball so easily. Three) Get big (long-term goal, but I would honestly really enjoy having my body become as sculpted as can be).

Not got a squat rack or power cage either =/.

Thank you so much for your time and help btw.

The horse padding is probably too thick to put under the plywood, I just used the shitty soft rubber flooring that fits together, the kind they put in wrestling/martial arts gyms. On top of that I just grabbed two big ass flat pieces of plywood from bunnings, I made sure they were a couple cm thick but not so thick as to have a weird step-up when you walk into the gym. The rubber on which I drop my weight is just some heavy square rubber I found at bunnings, I think it was in the gardening section. Ideally, you should use the rubber tiles you posted for the bottom layer, the wood on top of that and then drop the deadlift weight on the horse stall rubber you posted. My plywood so far is doing great but the edges sometimes splinter off a bit so you have to clean that up. If you can afford it you can get the fancy plywood with smooth edges but it's kinda irrelevant. Whole thing cost me about 150 dollarydoos, probably less but I don't remember and I don't want to give you a price that's too low.

As for your strength goals, they're nothing crazy so you probably shouldn't do SS. SS is tailored to somebody who plays rugby more than somebody who wants to get a bit of general strength and look better.

A power cage will cost you about 300 dollarydoos on ebay plus delivery, definitely worth it and you should buy one with a cable attachment so you can do cable rows, much easier to hit the target muscles for a beginner compared to barbell rows. Train like a bodybuilder, do a program like 5/3/1 where you do a couple of heavy sets and then go all out on your volume work. Keep your volume work between 65% and 85% of your one rep max, that's the best way to gain muscle natty. Something like 4x8 @ 70% is perfect for assistance work like rows, presses and squats. I wouldn't do deadlifts as deadlift assistance, either do RDLs for hamstrings or SLDLs for spinal erectors and lower back, depending on which one is lagging behind.

In case you're wondering this is the program I'm talking about. Don't let the monthly progression fool you, you're training to failure every single session and doing each big lift once a week. If you're wondering about exercise selection, I'd recommend dips as assistance on ohp day and db press as bench assistance, as outlined at the end of the book. That's a good starting point and you can pick other stuff later on when you learn what you like and don't like. I don't recommend doing the rep ranges wendler recommends though, he's a lot stronger than you are. You need lower reps to get enough mechanical load to get your muscles to grow as a beginner.

crossfitnorthvancouver.com/wp-
content/uploads/2015/03/Wendler-PDF.pdf

there's something wrong with you.

It's not that out of the ordinary. A lot of people who are beginners with shitty lats have very bad form on pullups but mediocre form on chin ups. I couldn't feel my lats as a beginner so every pull up felt hard as fuck.

Would there be any harm in just working on bench press for awhile first? I'm not entirely sure that I could fit a powercage or squat rack in the space I have in my shed, just yet.

I mean, are muscular imbalances going to occur? And if so, at what point would they become a worry?

Thank you so, so, much for all your help!!!

You'll be fine, just do some bulgarian split squats to bring your quads up and maybe deadlift sumo. The only imbalances that'll cause is the obvious one, you're going to be more advanced in bench and deadlift than on squats, in which case you might benefit from doing SS. You can do front squats with dumbbells or just plates as well, so if you do something like split squats, lunges and front squats you'll be doing plenty of work on your quads without a rack.