/running/ general

Didn't see a running thread.
Finished a 5-day running routine (M-F) and did weights today (Sat.), can tomorrow be a full rest day or should I do that extra run tomorrow (Sun.) morning?

Bump
About to go for a walk
You should go on an hour long walk for your rest day user
It helps with recovery

That sounds good actually, should this be a leisure walk or a brisk walk?

enjoy your walk fellow user, I have work.

Can you post your routine and what is your goal?

Leisure walk.
Trust me, I always do super light walks for my running recoveries.

Just a light walk.

I tend to have wednesday and sunday off. How long are you running for and at what pace?

Ran 6 miles today. Felt great while I was doing it now I'm at work and want to die

avoid running on more than 5 days a week unless you follow some strict schedule that demands otherwise
but no reason to slack totally, go walk as mentioned above 1-2 hours at slow pace and do various stretching exercises

advice for easing myself back into running after tearing a muscle? I play a contact sport and I want to go back to practice soon. Went out for the first time in weeks and ran about 2 miles thursday with no pain, just a bit of tightness. Went out and did drills and a short run yesterday and felt a bit sore after that so I'm resting today so I don't jump right back in and fuck everything up again. Should I be waiting until there's no soreness at all before really starting activity up again?

I still hate marathon training. I cannot wait until this is over and my sister realizes how running a marathon is shitty. I hope she hits the wall at mile 12 and has to walk the rest of the time.

Cumulative fatigue, activate!

I gets better the more often you do it.

Sounds like too much at once. Do running every other day and slow. RICE. Also, add in hill sprints once or twice a week. I'm assuming you regularly do squats and deadlifts?

I've quit weightlifting because I got bored

I fancy getting back into running

what's a good thing for beginners to do?

Depends on your goals. Long distance running? Short distance? Sprinting?

Don't give up weightlifting. Weightlifting actually benefits runners very well. You need to do a new routine. Just throwing out an idea: have you tried advanced calisthenics? Like say for example pistol squats or ring handstand push-ups?

What's that app called?

>I hope she hits the wall at mile 12 and has to walk the rest of the time.

you're incredibly fucked up.

>Depends on your goals. Long distance running? Short distance? Sprinting?

I just want general health - jack of all trades: cardio edition

>Just throwing out an idea: have you tried advanced calisthenics?

That's my plan actually. By weightlifting I meant barbell training -- I just stopped enjoying trying to reach certain numbers and doing the same shit over and over; it became more of a chore and something to "get out of the way" than something I'd be excited for and enjoy doing

running a marathon is a huge meme. why not go for an olympic triathlon?

Runtastic. Also recommended is RunKeeper and Map My Run.

It's just the soreness. I don't truly mean it. Good thing I can start my taper now.

Before I got injured I was already doing hill sprints. Typically I'd jog to a hill I like nearby and then do reps up it. I do squats but not deads, got injured at a fortunate time though as my uni gym becomes unusable with the influx of freshmen/returning upperclassmen who swear they're going to stick to a routine this semester.

How many times were you running up it? What grade was it?

How far do you want to go for distance?

Because I don't want to do it.

for now I'm happy staying under 7 milesish

I used to do 12 miles a week way back in my brosplit+cardio days but I don't think it benefited me much

marathon is fun, that is, until you hit the Wall at around 30kms and have to spend the last quarter of the distance crawling forward with slow jog and occasional walking because your legs are about to give in

that being said, the first 30km are always fun
the last 2kms are glorious too

it's the Wall that is the brutal, most masochistic part and the main reason why so many masochistic long distance runners are addicted to marathons

(laugh at my time if you want, I was doing at a 10kmh pace the first three hours before experiencing total energy wipeout)

What is the best food to eat about half an hour before a long run on a morning?

one banana, seriously. it has quick sugars and long-effect sugars in it, and doesn't cause stomach cramps.
however, I would advise eating well the evening before, then just drinking something before hitting the road, if just possible.

and if you have to eat, aim 2-3 hours before the run. if earlier, eat some rye bread (again a variety of long and short sugars)

It's gonna sound like a meme to some, but chugging a bottle of soylent 2.0 has gone pretty well for me running, from a half and a full marathon and everything in between. Normally I have a very finicky stomach too.

Congrats on that run! I hate the wall. The first marathon I done I hit it at mile 16 and the last 10 was torturous to me. Luckily, I'm finding that I'm not hitting it until mile 18 during my trainings.

Start with C25K then progress to bridge to 10k. After you are able to do 5k's, start with other types of runs like tempos and intervals during your shorter runs (less than 3 miles). Track work like doing 800m repeats helps a lot with speed work since you're going to run these fast. Also add in hill sprints and plyometrics to help. You can do both of these on your lifting days.

Whatever works for you and doesn't make your stomach upset. Bananas are a common suggestion. I typically have a protein shake made with 1 cup of coffee, 1 cup of lowfat milk, 1 scoop of whey, 2 tblspoons of peanut butter and 1 packet of Carnation instant breakfast. I also eat a Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage egg and cheese sandwich.

7%, not the steepest but I live in a city and it's the best I can get without dodging cars. There's a hill in a park nearby that might be steeper but the path is narrow and I don't want to run into people. I had only just started them before I got hurt, but I was doing 2 sets of 5 usually. I also do plenty of sprinting at practices/by myself when doing drills.

>Congrats on that run! I hate the wall. The first marathon I done I hit it at mile 16 and the last 10 was torturous to me. Luckily, I'm finding that I'm not hitting it until mile 18 during my trainings.

yeah, I have 3 marathons behind me now. Maybe doing one this autumn if all goes well. first one went fine, 2nd and 3rd I got the Wall-treatment at 30s.
The longest training exercises that I do are 1-2 30kms, and a dozen or more half marathons. 21km is easy peasy at this point for my body, sadly it is not helping much when running the real distance.

I think too many +30km runs are too tiring for your body, or maybe I just get too exhausted and avoid doing too many of them. They need lot of recovery, which means many days of rest, which in turn does not suit my running addiction.

running is gay

Not nearly as gay as me. Wanna fuck?

i do that same as you user but thur instead of wed.
mon abs + 3km fast pace
tue chest + 3km fast pace
wed back + abs + 6km mid pace
thur off
fri shoulder + abs +3km fast pace
sat arms + 6km mid pace
sun off

Try them again. This time, add in 1 extra one per session. Try to sprint for 10-20 seconds.

Another suggestion like I mentioned in . Add in some plyometrics.

I have to agree with the half-marathons part. They're way too easy now. I can usually complete those with no issues. Even the two I did as a part of my speed training (since I run a lot faster during races) I was barely out of breath and completed them in 1:30.

It is definitely true with doing too many. It's why I didn't do any of my shorter runs this past week since I was too tired to do them. Though, the 2mile one was actually halted because the good ol' RD and I couldn't get back into rhythm afterwards. I was attempting to run 6 miles on that one.

>how lewd
>don't talk to me again
She's playing hard to get. She wouldn't have hearts as pupils if she was truly serious.

Any sprinters/hurdlers here?

i actually did Week 4 of Couch25k, lads

I ran for 5 minutes straight, twice

W E W
E
W

if you are serious about tracking time (kinda useful when wanting to improve time in races), get a proper running watch.

it's a good investment, a 200€/$ watch should last ~5 years at least and will help you more than some mobile app.

I'm using Suunto R2, but basically any watch with a GPS and heartrate censoring will do. I guess you can get a censor for mobile these days, but IMO having a wristwatch seems easier (+censor belt around your chest)

I run about 6 miles, 3 times a week. Is that too much. I think I'm developing knee pain.

Get the fuck off a running thread faggot.

Thank you for your suggestion!

Mate your talking about the wall like its this incredible thing. It's a combination of extreme fatigue and not enough/proper nutrition. Practise drinking something better than water and eating something small or taking gels in during your marathon and you'll find it reduces pain you're talking about. Ultrafag here before you green text some shit about not knowing what I'm talking about.

I believe you, I hope that after a few more years I might one day try 50km distance, or more, if my body just allows.

and as you probably know, it's not some pain, just a total feeling of utter exhaustion due to diminishing energy resources. a few more marathons and one day I will learn the proper way to minimize +30s fatigue.

last marathon I drunk too much, didn't help much, and somehow just lost will to keep up fast movement around ~33km. More gels and more willpower for next try.

might be also that I just didn't exercise enough, maybe more exercise would have resulted in slightly better endurance, or maybe I just didn't eat optimally before the races.

You sound switched on about what you need to do but if I can add one more thing based on what you said earlier to another guy, you really need to increase your long runs to as close to 35km as possible. You'll notice a big difference is you can manage 35km in training and get your hydration right. Good luck

Why is hill sprints always suggested? I see zero benefit with them for long distance runners. How is running as fast as you can up a hill going to benefit someone who runs a steady pace over a long distance?

variety in training
prepares for the occasional hill climb you may encounter during race days
just why some people choose "high inclination" on treadmills, it requires greater effort and burns more calories.

I can see the variety part. How does it prepare for hill climbs? If it's a race, you are using your slow twitch fibers for endurance. Sprints use fast twitch and rely on strength and power, not endurance. People use high inclines to give themselves a challenge.

>Looks like man
>Has the muscular frame of a man
>Has been tested and has the same levels of testosterone as standard men
>Is allowed to compete with women
>Dominates the races she runs in
So tell me why the Olympics aren't a joke anymore?

>hill sprints always suggested? I see zero benefit with them for long distance runners

Hill sprints (especially alactic short hills) are essentially "resistance" training for distance runners.

Because of the knee-lift and dorsiflexion, and arm drive, required, it is also a good form-builder.

I don't see the resistance part since you can do that running up hills on long runs. I can see the rationale with the form though. Thanks. I'll start doing them for that reason.

How long until Farah takes the lead in the 5000m?

The intensity is an important part of the
'resistance' bit. Tempo or distance running on hills isn't going to be quite the same thing.

>/dyel/
Daily reminder that running is for chicks,fags and ethiopians.

>running is for chicks,fags and ethiopians.
College runners pull more tail than gym-rat bodybuilders, I guaran-fucking-tee it :)

> um... ok...
I didn't say that straight men don't run...I just said that they shouldn't.

Are you watching the Olympics? You see how Farah just dominated the 5000m without trying? He even did something different by running in the lead for a significant amount of time instead of just dominating the final laps. That is why you do hill sprints. In long distance running, your body can use anaerobic systems for energy. Also better strength means better strides even though it's an aerobic activity. You do that by building your fast twitch fibers. Remember there is a fast fiber type that adapts as both slow and fast twitch.

why the fuck would straight men not run? dumbest fucking thing i've ever heard. do you even think before you type?

what about the boxers and mma fighters that could knock you out then fuck your bitch without a second thought that run every single day of their lives?

>n-no only chicks, fags, and Ethiopians do it!!!

>Didn't see a running thread.

Because this is a fitness board, not a Half Starved Fucking Idiot Grounds His Knees, Shins, and Ankles Into Powder board.

Stop feeding the troll. Even Arnold would day they're idiots because he regularly ran. Even Mike Tyson ran 3 miles daily.

MMA fighters do cardio to improve their endurance in their fights. So,in other words; they get paid to do it! Tell me the last time anyone paid you to run, you little cardio bunny.

>Tell me the last time anyone paid you to run
College.

.. but I am a fag. Do I need to start running?

Cash...not a scholarship in the retarded murican educational system that rewards braindead athletes. I remember reading somewhere that many college athletes could't even fucking read.

top or bottom?

You asked someone to provide a scenario in which they were paid to run

You got an answer so shut the fuck up and kys

>proving my point about braindead college athletes
Paid implies cash... not a fucking coupon moron

>sets goal posts
>moves them

wew

Fundamentally, that's all cash is - a coupon everyone agrees to use.

> Shit philosophy 101
A coupon is by definition used only in a limited number of vendors, which is the exact opposite of cash. I sense a correlation between retards and people that find running to be fun.

I picked up running a couple of weeks ago, I lost 60 lbs before then and am no longer overweight- but I still have some fat to lose.

Going well so far - it's a really good felling getting out of the shower after coming home.

Hated running all my life because of being a nerd shut in, playing rugby last semester made me love it though.
Don't play rugby anymore but still love running. The freeing feeling, cardio gains are great but the best thing about running imo is how much it's help me cut. Low carb+running is amazing desu

Tell me the last time anyone paid you to lift, you little dyel curlbro

i can run a 5k but I want to run it faster. what do. i dont think just running only 5k's is efficient for training. most recently I ran a mile about as fast as a could and then I had a few minute break, jogged a mile and then jogged another mile so like variation idk

Fucking hell you autists way to ruin a running general

Run longer distances bro

but i want to run faster not longer >:( .... ok

Who injured here? Tell your story and how long you've been running.

Been running regularly for a couple of weeks now and I've noticed the skin on the bottom of my right foot is peeling? My skin in that area isn't even dry/dehydrated, what's going on?

My current running routine consists of going as fast as I can for 30 minutes twice a week.
Will I get better faster if I run at a uniform pace for 30 minutes or alternate fast and slow

pretty much permanent shin pain from 8th grade track.
My idiot coaches thought it would be a good idea to practice long jump for an entire day on multiple occasions.

How much will running aid in bf% reduction? I'm still on a cut and have lost 35lbs so far, down to 166. I still feel like the 15 lbs I have left to lose won't be enough to get rid of the fat I still have. Will adding cardio into my routine help with that?

Nah, just continue what you're doing. If you want some cardio, sure, but for losing fat, you don't really need it. Just adjust your diet.

>permanent
Shin splints that won't go away or something more sinister?

Fucking hell, run longer, you'll get faster in shorter distances. It's running 101. I never tought I will literally need to use pic related.

I walked down to the grocery market and got an apple juice.
I worked in some jogging, but otherwise it was just a casual walk

I anchored in a 4x100m for a track meet once. it was awful desu.

le assmade mindbending tricky-poster man

Check it out gents, this guy has a $5 bill redeemable everywhere in the world

Figured you guys may know best.

I'm a skinnyfat dude who's getting a bit of a tummy and I want to fix that. [nospoilersonfit]Also I found out how intensive sex is and want to work on my cardio endurance because damn. How do fat people even do it? [/nospoilersonfit] I took up the couch to 5K thing and I pretty consistently feel sick to the point of vomiting after I'm done, headaches also. They stick around pretty much all day after. I figure it's something to do with what/how soon I'm eating beforehand.

Any pointers on that? How do I manage my bodyheat if I'm outside?

Hi, OP here just got home from work.
Well my goal is to lose weight. currently at 225 from 240 (lbs).
I am currently running a route that is
4.2 mi. I finish on average in 40 mins. or so. my fastest time was 39:26 for this route. so calculating pace.. I am around a 9:30min/mi.

OP here,
I aim to run for 45minutes on a 4.2 miles route. usually around 9:30/mi. some days I'll run it slow.. depends how I feel that morning.

thanks for the advice. but I feel like since I am looking to shed weight. I should continue a weekly running schedule.

and thanks for the advice. I'm going to walk tomorrow morning, there's a park with a 3 mile lap.

nice, I will make sure to to follow your advice. thank you!

just bought this.. can't wait for it to come in the mail.

what brand shorts are your favorite running shorts?

I want to get a good pair of running shorts... (brooks, north face, Patagonia, etc)

Seconding this question. I'm using Karrimor running shorts at the minute and the liner sucks and I get seriously painful chafing in my thighs after 10k.

What do you eat before? Are you sure youre hydrated before / staying hydrated?

I don't eat anything specific, more that I have something in my stomach. I do try to make it substantial though. Usually breakfast food as I do it in the morning such as a sausage sandwich and a banana.

I'm pretty certain I'm staying hydrated, I don't really feel that thirsty after. Just that I need to cool down a lot and hurl. Would it be because I'm not drinking (And therefore sweating) enough?

it's been 100 degrees and 60% humidity. i brought my bottle filled with ice and then poured water over it. before i ran 0.25 miles, almost all the ice was already melted.

how do you run when its fucking blazing out? it's just so much more exhausting and enervating. i could barely run 5k today. any tips?

Your stomach might be upset because youve eaten too much or started running too soon after eating. When im lifting weights or running i always wait at least 1 and a half hours after ive eaten to begin training. I also dont eat all that much before. Usually something carb heavy like a banana. Something fatty like a sausage is harder to digest when your body concentrates on pumping all its blood into the muscles. Basically dont eat anything "heavy" and dont eat immediatly before running.

I use some Nike compression shorts. Dunno how the compression part affects my running, but I like how sweat doesn't drip down my legs when I wear it.

What do you do about nipples, lads? I did a 10k yesterday and about 14k today and I feel OK apart from the nips.