Not doing Sheiko

>not doing Sheiko
>not doing high-volume training
>not doing bodybuilding on the rest days and using dumbells/machines after the main work days
>not becoming one with Mother Russia

Come on cyka, do better.

Other urls found in this thread:

powerliftingtowin.com/sheiko-novice-routine/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Volume and frequency should increase over time. Most novices don't need to be on sheiko. But if you're an intermediate/advanced lifter and you're doing a brosplit, you're doing it wrong.

Stop parroting Rip and think for yourself. Novice/intermediate/advanced and their sub-categories are dumb because you will get gains from doing virtually anything. DC and Mountain Dog are LPs and are ran by bodybuilders to put on slabs of muscle. Westside operates similar to PHAT and TM and is ran by elite powerlifters to become even more elite.

Just as a caveat - Russians begin using linear periodisation for their high school boys and school kids. The Chinese put their kids through high-frequency, high-volume training from the get-go. Both of these nations have produced absolute beasts on the Oly and PL platforms.

As a final note - Jamie Lewis and Brandon Lilly began training 6 days a week bro style by doing whatever the fuck they wanted to do and by the end of the first year they were both benching in excess of 2 plate.

Is his novice routine good?

Try it out for a month or two and see if you like it. It's designed to be ran with a coach but if you want to learn how to perform the lifts correctly it is a good teaching tool.

If you have been lifting for 3-6 months get one of his universal programs for his website (it's free).

1. Don't compare yourself to genetic freaks who are selected by Olympic coaches at an early age because they are made for strength and then take PEDs for most of their careers.

2. Basically anything will work to a degree if you have good form, you add weight, and you eat enough. We're talking about what is optimal.

3. I'm using Rip's definition of a novice, but the fact is that training stimulus drives adaptation = muscle size and strength. Once you adapt to a certain training stimulus (read: weekly volume) you need to increase the stimulus to continue progressing. This means volume, work capacity and frequency will have to increase over time if you want to keep making gains. This isn't really controversial, and this is why elite Olympic weightlifters train twice a day, 6 days a week and why you don't need to if you're only squatting 225lbs.

1. You think that ALL of the kids that are trained in those environments are genetic freaks? You think that all of them are on PEDs from age 10? Are you daft?

2. There is no such thing as "optimal". What is "optimal" is defined on a case-per-case basis. It is far better to have training that permits you to cram volume and test at a certain time than it is to test every day and every week.

It is naive beyond belief to think that you won't have things such as stress, lack of sleep or external problems that mess with your training. SS/SL and TM fall apart as soon as you start being stressed out.

3. Again, stop parroting Rip and Izzy and start trying out things for yourself and see what works. If you want to squat 6 days a week, why not? I guarantee that you will make better progress doing that for 3 months than 6 months of TM or SS. If you fuck up, you will know why exactly you fucked up.

Start doing stuff and experimenting. If you think there is a one-size-fits all solutions you will fail not only at lifting but in everything you do.

>westfagots think cyka is said like seeka

top kek

Aкo cи миcлиш, чe cъм зaпaдняк жecтoкo ce лъжeш.

Toвa нe знaчи чe нe cи пeдepacт.

Sheiko has a novice program.

:)

suka bliat

Look, it's pretty well established that you need to increase volume over time if you want to make continued progress. Therefore, unless you plan on training for 6 hours a day in a year's time, squatting hard 6 days a week as a novice is a really dumb idea. And that's assuming you don't hurt yourself - which you may well do because you might not have mastered form and you won't recover as fast as an advanced lifter (despite what Rip says by the way).

Your "why not bro?" attitude is just silly when there are strong arguments against doing it.

Literally go fuck yourself op.
Sheiko just doesn't have enough squat frequency. I do better when I squat 4 days a week. I agree with you on high volume though. But fuck bodybuilding.

"Why not bro?" attitude is the perfect attitude to have when trying something new. Also the lighter and less experienced you are the faster you recover because you aren't working with heavy poundages that tax you. If you squat 6 days a week in the 60-75% range you will feel beaten up and tired but you won't be fully trashed.

Let me ask you this - why are there kids in China who are able to clean 40 kg at the tender age of 10? Don't you think that they know something about something?

That's the right attitude - you found something that works for you!

I prefer Westside. I get one day when I can max out 100% (not many other programs have this), and one day when I can train like a bro on my accessory movements (after the main movement), it's the best of both worlds.

On 5/3/1 you get to max out rep-wise every single session and you get to do all your accessory work like a bro if you want to. Always pick a program that's flexible and enjoyable. I personally periodise my assistance work so I'm doing 4x10 on the 5+ day, 4x8 on the 3+ day and 4x6 on the 1+ day because that's what I like but in the book jim says you can do shit like 5x15 on pressing and lat work so it's really whatever you want to do desu.

>I just finished my first run at intermediate programming

5/3/1 kicks ass which template did you ran?

Are you sure it's just the frequency that's the issue? If you squat 4 days a week you probably use a lot more training volume than most of the tamer 2x a week squat Sheiko templates.

I never made gains on 5/3/1, only my deadlift increased a little.

Not enough frequency and volume for bench or squat for me personally, I ran triumvirate and then later BBB as assistance templates.

I started off doing BBB but switched to my own template that I described in the post you replied to after a couple of cycles.

Lol your numbers are high enough to experiment. There is programs that are tried and true at making individuals stronger/bigger depending on goals and you'll have some autistic fuck wit on a Mongolian lizard trading forum do his own programming. Nah.

Sheiko is dank.

TM is awesome.

5/3/1 is shit.

Volume should increase over time as you get stronger.

A decent training life to follow would be.

SS > TM > C6W w/ added bench volume > Sheiko

I agree with all of this except for TM, TM did shit for me and most other people I know who ran it.

It's actually a decrease in training volume from most novice LP, and it restricts development of work capacity because you need to peak at the end of each week and attempt a PR (limiting how much volume you can use on your volume day).

TM is less of a true intermediate routine and more of a squeezing the last linear progression gains out routine.

I do c6w with decreased bench because of shoulder issue
>feels bad

>the more lat work and symmetry work a program has the worse it is

This is all I see when I read your post.

You really need a coach to do sheiko. How much weight would a novice use for all those different rep ranges.
Granted, sheiko is based af. But you need to know what you're doing before you try his stuff

Texas Method worked for me personally, but I only ran it for about 6 weeks before I stalled. Currently I'm running Greg Nuckol's programs, going pretty well so far.

5/3/1 is shit because the progression is slow, AMRAP are terrible for actually determining what your max is, the frequency on each of the lifts is only once per week, it doesn't actually build your work capacity, and there's a programmed deload week for literally no reason.

nobody is stopping you from adding more back work to any of those routines, they're just templates

sheiko has a little bit of lat work but i like to do chin ups daily

yeah with TM it seems like people either have great results with it for a short period of time, or just spin their wheels indefinitely

i think people who need less volume to illicit a stimulus or maybe have a little more linear gains in the tank after a novice routine do much better on it

did you make bench/OHP gains on it as well?

My bench went from 230 > 250.

My OHP went from 165 > 175.

I gained ~50 lbs on my squat and deadlift each, it's been a while so I don't remember the exact numbers.

Flexible assistance and accessory programming, symmetry is encouraged. A good base for a bodybuilding program where you also gain a decent amount of strength. I don't do the deloads personally, Wendler recommends doing them every 6 weeks nowadays but even in the book it does say they're optional. If your goals are to put up a strong powerlifting total then I'd agree with you that it's probably not the best program unless your progress has gotten very slow and you already put up a lot of weight.

I shied away from Nuckol's stuff after his novice squat program left me with little gains, I liked the bench program though and intermediate deadlift was great too.

I can't criticise Sheiko, I've never tried it because powerlifting isn't my goal, I just think it's silly to straight up call programs shit when lots of people get great progress out of them.

jesus christ is sheiko 5'5 or some shit?

>the progression is slow
not really, increasing your max by 5kilos each cycle means 40 kilos in half a year. thats a perfectly fine increase for most intermediates, even a bit too much for bench/ohp. just because you program for 65 kilos of progress does not mean it will happen. the idea behind 5/3/1 is to avoid stalling.
> AMRAP are terrible for actually determining what your max is
why do you have to determine your max every week?
> the frequency on each of the lifts is only once per week
thats only the vanilla 531 from like 10 years back. nowadays wendler recommends doing each lift twice a week.
>it doesn't actually build your work capacity
5x10 bbb is very popular, how doesnt that build work capacity?

For upper body wendler recommends 5lbs a month which is 70lbs or 35ish kg a year. Not as great for somebody benching sub 2 pl8.

why would you do 531 if youre benching sub 2pl8?

>5 lbs for upper body, 10 lbs for lower body each cycle

Or I can run C6W in a similar amount of time and put 15 lbs on my bench and 30 lbs on my squat and deadlift

When I said AMRAP I meant for the 1/ week. If you start like Wendler says and started with 90% of your max, you're going to get at least 1 rep for several months, and may not ever actually make any progress. Because you'll get to the point when you are supposed to beat your old max, and fail, stall, and deload and start the endless cycle over again.

>Wendler recommends doing each lift twice a week

Did not actually know this, thanks.

>5x10 BBB doesn't build work capacity

When you're moving weights that are 60% of your training max, you're not lifting at a high enough capacity to actually build your work capacity.

Example, I have a 465 lb squat, what do you think is more volume and is going to build more work capacity, me doing 5x5 @ 80%, or me doing 5x10 @ 60%? I'll give you a hint, it's not the lower intensity.

Because you're a noob and you read the T-Nation article that said you can go from benching 1pl8 for 1 rep to 1pl8 for 17 reps and decided to trust it.

5x10 at 60% is a fair bit harder than 5x5 at 80% if you take the prescribed 1-2 minute rests in my experience. The bigger problem with training at 60% in my opinion is that you just don't have the mechanical load on your muscles to make great progress.

>Or I can run C6W in a similar amount of time and put 15 lbs on my bench and 30 lbs on my squat and deadlift
how long are you planning to be able to do that? after 10 cycles of that you'd have put 300lbs on your DL?
>you're going to get at least 1 rep for several months
thats the point
>Because you'll get to the point when you are supposed to beat your old max, and fail, stall
the fuck? why would that happen? you dont just suddenly jump from 90% of your max to trying your old max.
>I'll give you a hint, it's not the lower intensity.
it might actually be tho. but 5x5@80 is another very common way to do BBB. 5x3@90 also

Dang. We are getting an ACTUAL lifting discussion here.